• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
So I've got a plan. I've moved :4feroy: down to secondary/pocket in favor of the top tier:4diddy:. Once I get a more solid grasp on fundamentals I'm gonna put in :4zss: as co main/secondary. I'll leave :4marth: out for this one, maybe he'll come in as 4th character in the future. But till then it's :4diddy::4zss::4feroy: for me!
(Just an update no questions)

Last edited:

IamStarJay

Smash Rookie
How's it going guys. I've been a casual Smash player the Majority of my life and I think I'm ready to take a try at the competitive scene. But alas I am struggling to find that one character that reflects me. Let me start by saying I'm not a big believer in worshiping tiers. Obviously there's characters better than others yes, but a character not being S tier isn't gonna pull me away, you feel? Now, a couple things that I'm looking for in a character is some kill throws, good aerials because I find my self air fighting the majority of the time, and possibly a projectile. If you kind folks could help me in the journey to finding my main it would be much appreciated. I'm ready to settle down and master at least one character. For now. Thanks again.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
You more or less described Mario. He has good aerials that combo into each other and Bair that can potentially KO. His Fireball is okay for controlling stage. Back Throw KOs.
Taking your interests more literally, then other suggestions could include :4corrin::4darkpit::4diddy::4drmario::4mewtwo: and stretching perhaps:4robinm:, If you leave out projectiles then I guess you could add :4falcon::4marth:/:4lucina: there.
Just saying attributes you are looking for in a character doesn't help much, though. Why do you want those attributes? What are your goals, what's your playstyle? What's your intent?
Because with just what you said, I ended up recommending you 10 characters that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. yet all fit your criteria.

IamStarJay

Smash Rookie
You more or less described Mario. He has good aerials that combo into each other and Bair that can potentially KO. His Fireball is okay for controlling stage. Back Throw KOs.
Taking your interests more literally, then other suggestions could include :4corrin::4darkpit::4diddy::4drmario::4mewtwo: and stretching perhaps:4robinm:, If you leave out projectiles then I guess you could add :4falcon::4marth:/:4lucina: there.
Just saying attributes you are looking for in a character doesn't help much, though. Why do you want those attributes? What are your goals, what's your playstyle? What's your intent?
Because with just what you said, I ended up recommending you 10 characters that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. yet all fit your criteria.

Well I guess you can say I want the aerials because I'm pretty decent offstage for my current skill level. I want the projectile because if I have to be aggressive I find it easy to get in one my opponent with the help of a projectile. I like to play off/around the edge I guess you could say. Thus why I want the kill throw. This is why the projectile is optional because I can get in if I have to be aggressive but it's easier with the projectile's aid. I want a character that can help me control the game I guess I should say. Which majority of the time is edge guarding/juggling. I mean that's the main strat in my mind. This is all subject to change obviously I just want to be comfortable from the get-go.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It sounds more like Diddy, now, then. Diddy has Peanut Popgun and Banana Throw as projectiles, he controls the air and the ledge very well and he has kill throws. Pretty weak kill throws but still.
If you want to sacrifice the projectile for better possible raw kill power, then :4falcon::4marth:/:4lucina:are still choices.

IamStarJay

Smash Rookie
It sounds more like Diddy, now, then. Diddy has Peanut Popgun and Banana Throw as projectiles, he controls the air and the ledge very well and he has kill throws. Pretty weak kill throws but still.
If you want to sacrifice the projectile for better possible raw kill power, then :4falcon::4marth:/:4lucina:are still choices.

I see, I'll test them out and pop back in for an update. Thank You! :yeahboi:

DietDrKelp

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoBackingDown
So I'm a Corrin main looking to cover matchups with either a fox or lucina secondary. Really just looking for simple answer. I know a decent bit about the game, and I used to post a lot in this thread. Just kind of to the point of needing a secondary.

DietDrKelp

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoBackingDown
How's it going guys. I've been a casual Smash player the Majority of my life and I think I'm ready to take a try at the competitive scene. But alas I am struggling to find that one character that reflects me. Let me start by saying I'm not a big believer in worshiping tiers. Obviously there's characters better than others yes, but a character not being S tier isn't gonna pull me away, you feel? Now, a couple things that I'm looking for in a character is some kill throws, good aerials because I find my self air fighting the majority of the time, and possibly a projectile. If you kind folks could help me in the journey to finding my main it would be much appreciated. I'm ready to settle down and master at least one character. For now. Thanks again.
Honestly man, if you want strong aerials, a good kill throw and a good projectile sounds like the earthbound boys to me. Both Ness and Lucas provide these things as well as a great grab game from both of them and a good way to find your playstyle. Ness weighs in heavier towards strong aerials whereas lucas has a better projectile and his kill throws are a little more diverse and has kill confirms off out of his throws (Ness has two but one kills way earlier than the other). If you're looking to play offstage, Pit offers a good recovery with decent aerials, a good projectile to mess with people, and a forward throw kill throw that can help in a lot of situations. Toon link weighs further towards the projectile side of things, but he has a kill throw and very good aerials as well. Anyways, these are all just suggestions.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Please avoid double posting.
What matchups do you want to cover, though? Which ones do you think your Corrin is not enough?
That changes a lot.

DietDrKelp

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoBackingDown
Please avoid double posting.
What matchups do you want to cover, though? Which ones do you think your Corrin is not enough?
That changes a lot.
Sorry for the double post, I just didn't read our friends comment above and was wanting to give some input that wasn't already given. Corrin struggles in a couple matchups far more than others, like fox and sheik for their respective reasons. I've been having issues playing against Mario as well, but that's my own personal issue. I had been looking to Lucina to cover those specific matchups altogether but I was looking for a second opinion. I like the Corrin Cloud matchup, I think Corrin has a really good advantage state in that matchup and believe that the matchup is simply a test of who is better in neutral so there's no need for a secondary for that purpose. Again, I apologize for the double post and all, was just trying to put my thoughts out there for him. I used to post a lot in this forum if you look back. Just have been super busy lately with summer college stuff and work.

P.S. A contrasting style to keep my play fresh and keep me from autopiloting would be awesome but I know that's asking for an awful lot.

Last edited:

Vash_MO

Smash Rookie
So I have played Smash 4 for about two years. In that time I have struggled to find a character I really enjoyed playing for a long time. My first character was Falco, since I mained Falco in Melee and Brawl and generally enjoy the character as a character. I played him for about a year and enjoyed him a lower level since almost entirely just based on the fact that I got to play as one of my favorite characters. As time went on though, I started noticing Falco's severe flaws (this was before his minor buffs to Up Smash etc.) and he became less and less fun the better I got at the game. His neutral was just too clunky and I had to work way too hard to get even one string in. After Cloud was announced I was ecstatic. This was another character I really like. I played him, but didn't lab him that hard. I decided I was gonna go Cloud at one of the monthlies in my area to see how I would do. At this point I had only really used Cloud in friendlies. While I did do slightly better in my first few pools matches, I quickly started to slip. I got really frustrated and just kinda L+R+A+Start'd out of my pool. I went back and tried to lab Cloud and found out while his neutral was better than Falco's by a significant margin, it was the most boring thing I have ever experienced in Smash. What I did enjoy were his combos and setups however. Finishing Touch set-ups in singles are still some of the most hype **** to me. But his neutral was still no exciting enough to me. When I was playing some casual matches with my friends I picked random and got ZSS (Pre 1.1.4). I started going her in friendlies too mostly because I wanted to Flip Kick and Boost Kick people. However I found her high-risk high-reward playstyle was really fun. I played her more and more until I was on the cusp of being a PR threat in my region until 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 happened. In retrospect these nerfs did hurt her play for me (especially and nair and grab nerfs) but I probably thought they were worse than they actually ended up being. She still maintained that high risk playstyle with a laggy grab and crazy combos and strings but her strings became really inconsistent which bugs me to no end. One game you can get one grab and kill someone at 10% and the next game you can get 4 grabs and still not have them above 60%. Maybe it's just because I am bad but this inconsistency in her punish game really soured my experience with the character. Since then I haven't really found a character I have enjoyed quite as much. I have tried almost every character in this game but most of the characters who have this high risk high reward stuff are low tiers (Wario, Zelda, etc.) I have tried to main some of the more "good" characters. I've tried going back to Cloud, I tried maining Sonic which I flipping hated (even though I played the character decently well), and Sheik which I also didn't quite enjoy as much due to her neutral not being quite as in-your-face and fast as I would like.

TL DR; My playstyle is high risk high reward. I like a fast paced read heavy neutral with big rewards for hard reads. I played ZSS until she got nerfed. Her now inconsistent punish game really bugs me. Since then I couldn't really focus on a character for more than 2 weeks. Any advice? lol

DietDrKelp

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoBackingDown
So I have played Smash 4 for about two years. In that time I have struggled to find a character I really enjoyed playing for a long time. My first character was Falco, since I mained Falco in Melee and Brawl and generally enjoy the character as a character. I played him for about a year and enjoyed him a lower level since almost entirely just based on the fact that I got to play as one of my favorite characters. As time went on though, I started noticing Falco's severe flaws (this was before his minor buffs to Up Smash etc.) and he became less and less fun the better I got at the game. His neutral was just too clunky and I had to work way too hard to get even one string in. After Cloud was announced I was ecstatic. This was another character I really like. I played him, but didn't lab him that hard. I decided I was gonna go Cloud at one of the monthlies in my area to see how I would do. At this point I had only really used Cloud in friendlies. While I did do slightly better in my first few pools matches, I quickly started to slip. I got really frustrated and just kinda L+R+A+Start'd out of my pool. I went back and tried to lab Cloud and found out while his neutral was better than Falco's by a significant margin, it was the most boring thing I have ever experienced in Smash. What I did enjoy were his combos and setups however. Finishing Touch set-ups in singles are still some of the most hype **** to me. But his neutral was still no exciting enough to me. When I was playing some casual matches with my friends I picked random and got ZSS (Pre 1.1.4). I started going her in friendlies too mostly because I wanted to Flip Kick and Boost Kick people. However I found her high-risk high-reward playstyle was really fun. I played her more and more until I was on the cusp of being a PR threat in my region until 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 happened. In retrospect these nerfs did hurt her play for me (especially and nair and grab nerfs) but I probably thought they were worse than they actually ended up being. She still maintained that high risk playstyle with a laggy grab and crazy combos and strings but her strings became really inconsistent which bugs me to no end. One game you can get one grab and kill someone at 10% and the next game you can get 4 grabs and still not have them above 60%. Maybe it's just because I am bad but this inconsistency in her punish game really soured my experience with the character. Since then I haven't really found a character I have enjoyed quite as much. I have tried almost every character in this game but most of the characters who have this high risk high reward stuff are low tiers (Wario, Zelda, etc.) I have tried to main some of the more "good" characters. I've tried going back to Cloud, I tried maining Sonic which I flipping hated (even though I played the character decently well), and Sheik which I also didn't quite enjoy as much due to her neutral not being quite as in-your-face and fast as I would like.

TL DR; My playstyle is high risk high reward. I like a fast paced read heavy neutral with big rewards for hard reads. I played ZSS until she got nerfed. Her now inconsistent punish game really bugs me. Since then I couldn't really focus on a character for more than 2 weeks. Any advice? lol
Well, fast paced and in your face as well as punish game driven sounds a lot like captain falcon or pikachu. They're both characters with that kind of style or can be played that way. If you're looking for high risk high reward, a lot of your focus is going to be more toward mid tier since that's kind of a trademark of mid tiers like Roy, Yoshi, etc. Fox is another high risk high reward character that you can play in your face style with. He's just a little more calculated than ZSS and his setups aren't all involving grab. Then there's even characters like Meta Knight whose entire playstyle is involved in calculated approaches, similar to ZSS and followed by punish game. However, MK has proven to be a more difficult character.

That's kind of the shorter answer.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
After watching False at EVO I've decided I want to become a counterpick player. I'm gonna start with 6 characters (will narrow down eventually) and right now I've got :4diddy::4feroy::4marth:. I wanna get 2 more out of :4peach::4pikachu::4ryu::4tlink::4zss::4dk:. Who should I pick for maximum coverage?

Last edited:

GoodGuy

Smash Rookie
After watching False at EVO I've decided I want to become a counterpick player. I'm gonna start with 6 characters (will narrow down eventually) and right now I've got :4diddy::4feroy::4marth:. I wanna get 2 more out of :4peach::4pikachu::4ryu::4tlink::4zss::4dk:. Who should I pick for maximum coverage?
I would suggest adding :4dk: or :4bowser:to your roster as he is not hard to pick up as well as most top players these days are taking games off people that use :4fox::4sheik:and :4bayonetta: due to them being fast fallers who are also light weight leaving them with huge ranges for ding-dong percentage if you are having troubles with those characters. This could also help fundamentals and spacing as well as reads which will help with your other characters as well. I would suggest also picking easier characters if you are going for counterpicking because having around 5 characters means a lot less time to learn the highly demanding and technical characters such as :4peach:and :4ryu:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I would suggest adding :4dk: or :4bowser:to your roster as he is not hard to pick up as well as most top players these days are taking games off people that use :4fox::4sheik:and :4bayonetta: due to them being fast fallers who are also light weight leaving them with huge ranges for ding-dong percentage if you are having troubles with those characters. This could also help fundamentals and spacing as well as reads which will help with your other characters as well. I would suggest also picking easier characters if you are going for counterpicking because having around 5 characters means a lot less time to learn the highly demanding and technical characters such as :4peach:and :4ryu:
Ok in that case I'll drop :4peach::4ryu:and leave them for friendlies. Also I'll add :4dk:or:4bowser:. Any reason I should take one over the other?

Edit: this still leaves me to pick 2 between :4pikachu::4tlink::4zss:. Who should I go with?

Last edited:

GoodGuy

Smash Rookie
Ok in that case I'll drop :4peach::4ryu:and leave them for friendlies. Also I'll add :4dk:or:4bowser:. Any reason I should take one over the other?

Edit: this still leaves me to pick 2 between :4pikachu::4tlink::4zss:. Who should I go with?
I'm not exactly a :4bowser: or :4dk: main but I've just heard that :4bowser: has more out of shield options with Up-B out of shield as well as a better recovery while :4dk: has a stronger neutral with spaced Bairs and an overall better ground game. If your looking for two more then it seems you may possibly want :4zss:as I think she has strong advantages against :4bowser: and :4dk:. Then I honestly think it's a toss up between :4tlink: and :4pikachu: with whoever you enjoy the most. :4tlink: can round your characters out by adding a more defensive pick if your looking for defensive options at the time while :4pikachu: can help you with MU's such as :4zss: and :4falcon: because he is short and can crouch many of their moves and can be a useful zonebreaker if needed. Quick Attack and quick attack cancels could be harder to master than bomb setups. In the end it's whether you feel you need more offense or defense on your team.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
The best counterpick characters are probably Meta Knight, Rosa, Zero Suit. Anyone who has really polarizing matchups.
Out of the three you've mentioned, ZSS is the strongest, and has very strong heavy matchups, can handle Rosalina and any slow zoners that can't keep her out (Robin, ROB, etc.)
Pikachu is way too hard to be a counterpick character, and I don't think he really bodies any character in this game.
Toon Link can play campy and is notably hard to combo, so there's that.

Between Bowser and DK, I've heard from different people that one is better than the other, so I think they're of very similarly strength. It's really up to personal preference, but DK definitely sees more use in counterpicking at high level. See Larry Lurr, Tweek, False, even Mew2King I think. Both characters can unga themselves through many matchups with simple kill confirms.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Still don't have a main in Smash 4. Played literally every character, and even after 3 years, I still have no solid best character.

My fundamentals are already sharp, and I play fast games, but I lose to stupid character gimmicks, time outs, and jank all of the time. I just want to play a character that is good, with decent tech, little or no gimmicks, and actually rewards people for proper and precise execution. I also would prefer top 15 characters over the rest of the cast.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
mewtwo, sheik or falcon maybe?

marth could possibly work as well, if you're willing to reach a little bit

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Still don't have a main in Smash 4. Played literally every character, and even after 3 years, I still have no solid best character.

My fundamentals are already sharp, and I play fast games, but I lose to stupid character gimmicks, time outs, and jank all of the time. I just want to play a character that is good, with decent tech, little or no gimmicks, and actually rewards people for proper and precise execution. I also would prefer top 15 characters over the rest of the cast.
Ryu or Marth. Both characters string weak hits into stronger ones.

Ryu because execution in inputs. Has crazy strong punishes.

Marth because execution of spacing and zoning. If you count tippers as a gimmick, then don't play him.

DietDrKelp

Smash Rookie
NNID
NoBackingDown

Honestly, if you want the least amount of gimmicks and the most reward for your precision, Sheik is the best character in the game for this. However, she is susceptible to things that one might consider jank because of her light weight and her fast falling.
-TOP-
S: Bayonetta, Diddy Kong, Cloud, Sheik
A: Sonic, Mario, Fox, Rosalina & Luma, Mewtwo, Marth, Zero Suit Samus, Ryu
-HIGH-
B: Corrin, Meta Knight, Pikachu
These are the top 15 characters in the game as deemed by the 4BR Smash for Wii U Tier List. Amongst these characters, ones least susceptible to jank are Mario, Sonic, Marth and Corrin due to their nuetral games, punishes and their recoveries. I believe that these at least one of these four characters would probably do you good to play. They test your skill in neutral (Sonic to a lesser degree than the others), all have simple combos and are rewarded well for fundamentals and execution in their own respective ways. Even if you don't end up liking/having fun with the characters, I believe they will help you improve on a facet of your gameplay. Mario helps you learn how to get in better in neutral as well as rewards execution, Sonic tests and improves your patience as well as mind games and opportunism, Marth helps with spacing, resetting and winning neutral and gives you ways to punish things harder than some other characters, and Corrin tests how well you can keep someone in a disadvantage state, how well you can bait and wiff punish and how well you can execute and space things like tipper Dragon lunge and pivot forward smash. I hope this helped some.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Honestly, if you want the least amount of gimmicks and the most reward for your precision, Sheik is the best character in the game for this. However, she is susceptible to things that one might consider jank because of her light weight and her fast falling.
-TOP-
S: Bayonetta, Diddy Kong, Cloud, Sheik
A: Sonic, Mario, Fox, Rosalina & Luma, Mewtwo, Marth, Zero Suit Samus, Ryu
-HIGH-
B: Corrin, Meta Knight, Pikachu
These are the top 15 characters in the game as deemed by the 4BR Smash for Wii U Tier List. Amongst these characters, ones least susceptible to jank are Mario, Sonic, Marth and Corrin due to their nuetral games, punishes and their recoveries. I believe that these at least one of these four characters would probably do you good to play. They test your skill in neutral (Sonic to a lesser degree than the others), all have simple combos and are rewarded well for fundamentals and execution in their own respective ways. Even if you don't end up liking/having fun with the characters, I believe they will help you improve on a facet of your gameplay. Mario helps you learn how to get in better in neutral as well as rewards execution, Sonic tests and improves your patience as well as mind games and opportunism, Marth helps with spacing, resetting and winning neutral and gives you ways to punish things harder than some other characters, and Corrin tests how well you can keep someone in a disadvantage state, how well you can bait and wiff punish and how well you can execute and space things like tipper Dragon lunge and pivot forward smash. I hope this helped some.
Thank you for the advice

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I'm back and had practice. so here's my situation:
I play :4feroy::4diddy:.
I struggle with:4bowser::4dk::4fox::rosalina:.
I've played around with characters and :4zss::4fox:are the ones i wanna look at for the 3rd.
Who can cover all, if not most of those MU's?

Last edited:

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet
After playing :4bayonetta2: for a while now, I'm bored, and want a new main. All I want is a character that has really good throw combos (especially downthrow). So what characters have the best throw combos?

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
mario, luigi, shiek, bowser, dk, pikachu, and maybe falcon or diddy; out of the low tiers there are basically only kirby and game and watch

prolly missing a few but that should be most of them at least

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
After playing :4bayonetta2: for a while now, I'm bored, and want a new main. All I want is a character that has really good throw combos (especially downthrow). So what characters have the best throw combos?
For down throw you want :4falcon::4luigi::4mario::4ness::4rob::4zss::4gaw:.
Do you want extensive combos, or just ones that deal a lot of damage in 2-3 hits? Also what else do you want from the character? Good recovery? Good neutral? Etc.

Justinian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GenoAzelf
If literally all you're looking for is throw combos, Bowser and DK are your best options. If you want a character with a strong grab game, but not the best, and a good kit otherwise, try Falcon, MK, Sheik, or a Mario bro.

bubbyq12

Smash Cadet
For down throw you want :4falcon::4luigi::4mario::4ness::4rob::4zss::4gaw:.
Do you want extensive combos, or just ones that deal a lot of damage in 2-3 hits? Also what else do you want from the character? Good recovery? Good neutral? Etc.
I also enjoy characters with range and a good recovery. And thanks for all the replies from everyone! I will try out all the characters suggested.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
I also enjoy characters with range and a good recovery. And thanks for all the replies from everyone! I will try out all the characters suggested.
Ok so good grab game, range, and recovery gets you :4bowser::4rob::4zss::4link:. I'd recommend :4zss: since she's similar to Bayo who you're coming off of and she's the best out of them.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Hello.
I decided to drop Ryu after getting smoked at SCR Saga against a Corrin and a Falcon. During these matches I didn't feel in control of the situations I found myself in.
I think I'm looking for a character with a usable projectile (Hadoukens don't count), a decent kill throw, strong mixup options and good KO power. Complexity isn't really a deterrence for me. I dabbled in Peach and enjoy her style, but gave her a break to focus on Ryu a while ago. Do you guys think Peach would be a good option for me? Or do you guys have suggestions? *I won't play ZSS because I don't enjoy her playstyle

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Hello.
I decided to drop Ryu after getting smoked at SCR Saga against a Corrin and a Falcon. During these matches I didn't feel in control of the situations I found myself in.
I think I'm looking for a character with a usable projectile (Hadoukens don't count), a decent kill throw, strong mixup options and good KO power. Complexity isn't really a deterrence for me. I dabbled in Peach and enjoy her style, but gave her a break to focus on Ryu a while ago. Do you guys think Peach would be a good option for me? Or do you guys have suggestions? *I won't play ZSS because I don't enjoy her playstyle
Normally I would treat this as a knee-jerk reaction to getting bodied and wouldn't respond, but I remember you mentioning that you were considering dropping Ryu in the past, so if you're serious about this then here's my take.

Play who you want, and yeah it sounds like you could get a lot out of Peach (especially if you like the character) but I read this and the one character that screamed out to me was Mewtwo.
-Controls the pace excellently with his neutral. He's got some excellent mobility to set the pace (good initial dash and dash speed, good air speed, good walk speed, good perfect pivot) He's got moves like D-tilt and f-air, both of which most characters struggle to challenge, SBall which commands respect and Confusion is low-key one of the best moves in the game and forces very specific situations such as forcing them to use their double jump, punishing dash to shield and so on.
He just has one of the best neutrals in the game and if you want to feel in control, there's nothing quite like that.
-SBall is one of the best projectiles in the game with a ton of applications.
-Strong mixup potential, especially out of airdodge, but not limited to that of course.
-Mewtwo up throw is arguably the best kill throw in the game.
-He's got more kill power than he knows what to do with.

His advantage state is also pretty crazy when it comes to forcing 50/50s and the like. If you're good at these mindgame concepts like 50/50s and yomi, there is a lot to love in Mewtwo because he rewards it greatly.

You may not like Mewtwo, fair enough, but if you're serious about dropping Ryu consider giving him a go and see if he clicks.

Apart from that, then yeah sounds like you could get a lot of mileage out of Peach too. Especially if you enjoy her.
I'm back and had practice. so here's my situation:
I play :4feroy::4diddy:.
I struggle with:4bowser::4dk::4fox::rosalina:.
I've played around with characters and :4zss::4fox:are the ones i wanna look at for the 3rd.
Who can cover all, if not most of those MU's?
OK so here's my take, and you may not like what I've got to say but hear me out anyway.

My suggestion is stick with either Roy or Diddy, don't bother learning anyone else alongside them unless that character is Ike - I'll explain why Ike later.

The problem here is nothing to do with your characters. In fact I think you realise that yourself - hence your wording "I struggle with".

There are two reasons I can think of as to why this might be the case. Number one, you don't understand your options, and the options of these problem characters, fully. Number two, your fundamentals need more work.

Picking up a new character for these four matchups will not help you with either of these things. In fact, it will do the exact opposite, especially if the character you decide to pick up is one as complicated as Zero Suit Samus or Fox. These characters take a ludicrous amount of time invested to actually be good with, even if you're the best player in the game. And with the greatest respect, as someone who appears to change characters about as often as you brush your teeth, I do not think that picking up either of these two is right for you, unless you are going to commit to that one character and give them the time and focus they demand in order to be able to apply them to win the matchups you want them to.

Instead, here is what I suggest. There are two options.
Option 1: stick the characters you already have a solid grasp of since you've been playing them for a while, and grind out the fundamentals of Smash 4 whilst learning your character's options and how to apply them in greater depth. The two go hand in hand - knowing your options allows for improved split-second decision making and forward planning - fundamental skills for every Smash (and fighting) game, not just Smash 4. Hell, they're even fundamental skills of life.
Once you have done this, you will find that you will be able to circumvent the vast majority of players of these characters, only stumbling at the players that are more experienced than yourself, even with the characters you are currently using, despite the trouble now.

Option two: Ike.
So we've already established that we need to work on your option awareness and fundamentals. Ike is perfect for this for a number of reasons.
Reason 1 - he is a blank slate. He will make any habits you've carried over from other characters immediately obvious.
Reason 2 - Ike is not an option rich character. He has only the fundamental options he needs to deal with situations, but the options he does have are perfectly viable. This will make it easier to learn your options and how to apply them.
Reason 3 - Ike demands good fundamentals or you will not win. Although Ike does have strong options, they are only strong if your fundamentals are strong. Ike is the most brutally honest character in the game. How good or bad you are at Smash 4 will be reflected perfectly in Ike.

Reasons 2 and 3 sum up why low tier mains are able to perform well at large tournaments - they're smart as **** and are better at the game than people who only get results with better characters because playing a lesser character has forced them to be.

By learning and getting good with Ike, you will be able to rectify two problems with your play that are giving you issues with the four characters you mentioned in your post - option awareness and fundamentals (and by extension of the two, your informed decision making will improve massively and you'll start making the correct decision much more often.)
When you start winning consistently with Ike, you know you are good at this game.

Obviously though you do have to actually learn how to play Ike for this strategy to be effective. I strongly recommend you visit the Ike Boards on this website, or the Ike Discord (find it on Smashcords). As a bonus, good Ike players tend to be really good at Smash 4 for the reasons above so they can help you with learning the game as well.

Everything you can learn from Ike is transferable to most other characters in this game.

If you take one, or both, of these action plans, you will become far better at the game and these characters will become trivial in the hands of most players. You will still struggle with players of these characters who are just better than you, but when you are at this stage, this is player vs player matchup, not character vs character matchup or player vs character (which is your issue now I reckon).

Be patient with this and you will notice the difference.
Good luck, and keep at it.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I used M2 before he got the mobility buff (hah, this was back when people were debating if his bair was good or sucked) and enjoyed his style. It also hadn't occured to me to try using him again, so I'll give Mewtwo another go (in addition to trying Peach). Thanks!

Edit: Spent about a week using Peach and Mewtwo. I find myself doing worse with these chars than I did previously. I'll just stick with Ryu for the remainder of the game's lifespan, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
PK Bash PK Bash woe that was awesome. Thank you.
But, you're not wrong but it's not as bad. My fundamentals are decent for the level I'm at and I'm working on them. I use :4myfriends: in friendlies to help. But I might use home in bracket at a smaller weekly or something. I used the phrase "I struggle with" because they are bad matchups for me and do well against my characters. Also I was looking into :4fox:and :4zss: for also fun factor. I would enjoy using another character more because I have less fun with just 2. I would of course limit myself to 3 for the reasons that using too many characters is a bad idea. So I was looking for characters to fit both sections and it was :4zss: I was gonna pick. Purely for the fact that she's fun and it'll keep me playing the game more. But still I thank you for the time you've put in and the advice you've given, it means a lot. So I will continue to improve my fundamentals more and more to get better, but I wanna add her for the sake of fun.

Also I missed a couple the mus I lose to are :4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4rob::4fox::rosalina: and maybe :4sonic:.

Last edited:

DeltaForce

Smash Cadet
Nice_FZPSC.42 Nice_FZPSC.42
All right I'll be brief, losing to :4bowser: :4charizard: :4dedede: :4dk: are not any fault to your character, you are getting out-skilled end of story Rosa Rob and Sonic mean you struggle with wallers and you need to just play them ( as in MUs, you lose to none of them. Fox idk enough about but Nairo seems to go even with Larry Lurr. I would be worried about Pikachu though. In short you did not name any bad MUs you just need to get better, if you lose to big chars it probs means you have bad habits work on those. You worry too much on chars and not enough on your fundamentals. Even if you claim that your fundamentals are above average for your level, you also need character specific fundamentals and when you are changing chars so fast that you lose any of those char specific fundamentals, just Stick with a character for at least a few months

Last edited:

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

Brawl vet here. Played Sheik and Snake in Brawl. Played Sheik because I like her gimping and custom combos. Played Snake because I liked his oppressive neutral, kill power, and grenades.
Took a break from smash when smash 4 came out. Got back into it late (when Corrin came out) and people told me :4sheik: was finally good, so I mained her since. I now am really tired of Sheik in this game. Can't gimp like in Brawl, set combos that don't make Sheik Sheik to me, and so very tired of dying super early after working hard to rack percent or kill. She's just not fun to me in this version of smash.
Trying to figure out who I should main between :4cloud:, :4marth:, and :4diddy:. I've played each character for about a month and like all three. I like Cloud's kill power, movement, and big hit boxes, but don't like potentially getting gimped super early. I like Marth's kill power, gimping, and ledge pressure, but don't like how I have no projectiles or something to do if the opponent tries to camp except to semi approach and hope he miss-spaces. I like Diddy's movement, safe kill confirms, and his throws, but just don't understand how to utilize bananas.

I guess my biggest thing about choosing one of the three is committing to one, because playing all three is too much and I don't want to spend months playing one of them and finding out that the character wasn't for me like I did with Sheik. I'd rather just play one character instead of dual maining.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Hey. I didn't even see this dang thing here. Well, here goes. So I used to be a :4robinm: main since 3DS but I quit in 1.1.5 since...well, I've had issues. Now that I'm back, I'm looking to start anew.

Since I've run into some friends of mine who have rekindled my thing for Robin, he'll be one my page as usual. Though...the other two are hard to figure out. I don't know what other characters there are to choose from but I don't want to be a one-trick pony.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Hey. I didn't even see this dang thing here. Well, here goes. So I used to be a :4robinm: main since 3DS but I quit in 1.1.5 since...well, I've had issues. Now that I'm back, I'm looking to start anew.

Since I've run into some friends of mine who have rekindled my thing for Robin, he'll be one my page as usual. Though...the other two are hard to figure out. I don't know what other characters there are to choose from but I don't want to be a one-trick pony.
So is this a statement of are you asking about other characters to play?

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Yes. Because I'm not too sure who else to play other than Robin right now since I've gone back to him a little.

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
Yes. Because I'm not too sure who else to play other than Robin right now since I've gone back to him a little.
What do you want the character to have? Give me some help here. To cover robin's mu's? To have good combos? Another trapper like robin? Etc.

I'm looking for a character kinda similar to Sombra in this game.

Like, aggressive but supplements that playstyle with heavy disruption and trickery.
Honestly Idk much of who would fit that but I guess :4greninja: would work. So try him out.

Top Bottom