• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oddly enough Mewtwos attacks do the same thing yet it's not even fire. (fighting a chandelure in Smash run as Mewtwo is painful literally only tilts, bair and uair work on it)

One would think that's down to the move and not the fact that it's fire itself.
No, it's the fire. As I recall, Ganondorf has a similar effect: they're considered "dark flames" in the same way that Ganondorf's jab and d-air are considered to be electric-attribute.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pretty sure Nair doesn't work, actually haven't tried confusion and does Disable actually effect enemies in Smash run? or does it just do 1%+knockback?
Disable flings them away.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
At any rate, let's presume Roy is just a direct clone of Marth.

He doesn't have the fire attribute; he doesn't have the difference in weight, speed, damage output or knockback; he doesn't have the sweetspot at the base of his blade, but at the tip; he doesn't have Flare Blade as his neutral-b, but Shield Breaker.

He's still a different character. He's still a character people like and want to play. His differences are, at most, an added bonus, a nice throwback to what he used to be in Melee. People would still support him because he's Roy. Whether his moveset is a direct port or a totally new set of skills is totally secondary to the fact that he is still the character from Melee that people love and miss.

And even so, that's making a lot of changes. That's not even getting into what potential changes he could still see, that's just taking his exact moveset from Melee and transferring it to Smash 4.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Well if Roy was to be in Smash 4, he would at least have bunch of numerical changes, as it's not a simple case of porting Roy over and making a new model, as shown with Mewtwo.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yay for 100 page indeed!

I'd pick up Roy obviously back, no matter what way he'll be implemented. Marth hasn't still been enough for me to consider maining him in big scale anymore, so I'm looking to replace him for this iteration + support my fave FE-games. I really hope they can balance Roy to not make him even worse Marth due the metagame and defensive-focused gameplay of competitive Sm4sh so far.

Hey at least if roy is a full clone that leaves more time for more characters!

Ill probably wimd up maining him even if hes trash again but mewtwo gives hope for the melee bottom tier boys.

Threedede

Smash Rookie
I use all of the FE characters in 4 (to varying extents), so no matter what, I will use Roy.
please don't make him terrible, sakurai.
One hundred is a number.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh hey, page 100 hype! :colorful::colorful::colorful:

I'm going full weeb

Warning: ears and eyes might bleed

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
We've made it! 100 pages!!:smash::bee: I believe that we're so close to reaching our goal, now - all we need is Nintendo to ignite our fire and bring our boy home!!:roymelee:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
One hundred pages? Tch, amateurs. I've been on threads that reached way beyond the 1000th page in a matter of weeks!

The Ridley thread was too big for us to handle.

One hundred pages? Tch, amateurs. I've been on threads that reached way beyond the 1000th page in a matter of weeks!

The Ridley thread was too big for us to handle.
Now imagine if it was never closed. No one could handle such a monstrosity especially after the ballot announcement.

Never falter ;_;

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So...
I don't know if it's been discussed yet, but Roy (The Koopaling)'s sound file was changed.
So... anyone think Roy's moveset will be changed?
Do you have a link to this news?

Because this is the first time I heard that :4roy:'s sound file was changed (unless it was already changed before and I just missed the info).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know, i'm not going to try and sound like I have insider info on what Sakurai plans to do for DLC but I will say this...

A fully cloned Roy is absolutely stupid and nonsensical to do in Smash 4. Why would you go that route when you already have a direct clone of Marth in the game? Why would you go that route when you already decloned characters like Falco and Ganondorf? Why would you go that route when so many people including myself pitched ideas to make Roy different from Marth? Why would you go that route when it will clearly gives haters and detractors more fuel to hate Roy? Why would you go that route when you gave changes in Sm4SH to characters like DK and Bowser? Why would you go that route when Roy has so many things he can use from his game to incorporate to his Smash moveset? Why would you go that route when you had him planned for Brawl in a game where their was no full clones in the game? Why would you go that route when both supporters and detractors a like have been wanting Roy not to be a full clone again?

I think you get what i'm trying to say here. I'll still main Roy regardless of how he plays in Sm4sH but that's not without saying I will be beyond extremely disappointed if they decide to do nothing new with his moveset.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
whoa go away for a while and come back 2 pages behind o.O man you guys been busy XD
I hope roy retains his moves from Melee mostly. I was talking to my little sis about her playing mewtwo and she said she was happy the character was mostly the same.
"I have wanted to do Mewtwo and Lucario teams for a while so im happy that they are the same as they should be." Was what she told me.
So if Roy stays the same [predominatly atelast] then I look forward to meeting her Mewtwo/Lucario with my Roy/Ike team XD haha.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, changing gears now, how would you guys feel if they used the first 50 seconds of this theme for Roy's reveal trailer?

I doubted it myself for a second but then I thought it could work pretty well if it's used with another theme.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, i'm not going to try and sound like I have insider info on what Sakurai plans to do for DLC but I will say this...

A fully cloned Roy is absolutely stupid and nonsensical to do in Smash 4. Why would you go that route when you already have a direct clone of Marth in the game? Why would you go that route when you already decloned characters like Falco and Ganondorf? Why would you go that route when so many people including myself pitched ideas to make Roy different from Marth? Why would you go that route when it will clearly gives haters and detractors more fuel to hate Roy? Why would you go that route when you gave changes in Sm4SH to characters like DK and Bowser? Why would you go that route when Roy has so many things he can use from his game to incorporate to his Smash moveset? Why would you go that route when you had him planned for Brawl in a game where their was no full clones in the game? Why would you go that route when both supporters and detractors a like have been wanting Roy not to be a full clone again?
Why?

This may come off as a bit cynical, but I can think of at least two reasons why:

1.) To not alienate those who liked Roy's original moveset and playstyle.
2.) It's easy; they already have the moveset designed and a base to build it off of. It's cheap-to-make DLC that would sell to Roy's significant fanbase.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Most casual fans will get over Roy being changed, trust me. I was a fan of Ganondorf's Melee moveset and yes I was initially disappointed with his changes though it grew on me eventually and I accepted the change. If they were to make Roy even better then he was from Melee, they would eventually love the changes made to him.

It is cheap but a lot of people will be quick to call out a tactic like that. People want quality DLC when they spend their money on it and I don't see them being happy about another full clone when one already exists in the game. And like I said before, it just gives more fuel to haters to hate because "zomg another Marth clone!".

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
That and planning around and utilizing the flame mechanic the sword has makes him already a far different fighter. Using the multi hit effect of the uh.. up b? [forgot its name] to line up or make an enemy vulerable to a combo attack or an assist is a huge game changer compared to Marth and Lucina. One of my fave stratergies to do with my little sister was comboing that with Pikachu's thunder. We had found a three hit combination of thunder, rising flame and then thunder again.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
The difference between Roy and Mewtwo is that Mewtwo is an extremely unique character and Roy animation wise is a direct clone of Marth and Lucina kinda fits that role already so they have a reason to change him.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Why?

This may come off as a bit cynical, but I can think of at least two reasons why:

1.) To not alienate those who liked Roy's original moveset and playstyle.
2.) It's easy; they already have the moveset designed and a base to build it off of. It's cheap-to-make DLC that would sell to Roy's significant fanbase.
I always found it strange that Sakurai's willing to make some changes to certain vets like :4pit:, :4bowser:, and even :4sheik: got two new moves (though one new move was a given due to the removed transformations), and yet someone like :4ganondorf: didn't get revamped. I wonder what the logic is for that. I guess they still want to keep clones, but some vets due feel a whole lot different. In fact, I had to drop Pit (secondary in Brawl) due to me not liking him as much in this insallment (mostly due to gameplay and tech reasons). But if Roy gets major moveset & gameplay changes? Hell no! I ain't dropping him, not after all this support! hooray for bias! I guess they selectively choose which vets receive noticeable moveset changes and whatnot.

I really like Sheik's new Side Special. I would love to see Roy receive at least one new move, but there is still the possibility that they might keep Roy relatively the same in order to not alienate fans who like his original moveset. However, I hope that with Lucina's presence, it may be the extra motivation they need in order to change Roy up a bit.

Last edited:

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I always found it strange that Sakurai's willing to make some changes to certain vets like :4pit:, :4bowser:, and even :4sheik: got two new moves (though one new move was a given due to the removed transformations), and yet someone like :4ganondorf: didn't get revamped.
Well for :4bowser: he was a character not many liked so revamping him makes sense.
:4pit: was revamped to fit his newer games made by Mr. Sakurai.
:4sheik: needed a move to replace her transformation and I guess I wasn't the only one who found chain dumb lol.
As for why :4ganondorf: was hardly changed, well I think Sakurai stated once he mained ganon in brawl and in a video of him playing brawl he chose dorf so I supose he just liked him current moveset despite being a semi clone.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Even if Sakurai gave reasons why they changed up certain vets, it's still selectively choosing who receives changes. I guess you can't revamp everyone due to time and recourse, so you need to draw the line somewhere. but hey with DLC you have time and resources

Don't even get me started on the Final Smashes lol. Hopefully if we get Wolf he'll get something new

Last edited:
Well, changing gears now, how would you guys feel if they used the first 50 seconds of this theme for Roy's reveal trailer?

I doubted it myself for a second but then I thought it could work pretty well if it's used with another theme.
It'd work well for Roy, I agree.

What if they use music of its sequel?

Oh hey, page 100 hype! :colorful::colorful::colorful:

I'm going full weeb

Warning: ears and eyes might bleed
I go full-on weeb with these, too.

I always found it strange that Sakurai's willing to make some changes to certain vets like :4pit:, :4bowser:, and even :4sheik: got two new moves (though one new move was a given due to the removed transformations), and yet someone like :4ganondorf: didn't get revamped. I wonder what the logic is for that. I guess they still want to keep clones, but some vets due feel a whole lot different. In fact, I had to drop Pit (secondary in Brawl) due to me not liking him as much in this insallment (mostly due to gameplay and tech reasons). But if Roy gets major moveset & gameplay changes? Hell no! I ain't dropping him, not after all this support! hooray for bias! I guess they selectively choose which vets receive noticeable moveset changes and whatnot.

I really like Sheik's new Side Special. I would love to see Roy receive at least one new move, but there is still the possibility that they might keep Roy relatively the same in order to not alienate fans who like his original moveset. However, I hope that with Lucina's presence, it may be the extra motivation they need in order to change Roy up a bit.
Have you seen Masashi's Pit in Brawl? Man's a genius. He inspired me to play Pit the last few months Brawl was truly alive. I wanted to carry Pit into sm4sh, but...

He's sm4sh Pit.

That arrow kill setup at 2:58 Embarrass

Even if Sakurai gave reasons why they changed up certain vets, it's still selectively choosing who receives changes. I guess you can't revamp everyone due to time and recourse, so you need to draw the line somewhere. but hey with DLC you have time and resources

Don't even get me started on the Final Smashes lol. Hopefully if we get Wolf he'll get something new
If only Falco got the air he breathed and preferred via Arwing.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
What if Roy's Final Smash is a Landmaster
that shoots fireballs!?...

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!

What if Roy's Final Smash is a Landmaster
that shoots fireballs!?...

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!
I used to be part of a group called "Too Many Landmasters" that was going to have a really nice group channel going. We were going to wear Star Fox uniforms in drawings from one of the artist, and I was going to be the Falco of the group. I should talk to them again about it, it's been a few years.

Maybe Sakurai is tracing back our activity and putting stuff in Roy's moveset based on it.

Dark Pit went full Sheik/Zelda with his FS, so it's not out of the question.

working on a PM reply atm :bee:

Threedede

Smash Rookie
Only if the cannon is shaped like the Sword of Seals.
I know it's the Binding Blade, but I prefer the Sword of Seals.
Edited to add: I personally prefer Sm4sh Pit to Brawl Pit, but to each their own.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Have you seen Masashi's Pit in Brawl? Man's a genius. He inspired me to play Pit the last few months Brawl was truly alive. I wanted to carry Pit into sm4sh, but...

He's sm4sh Pit.

That arrow kill setup at 2:58 Embarrass
Ahh, the good ol' days of Brawl Pit. I've heard of Masashi before, and damn the setups. It's unfortunate dropping a main/secondary/whatever in the next game, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'd rather main someone I have fun playing with rather than stay loyal even if I really don't like playing as them.

Dark Pit went full Sheik/Zelda with his FS, so it's not out of the question.

working on a PM reply atm :bee:
Oh gawd, it could actually happen... Now I'm starting to worry. =P

Still, if anyone, I would rather see Roy with FS similar to :4jigglypuff: for hilarity. Or one like Lucario/Charizard/Mewtwo where he Mega Evolves and just goes ham on everyone. :awesome:

Only if the cannon is shaped like the Sword of Seals.
I know it's the Binding Blade, but I prefer the Sword of Seals.
Roy Final Smash alternative 1:

Ahh, the good ol' days of Brawl Pit. I've heard of Masashi before, and damn the setups. It's unfortunate dropping a main/secondary/whatever in the next game, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I'd rather main someone I have fun playing with rather than stay loyal even if I really don't like playing as them.

Oh gawd, it could actually happen... Now I'm starting to worry. =P

Still, if anyone, I would rather see Roy with FS similar to :4jigglypuff: for hilarity. Or one like Lucario/Charizard/Mewtwo where he Mega Evolves and just goes ham on everyone. :awesome:
Roy Final Smash alternative 2:

Threedede

Smash Rookie
But where would you find the Royite to Mega Evolve Our Boy?

But where would you find the Royite to Mega Evolve Our Boy?
You find it as a toyite, to evolve our boyite the royite, a special ore found only in McDonalds happy meal toys and Toys R Us deals. Capitalism at its finest. The most exciting unexpected hazard found in everyday life since asbestos.

Last edited:

Threedede

Smash Rookie
Wario would be proud. Also, despite the two game decision, I still am looking forward to FE:if. That image is great. Saved.
Edit: Your rhyming i enjoy, especially since you related it to our boy, Roy. Sorry, this isn't a ploy, meant to annoy.

Last edited:
Wario would be proud. Also, despite the two game decision, I still am looking forward to FE:if. That image is great. Saved.
Edit: Your rhyming i enjoy, especially since you related it to our boy, Roy. Sorry, this isn't a ploy, meant to annoy.
An opportunity presented itself in the Robin social thread, so naturally, I opened up GIMP and got to work with cheesy stock images of middle aged men throwing $$$ in the air.

Now I'm looking for any and all excuses to make that image relevant.

Roy Final Smash alternative 3:

It's Japan. Every fighter should be able to summon a giant mecha robot.
I see, so he pieced together final smashes for his.

Mecha = landmaster summoning
Golden hair change = Sonic
Being fabulous = Marth
Red eyes = Mega Charizard X

How are they gonna get away with this?!

Regardless, Roy's our pretty boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom