• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Here's an interesting topic to dicuss. How important do you guys think that Roy was in raising interest for FE in Melee? Would Marth alone been just as successful in your opinion?

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Here's an interesting topic to dicuss. How important do you guys think that Roy was in raising interest for FE in Melee? Would Marth alone been just as successful in your opinion?
Roy got his own cult audience. People such as myself just thought his overall character was a lot cooler than Marth, who left a very feminine taste in gamers mouths. To me, Marth just seemed like a generic swordsman. Roy on the other hand, the character design, voice clips and the fire gimmick overall made me more curious about what game he and Marth came from.

Because i at first assumed Roy and Marth were from the same game, and possibly even related. It's too bad that ever since then, Roy's game still has never been localized. Despite there being big interest for it. FE6 and Mother 3 share that pain with each other.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't around for Melee, but I feel like Marth only wouldn't be able to sell me on Fire Emblem. Roy, as the commenter said above me, doesn't seem like a normal swordsman, with the cool fire effects and "HYAHH!" However, just Roy in Melee would not have been enough. The two needed to work together to bring FE to the western audience. For people who had their FE interest spiked by Melee, it was probably the combination of Roy's cool fiery attacks and Marth's elegant swordsmanship that did it. However, it's just speculation. I personally tried out Fire Emblem because my friends pestered me for weeks... it wouldnt end

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think having Roy and Marth together in Melee was what made Fire Emblem have such a resounding impact for years to come. Once again, while Marth was cool Roy had a certain Flare. Roy also would have promoted a Japanese interest for Fūin no Tsurugi, so I think Roy contributed quite a lot to developing Fire Emblem's success for decades to come.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Marth didn't stand out so much to me. His color theme was all one color and his only weapon was a sword, which looked weird in comparison to Link who had a shield and projectiles.
Then when I unlocked Roy it was different. His clothes stood out, his sword stood out, his fire made him seem special. He looked more like a protagonist than Marth. Roy brought the Fire in Fire Emblem.

Of course I later realized that Marth was a better fighter in Melee, but I would prefer to use Roy if that weren't the case. Now in sm4sh I'd use either since I already like them both. Marth ended up being my most used character in Brawl and I really like his reward for spacing.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Roy got his own cult audience. People such as myself just thought his overall character was a lot cooler than Marth, who left a very feminine taste in gamers mouths. To me, Marth just seemed like a generic swordsman. Roy on the other hand, the character design, voice clips and the fire gimmick overall made me more curious about what game he and Marth came from.
I'm gonna have to ask what you mean by that. Elaborate plz?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
It's funny because back then I used to play Melee with a friend a lot. She always used to play Marth and while I didn't think he looked girly, she always used to complain at people who mistook Marth as a girl, saying things like, "If only Marth didn't wear that headband, then people would stop calling him a girl!" I initially chose Roy as my main because he's the other FE character, while my friend mained Marth, so we had some awesome :marthmelee: & :roymelee: tag-teams, but also rivalries. It would be nice to have :4marth:and :roypm:tag-teams again in Smash 4. The nostalgia is strong in that one!

Bishies make make gamers feel uncomfortable with their sexuality as @Soul Blazer would put it.
Preposterous! Bishies are awesome and should make people feel comfortable with their sexuality and feel MANLY!!

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's...

Wow, that's incredibly insensitive.

At any rate, this isn't the time for that.

NOW IT'S ROY TIME.

EDIT: I'd also like to remind people that Marth's tiara is a memento of his dead sister.

Marth is so metal he wears a dead girl's crown while he cuts you down with peace and love.

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
That's...

NOW IT'S ROY TIME.

EDIT: I'd also like to remind people that Marth's tiara is a memento of his dead sister.

Marth is so metal he wears a dead girl's crown while he cuts you down with peace and love.
I like Marth, not meaning to bash on the guy. :p

The "Marth looks like a girl" thing is just kind of funny at times.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

That's not the crux of my concern and you know it.

Let's not turn this into something ugly, though. Roy would not stand for such vulgar ignominy.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman

You may think that, and I'm sure a lot of other people do too, but some of us don't. I find it quite annoying, it's so old and over-used, just like the Roy and Roy Koopa jokes and Ridley and Chrom jokes. Ugh. *cringe*

I really don't think Marth looks like a girl. Maybe it's because I watch a lot of anime(which is filled with feminine men) so that now, I can tell if a character is a man or a woman. But, seriously, I'm not seeing it.

And like a previous poster said, Marth wears the 'tiara' in memento to his sister who is no longer with him, and I despise when people make fun of it.

That being said, I apologize if I offended you, or de-railed this thread, but, hey, Marth is bae my favourite character, so I can be very...what's the word...overprotective of him at times. Again, deepest apologies.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
You may think that, and I'm sure a lot of other people do too, but some of us don't. I find it quite annoying, it's so old and over-used, just like the Roy and Roy Koopa jokes and Ridley and Chrom jokes. Ugh. *cringe*

I really don't think Marth looks like a girl. Maybe it's because I watch a lot of anime(which is filled with feminine men) so that now, I can tell if a character is a man or a woman. But, seriously, I'm not seeing it.

And like a previous poster said, Marth wears the 'tiara' in memento to his sister who is no longer with him, and I despise when people make fun of it.

That being said, I apologize if I offended you, or de-railed this thread, but, hey, Marth is bae my favourite character, so I can be very...what's the word...overprotective of him at times. Again, deepest apologies.
It's because i never mistook Marth for a female, that i get baffled when others do. I'm really used to Marth's character design, because i as well watch Anime with bishounen designed males. No hard feelings, Marth is still awesome despite how much people joke about him. ;)

Back to OUR BOY!

Really hoping a re orchestrated version of this theme is used in Roy's reveal trailer:

We have the remix from Brawl of course, but i'd like to hear a newer arrangement of this awesome theme. I mean, Roy's reveal is speculated to happen at the Fire Emblem concert after all.

Edit: This literally just came out:
It's great tributes such as this that makes me so optimistic about Roy and his possible return in Smash 4. :D

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think the chest armor Marth had in Melee in top of his looks had me mistake him as a woman with very manly voice. Though after clearing Classic Mode as him I found out he was a man. Also getting Roy at the same time. But the more intriguing part about him was that he always looked kind of... grumpy.

Ehh.

Roy was pretty much the cooler swordsman compared to Marth, in fact, it didn't dawn to me how truly good Marth was until I picked him up for real in P:M. Before then he came off as constantly bland standard to Roy's cooler and fiery sword moves.

Also that combo video is sweet meat.

MewKwota

Smash Rookie
As far as I'm aware, Marth's sister was never dead? He was just separated from her for along while and probably considered her as such. Well, they reunite later, but no one really cares about FE1. *okay* Not to mention, Elice (his sis) giving him her tiara is only present in the OVA, so the origin of that headgear is rather ambiguous in reagrds to the FE game-canon. Meaning, it could just be his tiara-- wear it with pride, I guess.

But to stick on the Roy subject because Roy, he and Marth were intended to only be in the JP version of Melee to begin with-- if my information remains correct-- and including both FE fellows into the international release was a last-mintute thought. So I think maybe, with the sense that Roy was meant to introduce presumably pre-existing FE fans to their newest protag at the time, there was no other bigger intentions. At least that's what I felt, hm. If not that, hey, we've got two different styles of guys, if you prefer the boyish Roy or elegant Marth-- appearance-wise or fighting-wise.
(Me, I'm not too picky, it was the best of both worlds for me!)

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
That's...

NOW IT'S ROY TIME.

Marth's gender is a meme. Marth has been and will always be Smash and FE's prettiest princess.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Marth looks like a man to me, in Melee and Smash 4 at least. His face in Brawl, particularly the large watery eyes, looks really girlish though, even by anime designs. Eh, whatever.

:231:

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
There's the problem, I don't exactly have a source. But as a Bowser Jr. Secondary, it DID change. (If only slightly.) Xander's pitch changed from the game's original state.
If you can find footage from when the game was originally released and then compare it to NOW, it will sound different.
I can also just be stupid, but I like to think on the bright side.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
There's the problem, I don't exactly have a source. But as a Bowser Jr. Secondary, it DID change. (If only slightly.) Xander's pitch changed from the game's original state.
If you can find footage from when the game was originally released and then compare it to NOW, it will sound different.
I can also just be stupid, but I like to think on the bright side.
Sorry, it's unchanged.

Don't get placebo'd dude.

Last edited:
Neither of them would have been successful on their own, imo. Even when I was six years old, I found the dynamic between the two very interesting. Funny thing is, I thought they were two Spaniard warriors on a colonial quest for treasure overseas in some land with the other Smash fighters. It was mainly the Together We Ride majority of the Melee Fire Emblem theme seeming so darn Spanish throughout my life, and the two speaking a foreign language. Spanish pirate royals. I wasn’t too off, was I?! While I didn’t think much of them until my high school years, I still found them interesting and I felt like they really added to the game, two fighters with similar yet entirely unique styles who I enjoyed seeing in Events matches back when I only played as Pokémon characters. I didn’t think see nearly as much from other clones as I did Marth and Roy, besides Ganondorf and Young Link, but even then Marth and Roy were much more unique to me. This was with perspective from using another clone, I frequently used Pichu for those swaglord goggles.

They needed that dynamic to thrive and stand out. The elegant Falchion wielder with grace and magnificence sporting the blue armor and regal blue trim, using speed, comfort in the air, and calculated strikes, alongside the brusque, wild, and reckless flame swordsman with more simple yet efficient armor who went all-out with his explosive Flare Blade, relentless hits from Blazer’s onslaught, and his risky counter that brought out a massive surge of power at its best.

That’s what appealed to me from a standpoint where I wasn’t under the shackles of Fire Emblem bias. Ah, those were the days. I feel like that was needed to truly get western gamers interested. People whine about how Roy isn’t unique enough, but I think those who did grow up with Melee let go of their childhood wonder and memories too much, and it’s easy for things to get murky when we see swordsmen like Lucina and Ike are directly compared to and seen next to Marth for so long instead of Roy. I think people will really warm up to our boy at some point, we just need to give it all time.

At this point, I'm starting to think Roy is more unique than Ike compared to Marth after looking back at adolescent years, even though Roy was a clone and Ike isn't. Even from a time where I didn't care too much for Marth and Roy. Wow, did not expect that. This could be useful.

It's funny because back then I used to play Melee with a friend a lot. She always used to play Marth and while I didn't think he looked girly, she always used to complain at people who mistook Marth as a girl, saying things like, "If only Marth didn't wear that headband, then people would stop calling him a girl!" I initially chose Roy as my main because he's the other FE character, while my friend mained Marth, so we had some awesome :marthmelee: & :roymelee: tag-teams, but also rivalries. It would be nice to have :4marth:and :roypm:tag-teams again in Smash 4. The nostalgia is strong in that one!

Preposterous! Bishies are awesome and should make people feel comfortable with their sexuality and feel MANLY!!

It was also that tag team factor with buddies and siblings that was a huge part of it for a lot of people, that I'm finally experiencing in the competitive scene. When I got a buddy into Melee last summer to prepare for a casual tournament, he ended up finding Marth the most intriguing, so we would have a lot of Marth vs. Roy singles practice, and a lot of Marth & Roy teams practice. I would also roll with the Marth ditto to teach him a lot of cool things. It finally rolled around, it was a more casual tournament, seeing something where Roy was first with Marth (with the Marth player as a protégé) placing second while taking teams really brought out that pure Smash Bros. wonder, along with an epic duel of blades in finals. Granted I rarely place that well in actual competition, but it still felt great from that standpoint.

Sethlon, one of the most well-known Roys, also played Roy simply because one of his crew members played Marth way back when, which led to Sethlon playing Roy for many years to this day. NEO, the Roy I study and learn from most, also had an awesome dynamic with Roy vs. Marth when he started out as a pupil to Ken.

I think we should drop concern on whether Marth is masculine or feminine and instead confirm their true gender: sexy to all audiences, cultures, sexualities, and even more out there that we're not aware of yet. Marth exists on a higher plane than we do, and we're trying to overcomplicate how the divine works. The bold text can just be shortened to "Marth" for Marth's gender.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Sethlon, one of the most well-known Roys, also played Roy simply because one of his crew members played Marth way back when, which led to Sethlon playing Roy for many years to this day. NEO, the Roy I study and learn from most, also had an awesome dynamic with Roy vs. Marth when he started out as a pupil to Ken.
Is that really true?

Huh, that's pretty cool. I gotta thank my friend then. Had she not played Marth, perhaps I wouldn't have picked up Roy, or at least not have a huge connection to him. Marth and Roy do have an interesting dynamic and history in Smash, so it would be nice if we could relive the moments in Smash 4.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
My interest with Roy was independent from Marth's. I'd basically only use Marth for certain event matches which were just too hard to do with Roy due to his flaws. But besides that #Roy4lyfe

Last edited:
My interest with Roy was independent from Marth's. I'd basically only use Marth for certain event matches which were just too hard to do with Roy due to his flaws. But besides that #Roy4lyfe
Are you using PBG and JonTron for certain Smashboards event matches that are too hard for Nintendo's giants?

I almost thought you were a new/returning user at first.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Are you using PBG and JonTron for certain Smashboards event matches that are too hard for Nintendo's giants?

I almost thought you were a new/returning user at first.
Nothing is too hard for Nintendo's giants! Just changed my avatar and sig to fit a different theme :p

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
i wonder what roy's color will be.Charcters from FE6 some more awakening love?Or will they just go with the classics

i wonder what roy's color will be.Charcters from FE6 some more awakening love?Or will they just go with the classics
My predictions:

-Possible Marth palette since Marth has a Roy palette for shenanigans
-Awakening palette if it's not included as a costume
-FE6 or Melee palette if it's not included as a costume, possibly both depending on which cape each player likes
-Throwbacks to FE7's lords (Eliwood/Lyndis/Hector)
-Purple palette based on Idoun and/or Zephiel, the story's antagonists
-Original Melee colors, I can't see them axing the blue because it's too cool to just throw away, he already had blue/green/yellow/red palettes which is perfect for 8 player smash teams
-Possible black palette to go along with Marth's, I just hope it looks a lot better than PM's black palette
-Potential Seliph palette to go along with Marth's white Leif palette
-More throwbacks to other FE6 characters, he had palettes as tributes to Lance and Alan, so Marcus, Lilina, Guinevere, etc. may be picked. Rutger is the 2nd most popular FE6 character, we may see a palette for him.
(Source:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/afej/k_tohyo/02.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/afej/k_tohyo/)
-White palette since him and Marth are fellow white knights
-Rune armor from Runescape because he's the most 1337 character in the game

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Primary Attire

Awakening attire

Secondary attires

Red, Green, and Blue palette swaps
Marth attire
Melee attire
Red, Green, and Blue palette swaps for Melee attire

Troykv

Smash Master
I really want colors that are based in Binding Blade Characters.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sure though it can be a secondary alt (the Melee one and the FE6 one are pretty similar).

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, Well, what if Roy's final smash summons up robins child? Like if he did a Co-op strike with Morgan?
there is also the idea that his final smash will make the characters all GBA style and he will CRIT strike them all Captain falcon style.
AH here is an idea..
have the Final smash be what triggers his flame sword powes. Like have him use his normal weapon, then Un sheath the sword of seals and add FIRE to all his attacks.

White Roy would be cool.

I like white.
Of course your NNID is Winterwhite :p

Hmm, Well, what if Roy's final smash summons up robins child? Like if he did a Co-op strike with Morgan?
there is also the idea that his final smash will make the characters all GBA style and he will CRIT strike them all Captain falcon style.
AH here is an idea..
have the Final smash be what triggers his flame sword powes. Like have him use his normal weapon, then Un sheath the sword of seals and add FIRE to all his attacks.
What if he summons Eliwood, Lyndis, and Hector via Outrealm to take turns kicking ass with their legendary weapons? Or his squad (Lilina, Marcus, Wolt) like @ Croph Croph suggested. Maybe even Al from the manga.

A third tier promotion would also be really cool. King Roy or Royal Knight. :laugh:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
<-- should both be an AT.

I really like this Roy colour, white n light blue:

Source

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No third promotion for me personally though i'm loving the idea of having Lilina, Wolt, and Marcus assist him in his Final Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom