• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Casual reaction (Not Hardcore Melee Fan, grew up with game): My Boy's Back

Hardcore Reaction (Grew up with Melee, hardcore Melee fan): Cool, great to see him back.

Ignorant People: We already have two Marths, its not like they ever change up clone movesets.

One of these things is not like the others.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Omg yeah. Don't go anywhere NEAR gamefaqs at this time. Don't even think about going there to begin with. :laugh: The salt and pessimism I'm seeing from some people... It's going to be interesting if we do end up getting Roy ans Ryu, that's for sure.
>Gamefaqs
Well there's the first problem, lmao.
I never even wander close to Gamefaqs. Every time I lurk there, I end up rolling my eyes at about 2/3rds of the things I read, whether it's related to Roy or Smash or not, lel.

http://smashboards.com/threads/patch-1-0-7-coming-soon-confirmed-by-nintendo.399323/#post-19004609

So this just popped in. Do you think the sound files might be removed after this patch?
Probably. I would be genuinely surprised if they weren't.
But I guess it's kind of too late to "fix" the leak anyway, so they might just leave them in because everyone already knows about them in the first place.
Inb4 more accidental sound files for Royboy and Ryu show up...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
He might leave sound files for Shrek and Goku just to make people lose their minds.

Last edited:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Hi, Melee and PM Roy main here. New to this thread, but I just heard about the sound clip.
I am cautiously hype for my boy:roypm:

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
If he actually ends up in the game I will probably cry.for some reason he was my favorite character to use in melee from when I was a kid to now.

But I don't understand why people have to hate on him so hard.you won't play as him?that's fine i don't care.just because you don't like him doesn't mean you have to shove total bs and hate down the throats of those who do.can people just except that he has fans and that there are people who want him in the game.if you aren't going play as him Or buy him DON'T.ignore him being in the game if you like,just don't get so mad at other people for wanting him back in the game.

sorry that was rude I just needed to let off some steam.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
So. I've been periodically binge reading through this forum from time to time since the announcement of the Smash Ballot. Skimmed A LOT, but I'm finally caught up!

Just wanted to hop in and say I'm in full support of Roy! Honestly, I can't say that I played him a lot in melee, but I'm deeply in love with the Fire Emblem series, and would love to see more representation of it in smash. Additionally, seeing you guys being so passionate about a character and their potential return is very inspiring (to say the least). From what I've picked up from you guys and gals, Roy is certainly deserving of a return. :)

I mained Marth heavily in Brawl, and when I'm not playing Robin in Smash 4, Marth and Lucina are my regulars. I love the "Marth" playstyle, and really want to see how differently/similarly Roy handles (I would just pop in melee, but I haven't had access it in many years. Hopefully soon!).

Anyway, best of luck to all the longtime supporters! Hope this leak turns out to be true!

D

Deleted member

I'm glad to hear that Roy is most likely going to return as I used to play with him a lot. I wonder if Roy will receive some lugification as he was planned for Brawl after all.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
People don't seem to understand that DLC doesn't take up disc space, so Roy literally isn't wasting space for other characters. Nintendo could add as many characters as they wanted.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So. I've been periodically binge reading through this forum from time to time since the announcement of the Smash Ballot. Skimmed A LOT, but I'm finally caught up!

Just wanted to hop in and say I'm in full support of Roy! Honestly, I can't say that I played him a lot in melee, but I'm deeply in love with the Fire Emblem series, and would love to see more representation of it in smash. Additionally, seeing you guys being so passionate about a character and their potential return is very inspiring (to say the least). From what I've picked up from you guys and gals, Roy is certainly deserving of a return. :)

I mained Marth heavily in Brawl, and when I'm not playing Robin in Smash 4, Marth and Lucina are my regulars. I love the "Marth" playstyle, and really want to see how differently/similarly Roy handles (I would just pop in melee, but I haven't had access it in many years. Hopefully soon!).

Anyway, best of luck to all the longtime supporters! Hope this leak turns out to be true!
You're right. There's just something about the Fire Emblem characters that strike a chord within me. They just feel... so cool, and I have a special attachment with each of the characters...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Remember the time when people kept saying that Roy Koopa received Roy's old chant?

Just found out that it's false. (The crowd chants "Roy-Roy-Roy!" or "Go Roy-Roy")

On Roy being constantly whined about, I really think he's being held some unbased animosity due envy from other fans or just disgust due his clone status combined with his popularity.

I'll be frank though, I think his loving fanbase is bigger than those of detractors. So we better just group with them, and talk back reasonably but sternly back at the haters. If nothing else helps, we'll have to drive them away, especially if they're baseless and irritating with their hate.

Roy I came to like perhaps because he is shown to be an intelligent, responsible royalty who still has this childlike innocence and optimistic outlook on life.

(I might kinda blame being able to relate at him if looking at what different kinds of people say about me now and then)

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of Roy... but if we are going to have another semi clone... I want to see a few move set tweeks. I don't know what I want but I want him to play at least a bit different from Marth and Lucina.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
When and if this leak comes true(and it looks decently credible), I'm rather curious about how they will implement him this time.

Mewtwo remains mostly untouched from his Melee version. Not a single one of his attack animations was changed. It's clear they were trying to appeal to nostalgic Melee fans, and they went all out with it.

Roy, on the other hand, is a character mostly wanted just because he was in Melee. Sure, a lot of Mewtwo's request came from that as well, but he his better known by and more loved by the masses then Roy is. However, with Lucy playing the Marth-clone role, and with Roy supposedly being a returning veteran, I really wonder how they'll make him work. Surely they'll change him more then they did Mewtwo; bu just by how much?

I'm expecting him to be a semi-clone like Falco or a character who simply resembles a clone like Luigi.
I'm decently sure he'll be somewhat decloned in some way, however. Being DLC makes me decently certain of this.

I'm still amazed that they found his sound file and not Wolf's, though. With the upcoming Starfox, I would of figured they'd add Wolf before they added a FE character they'd have to go through the trouble of decloning. Not that I have anything against Roy, and I'm fairly sure we'll get Wolf eventually...but I still do find it strange.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
People don't seem to understand that DLC doesn't take up disc space, so Roy literally isn't wasting space for other characters. Nintendo could add as many characters as they wanted.
Just like the slots argument

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
Some people in a facebook page I am in kept on comparing roy to goku and Shrek.

If these sound files amount to something good, then I would really want to see their reactions.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
When and if this leak comes true(and it looks decently credible), I'm rather curious about how they will implement him this time.

Mewtwo remains mostly untouched from his Melee version. Not a single one of his attack animations was changed. It's clear they were trying to appeal to nostalgic Melee fans, and they went all out with it.

Roy, on the other hand, is a character mostly wanted just because he was in Melee. Sure, a lot of Mewtwo's request came from that as well, but he his better known by and more loved by the masses then Roy is. However, with Lucy playing the Marth-clone role, and with Roy supposedly being a returning veteran, I really wonder how they'll make him work. Surely they'll change him more then they did Mewtwo; bu just by how much?

I'm expecting him to be a semi-clone like Falco or a character who simply resembles a clone like Luigi.
I'm decently sure he'll be somewhat decloned in some way, however. Being DLC makes me decently certain of this.

I'm still amazed that they found his sound file and not Wolf's, though. With the upcoming Starfox, I would of figured they'd add Wolf before they added a FE character they'd have to go through the trouble of decloning. Not that I have anything against Roy, and I'm fairly sure we'll get Wolf eventually...but I still do find it strange.
Brawl significantly changed Falco and Ganondorf, who are relatively unchanged in Smash 4. Roy was also planned to return in Brawl, so they might implement ideas which they had come up with then, but weren't able to implement.

:231:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Oh yes the half clone thingy, I think they could combine Ike and Marth moves.
I don't think they would do that. If Falco and Ganondorf are any indication, they would probably change a few animations - notably tilts, smashes and a special or two - to fit Roy better.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'll be frank though, I think his loving fanbase is bigger than those of detractors. So we better just group with them, and talk back reasonably but sternly back at the haters. If nothing else helps, we'll have to drive them away, especially if they're baseless and irritating with their hate.
He's been consistently showing up around the top 10 most-wanted characters, higher if you exclude all the 3rd parties that've been littering the polls lately. And he's even higher in Japan. Those hating on him are undeniably the minority; people have a tendency to enjoy the things they like quietly, versus being vocal when upset. Lots of early complaining now, but that's happened for every character.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i dont understand why there is too many people who hate to see Roy come back because he is just a clone. they dont know that making a clone is easier than make a character with new moveset they should think first, because having a clone instead of a character with new moveset fighter will leave some space on the 3DS version but making a character with new moveset will take alot of space on the 3DS plus it does take alot of time to create.

but i hope my melee main Roy my 3rd most wanted character gets his own moveset if the rumor is real:)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy was second to Mewtwo in Japan in terms of popularity, and Top 10 in the ballot IIRC. It's really no surprise he'll be brought back, especialy if people won't even bother with him being a clone.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Add me to the list of supporters, I was one of the ones who was confused at this whole file leak thing, and I didn't think Roy should come back because we have both Marth and Lucina. But, even just glancing at this thread, I see that some Luigification is certainly possible, and I'd love to see how he fits. I love Marth in Smash 4 and love both of the swordsman in Melee, and would love to be able to use the golden Roy alt once more... :3

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Let me get something straight guys. So the regular Fire Emblem victory theme was found out in the new patch and all of that, but how do you guys know if it is specifically for Roy instead of another FE newcomer?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Let me get something straight guys. So the regular Fire Emblem victory theme was found out in the new patch and all of that, but how do you guys know if it is specifically for Roy instead of another FE newcomer?
It's because the file has Roy's name on it, so it's most likely in relation to Roy. The file itself is named "snd_bgm_Z83_F_Roy_3DS.nus3bank", so unless Roy Koopa is getting the Fire Emblem victory theme, that seems an indication that Roy is going to end up in the game as DLC (probably the next DLC announcement after Lucas).

EDIT:
What's this? Sakurai at a Fire Emblem event?
In fact, this could be the time and place it happens.

Roy is, outside of Pichu, the only veteran who hasn't returned in some form since Melee (if we go by the logic that Young Link was tweaked into Toon Link), so this is a good hype generator.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
The file was specifically named "Roy", just as the MOTHER victory tune was called "Lucas" and the Street Fighter tracks called "Ryu" ;)

Also, Sakurai at a Fire Emblem concert?? I know it was mentioned he was a fan...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just wait as Sakurai announces Nabarl/Navarre (his favourite FE character) there. :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A lot has happened since my last post a week ago. Who would have thought? Well time to catch up.

Good read, I'm really glad I checked again before I went to bed.

Give yourself more credit. You'd be surprised how many people have silently seen your efforts for Roy and were inspired by that to keep going. Maybe it was their breaking point and they would have just went into seclusion otherwise. Maybe that led them to reach out to other people to support Roy, reaching out to more people once they got past that silence. I might be one of them, who knows? Spreading the word to even one person at the right time could mean 1,000 supporters, even if you never know about it happening.

There's likely to be at least a few here. In the Facebook group. On other sites.

After all, we're fighting the detractors the same way, so is it really alien?

Even if you didn't live up to your original expectations, don't think of it as failure.

Your passion might not be as strong now, but look at your post. That speech in itself is a feat and a lot of passion. I can only imagine what it was capable of before.

That's even more negative and wrong than what Roy detractors say, and that's saying something.

Reading through posts a few years back, do you really have the right to say that? I don't believe @ Croph Croph or a decent amount of the members from back then or even now would be as motivated or even continuing their place in this thread without you. If your passion now isn't as strong as it was before, and you still managed to give a rousing speech that I bookmarked from just a few paragraphs in, do you think I'd believe your passion years ago was capable of nothing in the grand scheme of things? There is so much data, so many ideas, and so much support from you that's been built into the original thread that stands today. I've relied on this data to talk people previously against Roy into becoming regular members on this thread and a Facebook group. A decent amount of those supporters have done the same across sites. It spreads.

You talk fondly of our strength now, but you gave us resources that allowed us to build ourselves up to that point.

Without it, I wouldn't have made a website due to The Royvolution's leader sending me some of the statistics straight from this thread. Without that website, Croph would have never contacted me personally. Without being contacted personally, I wouldn't have seen this thread, I wouldn't have a website that's attracted a lot of attention to persuade nonbelievers, I wouldn't have directed so many people to this thread, and The Royvolution group on Facebook wouldn't be nearly as strong since the site made it what it is. I probably wouldn't even give vocal support to Roy now, and I might think nothing more than just playing as him with buddies, just from thinking about what I used your research for. Seriously, give yourself more credit in the grand scheme of things.

Even if you can't do as much now, that's understandable. We all lose passion for things, and while I've done a lot for Roy in the last few days, I'm honestly a bit lazy on the website at the moment. It's all up to the modern supporters right now, yes, each of us individually has to push as much as we can, but that doesn't mean you won't fit in once it's all said and done, or that any of your efforts were in vain. The failed experiences were educational and still ultimately led to what we have now. At least a few people will remember you on the topic of Roy.
Thank you for the kind words. You have done a lot in regards to support for Roy. I deeply appreciate your efforts.

I am fatigued because I fought for over seven years. The Roy haters are the most venomous of possibly all character detractors, and by far the loudest. Roy has among the largest fanbases in Smash, and no matter how much those guys are disproven, they never shut up.

They were wrong about Roy being forced in by Intelligent Systems. Still say it was IS and not Sakurai whose idea it was to include Roy.

They were wrong about Roy and FE6 being well-liked in Japan. Actually, they kind of backpedaled on this one. On /v/ I see plenty of racism against the Japanese for being avid Roy fans, instead saying racist things about Japanese fans somehow mitigates the fact he is popular over there.

They were wrong that Roy is not popular, yet consistently polls as among the most wanted characters for Smash DLC. When Roy was confirmed for Project M, he brought hype through the roof for that game, and he is among the most popular characters for that hack.

There is a reason why the haters ooze bile through every pore and orifice of their being. Its fear. Initially, it was fear that Roy might actually return, and anger that they know deep down their lies are just that, lies. Now that things are looking to be that Roy might actually be included, their anger and fear has increased 10-fold. They know despite all their exasperating and delirious wailing that "no one wants fire Marth" that upon release he may just end up how he was received in Melee and Project M, as one of the most popular characters. A whole new generation of Roy fans will be born, and all of their years of venom will have been for naught.

In the end, many people can't think for themselves, and I think that is especially true for Roy detractors. In nearly all of my debates with them, they struggle strongly with the fact that many of their arguments they use are cognitively dissonant with other characters they like or support.

They claim Roy fans are not legitimate fans because they have not played his game. Well I guess most Marth, Ike, Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, ROB, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch fans are not fans of those characters either considering that most fans of those characters have not played their source material.

They claim Roy does not deserve to return because of his performance as a unit in FE6, yet Jigglypuff certainly is not a top tier Pokemon.

They claim Roy shouldn't come back because he was a crappy Marth clone, yet in another topic gush about how much they love Lucina, who is far more similar to Marth than Roy was, and also looks to be competitively worse than Roy was.

They claim that Roy should not return because his time in Fire Emblem is over. Yet the likes of Sheik, Ike, and Jigglypuff are welcome to stay.

They say Roy is hated, yet ignore just how popularly requested he is and just how many people fondly remember him in Melee and how popular of an addition he became in Project M.

For nearly 10 years they have lived in a bubble blown bigger and bigger by their hubris and hate, and now its becoming evident that this bubble is about to be popped, they cry about now being exposed to the reality they have so long been insulated against by their bubble. Its time to grow up, and accept that despite all their efforts, many of us love Roy and many more will enjoy him upon his return.

@ ChronoBound ChronoBound Nice to hear from you again. Even if I wasn't around in the beginning to see it all, I appreciate all the support you've given over the years. And no problem, we'll do most of the heavy lifting from here.

It's really great to see so many Roy supporters coming together. I'm glad I could be part of this, and some campaigns. Because honestly, even if Roy doesn't become DLC, I'm having so much fun doing stuff like this.

While I have you, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new Fire Emblem game, especially since there seems to be multiple versions of the game (dunno if the same thing will happen in the West). Well, I can't wait for some new info.

AND HEY NO ONE IS A FAILURE HERE! Listen to @Royvolution Ream he knows what's up!
Seriously he put what I wanted to say in far better words than what I could.

Wow... it's actually scary how true this might have been. It must be fate that drawn us all together or something.
As with Ream, you have done a great deal to help build the Roy fanbase and I am appreciative of your efforts.

As for FE14, I am deeply concerned about the DLC plans for it. I am very wait and see on it, however, I don't like how we are being charged for alternate story paths in the game. Originally, that was called re-play value.

As for FExSMT, the less said the better. It can maybe be best described as Animu - The Game. Haha.

Also, in regards to your last comment, we Roy supporters our a tight fanbase for sure. We have supported him for years on end, and we rarely got a positive development thrown at us. Shared struggle brings people together, and a love of a similar interest as well. I might be biased, but I can't really think of another fanbase that has been like this. There are very few fanbases left that have been around for years that still have people still supporting the character. K. Rool and Isaac are the only two that come to mind. There is really no other fanbase that has endured as much crap thrown at them yet still stayed and fought like we have. Hopefully, the Ridley fanbase can look to us on how to keep fighting even when you got a bunch of loudmouths against you.

We are very unique amongst fanbases and for that reason, we might be tight knit.

That was beautiful. Simply beautiful.

@Royvolution Ream and @ Croph Croph have already said this, but it can not be said enough: give yourself more credit! When I was younger, everyone I knew loved Roy, so it was baffling to me that he didn't return for Brawl. What I found even more baffling was the fanbase's reaction to his cut. Where I was expecting to see massive outcry, I saw "Nah, he sucks. I'm glad he's gone." Sure I saw support for him here or there, but in a lot of cases it seemed like people who missed him were content to move on to Ike or other characters. There were so many times that I felt like I was the only one who really truly wanted him back.

When Smash 4 was announced, I barely cared. I thought there was no way my favorite character would return, so why should I? I minimally started paying attention to the fanbase, and by chance ran into a link to your thread about the Japanese fanbase's desires during pre-Smash 4. Seeing that Roy was the second most requested character in Japan was my first glimmer of hope in a long time. It led me to dig a little deeper and I found this very thread. There were probably about 30 or so pages at the time and I read every single page. Every single post. Especially for any posts you made. Time and again I saw you shoot down detractors with sound arguments, many of them that I still use today.

In the end, if you think you accomplished nothing, I can tell you that you are wrong.

You are the one who brought me here.

You are the one who caused me stick around and make an account on SmashBoards.

You are the one who gave me real hope that I would once again see my very favorite character in one of my favorite game series once again.

You are the one who gave me the passion to fight for what I want.

I've meant to say this to you many times, but thank you! Thank you so much! The reason I'm trying so hard to fight for Roy's return is directly a result of your efforts. You eventually had to take a step back, and that's okay. @ Croph Croph took up the torch of managing the thread and @Royvolution Ream has put so much effort into this fight that it completely blows my mind sometimes. The three of you have made such and impact and if we do get Roy back one day, it will be especially because of the efforts you all made. Each and every Roy supporter is valuable in this fight, but I will always believe that you are the one who got the ball rolling and made us as strong as we are. I have no doubt that without you, we wouldn't be where we are today.
Your words have touched my heart, and they are invaluable. Yes, all of us are important in this struggle. I am pleased with any Roy supporter that ever speaks up in his support of Roy.

It looks to be through everything we have worked for might finally come to fruition, but the fight is not over. We still need to fight on and support Roy. Only when he is confirmed can we finally rest.

Also, you are right about Roy. In the real world and among most people who don't substitute gaming message boards for a life, Roy is very loved. I even had a five year old tell me back in 2009 saying "Roy was so gnarly in Melee. Why didn't they bring him back for Brawl?" Roy brought so many people fond memories and happy times. Roy was a clone, yet even after nearly 15 years, he is more requested to return than unique characters such as Squirtle and Ivysaur. I do support those two btw, and think they should return. However, it really shows that Sakurai was right about Roy possessing a charm that made many people not forget him despite being based off of another character. The red hair, the fiery sword, Jun Fukuyama's memorable cries and grunts, despite being a clone and so many sword fighters already in Smash, Roy still stuck out amongst the cast.

Roy supporters need to become more vocal. We are definitely a large fanbase, but too many Roy supporters are too timid to speak up. Just remember you are not alone. I never cared to be with the crowd. I would speak my mind on what I felt in my heart, whether most people agreed with it or not.

With Ridley he was the most highly wanted character in Smash Bros. for many years, yet when he failed to make it in Smash Bros., so many so-called "fans" and "supporters" turned on him and basically mock and insult anyone who still supports Ridley. I think for many characters people simply don't actually support them but simply get hyped over other people's hype. Even wanting characters for reasons like "think of the moveset potential" or "xxx series needs more reps" might NOT actually be of the stuff that makes people stay when the seas get stormy.

I think, for fans who truly do love the character and want to see them in Smash Bros., the deepest support ties in with those who have built up a connection with the character. Like I imagine someone who supported Shulk because Xenoblade was one of their favorite game experiences ever more deeply and honestly supported the character than someone who supported him because "everyone else is supporting him" or "look at this cool potential moveset" or "we need more new series reps".

I think that might be the reason why Roy fans have endured for so long. You can't really point to Roy and say "FE needs more characters" or "look at the cool moves he could have guys". Ironically enough, Roy support mostly stems through most having developed a bond to the character. For many of us, we shared great memories and times playing Melee with friends, family, or even by ourselves. Winning, losing, it didn't matter. We had fun. Roy was fun. Its more than nostalgia. Those who discovered Roy with Project M still enjoyed him just as those who discovered him during the GameCube era. Playing as a character, and enjoying them, builds more support than anything else. I think that is why veterans are so heavily supported.

When I see characters supported, I wonder, are they supported because people really did like those characters or do they just supporting them because they are being told they should be supported by a few loudmouths. Ironically, the clamors by the Roy haters that Roy fans are not legitimate fans is perhaps the most amusing of ironies, it might be so that Roy support is perhaps among the deepest of all character support bases.

It's truly heartwarming how much support Roy is receiving now that the Smash Ballot is an actual thing. Japan in particular is very fond of Fire Emblem 6's protagonist, and they do want him back.

Logically, the odds are against us since Lucina is already the clone of Marth, and I'm not sure if Sakurai and the Smash Team are willing to bring back yet another clone, as easy as it may sound. BUT if the demand to see Roy is strong enough, they may do that, or maybe even consider giving him the same treatment that Luigi and Falco received.

I'll be honest though, while this certainly brings a smile to my face, I'm not keeping my hopes that high. Yet, I'd love to see our boy back in the battlefield. No disrespect to those who still support him, actually, please keep doing that, keep doing what I -and maybe others- can't.
I am glad you feel the same. I know you have been a Roy supporter for many years. Myself, you, and Col are among the few Roy supporters from the pre-Brawl Roy support topic still posting in this topic. The odds are against us, yet despite all odds we still have supported him.

...;-; Cmon guys, at least give a girl a feels warning. I don't know how to hold all these feels right now.

Everyone else has already said what I would've. Thanks Chrono for being so inspiring. :'D

As for Roy and his playstyle... I've always enjoyed how he's like a "glass cannon" character. Its more fun for me to get up in someone's face than to constantly space them out. He's high risk, but also high reward if you get him right.

So many double and triple KOs I would get with him in Melee. |D

@ Steelia Steelia - people always get worked up over numbers. It's honestly pretty frustrating seeing that. I voted for characters that I wanted (so... Roy and Isaac) and I wouldn't change those votes no matter what. People should vote for who they want and respect the others who vote for other characters... Even if something crazy happened like only getting one more DLC character.
I appreciate that I was able to uplift your spirits. Seeing the support of all of you has uplifted me.

Also, I agree on the last paragraph in your post, people should not support what's popular or not. If they like the character, they should simply support them.

Not gonna parrot what all else said here. This had me in tears actually. It's just true in everyway, except you talking still humbly about your efforts.

Maybe we'll make you see how much you truly mean to us all these times when it came to supporting Roy's return to Smash.
I am moved that I was able to touch in such a profound way. Honestly, when I was talking earlier about how genuine character support is made by a deep connection to the character, your anecdote for why you supported Dixie Kong came to mind. You loved Donkey Kong Country 3 a great deal, and the setting of DKC3 reminded you warmly of where you live. I think that such support is becoming increasingly uncommon as the more notable characters have already been added into Smash Bros., but its stuff like that for why people support the characters they do, even if many people think they shouldn't support such a character for whatever reason.

I wouldn't mind seeing Roy back myself to be honest. He only needs to be at least as unique as Falco, Lucas and Toon Link. Since it was Chrom's supposed role to be the 'inbetween Marth and Ike power and speed' character but never made it, I think Roy could be like that.
I do think Roy will be luigi-fied to a certain extent. I think especially with Lucina entering the mix, Sakurai might even do what you suggested but most likely I see him being changed to a similar extent to what Falco and Ganondorf were changed from Melee to Brawl. I think people should have more faith in Sakurai. People tend to point to Mewtwo and Lucas not having any change in their movesets, yet there was little reason for them to be changed. These same people also previously thought Sakurai would not do any newcomers until after all the veterans were added in, yet now whine about how adding Ryu ignored the ballot. Its very petty.

Dropping by to say I voted for Roy in the ballot...and I'm also going to get a few friends who offered to do the same.

I also intended to email Nintendo on this subject some time ago, but I got sidetracked and never got to it. I'm glad to say now however that the deed is done...It's not like 500 words (in the ballot) is enough to do him justice anyway, haha.

In any case, it's nice to see how much the support has picked up, and not just here. There were some lonely battles being fought, even just a few months ago. It certainly feels like Roy's return can be more of a reality than ever.
We truly do feel on our own. Many other fanbases do scratch each other's back but for the longest time we pretty much had to fight our own battles and prominent members in the community rarely had our back. I think that might change, but maybe I am being too optimistic.

It doesn't really effect Wolf's chances anyway, I'm sure he'll get in. It's just nice to see our boy get some love!

...I'm seriously hoping for all vets now, though. Except for Pichu, and Young Link whom I don't even count anyway.
I hope all veterans return personally. I think Wolf fans should smile that Roy is returning seeing as Wolf has all of the pluses Roy had and none of the minuses. Wolf I think is a shoe-in to return, and will most likely be confirmed whenever Star Fox Wii U is released. Wolf fans that are dismayed that Roy may be returning sooner than him need to keep in mind that possible reason. Also, keep in mind this year is Fire Emblem's 25th anniversary and a new FE game releases in Japan in a few months.

Its a shame that Squirtle and Ivysaur don't get more support considering how iconic they are and how inventive their movesets were. I think that it might be because few people played as them in Brawl, and thus a deep connection with those characters did not develop for them like with other veterans. I think the same actually applies with Pichu, him being purposely terrible while it did give him a charm, led to many not playing as him.

In the end, no veteran returning is a wasted slot. Though I personally think Toon Link is more or less Young Link with a name change and design change.

@ ChronoBound ChronoBound Very~ interested in hearing your thoughts.
I am happy about this. However, I know the next few months will be daunting, and we still have to wait on an official confirmation. The haters are firing up all engines hoping their vitriol will make Roy supporters shut up and thinking if they scream loud enough Roy won't return. For this reason, we should be the loudest we have every been as a fanbase. The final battle is here.
It looks like Our Boy is almost home!
I'm really glad we're getting our last Melee Musketeer back!

Fukuyama would definitely be making a return to voice Roy. I have no doubts about it in my mind.
I actually saw a Japanese Smash Bros. fan say that they shouldn't bother to bring back Roy if they can't get Fukuyama to reprise his role. Haha. I think Sakurai knows Jun's performance as Roy was part of his appeal.

Most people don't think he will changed up in any significant way. Looking at Mewtwo and Dr. Mario, their fears are quite justified.

Mewtwo had no reason to be changed. As for Doc, he was already more different from Mario than he was in Melee simply due to how much Mario has changed since then. Secondly, Doc was a last minute addition so he could not have been given more luigi-fication. Just look at how Lucina and Dark Pit turned out. I think Lucina's inclusion will be an impetus to make Roy a bigger contrast to Marth upon his return than originally planned.

Mewtwo and Lucas returning the same does ruin the thought of a Semi-clone Roy a bit although those two weren't exactly in dire need of moveset changes in the first place. I still think Lucina being playable will force some changes to Roy's moveset.
I concur.

I want to literally somehow break though my computer and shake the hand of the person who wrote that post. It's good to see the internet isn't filled with morons.
Want to shake my hand? Haha. I am warmed that you loved by rebuttal. It actually convinced a lot of people in the NeoGAF thread. I only wish I posted it sooner.

inb4 a wave of Roy 'supporters' come in, saying they supported him all the way

The true Roy supporters have had it pretty tough over the years. Hell, just go look at the very first reply to this thread made a few years back:

Even after Smash4 was released and Roy didn't make the cut, I still felt that if they went through with DLC that he'd have a decent shot. He's still a fairly popular character over in Japan coincidentally. It's just frustrating to have had to deal with so many people talking in absolutes like 'He definitely won't return' and whatnot.

Anyway, obviously nothing is guaranteed, but at least people will have to acknowledge that he has at least a shot of getting into the game with he new sound files appearing.

Also.. Just wanted to point out something a little humorous while looking through my post history in this thread.. Turns out a couple years ago I came up with an idea of how to properly make a Marth clone*coughLucinacough*.
Yes, you are one of the few Roy supporters that still here from the pre-Brawl days. Its nice to see that we might actually be seeing our dream of restoration finally being realized after all the struggles we faced over the years.

What really winds me up is everyone is banging about how Roy is a clone, while Ryu, THE MOST VANILLA FIGHTING GAME PROTAGINIST IN THE WORLD, gets a free pass for being "iconic".
I personally am very dismayed how some are acting like Roy personally slighted them, but Ryu definitely deserves to be in Smash Bros. He is a gaming legend, especially for the fighting genre. Ryu also has precedence over appearing in many crossovers, so its fitting he should make his debut in what has now become the most popular of fighting franchises.

That's @ ChronoBound ChronoBound

Tell him yourself.

Either way, glad to have mah boy back!
Haha. Thanks.

As a Fire Emblem fan you shouldn't be happy about Roy (if he remained a clone that is) it is gonna only add oil to the fire that's the Fire Emblem image in SSB4, Lucina ruined the image, and Roy will destroy it completely.
The FE fanbase makes itself look bad by themselves, and this is coming from a longtime FE fan. The fact is that Roy made many become FE fans to begin with.

Casual reaction (Not Hardcore Melee Fan, grew up with game): My Boy's Back

Hardcore Reaction (Grew up with Melee, hardcore Melee fan): Cool, great to see him back.

Ignorant People: We already have two Marths, its not like they ever change up clone movesets.

One of these things is not like the others.
You basically summed it up.

These are interesting times. Our battle is not yet over. We need to push harder in our support than we have ever pushed before. I will say more on another day (rally the troops) if I get the chance.

However, speaking of interesting, Sakurai will apparently be a guest speaker and moderator at that 25th anniversary Fire Emblem concert in July

http://www.fe25thevent.com/event/event2.html

The final battle has begun. As Ike would say, prepare yourself.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mewtwo had no reason to be changed. As for Doc, he was already more different from Mario than he was in Melee simply due to how much Mario has changed since then. Secondly, Doc was a last minute addition so he could not have been given more luigi-fication. Just look at how Lucina and Dark Pit turned out. I think Lucina's inclusion will be an impetus to make Roy a bigger contrast to Marth upon his return than originally planned.
It was just an observation. Mewtwo and Dr. Mario had little to no changes to their movesets, whatever the reason may be - nostalgia, didn't need them, or something else. Based on only precedence, I don't expect a lot changes.

That said, I don't have a problem with Roy being a clone. As long as he's fun to play as, and isn't too bad competitively, I'm happy.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
It was just an observation. Mewtwo and Dr. Mario had little to no changes to their movesets, whatever the reason may be - nostalgia, didn't need them, or something else. Based on only precedence, I don't expect a lot changes.

That said, I don't have a problem with Roy being a clone. As long as he's fun to play as, and isn't too bad competitively, I'm happy.

Personally, I'd be fine with Roy being anything; I just want him in the game. :p

Though I have to think that he'll be using his Awakening design instead of his original design;
But with Sakurai, anything goes. :p

Last edited:

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
Eliwoodn't fit on Roy :smirk:

He would not work on Roy at all, the Durandal is way too massive even if they do finally do something with it being the "Sword of Sacred Flame" and I can't see it otherwise at all.

Eliwood is my #1 Fire Emblem character, and I would welcome any alt with Eliwood in open arms, but he wouldn't work quite right on Roy.
I understand where you're coming from as far as that it wouldn't work exactly but I'm so supportive of Eliwood I would accept him as a glorified costume for Roy just so that I play of him in some way shape or form.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Well, to be fair, Mewtwo already had a unique moveset, so no big revamps were needed.

Dr. Mario was made at the last minute, but still stands out more from Mario now because he was recreated from Melee, while Mario has the changes from Brawl, such as FLUDD.

Don't forget that Roy was planned for Brawl and probably was meant to be given the same treatment as Falco and Ganondorf. If Sakurai had plans for him in Brawl, he could be using some of the ideas he had back then for Roy this time.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Now that you mention, Sakurai's been taking us for a wild ride at every possible turn. He's broken so many fan-made standards - franchise reps have exceeded expectations (when everyone was thinking no more than 4 or 5 per), he's introduced chars no one would think would be viable (Wii Fit Trainer), he's introduced DLC veterans and opened a ballot (despite saying there were no DLC plans), and now he'll blow even more minds with the possible addition of Ryu (when the fan-made standard was only "one 3rd party per company"). Everyone's expecting Roy to come back 100% like he was in Melee... and maybe that's exactly what he wants us to think :surprised:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Yo, used to support Roy in here for a very brief moment here(then disappeared). Had to come back due to the exciting news. I know I'm late, but yay Roy's leaked!

Pretty cool and damn respectful how Roy is labelled as just "Roy" and not "Lord Roy" or anything to excuse his same-named turtle colleague, this leak is proof that the detractor's arguments were all artificial in the end.
Personally, I hope Roy keeps his original look. Him being the same as Melee is inevitable, and I welcome that happening.

Last edited:

SoulOfKhaos

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoulKhaos
What's this? Sakurai at a Fire Emblem event?
I'd be soo ahppy if it is Roy! Now let's wait and see, the FE concert is in 3 months.... It's going to be a long wait... (What if nothing is revealed though? :()

I wouldn't mind either if he happens to be a clone as long as he is given a better recovery. I'm fine with him being anything really, I just want him to have The Ph1r3!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I am moved that I was able to touch in such a profound way. Honestly, when I was talking earlier about how genuine character support is made by a deep connection to the character, your anecdote for why you supported Dixie Kong came to mind. You loved Donkey Kong Country 3 a great deal, and the setting of DKC3 reminded you warmly of where you live. I think that such support is becoming increasingly uncommon as the more notable characters have already been added into Smash Bros., but its stuff like that for why people support the characters they do, even if many people think they shouldn't support such a character for whatever reason.
Awww, I'm really glad I influenced your speech!

I really think all is true regarding support that is genuine and isn't, and Roy as of these days has to be one of the biggest ones with this reputation. At the end, while I wasn't ever against him, I do remember how I wasn't entirely interested into him and wouldn't have liked him as a mere clone. This is how I felt until discovering P:M's take on him and his personality dawning to me in bigger scale (thanks to this artist - he also does even more constructive and deeper look into Roy's character) and also having own personal value due liking Elibe-games and being sad that it's lacking representation, especially now that Awakening has become very influencing to future of FE, though in ways I don't really like.

Also there's this thing about me bonding over one very good Marth X Roy-fanartist (who is also a massive Roy-fan) who became saddened by her pairing being pretty much decade old news and not having much of a community to talk about it, leading to less gratification and not much a place to be in Smash-fandom in her eyes. But damn, her art's so good and had me actually want to look deeper into the pairing she loved - I didn't want that to disappear.

So I send her a lot encouraging words about trying to find new perspectives or depictions to breath new life on her pairing. I hoped she at least considered my words because I could see into her passion towards the pairing which I've seen she has drawn for years since the Melee's popularity, and it had developed into very pleasant to look at with nice professionalism.

Guess what, she actually replied after a long time, and I got to find out that I truly helped her get over her situation and found enjoyment once again out of her pairing. I think the feeling of pride and joy towards myself for helping her out this much was kind of indescribable - it shows a lot about how giving good wisdom out of helping a fan can always create something good.

We have been now friends and ATM we exchange words now and then on Twitter (And she caught on the news about Roy, and hopes to see them being real.)

As you can see, Roy has been quite a subject regarding me bringing positivity and wisdom to others that had me built self-confidence on myself, and also seeing deeper to someone that I wasn't very interested on (but didn't hate him) because I can relate to him a lot and admire his strengths and how his flaws also compliments them. And then the FE-related bonding on the Elibe-games and wishing to see that part of FE returning back to Smash after Awakening quite taking big chunk of the current FE-representation (while I'm not big fan of that game anymore).

Wouldn't really care much what detractors say, but I really think it's sweet to see his support keeping on going, as it's always genuine. I mean, even there's little reasons to bandwagon on him due being originally clone (that kinda being taken by Lucina's presence), and what he originally was is bound to get uninteresting for most. It's thus easy for the detractors to not comprehend his immense popularity nonetheless, especially when they keep thinking the reasons for supporting Roy is not valuable despite being same to other supported characters as well (nostalgia mostly, but also having other kinds of popularity like being one of the more popular lords globally, being part of the saga that brought FE outerseas as of today and is also one of the more popular and well-selling FEs in Japan, and he's one of more likeable lords in the series when you get over his stats not being his best forte. Even if he might feel not too different from others, but he's the one I saw first before Ike and multitude other Lords.

Finally, I'm really glad to hear you finally reconsidered your words after us telling how influencing they really were to most of us supporting Roy today. You've been around so long as I can remember, and have gone through a lot. Which is why I really wish for this to be true for your sake - I hope you'll stick with us to the final run (even if having to wait) as we'll talk over a character many keep underestimating the support and love for overall.

However, speaking of interesting, Sakurai will apparently be a guest speaker and moderator at that 25th anniversary Fire Emblem concert in July

http://www.fe25thevent.com/event/event2.html

The final battle has begun. As Ike would say, prepare yourself.
Interesting.
We could keep our eyes on this - who knows if something might happen regarding us?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom