• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I currently am maining Yoshi, but nowadays I'm trying to include Pikachu as another main, after I got down how to quick attack cancel 1 or 2 months ago. I currently use quick attack more offensively than usual. Sometimes I overdo it, but that's a habit I should either get over or make it work. Anything else I should do or practice as a possible Pikachu main?

@that guy who has a Pocket Marth: Sheik is commonly considered the best character in the game, but requires some serious practice to handle ssince she plays such a fast game. If you're not up to the speed, Kirby and Marth pretty much covers everything you could ask for. Villager's projectile game could boost that as a 2nd pocket character.

WinterShorts WinterShorts Practice your aerials. Quick Attack is not even close to all Pikachu has to offer, in fact when I play Pikachu I almost never use it. Also practice grabs like crazy, because most of Pikachu's moves have a higher success rate when comboed out of a throw.

Now I've formulated my question.
I just played in a 15-person local and got 5th using :4greninja:, but my best match all night was an 8-player FFA on Big Battlefield- as :4duckhunt:, a counterpick I picked up just this week. As much as I become more and more convinced that I've finally decided I'm a :4greninja: main, I keep looking at all of these other "counterpick characters" I keep picking up with a constant feeling that I should narrow down my roster. I'm really indecisive- what should I do?

(The characters in question here are :4luigi:, :4metaknight:, :4marth:, and :4duckhunt:. I prefer medium speed characters with unique properties, combos that don't center around grab, and an all-around moveset.)

WhittWoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
WhittWoo
I've just started playing Smash. My only other experience has been a few games on Melee a LONG time ago.

Leaning on my experience from other fighting games I usually tend to sway toward bigger characters as I'm not really interested in speed and having to use shedloads of technical inputs. Especially when I'm new to something.

The character I've used most so far is Bowser Jr. As the clown car brings back fond SMW memories.

Back on SF4 I was incredibly rushdown-oriented whereas now I much prefer patient play and a solid footsies game utilising fundamentals and such. Moreso with me using the Wii U GamePad.

With that in mind, are their any characters suited to this style of play? I'm not bothered about tiers as I'm only going to be playing online. I'm more about fun.

Basically:

- Big Character
- Patient, somewhat methodical playstyle
- Zoner
- Solid neutral
- A nice starter for a newbie to get to grips with

Doesn't HAVE to be all of the above. It's just a general idea.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I've just started playing Smash. My only other experience has been a few games on Melee a LONG time ago.

Leaning on my experience from other fighting games I usually tend to sway toward bigger characters as I'm not really interested in speed and having to use shedloads of technical inputs. Especially when I'm new to something.

The character I've used most so far is Bowser Jr. As the clown car brings back fond SMW memories.

Back on SF4 I was incredibly rushdown-oriented whereas now I much prefer patient play and a solid footsies game utilising fundamentals and such. Moreso with me using the Wii U GamePad.

With that in mind, are their any characters suited to this style of play? I'm not bothered about tiers as I'm only going to be playing online. I'm more about fun.

Basically:

- Big Character
- Patient, somewhat methodical playstyle
- Zoner
- Solid neutral
- A nice starter for a newbie to get to grips with

Doesn't HAVE to be all of the above. It's just a general idea.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)
Hmm, a big character with a patient style, who zones a bit, solid neutral? Try King Dedede. People can get very patient with him, since he can bait out people who approach him with a nair or back-air (on that note, he's really good in the air), his up-air goes through almost anything, and gordos make for a decent projectile when played right.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
So I've been having this issue ever since Smash 4 came out. I feel like I don't like the game, and while there are definite things about it I think are poor design choices (such as the amount of hitlag in the game and the speed of rolls compared to previous titles) I know I really do like the game... I just don't like any of the characters in it, or rather I haven't found a main.

I'd say I'm an aggressive player. I like to charge in and not be worried about my opponents defenses or respecting their space too much. I definitely like to be the approaching player, rather than the guy who stays back. I like to go offstage too, and I don't want to be worried about over committing in general. For this, I am willing to take a hit on the defensive game of my character but I don't want to feel helpless. In that regard all I need is a go-to out of shield option, because I generally shield whenever I'm pressured. Another important is that I want to interact with my opponent as a person as little as possible. I don't like mindgames or reads at all, and I wan't to be able to care as little as possible about what my opponent is doing.

I mostly play Project M these days. In that game, I like Marth because of his spike and all of the creative ways you can combo into it. I like Falco for basically the same reason. I like Fox because his nair and waveshine combos feel efficient, and I have plenty of ways to kill you without even thinking, like upthrow-upair, upsmash, and an offstage shine. I like Wolf because he reminds me of Fox and Falco, and I also think he is a well-designed character. I like the way Lucas plays in theory because of his relentless pressure, but I've been too intimitaded by his recovery to invest time into him.

I have tried a few characters in Smash 4 so far.

I started on ZSS, but she didn't really have a good combo-starting approach. To get in on my opponent and start a combo, I needed a read somewhere along the line, and that wasn't working out. She also has a terrible grab, and I like to grab liberally.

Then I went to Diddy. But really he relied on projectile shenanigans way too much for my taste and when the game was patched I abandoned him.

Then I played Sheik for awhile. I'd always thought she was the most fun character in the game, but her kill game is so weak that you really need those reads when you can get them, and I felt like I was doing a lot more work than my opponent to get the stock, almost like I'd be all over them, hitting them, comboing them, dominating them, but every once and awhile I'd mess up and swing to early or something and they'd pick up the "lose change" along the way. Then they'd get one easy hit and they'd get the stock.

Recently I've been trying Marth, but all of his moves (particularly aerial landing lag) feel like I can hit my opponent, but then they can hit back for free. Not right.

I also tried Wario, but I felt basically the same way as I did with Marth, but for different reasons (he has little range/power on most of his practical moves)

Any advice? I'd really appreciate it. I get that picking mains is like house hunting- sometimes you have to give up one of the things you want (like a pool) to get the location/budget or whatever. When that's the case, tell me what exactly I have to give up in a character. (I may have been spoiled a little by Brawl Meta Knight)

Thanks

Last edited:
You need an all around character, with not much projectile focus, a reliable grab, at least decent speed, and moderate range and power? Ok, I'll try and put a few down. :4bowser: :4yoshi: :4falcon: :4pikachu: :4sonic: :4metaknight: and maybe more. Any other ideas anyone?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
You need an all around character, with not much projectile focus, a reliable grab, at least decent speed, and moderate range and power? Ok, I'll try and put a few down. :4bowser: :4yoshi: :4falcon: :4pikachu: :4sonic: :4metaknight: and maybe more. Any other ideas anyone?
Sounds like Mario fits the bill as well. He's also very easy and effective, so he comes highly recommended. Fox too.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

So after struggling for a year to find another main, I feel I get really close to the right answer. Right now, I main:4mario::4sonic:, because they both are my favorite video game characters. Mario being my true main, and Sonic being my other main that also acts as a counterpick character to help cover Mario's bad MUs. Now I'm at my last step: I try to find one more character. Basically, a fun secondary. I have a few questions: What is a fun secondary? What are the most important concepts that I have consider when choosing a fun secondary? How should I proceed to find that fun secondary? Here's what I did and tell me if it's right:
  1. My mindset for finding a fun secondary character wasn't as strict as finding a main character. Basically, I try to go for characters that don't necessarily fit my playstyle, but I find them fun to play or because I like them as characters. Of course, I have to see if I feel comfortable with the character or not.
  2. First, I list characters that I like as a character, characters that I have played their games or simply they are cool.
  3. Next, I try to look for characters that I feel great reward when playing as them and characters that are not boring.
  4. After all this exploration, I have:4falcon::4shulk::4drmario:left (I plan to add more DLC characters in the list if I find them fun or not such as:4cloud:).:4falcon:was my secondary back in 64 and he's awesome.:4shulk:is the closest characters to:4marth:, but Shulk has more versatility. Finally,:4drmario:was my secondary back in Melee, and I love his differences as opposed to Mario.
  5. I try them and I enjoyed them all equally, and I'm stuck now! What should I do next (I need help for that)? I don't expect to find a fun secondary anytime soon, because I want to wait for every DLC character to be released in order to make my final decision. I just want to get the steps, so that I can get this done over with finding mains and secondaries.
Also, is it wrong if I have 4 characters (2 mains and 2 secondaries), but two of them are considered clones (in my case,:4mario::4drmario::4sonic:and my fun secondary)? I heard that for:4pit::4darkpit:is okay due to their similarity, but not sure for:4marth::4lucina:. Is it okay if I have:4mario::4drmario: along with:4sonic:and my fun secondary? I appreciate if someone can answer those questions, because I want to get this thing done with finding characters. I'm just tired of switching constantly.

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys,

So after struggling for a year to find another main, I feel I get really close to the right answer. Right now, I main:4mario::4sonic:, because they both are my favorite video game characters. Mario being my true main, and Sonic being my other main that also acts as a counterpick character to help cover Mario's bad MUs. Now I'm at my last step: I try to find one more character. Basically, a fun secondary. I have a few questions: What is a fun secondary? What are the most important concepts that I have consider when choosing a fun secondary? How should I proceed to find that fun secondary? Here's what I did and tell me if it's right:
  1. My mindset for finding a fun secondary character wasn't as strict as finding a main character. Basically, I try to go for characters that don't necessarily fit my playstyle, but I find them fun to play or because I like them as characters. Of course, I have to see if I feel comfortable with the character or not.
  2. First, I list characters that I like as a character, characters that I have played their games or simply they are cool.
  3. Next, I try to look for characters that I feel great reward when playing as them and characters that are not boring.
  4. After all this exploration, I have:4falcon::4shulk::4drmario:left (I plan to add more DLC characters in the list if I find them fun or not such as:4cloud:).:4falcon:was my secondary back in 64 and he's awesome.:4shulk:is the closest characters to:4marth:, but Shulk has more versatility. Finally,:4drmario:was my secondary back in Melee, and I love his differences as opposed to Mario.
  5. I try them and I enjoyed them all equally, and I'm stuck now! What should I do next (I need help for that)? I don't expect to find a fun secondary anytime soon, because I want to wait for every DLC character to be released in order to make my final decision. I just want to get the steps, so that I can get this done over with finding mains and secondaries.
Also, is it wrong if I have 4 characters (2 mains and 2 secondaries), but two of them are considered clones (in my case,:4mario::4drmario::4sonic:and my fun secondary)? I heard that for:4pit::4darkpit:is okay due to their similarity, but not sure for:4marth::4lucina:. Is it okay if I have:4mario::4drmario: along with:4sonic:and my fun secondary? I appreciate if someone can answer those questions, because I want to get this thing done with finding characters. I'm just tired of switching constantly.
I mean there's no right or wrong way to play the game. If that's your criteria for choosing a secondary and you feel it works for you, then by all means continue doing what you're doing. You've already chosen two pretty viable characters to put time into (Mario and Sonic) so that should cover most or all of your bases as far as matchups go so I don't think you should hold back if your fun secondary happens to be a low tier.

That being said, I do think that choosing more characters and expecting to be competitive at all of them does usually require a larger time commitment. Keep that in mind when you decide to pick more characters up. The most important thing about choosing mains is not choosing more.

What happens next is totally up to you but if I where you I would get as good as I possibly can at Mario and Sonic before picking up a secondary, especially if you find yourself switching mains a lot.

What is a fun secondary?
Good question. Personally, I don't really have criteria for what constitutes a 'fun' secondary. I just **** around at friendlies with random characters until I find what feels right. If I play a couple games with a character and I'm just not feeling that character, I won't play it. Character aesthetics, feel, and reward are all things that go into it but I prefer to focus on feeling things out more than anything else. That's just me though. Do what works for you.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I mean there's no right or wrong way to play the game. If that's your criteria for choosing a secondary and you feel it works for you, then by all means continue doing what you're doing. You've already chosen two pretty viable characters to put time into (Mario and Sonic) so that should cover most or all of your bases as far as matchups go so I don't think you should hold back if your fun secondary happens to be a low tier.

That being said, I do think that choosing more characters and expecting to be competitive at all of them does usually require a larger time commitment. Keep that in mind when you decide to pick more characters up. The most important thing about choosing mains is not choosing more.

What happens next is totally up to you but if I where you I would get as good as I possibly can at Mario and Sonic before picking up a secondary, especially if you find yourself switching mains a lot.

Good question. Personally, I don't really have criteria for what constitutes a 'fun' secondary. I just **** around at friendlies with random characters until I find what feels right. If I play a couple games with a character and I'm just not feeling that character, I won't play it. Character aesthetics, feel, and reward are all things that go into it but I prefer to focus on feeling things out more than anything else. That's just me though. Do what works for you.
Yeah. I already chosen my mains (:4mario::4sonic:), but I just wanted to pick a fun secondary just to have the fun factor. I won't pick this character in tournaments, but I just want to have fun. For my secondary, I really don't care if he's low-tier. So yeah, I'm now struggling between:4falcon::4shulk::4drmario:. But do you know anything about Doc and Mario? If you do, is it all right if I main them together even if they have a different playstyle with same moveset? The Mario boards said that Mario and Doc are considered different enough to be considered as two different playstyles even if they have almost the same moveset. Thanks btw.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
You don't need to pick one "fun character", are you serious? If you're not playing them in tournament why are you stressing it? Your fun character is whoever you want to mess around with at that particular moment. Getting so rigid and serious about playing for fun is a farce tbh fam

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I already chosen my mains (:4mario::4sonic:), but I just wanted to pick a fun secondary just to have the fun factor. I won't pick this character in tournaments, but I just want to have fun. For my secondary, I really don't care if he's low-tier. So yeah, I'm now struggling between:4falcon::4shulk::4drmario:. But do you know anything about Doc and Mario? If you do, is it all right if I main them together even if they have a different playstyle with same moveset? The Mario boards said that Mario and Doc are considered different enough to be considered as two different playstyles even if they have almost the same moveset. Thanks btw.
I've played all of about one game as Mario and none as Doc since launch but purely going off of this and this, I can tell you that the characters are pretty different. It's fine to main them together if that's what you want to do but I don't think they are nearly as similar as Pit and Dark Pit. Doc just doesn't move as fast and has a different Dthrow. That should change the way you approach each character, as far as I can tell.

For simplicity's sake, I would say pick either Doc or Mario and stick with them and then go back to the other clone later if you want to pick them up and main both clones. I'm sure it will be easier to learn Doc/Mario in the beginning if you stay away from the clone and once you get good at one clone, picking up the other should be really straightforward.

Hope that helps.

Kulty

Smash Ace
You don't need to pick one "fun character", are you serious? If you're not playing them in tournament why are you stressing it? Your fun character is whoever you want to mess around with at that particular moment. Getting so rigid and serious about playing for fun is a farce tbh fam
For the fun secondary, I just want to pick one character that I can do some great competitive things with him, while not necessarily win tournaments with him. Like maybe mid-tier low-tier types of tournaments.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I've played all of about one game as Mario and none as Doc since launch but purely going off of this and this, I can tell you that the characters are pretty different. It's fine to main them together if that's what you want to do but I don't think they are nearly as similar as Pit and Dark Pit. Doc just doesn't move as fast and has a different Dthrow. That should change the way you approach each character, as far as I can tell.

For simplicity's sake, I would say pick either Doc or Mario and stick with them and then go back to the other clone later if you want to pick them up and main both clones. I'm sure it will be easier to learn Doc/Mario in the beginning if you stay away from the clone and once you get good at one clone, picking up the other should be really straightforward.

Hope that helps.
Okay. Thank you! I'm asking this, because if they are truly different with status of clones, I just prefer picking another character than just pick Doc, because it will kinda feel boring to play two different versions of the same character. Okay, now I'll just choose between:4falcon::4shulk::4ryu::4cloud:, and I'll wait for other DLC characters to come in order to make my final decision.

*EDIT: I'm kinda okay at managing Mario and Doc at the same time, because Dr. Mario counts for me as a sort of 0.5 playstyle rather than 1 playstyle. So it's like I have to manage later on (maybe, not sure) 3.5 playstyles technically speaking.

Last edited:
Sounds like you really like :4marth:. You should probably stick with him as a fun character. He's great to play casually, especially if you can surprise your friends with tipper skill.

Meanwhile, my question remains unanswered. Reminder- I need to narrow down my list of counterpicks. I play :4luigi: :4metaknight: :4marth: :4duckhunt: at the counterpick level, and don't want 4 counterpicks to worry about. My playstyle is well-rounded with a focus on smash attack placement and combos that don't rely on grab.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Sounds like you really like :4marth:. You should probably stick with him as a fun character. He's great to play casually, especially if you can surprise your friends with tipper skill.

Meanwhile, my question remains unanswered. Reminder- I need to narrow down my list of counterpicks. I play :4luigi: :4metaknight: :4marth: :4duckhunt: at the counterpick level, and don't want 4 counterpicks to worry about. My playstyle is well-rounded with a focus on smash attack placement and combos that don't rely on grab.
Thanks for the advice, but I don't really like:4marth:as much as the previous games, because his moves feel so unsafe. Plus, his sword isn't that big, and I feel that he has less range compared to the rest of the cast. I just wanted to pick someone that plays like Marth or someone totally different. It's a nice change of pace for me to try out other characters. I still play him, but more for fun. As for your counterpicks, the closest character that I can see between the four is:4duckhunt:, because Duck Hunt doesn't have to rely on grabs too much for combos. However, setting up combos with his cans are very complicated to do, but pretty rewarding. Also, his smash attacks are decent since they have enough power and range to cover some space. Be careful of endlag however.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher

Some thoughts:
:4luigi: has absurdly good frame data on his smashes but is very grab reliant. This is a pretty good thing tbh but if he's not your slice of pie, don't sweat it. He should also have a good time against characters like Pikachu and Fox, dunno how true that is post patch.
:4metaknight: has a strong forward smash with virtually no ending lag, making it a great baiting tool. His other smashes are also very fast. He can set up his big combo with or without a grab. Dash attack is king. He's also easily the best of the 4 you have listed.
:4duckhunt: is actually both difficult and pretty bad, and his smash attacks are horrendous. I can certainly see him being a nice counter pick for certain characters/play styles, but meh.
:4marth: suits your spacing style, and his range is actually longer on a number of moves than in prior games. Also not a very good character, but has a few key decent matchups (Rosalina, Ness, maybe Mario?). Up to you, really. Sounds like you aren't sold on him, though.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
So, small dilemma. I'm trying to decide on a projectile zoning character between :4megaman:, :4olimar:, or :4wiifit:(If she even qualifies). :4megaman: Because I played him since the demo, :4olimar: because I prefer this one to Brawl's and :4wiifit: Because the buffs legitimately made her more fun.

H.O.U.S.E.

Smash Rookie
NNID
acrenator
I main Doc for a while now. I really like the character and think he's extremely underrated. However, I know I need a secondary for some more, uh, annoying MUs, like Yoshi and Sheik. I want to be able to take anything on with Doc, but it would be nice to have another character with a little bit more mobility and that isn't Mario because the scrub inside me prohibits me from using him in this game. Anyone can help me?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Pick a high tier that has a decent Sheik and Yoshi MU. So I guess Meta Knight, Zero Suit, Villager, Pikachu, etc are all game.

Ryu and Rosalina arguably lose to both characters and Mario is off the table. More info would be nice if you want a character that suits you well.

Sheik and Yoshi matchup? Yeah, :4metaknight: is probably your best bet, he makes a great counterpick. Other good choices (not including those listed above) are :4tlink:, :4rob:, and :4fox:.

@LordShade: :4wiifit: isn't all projectiles and zoning, mostly time management with the Deep Breathing and mixups with the aerial hitboxes. :4megaman: is almost all projectiles, but not as much zoning. :4olimar: isn't exactly projectiles, but is an effective zoner. Your main is listed as :4myfriends:, decide through their coverage of his weaknesses.

Last edited:

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
So, small dilemma. I'm trying to decide on a projectile zoning character between :4megaman:, :4olimar:, or :4wiifit:(If she even qualifies). :4megaman: Because I played him since the demo, :4olimar: because I prefer this one to Brawl's and :4wiifit: Because the buffs legitimately made her more fun.
I don't play much :4wiifit: at all, but I can tell you she isn't the projectile zoning character you're looking for. Her projectiles are slow and other characters do it much better. Between :4megaman: and :4olimar: depends if you want to be more offensive or defensive. :4megaman: tends to use his projectiles to create openings he can later go in on, while :4olimar: revolves around racking up damage from a range and only going in for a kill.

H.O.U.S.E.

Smash Rookie
NNID
acrenator
The way I play Doc is sort of rushdown, I guess. It is hard for me to describe it but I always like to put pressure at close range with him, making it hard for the other player to act the way the want to. I've been thinking about picking up Toon Link for a while now, since he has many projectiles that can be used as combo setups or to actually zone people out. I feel like a playstyle that focuses more on single comulative hits rather than somewhat long combos would be good for me to mixup my game. I'm sorry if it is a really weird or not optimal way of picking a secondary, but I'll try Toon Link out. If there are any advices or if I picked the wrong character for that please let me know.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
while :4olimar: revolves around racking up damage from a range and only going in for a kill.
Forgive me, but this is a little inaccurate. ^_^ That is not all Olimar does, as he has a pretty decent combo game, one of the fastest fsmashes in the game and decently fast dsmash. His aerials are also above average, and his throws are good, his dthrow leading to a fair, nair, or uair on low to mid-percentages on decently heavy characters. His dtilt also leads to good aerial setups, more dtilts or at least catching them in a utilt. So just saying, he doesn't just sit there and throw Pikmin and go for the up throw. He's a lot more versatile than that. You're underestimating him. No harm done, just clarifying.

Anyway, hello Main thread. I've come to you today because, right now, I'm dedicating myself to four characters in addition to looking to get a good handle on Cloud when he comes out, all at once.

My four bigs are: :4villager: :4link: :4olimar::4kirby: and I'm looking to add :4cloud: for casual play, yes, but I want to be sufficiently effective with him, so I'll be spending smash time labbing him as well. My question is, who should I stop spending so much time with?

Here's some info:

:4villager:While I used to be able to play Villager way above average, around a step below competitive level, and a battle used to be an exhilarating experience with them, I've recently found my Villager to be a bit out of shape, and underused. I'm having a little difficulty being as good with them as I used to be. It might be solely because of the under use, though. I haven't spent a good amount of time with them in a couple of months. However, I still greatly enjoy battling with them, despite my rustiness.

:4link:Recently picked up, never played him in a Smash game before 4. Somehow he feels so right for me. I don't understand it, but I can time and space with his projectiles and aerials like I'd been playing with him for a lot longer than I have. I know where to shorthop to shoot an arrow, or when and how high to throw a bomb that'll hit an offstage opponent, and I don't need to think about it. I just know, usually. I know where the boomerang should be angled to go to hit my opponent because I know my opponent is going to go there. This leads me to believe I'm just good at reading with him, (not that people on FG are super hard to read) though it doesn't explain how I know his tools so well. Confuses me.

:4olimar:Picked up after playing Brawlimar. Really took a liking to him as a character. He has good options and he isn't hard to play as for me. I like being safe with him, something easy to do, though my biggest weakness is maintaining stage control, as he can be knocked offstage with just one lucky shot, and then the opponent tends to have the advantage until I get back on stage (a lot more so with reflector characters). I can play and adapt with him well, and I feel myself growing as I do play him. Overall he's very comfortable for me.

:4kirby:My loyal main through all Smash games. I like him a lot in Smash 4, though not as much as in 64. His combo game is as good as ever, if not better. He has a lot of options with his variety of moves, or he can simply be played as a rushdown combo character, focusing on grabs and dtilt starters early on. His air mobility is great, and he can juggle with aerial combos for a decent amount of time, it's also easy to bait airdodges out of someone with him, obviously. His ledge guarding is great, and then you throw in his copy abilities which can really change the game. I'm good at him, I love him as my favorite video game character, but I also feel.. a little bored with him. Just, not into him as much as a Smash character.

So before I add Cloud into my roster, who should I stick to for only casual play and just drop for everything else?
Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

@above: I feel you there. I still can't decide between my 4 counterpicks. But it's better to have a definitive main moreso than 4 medium-strength characters.

My opinions, based on what you said-
You can send :4villager: to the casual zone. Sounds like you're unconfident in your abilities there, despite listing him as your current main.
:4link: has main potential, from what you say. Link has very few devoted players, but shows potential as a defensive middleweight. Try improving on those skills, and you could get some good results.
:4olimar: is a good counterpick since his biggest weakness is generally matchups. It seems you have a good understanding of what he's really about.
And if you're really that unsure about :4kirby:, don't be afraid to drop him from main status. Have him as a niche character for when you really don't know who to play, but want to remain consistent.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I play sonic because I enjoy fast Characters but having a hard time in certain matchups against Shieks Rosa zss and mario.I was thinking of using my ryu for good kill power but can't make my mind up

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I play sonic because I enjoy fast Characters but having a hard time in certain matchups against Shieks Rosa zss and mario.I was thinking of using my ryu for good kill power but can't make my mind up
Ryu is a great character if you know how to play him, but you have to understand how to use his "true" inputs, how to play the neutral, how to chain combos together and how to effectively mix up his options. He's very scary in the right hands, but he can be a bit tricky to get used to if you haven't played him before or don't have experience with traditional fighters.

MrBunny9612

Smash Rookie
Hi, I am trying Smash 4's competitive scene but cannot find the right main for me, I have tried Lucina, Pit, Roy, Link, Bowser Jr., Rosa and Luma, and Villager. I am trying Villager but hate that he is so easy to get punished for making a mistake and I forget to use grabs and shields because I do not like using the l and r buttons on the 3DS and I do not own a Wii U. I did play Brawl with no main before my Wii broke and can't play any games on it. So if you guys can help me that would be good.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, can you tell us what it is you find enjoyable about Villager? I know you said you dislike some things about the character, but is there something you find fun or interesting?

MrBunny9612

Smash Rookie
For the Villager, I like the knockback that his moves have, but mostly like the grabs that he has, and I have trained a Pit amiibo to lvl 50 in one night.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
For the Villager, I like the knockback that his moves have, but mostly like the grabs that he has, and I have trained a Pit amiibo to lvl 50 in one night.
In that case, I think you may want to keep practicing with Villager, even just to see if you can get over your frustrations with how easy he is to punish.

I won't lie, Villager isn't the easiest character to play (at least for me - I struggle to even get the grab, heh heh), but he is very rewarding if you put the effort in and optimise his playstyle. You will have to play quite defensively and make use of his projectiles, though, which may not be your cup of tea if you're into high knockback moves with good strength.

What I'd do is, go to the Villager board in the Character Discussion forum and talk to people there about how to train with Villager and if they have any advice. You obviously enjoy Villager and have put the time in, so it may be worth your while to continue with that - and if it turns out you don't want to stay with Villager, you can just try somebody else!

Or, if you really want to find somebody different, tell us what kind of traits you want in your ideal character and we'll see what fits the criteria best.

MrBunny9612

Smash Rookie
Okay, thanks. My Brother also wants to try this so, he tries Lucario, Meta Knight, and Little Mac. He has played Meta Knight on Brawl and loved it but he mostly wants to try other offensive characters. He doesn't play that much anymore because he only plays when he want to face me, which I think is fine but he doesn't practice with the characters all that much. His favorite move is Meta Knight's tornado.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Okay, thanks. My Brother also wants to try this so, he tries Lucario, Meta Knight, and Little Mac. He has played Meta Knight on Brawl and loved it but he mostly wants to try other offensive characters. He doesn't play that much anymore because he only plays when he want to face me, which I think is fine but he doesn't practice with the characters all that much. His favorite move is Meta Knight's tornado.
These are some characters that can be played with a very aggressive, offensive style that he may want to try out:

:4mario: :4fox: :4littlemac: :4falcon: :4feroy: :4miibrawl:

Otherwise, I think he should stick with Meta Knight if he enjoys the character. He's very good in this game and you can get great mileage out of him if you put the effort in!

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Hi there, friends. This question thread really isn't going to be about me. It's about my friend. (I'm not going to reveal his first name, so let's just refer to him as Echor) He and I are pretty much practice partners. We play together in online Smash 4 all the time since the game's release, and since that time I've seen him cycle through a number of main characters. (I have cycled through a few as well. I've used Megaman, Ness, Sonic and ZSS before I got to my current home boys Lucas and Meta-Knight <3) He's burned through Kirby, ZSS, Villager, Toon Link, Falco, Ness and Mr. Game and Watch so far. I really do want to help him find a concrete main so that he can finally settle down and practice a character efficiently. He tells me that he's hit a "brick wall" when it comes to his skill level, but I think that's because he hasn't found a definite character to pour his soul into like a lot of us have. So, if anyone can help me connect the patterns of these characters so that I can figure out what his core play-style is and make suggestions for characters that might fit said patterns, that would be great. All I know is that he likes characters with great recoveries because he absolutely HATES being edge-guarded. Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hi there, friends. This question thread really isn't going to be about me. It's about my friend. (I'm not going to reveal his first name, so let's just refer to him as Echor) He and I are pretty much practice partners. We play together in online Smash 4 all the time since the game's release, and since that time I've seen him cycle through a number of main characters. (I have cycled through a few as well. I've used Megaman, Ness, Sonic and ZSS before I got to my current home boys Lucas and Meta-Knight <3) He's burned through Kirby, ZSS, Villager, Toon Link, Falco, Ness and Mr. Game and Watch so far. I really do want to help him find a concrete main so that he can finally settle down and practice a character efficiently. He tells me that he's hit a "brick wall" when it comes to his skill level, but I think that's because he hasn't found a definite character to pour his soul into like a lot of us have. So, if anyone can help me connect the patterns of these characters so that I can figure out what his core play-style is and make suggestions for characters that might fit said patterns, that would be great. All I know is that he likes characters with great recoveries because he absolutely HATES being edge-guarded. Thanks so much for your help in advance.
First off, you might want to use this thread if you want advice on finding a main. You'd have a better chance of getting a good response there.

Now then, onto the question of finding your friend a main~

Out of the characters you mentioned, the ones with the best recoveries are ZSS (high jumps and decent airspeed, combined with an up-b that's difficult to punish effectively and a very strong tether recovery), Villager (I mean...it's Villager), but to be honest, recoveries in this game tend to be better than other Smash games by default. It's worth bearing in mind that you need more than just a good recovery to avoid being egdeguarded: it helps to have a recovery that's difficult to intercept (either because it's fast, evasive, intangible or projects a reliable hitbox), but it also helps to have good jumps, airspeed, air acceleration and / or non-committal moves that can deter edgeguarding strategies. Out of those options and the aforementioned list of characters your friend has tried, I'd say ZSS is the best choice, as she has one of the best off-stage games in terms of survival and recovery potential.

Otherwise I don't think there's much of a core similarity between these characters. You've got your defensive projectile fighters in Villager and Toon Link, your aggressive combo and followup-heavy characters in Kirby, ZSS and Ness, and...whatever Falco and G&W are (not much of an expert on these two, truth be told). It might help if your friend has a certain character or series he's fond of outside of Smash, as unless your aim is to win big in tournaments and you want the best advantage possible, it's often easier to play a character you can emotionally invest yourself in rather than a character you just play for the sake of absolute practicality. Does your friend play other Nintendo games, or did he play other Smash games? If so, who did he play and why?

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
First off, you might want to use this thread if you want advice on finding a main. You'd have a better chance of getting a good response there.

Now then, onto the question of finding your friend a main~

Out of the characters you mentioned, the ones with the best recoveries are ZSS (high jumps and decent airspeed, combined with an up-b that's difficult to punish effectively and a very strong tether recovery), Villager (I mean...it's Villager), but to be honest, recoveries in this game tend to be better than other Smash games by default. It's worth bearing in mind that you need more than just a good recovery to avoid being egdeguarded: it helps to have a recovery that's difficult to intercept (either because it's fast, evasive, intangible or projects a reliable hitbox), but it also helps to have good jumps, airspeed, air acceleration and / or non-committal moves that can deter edgeguarding strategies. Out of those options and the aforementioned list of characters your friend has tried, I'd say ZSS is the best choice, as she has one of the best off-stage games in terms of survival and recovery potential.

Otherwise I don't think there's much of a core similarity between these characters. You've got your defensive projectile fighters in Villager and Toon Link, your aggressive combo and followup-heavy characters in Kirby, ZSS and Ness, and...whatever Falco and G&W are (not much of an expert on these two, truth be told). It might help if your friend has a certain character or series he's fond of outside of Smash, as unless your aim is to win big in tournaments and you want the best advantage possible, it's often easier to play a character you can emotionally invest yourself in rather than a character you just play for the sake of absolute practicality. Does your friend play other Nintendo games, or did he play other Smash games? If so, who did he play and why?
I asked him about it, and he said that his favorite Nintendo games would be the Legend of Zelda games. Link's okay, he's already tried Toon Link and he plays a little Ganondorf, Zelda is... Zelda, so the only character that I think would be a good match would be Sheik. I don't know if he'd like her, though. I'll have to ask him about it.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I asked him about it, and he said that his favorite Nintendo games would be the Legend of Zelda games. Link's okay, he's already tried Toon Link and he plays a little Ganondorf, Zelda is... Zelda, so the only character that I think would be a good match would be Sheik. I don't know if he'd like her, though. I'll have to ask him about it.
Well you definitely don't have to worry about edgeguarding if you're Sheik, ha ha~

The other option is to have him sit down and play every character in the roster in order until he finds one that suits him. It's a good idea to play every character in the roster before you commit to a single character anyway, unless you know for a fact who you want to play.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Tell him to just choose one person and force himself to stick with it (playing against low level CPUs and beating up on the training mode dummy works wonders for solidifying your muscle memory on that character).

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
He'll never find a main if he just keeps switching characters all the time.

When I first started playing ROB, I hated it. I was like "holy ****ing **** this character sucks how does anyone play this ffFFFUUUUUUU" but I stuck to it and got better, and now he's...pretty much the only character I play. Well, I really only played Captain Falcon before, so I guess I just switched mains.

Point is, he should just find a character he likes and stick with it. Practice a lot. Git gud. That's how you find your main. There really aren't any "bad" characters in Smash 4; even the "low tier" characters, you can do well with. So have him just pick a character he likes and stick with it, don't keep switching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom