• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I bet I know what Robin palette inspired the change in friendlies. :shades:
;)

if Robin just had more yellow in his green palette, it would resemble Lugh a lot I think. I'd be cool if he has one that resembles Merric.

But Lugh and Raigh are both awesome. I kinda like Raigh a bit more though cuz tsunderes.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Imagine if they show Chrom again in Roy's reveal trailer...

"Uh guys. So when do I get my chance again?"

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Would be adding more fuel to the fire I think. But I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

I would think Roy's trailer would be similar to Lucas and Mewtwo's, showcasing some gameplay and all. Maybe fighting against :4roy: (hey, Mewtwo has already done it, why not with :roypm:?). but it would be so awesome to see Roy in full CGI

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Well, they've been though a lot now. They should get some mercy at this point.

:231:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well if one things for sure, that would overshadow all of the Roy Koopa jokes.

All we need is Roy to give Roy Koopa a fully charged Flare Blade and all the Roy Koopa jokes will be obliterated from existence.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
that would be so lolzy and kinda awesome at the same time. A cinimatic showing the current Fire emblem characters in battle, And suddenly Roy shows up backing Marth and Ike, with Chrom appearing to back up Lucina and Robin.
Chrom's final smash? same as Robin only in reverse XD

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I doubt we will see cinematic trailers for DLC character, unless for some DLC pack. Like, Lucas + Roy + Ryu + some stages trailer for the first DLC pack, and then later stages + Wolf + 2 more characters for the second DLC pack late this year.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
We did see psuedo cinematic ones for Lucas and Mewtwo. Just have the fight be set in the WII U Fire emblem stage like when they had Lucas show up to save Ness.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The trailers they used for Mewtwo and Lucas would suffice really.

I really hope they avoid adding insult to injury for Chrom again. What already happened was more than enough. Chrom wasn't a newcomer I wanted, but I was almost heartbroken by what he was handed in the Book and Blade reveal, and the "Chrom's not in Smash" jokes that followed were incredibly irritating. I could never find the humor in "____ isn't in Smash, guys!" jokes, photo edits, etc. that get so popular. I see these jokes so often on Facebook. Even if I wanted one Awakening character over Chrom, and even if I was worried about him replacing Ike for the longest time, I still would have had tons of fun with him and welcomed his likely inclusion. I hope more people have this attitude about Roy, at least if he's revealed and unsealed. ;)

I laugh at so much dumb stuff every day, but I'm still trying to find what people see in those jokes. I think it's just to spill :salt: to try and guilt people who want certain characters and nothing else.

Besides that, I just found one of my favorite pictures of all time.

The long, beefy sword on the far left that's going limp, and the face on the far right really add to it.

Roy's welcoming party. :awesome:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I didn't mean to hate on Chrom lol. I just thought the idea of the camera cutting to him on the floor after Roy's reveal and him being like "yo ppl are you going to give me my chance or what?" to be kinda funny.

Ah well, I guess i'm the only that finds my jokes funny.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I do admit I feel sorry for all the people who wanted Chrom in, and part of my lolz at him not being in, was due to the over hyping of the Gematsu leak thing, I saw it as a perfect moment for Sakurai to troll people by following the Leak intentionally then BOOM surprise!! EVERYONE online that I was watchign was Sure as Life leads to death, that chrom was gonna be there, then that video hit and ALL the Shiz hit the fan.
though most of my joy was having the Leak be broken over anything else.

Always remember that Roy is on the front page (upper right) of Smashboards. If Nintendo saw him there with the other sm4sh characters, oh man.

There's around 60 characters in Smash as a series, and Roy was one of the lucky 6 to be featured there.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Always remember that Roy is on the front page (upper right) of Smashboards. If Nintendo saw him there with the other sm4sh characters, oh man.

There's around 60 characters in Smash as a series, and Roy was one of the lucky 6 to be featured there.
Since you mentioned it, Little Mac and Robin always seemed out of place to me up there. I think it is just where they are placed though that bugs me.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah, I believe their intention was to have a character/newcomer from each Smash installment (64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, Wii U/3DS), and Roy was picked for Project M. I think it's a good choice since he was the first Clone Engine character revealed, and Roy's balanced pretty good (I think some fighters should take notes on his balance). A great representative for the game, no?

Being on the front page is publicity in and of itself, heh.

OH, I remember I made this pic sometime ago:

Man, this was before the current banner... They kept the character in the same style from their respective Smash game.

I need Roy confirmation ASAP so I can start using the green Marth palette full-time.

Roy, get your butt over to the left side now.

I've just been using the Roy palette on Marth to add to potential statistics, but imo his other colors just look so much better.

Mmmmmm :love:

I've always found Marth's green palettes really nice, while Roy's is just ugly. Sethlon and Pyro, thank you for taking one for the team by using it.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I need Roy confirmation ASAP so I can start using the green Marth palette full-time.

I've just been using the Roy palette on Marth to add to potential statistics, but imo his other colors just look so much better.

I've always found Marth's green palettes really nice, while Roy's is just ugly. Sethlon and Pyro, thank you for taking one for the team.
I personally perfer Marth's second blue, his black, his red, then his white alts.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438

I've always found Marth's green palettes really nice, while Roy's is just ugly. Sethlon and Pyro, thank you for taking one for the team by using it.
I would use the Roy palette to support him too, but for a fan of Roy, why play as Marth when you can play as Lucina? She plays a lot closer to Roy.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The one thing that excites me if Roy comes back? I don't think he will ever be cut again. He would have a more unique moveset, seeing as all the Melee clones went through some sort of decloning, even Doc. He would have an important place in the Fire Emblem representation, reviving it for the first time, as well as bringing Fire Emblem interest stateside. He is a massively popular veteran, meaning with all this, plus the fact his data is back, means I doubt that Roy will ever be cut again. I'm almost about to cry, knowing my boy will never leave again.:roypm:>:4roy:

I would use the Roy palette to support him too, but for a fan of Roy, why play as Marth when you can play as Lucina? She plays a lot closer to Roy.
Ehhhhhh she has the scary opportunity fsmash punishes and her uair has a similar purpose, but other than that, I don't really see similarities, even to PM Roy. I also like playing as all the FE characters, besides Lucina since I like Marth and prefer his playstyle over Lucina (though I prefer Roy's playstyle over Marth in both Melee and PM)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Because Roy plays nothing like Marth and having him as an alt is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, Lucina's properties is nothing like Roy's

Last edited:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Because Roy plays nothing like Marth and having him as an alt is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, Lucina's properties is nothing like Roy's
I would disagree, I think she is pretty similar to Roy in the fact that she is missing Marth's "tipper" mechanic, just like Roy. But of course, she has no sweetspot at all, which is unlike Roy. Overall though, I think she can be played in a similar fashion to Melee/PM Roy. (I'm not saying that she eliminates Roy's purpose though, that is absolute nonsense.)

I would disagree, I think she is pretty similar to Roy in the fact that she is missing Marth's "tipper" mechanic, just like Roy. But of course, she has no sweetspot at all, which is unlike Roy. Overall though, I think she can be played in a similar fashion to Melee/PM Roy. (I'm not saying that she eliminates Roy's purpose though, that is absolute nonsense.)
I will agree with being able to carry some Roy over to her, it works for me. I just don't like Lucina's palettes, her other properties, and I'm able to appreciate Marth much more as a character. Nothing against Lucina, I just don't find her a suitable Roy semi-successor, even if Roy can carry over to her a bit.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If that's all your arguing, then i'll argue Ike is more closer to Roy because he has a similar neutral B that does massive damage as well as damage to himself.

Troykv

Smash Master
I will agree with being able to carry some Roy over to her, it works for me. I just don't like Lucina's palettes, her other properties, and I'm able to appreciate Marth much more as a character. Nothing against Lucina, I just don't find her a suitable Roy semi-successor, even if Roy can carry over to her a bit.
I'm bother a little bit the thing about that ALL his colors are Awakening Characters (Except Tiki... But the dress's color is from Awakening anyway).

In other side... I like that she change her hair color xD

I'm bother a little bit the thing about that ALL his colors are Awakening Characters (Except Tiki... But the dress's color is from Awakening anyway).

In other side... I like that she change her hair color xD
When I play Lucina, I envision Eirika there sometimes. They look so similar with build, hair, and sword length. I was really hoping she'd get an Eirika palette, too. Those hair colors are too extreme for me, and I feel the game is overflowing with Awakening as it is. It'd be really cool if one update gave 8 extra palettes to some characters, and she got Lyndis, Eirika, and female myrmidons from the series as palettes. I think their hair colors would look better on Lucina than pretty much all the Awakening palettes do.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Eirika is hot AF. Her being a palette swap for Lucina would be amazing.

#SuperWaifuFanserivce

Last edited:
I also forgot to put in similar boobies with Eirika, Lyn, and Lucina, but build is part of that.

This is Royvolutionary!

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Do you guys think Roy will be one of the characters unveiled at next month's E3 (assuming that Nintendo will be there?)
I think we will get a Smash Bros. DLC pack announcement. And I hope it will be Roy + Ryu + Lucas + stages, but who knows at this point...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Instead, Chrom is shown off again, but Roy steals his spot.

As of now, this would just be a plain malice to Chrom's fans that don't like to portray him as 100% dork + manchild with a sexy body for maximum playtoy husbando material. Not to mention it'd only enforce even malicious jokes to deconfirmations and such in bigger scale. We don't need new variations of "Ridley is too big and therefore is a joke", seriously.

Also as a traditional Chrom-fan not liking these jokes at the slightest, I'd really have a bad after-taste for something so great as Roy's confirmation. I want to enjoy Roy's inclusion by his own right, not in another expense of a character. And just to add into massive injury to my war flesh wound, it NEEDS to be the very character that has been beaten literally to death before.

It won't also bode well for Sakurai in any future plans or decisions regarding Smash Bros 4 (or beyond) due pandering to the very fanbase that makes Sakurai's work and well-being a living hell regarding requests and feedback to his decisions.

Unless Sakurai wants his series to be this way, in which case I wouldn't ever give a damn incase he'll ever complain about his fans being too unreasonable or other similar matter. Ever.

I didn't mean to hate on Chrom lol. I just thought the idea of the camera cutting to him on the floor after Roy's reveal and him being like "yo ppl are you going to give me my chance or what?" to be kinda funny.

Ah well, I guess i'm the only that finds my jokes funny.
Seeing how just much Chrom-jokes there has been made by fans who also like him a lot, I think you're not alone.

To be frank, this joke is clearly a mainstay, and only a minority of Chrom's fans will hate on it, but it would just be a sad case of vocal minority being drowned by laughters all over the globe if they'd do this "again". But that's the problem.

Chrom has become an acceptable target to being referred as "worthless loser", which cringes me hard as it has mostly been one of the visible examples of how easily fictional characters have become more of tropes and stereotypes in a lot modern media, especially anime where awful harem animes and moe/loliblob-shows have basically blurred the connection between relatability to fictional characters for being reflection and portrayal of REAL HUMAN LIFE. I suggest you read the entirety of this article to see what I mean.

Going by the above article, Chrom basically has turned into this after his "sexiness" and "dorkiness" were more defining traits of him for being not entirely fleshed-up character compared to more colorful cast of Awakening. And this all being enforced by awful, AWFUL supports with F!MU in Awakening that are apparently too damn popular and basis for most female fans' relationship with him , which relied on these cliche anime tropes to create a scenario that has seen before million times already, and would have dreadful consequences in real life, instead of like, LEADING TO LOVE. (Also making his other supports sorta in existent that show his other character traits like having snark and down-to-earth, but just heart. FE used to play around with certain tropes in the past, but usually balanced it out with seriousness in the good end. Like with Lucius & Serra-supports from FE7)

The problem is, people don't bother portraying this enough or don't seem to remember how it truly is like in real life, which will then lead to further generalization, even if it might be harmful to the society and it's growth. (This is also why I didn't like Lissa's and M!MU's suppor despite marrying her because I was bullied a lot when little, especially by girls, and Lissa's pranks being shown as a way to "love" felt very much a thing I would have objected hard against.)

Roy has always been generalized as the "worst lord" in FE, just by stats alone, which have people instantly judge him by his popularity in Smash despite being a clone before, and slam him and his fans for those things. They tend to overlook his personality, which is shown as quite an inspiring role model and still is a relatable individual within. Do we need to force characters to be playable in Super Smash Bros in order to make people truly appreciate these characters and avoid them being turned into tropes and jokes at best? Surely we don't have to. So what's the point of forcing this idea of "loserfying" what are very popular and quite amazingly done fictional characters, or even average fictional characters in general? Ridley in his source material makes me shiver but also respect the guy for being such well-done villain. Same for Mewtwo, who gladly came back and now won't have jokes on his expense.
Chrom would have been still "not very interesting", but the needed every-man to his army of colorful fellas to balance it out, while also showing signs of humanity by sometimes goofing up, yet also showing snark and common sense in plenty situations he's in.

Basically, I'm sick of having to get an idea that real people can truly be pointed at and be mocked and spat on, while the universe around them magically renders any mental damage or other awful implications regarding these topics controversial in real life: most obviously by "they're just fictional people, don't take this so seriously!". I guess we can also show subjects that are controversial in real life as well that can trigger people, like showing pedophilia, ****, etc. Even if these things have already creeped in to cringe humor on some satirical shows and lolicon-appeal animes that more or less want to infantilize or even sexualize little girls.

Sorry if I again made a big rant about this, but I gave a lot more insight in why I truly am against generalizations based on deconfirmations and other salty jokes in Smash Bros.

Back to Roy now.

Do you guys think Roy will be one of the characters unveiled at next month's E3 (assuming that Nintendo will be there?)
I'm kinda confident we're shown more DLC to ensure more widespread hype and presenting of Roy + Ryu in a global scale. But anything can happen, I might be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I'm thinking either that, or they reveal him in the Fire Emblem concert.
The one thing that excites me if Roy comes back? I don't think he will ever be cut again. He would have a more unique moveset, seeing as all the Melee clones went through some sort of decloning, even Doc. He would have an important place in the Fire Emblem representation, reviving it for the first time, as well as bringing Fire Emblem interest stateside. He is a massively popular veteran, meaning with all this, plus the fact his data is back, means I doubt that Roy will ever be cut again. I'm almost about to cry, knowing my boy will never leave again.:roypm:>:4roy:
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Here's an interesting topic to dicuss. How important do you guys think that Roy was in raising interest for FE in Melee? Would Marth alone been just as successful in your opinion?
Roy has a big fanbase, and I honestly feel like things would be very different if it would have been just Marth.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
The thing many people don't realize when looking at Lucina and comparing her to Marth is how Nintendo totally half-assed her design. She has no tipper, leading people to believe it's 'okay' to just hit with any part of the sword and not be concerned for their hit placement. However, smart play with Lucina means keeping the opponent zoned out at the tip. Unlike Roy, there is never any reason to not hit with the tip. It does the same damage as the rest of the blade, and it's safer than any other part. Lucina suffers from unique hit lag which is less than a Marth tipper but more than a Marth sourspot, since non-tip hits w/ Marth reduce hit lag by a small amount, making them combo tools. Lucina, unfortunately, doesn't have that benefit.

It comes down to the ideal Lucina play being identical to the ideal Marth play, aside from Lucina actually using up smash because it's viable and reliable for her. Roy, on the other hand, is inverted Marth. You use tips for spacing and combos, then close in to pour on damage/KO. There's an intentional dynamic to the spacing game when playing Roy and Marth, but not with Lucina. She's an unfortunate clone with poor comparative design, literally implemented as "noob Marth" for people who can't/don't want to space well.

It's very reminiscent of Roy's numbers in Melee. The devs apparently thought it was a good idea to hardcap Roy's damage and knockback to be less than Marth's counterparts. Roy's sweetspots really weren't as good as Marth's, and it was pretty ****ing ******** from a design standpoint. Deliberately placing a character below the other just 'cause. The obvious choice should have been to keep their %/KB values the same at the respective sweet/sourspots, but they didn't do that.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Instead, Chrom is shown off again, but Roy steals his spot.
Just thought I would make it clear I was joking when I said this. I do feel bad for the Chrom fans, Lucina's and Robin's trailer was already a tough blow, but Sakurai then hit below the belt when the wrote/greenlite Robin's Palutenta Guidance part.

While I would find it funny for just a brief moment if Chrom was shown again only to reveal Roy, I agree, it would just be too much disrespect for the Chrom fans.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm thinking he'll most likely get revealed at E3 along with Ryu and Wolf and hopefully we won't have to wait until July for that seeing as E3 brings a lot of exposure to game related things and a Japan exclusive concert wouldn't garnish that exposure.

I'm also really REALLY hoping Roy ends up decloned in the game so people won't b*tch and moan endlessly about 2 Marth clones being in the game and that he'll have his Awakening attire as his primary attire so the first thing some people think isn't "ZOMG why are they bringing Roy back?".

While I would find it funny for just a brief moment if Chrom was shown again only to reveal Roy, I agree, it would just be too much disrespect for the Chrom fans.
At the rate their going, Chrom is going to be brought in the game with Pichu's old moveset. :troll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom