• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Great posts guys.

You've must have never read the FE4 manga.
I haven't really read much manga in general. Did try to start with Tezuka's app on iPad, but that one was horrible and a waste of my $9.99 (not including tax). I also have the Viz Media app, but I haven't bought any paid stuff yet. Eventually, however, I do plan on reading mangas when I can get off my butt and learn some decent Japanese simply because many stories I want to see are edited to some degree (many Tezuka stuff and Dragon Ball are some examples) .

bobadz

Smash Ace
I haven't really read much manga in general. Did try to start with Tezuka's app on iPad, but that one was horrible and a waste of my $9.99 (not including tax). I also have the Viz Media app, but I haven't bought any paid stuff yet. Eventually, however, I do plan on reading mangas when I can get off my butt and learn some decent Japanese simply because many stories I want to see are edited to some degree (many Tezuka stuff and Dragon Ball are some examples) .
I was so frustrated by Viz's Dragon Ball edits, I just said **** it, and bought all 42 volumes of the Japanese version.

Anyways the FE4 manga includes a lot of violence and sex.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I know this very well from the previous fight I had for Roy during pre-Brawl. There was someone that was merely "neutral" on Roy (he was not a supporter of him or anything, but he saw no reason as to why he should be cut). One thing that really bugged him was the Sigurd fanbase's claims (these were the ones who attacked Roy the most), and he really felt that they were making up a lot of false claims, and always badgered them for proof behind the stuff they were saying (such as Sigurd being planned for Melee/Smash 64, Sigurd being Sakurai's favorite character, Sigurd being popularly requested for Melee, etc.).

He ended up translating Sakurai's pre-Melee journal (particularly the results), the pieces of the journal that were really integral (such as Sakurai talking about who his favorite FE character was), found the official Japanese FE6 poll, and the official Japanese FE7 poll. He translated some other Japanese articles too.

This guy ended up leaving right before the Brawl roster leak was confirmed because he was extremely disappointed with the final roster (among his beefs was Lip not making it in, Sheik returning while Mewtwo and Roy got the boot which he thought was a hypocritical decision by Sakurai, that is the only two I can remember from the top of my head). He never logged back in since that day.
I'm actually with this guy. Keeping Sheik but cutting Roy and especially Mewtwo was a bad move. And I view this as a clear mistake in terms of character decisions.

Anyways, will totally root for Roy whenever the oppertunity calls me for.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I really wish Xiivi would give me control of this entire topic instead of merely the second post. Even if I do update the second post with a whole bunch of stuff, very few people will check it out. I would also like to be able to change the topic title to reflect updates that were made to the opening post (such as "new moveset posted").
I think this is my biggest problem with the veteran section...it feels so barren! I understand that if all the vets were to be in the same section of the newcomers, it would feel crowded. But I'm sure the vets would receive more activity since it seems like everyone goes there. What should we do about this problem? Advertise like crazy?

On a sidenote, I found this piece of artwork that would make Croph go gaga:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=27641428

Upper left corner: Beta Roy
Lower left corner: Toddler Roy (appeared at the end of FE7)
Left of middle: FE13 Roy
Right of middle: FE6 Roy
Far right: Melee Roy
Must...not...fangirl...over some fictional character...

I don't think I've seen fanart of Beta-Roy before, so that's interesting.

Anyway, an epic FE6 pic that I've found some time ago.

Please, IS. Remake, please? :sadeyes:

D

Deleted member

Holy walls of text Batman!! Just what is going on ITT?

I dunno what we're preparing for. All the Roy dissenters can clamor all they want, but by now the Roster's likely been decided. No amount of support or lack thereof, or opposition is gonna change whatever Sakurai has decided on by now. For better or worse.

GameFAQs can waltz in here, but we'll just have the usual **** flinging, just on a larger scale. If anything "prepare your anus" for the upcoming ****storm.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I dunno what we're preparing for. All the Roy dissenters can clamor all they want, but by now the Roster's likely been decided. No amount of support or lack thereof, or opposition is gonna change whatever Sakurai has decided on by now. For better or worse.
Well said.

I doubt those wars will change anything. Given that more than one year of development has passed, the roster must be finished already, making these character wars kind of pointless... but I'm looking forward to the storm that will come, anyway.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Holy walls of text Batman!! Just what is going on ITT?

GameFAQs can waltz in here, but we'll just have the usual **** flinging, just on a larger scale. If anything "prepare your anus" for the upcoming ****storm.
You are right that the roster probably has largely been finalized at this point. However, my main worry for Roy is that he ends up being bumped out due to time constraints like in Brawl.

Basically a scenario like this:
Sakurai: "Hmmmm. I am really pressed for time, and Iwata is not going to let me delay the game past Q4 2014. I still have not finished Roy, Dixie Kong, Bowser Jr., and Toon Zelda. I only have enough time to get one done. I know a lot of people have been asking for more females and another magic user, so what better way to satisfy those people then by giving them Toon Zelda. *laughs :troll: "

By creating a lot of noise for Roy in the West, it would help solidfy Roy as the "newcomer" character he would choose to save if put in such a situation.

If character DLC happens for Smash 4 I could rest easier because technically Sakurai could eventually getting around to implementing everyone he had PLANNED. Until then, my main concern is that Roy could end up being bumped out due to time constraints.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, then wouldn't it make more sense to raise support for DLC, than to raise support for Roy?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmm, then wouldn't it make more sense to raise support for DLC, than to raise support for Roy?
The problem with this is that Sakurai could very well have a rigid belief pertaining to character DLC in Smash Bros. (perhaps deeming it unfair that people would have to pay for extra content, or those with an internet connection/extra money get access to more content than others do).

Sakurai is quite conservative in some of his beliefs.

D

Deleted member

Well, fans managed to persuade him to add 3rd party characters, and I don't think many would be against it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well, fans managed to persuade him to add 3rd party characters, and I don't think many would be against it.
I never heard that anywhere. You are thinking of Sonic (in which strong request was what made he get added). Snake getting in was pretty much Hideo Kojima's insistence. Snake getting in opened the floodgates to tons of third-party requests.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Floodgates? You can easily call that ****storm...

It was terrible.

D

Deleted member

I never heard that anywhere. You are thinking of Sonic (in which strong request was what made he get added). Snake getting in was pretty much Hideo Kojima's insistence. Snake getting in opened the floodgates to tons of third-party requests.
Yeah, it was at Kojima's request, but one could argue that fans wanting Sonic since the Melee rumors persuaded his decision to add Snake as well.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I know this very well from the previous fight I had for Roy during pre-Brawl. There was someone that was merely "neutral" on Roy (he was not a supporter of him or anything, but he saw no reason as to why he should be cut). One thing that really bugged him was the Sigurd fanbase's claims (these were the ones who attacked Roy the most), and he really felt that they were making up a lot of false claims, and always badgered them for proof behind the stuff they were saying (such as Sigurd being planned for Melee/Smash 64, Sigurd being Sakurai's favorite character, Sigurd being popularly requested for Melee, etc.).

He ended up translating Sakurai's pre-Melee journal (particularly the results), the pieces of the journal that were really integral (such as Sakurai talking about who his favorite FE character was), found the official Japanese FE6 poll, and the official Japanese FE7 poll. He translated some other Japanese articles too.

This guy ended up leaving right before the Brawl roster leak was confirmed because he was extremely disappointed with the final roster (among his beefs was Lip not making it in, Sheik returning while Mewtwo and Roy got the boot which he thought was a hypocritical decision by Sakurai, that is the only two I can remember from the top of my head). He never logged back in since that day.

He single handedly eliminated the Sigurd fanbase by translating the Melee poll and journal, yet he was not even a fervent supporter of Roy. He merely thought Roy had no reason to be cut and that he should return since he was popular and well-received character.

I think you are probably more like that guy. You are more motivated by an animus towards Chrom and the legions of people at GameFAQs who worship him for whatever reason (seriously Chrom has the strongest support anywhere at GameFAQs, though all the prediction rosters at NeoGAF have Chrom on their roster) than actual support for Roy. I mean you don't think Roy should be excluded, and actually agree that he should return (and that at least he would be a better choice than Chrom/Lucina)
That sounds kind of the situation I'm in, even right down to being a supporter for Lip. Not sure if I'd change the whole game by being "revolutionary" though. I'm not here to change lives, just here to shovel down the truth. If there's one thing that won't fly, it's people blinded by ignorance. Which is where the Chrom and GameFAQs thing comes into play, and one thing for sure is that it's not a justified endeavor.

Also yes, I do find Roy the be the better choice then Chrom/Lucina. For starters, Roy is a character people actually give a crap about. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Roy and do question why he's popular via experience, if more people will be happy with Roy, so be it. I'm not going to be that person that's going to cry over spilled milk if Roy does not make it in.

However, in FE, its important to remember that there are plenty of characters that don't believe in "the cause" (typically restoring a homeland) and instead fight for other motives (money, revenge against a particular enemy, etc.), but along the way sympathy grows for the cause of the lord that has employed him/her.

Cracking GameFAQs is going to be really hard, however, they are certainly beatable. There are really only two really fervent Chrom supporters there. In the face of a whole bunch of Chrom naysayers they will fold, or at the very least become much more skeptical on him as a prospective character.

However, although that is where your aim ends, I want to go beyond that and make GameFAQs a hospitable environment for Roy supporters, and have a large healthy network of supporters there.

We will see how things end up. In FE, you gain some unexpected allies and make friends out of former enemies. However, one thing is for certain there is going to be profound challenges ahead of us.
More Fire Emblem analogies I see... fair enough, this is a Fire Emblem discussion after all. Not sure if I fall into a certain archetype like a particular character in the franchise.

Well, like any enemy, you have to find their weakspot and hit it for massive damage. The weakspot in this case is that the support is not strong, and as they say a weak foundation is easily broken. All that's needed is to show the error of their ways through example. Cold hard evidence can turn the tide of any debate. However, the key thing is to be persistent.

It's not that there aren't any Chrom or Pac-Man supporters that want them for who they are (I do agree that a few legitimate Pac-Man supporters exist) so much as the issue I have with is that the majority of people just support them because they feel Chrom and/or Pac-Man HAVE to be in. Pac-Man especially bothers me with his "expected but not wanted" status since I feel as people are missing the point of what makes third-parties so special; because they aren't supposed to be expected and they're suppose to be exciting. Pac-Man to most people, simply isn't. Chrom and Pac-Man's situation aren't the same, but I do feel as they're comparable.

That said, your response was fair enough, especially given that unlike Chrom, the only thing I can do is sit and wait to see if Pac-Man gets revealed at E3 and unlike with Fire Emblem, fighting against other third-parties is futile. Back to Chrom...
Look, we're only going to get surprised by a third party character if it comes out of the left field. Sonic may of brought hype, but the surprise factor was underwhelming. Same thing will apply to Mega Man and (to an extent) Pac-man. If you want something more surprising, try something more along the lines of say Ryu Hayabuse or Bayonetta. I would adore the former.

But yes, it's not exactly the same thing, but again I will say the case of Chrom is not as strong. Pac-man at least has the benefit of being a gaming icon to the point of being a influential figure, while Chrom is seen as just another Lord in Fire Emblem. While neither are the most appealing, I could see why Pac-man would hypothetically be chosen. But at the same time, we don't really need him ether, so it's not going to be deal breaker ether way.

Not to mention that like ChronoBound brought up before, Ike should have destroyed the sales argument, given that his game sold very poorly in Japan (lowest selling FE game) yet got in because of his character. Sales are also not correlated to fan demand. Higher sales of FE13 has not made Chrom a more popular addition than Roy of FE6, not by a large margin.
Personally I blame the notion of being recent being the culprit, which is relatively blunt with Brawl putting in a lot of content that was more recent. Trophies in particular were ripped from other games (Twilight Princess, Pokemon Battle Revolution Fire Emblem: Radiant of Dawn etc.) released around the time, which is why some series got a lot more then others. Roy (ironically) is also a bit of an contributor, making people think that a character will be included to promote some game.

As for characters that would stand out more, it makes me wish we could get Leif (Leaf) with his Master Knight class status. It would be a dream come true for those wanting a character with an unique move set. Sadly, that day will never come... :(
Again, Ephraim. Would really like the idea of a lance user. To an extent, Hector and Micaiah too for some sort of change of pace. Fire Emblem in my opinion has untapped potential that is unfortunately ignored. But at the same time, there's an understanding as to why. Hell, being more distinctive is one reason why I'd pick Roy over Chrom/Lucina. His fire sword provides more liberties with moves.

I also noticed that you're trying to involve game play into arguing for a character. Since I mainly focus on what I feel gets a character in (importance, popularity, uniqueness (not necessarily move set potentials), being able to fit in), I don't really emphasize in game play a lot, but I do feel as we should sharpen our blades for game play arguments, especially on Smashboards (where game play is taken more seriously).
Gameplay is a very important factor, more important then people think. How a character plays can make or break a character. Even if the character in question was Jesus Christ with machine guns riding a grizzly bear, it won't matter much if he's a **** character. You know what I mean? You think people were ****ting on Mewtwo for the hell of it? In the end, how a character plays will be the ultimate factor in the long run.

On top of it, the characters this time around are not as blunt. A lot of them are more obscure then the normal fluff, and in cases they don't even have a foundation to work off of. You need to be more persuasive with these characters, give us a reason to play as them. The days of having a pretty face being the definitive factor is long gone.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Gameplay is a very important factor, more important then people think. How a character plays can make or break a character. Even if the character in question was Jesus Christ with machine guns riding a grizzly bear, it won't matter much if he's a **** character. You know what I mean? You think people were ****ting on Mewtwo for the hell of it? In the end, how a character plays will be the ultimate factor in the long run.
you won't know a new character's moveset until it comes out, some movesets (i.e. Captain Falcon) were basically pulled out of thin air
using that to try to justify adding/keeping out a new character is ridiculous

D

Deleted member

you won't know a new character's moveset until it comes out, some movesets (i.e. Captain Falcon) were basically pulled out of thin air
using that to try to justify adding/keeping out a new character is ridiculous
C. Falcon wasn't pulled out of thin air, he was inspired by Kamen Rider, who's... kind of a big deal in Japan.

Every character barring clones has been built with a certain playstyle in mind. Well, except Yoshi, but that's the reason he sucks.

D

Deleted member

Inspired by Kamen Rider, though with actions in the Blue Falcon in mind.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You are right that the roster probably has largely been finalized at this point. However, my main worry for Roy is that he ends up being bumped out due to time constraints like in Brawl.

Basically a scenario like this:
Sakurai: "Hmmmm. I am really pressed for time, and Iwata is not going to let me delay the game past Q4 2014. I still have not finished Roy, Dixie Kong, Bowser Jr., and Toon Zelda. I only have enough time to get one done. I know a lot of people have been asking for more females and another magic user, so what better way to satisfy those people then by giving them Toon Zelda. *laughs :troll: "

By creating a lot of noise for Roy in the West, it would help solidfy Roy as the "newcomer" character he would choose to save if put in such a situation.

If character DLC happens for Smash 4 I could rest easier because technically Sakurai could eventually getting around to implementing everyone he had PLANNED. Until then, my main concern is that Roy could end up being bumped out due to time constraints.
Sakurai was pressed for time because he had to add Sonic. This will likely be less of an issue. That, and he's one of the most popular characters around.

D

Deleted member

Blue Falcon? Really? How so? I know Fox was made with the Arwing in mind...

Well, anyway, it certainly wasn't out of thin air.
Falcon Kick = Boost Power
Falcon Dive = Jump Pad (more noticeable in Smash 64; though obviously the grab and explode was original, though I believe it might have been a reference to grinding opponents against the walls)
Raptor Boost/Falcon Knuckle = Side Attack (especially when connecting the insta-helpless when you fly off the platform with missing a Side Attack and falling off the track)

Falcon Punch is the only one I can't draw a clear connection to, though it could be:
a) representative of the Side Attack as well, just like how Fox has both Fire Fox and Fox Illusion to represent Boosting in an Arwing
b) representative of the Spin Attack, as both are powerful hits that require good timing
c) representative of the Mine traps, as both are explosive, powerful, and take a chunk of health
d) none of the above and simply to go with the Falcon Kick to make more connection to Kamen Rider

This is why I feel that any future F-Zero character is going to have Specials comparable to Falcon no matter who it is.
Though this hasn't anything to do with Roy so I'll just leave it at that.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm actually with this guy. Keeping Sheik but cutting Roy and especially Mewtwo was a bad move. And I view this as a clear mistake in terms of character decisions.

Anyways, will totally root for Roy whenever the oppertunity calls me for.
Diddy, I keep on finding more and more stuff that we seem to agree on. If we actually met we may be good Smash buddies. :bee:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's a thing many don't agree with me on though. Especially in these days. 'Bla bla, no cuts' is the preffered mentality here. :/ Even though it's so ****ing stupid Sheik made it in Brawl, and not Mewtwo and Roy. Especially as Roy was still more relevant to Fire Emblem than Sheik was to Zelda.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Stop your bellyaching Diddy, complaining is not going to get you anywhere. If you want to ***** about Sheik, go to the Sheik thread.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
It's a thing many don't agree with me on though. Especially in these days. 'Bla bla, no cuts' is the preffered mentality here. :/ Even though it's so ****ing stupid Sheik made it in Brawl, and not Mewtwo and Roy. Especially as Roy was still more relevant to Fire Emblem than Sheik was to Zelda.
Roy had somebody who could uphold his moveset and that was Marth. Sheik didn't have anyone at the time. I'm fairly certain that dropping completely unique fighting styles was something that Sakurai wanted to avoid.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
>Mewtwo
>Not completely unique fighting style

Ok I'll stop now.

But seriously, Marth, Ike and Roy would've been able to coexist nicely in Brawl. So would Mewtwo with the Pokémon cast. I'm just pissed they picked someone as Sheik above those two all due to her Melee popularity. Now that she's nerfed as ****, nobody plays her. Whereas she's in Brawl exactly as bad as Mewtwo and Roy where in Melee if you'd compare... It's almost funny.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
>Mewtwo
>Not completely unique fighting style

Ok I'll stop now.

But seriously, Marth, Ike and Roy would've been able to coexist nicely in Brawl. So would Mewtwo with the Pokémon cast. I'm just pissed they picked someone as Sheik above those two all due to her Melee popularity. Now that she's nerfed as ****, nobody plays her. Whereas she's in Brawl exactly as bad as Mewtwo and Roy where in Melee if you'd compare... It's almost funny.
Roy and Mewtwo were supposed to be in Brawl, but cut due to time constraints.

What likely happened was that Zelda was finished and, since Sheik was part of Zelda's moveset, she tagged along with her alter-ego.

How about using logic instead of bias? :rolleyes:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thatdoesn'tworkmylogicisbasedofbias:D

Roy would've been cool to have extra in Brawl. Mewtwo even more. Stupid stupid stupid.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Thatdoesn'tworkmylogicisbasedofbias:D

Roy would've been cool to have extra in Brawl. Mewtwo even more. Stupid stupid stupid.
You obviously are rather ignorant about game development, but I'm not wasting my time arguing with someone who refuses to listen to the truth.

D

Deleted member

Falcon Kick = Boost Power
Falcon Dive = Jump Pad (more noticeable in Smash 64; though obviously the grab and explode was original, though I believe it might have been a reference to grinding opponents against the walls)
Raptor Boost/Falcon Knuckle = Side Attack (especially when connecting the insta-helpless when you fly off the platform with missing a Side Attack and falling off the track)

Falcon Punch is the only one I can't draw a clear connection to, though it could be:
a) representative of the Side Attack as well, just like how Fox has both Fire Fox and Fox Illusion to represent Boosting in an Arwing
b) representative of the Spin Attack, as both are powerful hits that require good timing
c) representative of the Mine traps, as both are explosive, powerful, and take a chunk of health
d) none of the above and simply to go with the Falcon Kick to make more connection to Kamen Rider

This is why I feel that any future F-Zero character is going to have Specials comparable to Falcon no matter who it is.
Though this hasn't anything to do with Roy so I'll just leave it at that.
Hmm, CrappyCapturedDevice?

D

Deleted member

Nope. CCD never made the connections as far as I know.

I made them myself by watching videos on the F-Zero series and playing GX. That, and SmashWiki draws the connection with the Side Attack with Raptor Boost/Falcon Knuckle.

D

Deleted member

Quick suggestion before I go to bed to Chrono.

When making counterarguments, aside from the help I gave at the very end of the last page, make sure to link everything you state. You need to be able to prove your claim on anything or else your arguments will be discredited regardless or whenever or not you are right. Got this advice from --- when talking about my counterarguments to arguments made against Mega Man and I feel they really help.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Decided to put on the good ol' Knights of Elibe banner. :3c These past couple years sure have gone by pretty quickly.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, things are suddenly related to Vyse. Not that's a problem...

Anyway, I still hold onto my belief that Roy would just generally lead to better reception. Granted it might vary considering we have absolutely no context as to what will happen, but it doesn't hurt to try. But one thing for sure is that there must be determination and we must smash through the impossible! After all, "Impossible" is just a word people use to feel good about themselves when they quit.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Also, things are suddenly related to Vyse. Not that's a problem...

Anyway, I still hold onto my belief that Roy would just generally lead to better reception. Granted it might vary considering we have absolutely no context as to what will happen, but it doesn't hurt to try. But one thing for sure is that there must be determination and we must smash through the impossible! After all, "Impossible" is just a word people use to feel good about themselves when they quit.
I've had Vyse avatars for years, I only recently switched it to the FE13 Roy design for SSB4 discussion... But seeing yours made me want to go back. D: Skies of Arcadia is like the best game ever, so yeah.

And yeah, I can almost guarantee that if Roy isn't in SSB4 that it would cause the biggest reaction out of any of the potential FE newcomers for the game. I even feel like if Chrom/Lucina got into SSB4, then they wouldn't return for any future Smash games either unless they appeared in another FE game.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Also, things are suddenly related to Vyse.
What are you talking about?! :troll:

Anyway, I'm curious as to what are the reasons that make Roy have more longevity than Chrom/Lucina because I'm not too sure myself. I mean, I know if Chrom isn't added, they'll be less questions being asked about him come Smash 5. And I'm almost certain that a FE6 remake will be made if Roy gets in (unless there's one already in the works prior to Smash 4. Though, ironically, Roy could promote the FE6 remake if it comes out after Smash 4). Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but idk...

D

Deleted member

What are you talking about?!

Anyway, I'm curious as to what are the reasons that make Roy have more longevity than Chrom/Lucina because I'm not too sure myself. I mean, I know if Chrom isn't added, they'll be less questions being asked about him come Smash 5. And I'm almost certain that a FE6 remake will be made if Roy gets in (unless there's one already in the works prior to Smash 4. Though, ironically, Roy could promote the FE6 remake if it comes out after Smash 4). Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but idk...
Mainly because many people actually care about Roy's inclusion whereas Chrom and Lucina are generally met with indifference, if not "ugh, we have to deal with them?". Like Habanero said, adding Chrom/Lucina is a lose-lose situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom