• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
So I checked if Link's full Mii Costume gives a Zelda-victory theme if you win while using it.

Turns out it doesn't.

I guess we could throw out the whole "Roy as Mii Costume"-thing out of the window. :4diddy:
Although this is good news for our boy, I kind of wish series-respective costumes did give you a custom victory theme. I'd love it if my Mega Man X Mii had Mega Man's win theme.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's all granted Sakurai has an idea to fix the problem with the IC's of course.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
So, we only have to wait 5 more days till Sunday, when Lucas will be released and Roy is finally announced. That will be a great day. How will you waste spent your time till then?
PM, Melee and Smash 4 nonstop until Sunday morning

I've been playing online as Marth with the Roy alt under the name "Roy4DLC" lately :roypm:

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That's all granted Sakurai has an idea to fix the problem with the IC's of course.
In all seriousness, I'd love to see Icies back. Imagine having them, Roy, Wolf, possibly Snake... we'd have basically the entire Smash-cast (sans Young Link and Pichu but they're Toon Link and Pikachu respectively)

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
In all seriousness, I'd love to see Icies back. Imagine having them, Roy, Wolf, possibly Snake... we'd have basically the entire Smash-cast (sans Young Link and Pichu but they're Toon Link and Pikachu respectively)
I really don't understand why Sakurai didn't give Toon Link/Pikachu a Young Link/Pichu alt. Makes all the sense in the world.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I disagree with the YLink being TLink thing but his chances of coming back are minimal now. Here's hoping there's a chance for him to return in Smash 5 with like a new moveset or something. Pichu I think could return in Smash 5 but probably not as Smash 4 DLC as it is right now. Then there's Squirtle and Ivysaur but nobody really pays attention to them that much lol.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
I disagree with the YLink being TLink thing but his chances of coming back are minimal now.
Why do you disagree? They play pretty much the same, aside from a few things such as TLink's dair not being able to "hop" like Link or YLink. I understand that some people want him to return with a new, Majora's Mask based moveset though, which would distance him from TLink.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Why do you disagree? They play pretty much the same, aside from a few things such as TLink's dair not being able to "hop" like Link or YLink. I understand that some people want him to return with a new, Majora's Mask based moveset though, which would distance him from TLink.
They don't have the same body proportions. It wouldn't work.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
There's no way those two have the same hurtboxes... Not with Toon Link's giant head.
Well, Sakurai did manage to make all of the Koopalings as alts for Bowser Jr. I'm sure he could make it work somehow.

Young Link as DLC with a pretty cool moveset has worked in the past, though:

I don't even think he really needs a declone. I don't think he was replaced by Toon Link, either. Young Link could work as an alt if they gave him some invisible hurtboxes and changed bomb animations, but I don't see it happening if Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit are too much to be alts. Even if Toon inherited his multi-hit spin and fire arrows, albeit as a custom for arrows. I like his old moveset and would like it as DLC, but I would also like something as cool as what's in that video. I'd just like Young Link in one way or another. Young Link actually has legitimate reasons to stay a true clone, he is literally Link as a child, and he could have different custom moves (if we even get them on Mewtwo/Lucas) and you could use fire arrows even with customs off.

Also, found an old YouTube comment of mine on the video:

They did a really good job at making Young Link unique here. Him and Roy are now much better DLC candidates for Smash Bros. Anyone who says "they'd just return as clones!" or anything similar needs to see how beautiful this is. Roy has so much to draw from via source material and his Awakening DLC that it easily rivals this. They could do a campaign where anyone who buys Roy DLC for Awakening (possibly the new FE too), or Young Link DLC for Hyrule Warriors gets a 3DS code and/or Wii U code for free DLC of that character. Someone with both versions could claim both codes, someone with just one version could give the other code to a buddy.

Plus YL's final smash is pretty much "cut out" for him.
--

I honestly think we're getting way ahead of ourselves with who "will" be revealed. I would like any veteran characters, though.

--

Ice Climbers COULD work if we made them one hurtbox and killed off the desync mechanic, kept the desync mechanic but killed AI on Nana and made her follow your actions from across the map, if we got a really buffed SoPo/SoNa with 4 palettes each like WFT/Robin for those who like the characters, or (strongly doubt this) if they were a New 3DS exclusive. Maybe we'll get a solution, maybe not.

--

Only 4 days until Lucas and the Smash Direct, less than a week for E3, bring it onnnnnn Nintendo!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Because their not the same characters. That's almost like saying Dr. Mario can't return because he's almost the same as Mario.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Because their not the same characters. That's almost like saying Dr. Mario can't return because he's almost the same as Mario.
I never said I'm opposed to his return as a separate character. I just don't see many differences between the two - they are both young, small, fast versions of Link, and they play similarly.

Forgive me, I almost sounded like a Roy hater for a minute, didn't I?
"They shouldn't add Roy back, Lucina replaced him! If they add Roy he should be an alt for Lucina!" :troll:

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
"They shouldn't add Roy back, Lucina replaced him! If they add Roy he should be an alt for Lucina!" :troll:
I've seen this argument multiple times, and it makes absolutely no sense if you ask me. Roy has unique attributes of his own that neither Marth or Lucina have, and demoting him into an alt would completely alienate the character and those who liked him in Melee. That's exactly the same reason why they decided to bring back Dr. Mario as his own character instead of sticking with their original idea as an alt for Mario: To appeal to the people who liked him in Melee. If they didn't do it to Doc, then they're most certainly not doing it to Roy, especially when he has much more time to be decloned further.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I never said I'm opposed to his return as a separate character. I just don't see many differences between the two - they are both young, small, fast versions of Link, and they play similarly.

I don't even understand why Lucina didn't stay an alt. Just give her the tipper mechanic and BAM - a lot less people complaining. This has always baffled me, but if Sakurai had a reason please someone fill me in.

EDIT: I'm not hating on Lucina mind you, I just don't get this. Just making sure no one misunderstood this.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

That's were decloning comes in to play. I really hope come Smash 5 YLink will get a shot to return because with the whole "Sakurai hates making cuts" thing taken in to consideration, he should have returned a long time ago.

I'm just glad to see Roy's finally coming back after a long time being cut from the roster. Hopefully he'll come back decloned and with his Awakening attire as it makes him look older and much more experienced compared to Melee Roy who was based on Roy when he was inexperienced.

I've seen this argument multiple times, and it makes absolutely no sense if you ask me. Roy has unique attributes of his own that neither Marth or Lucina have, and demoting him into an alt would completely alienate the character and those who liked him in Melee. That's exactly the same reason why they decided to bring back Dr. Mario as his own character instead of sticking with their original idea as an alt for Mario: To appeal to the people who liked him in Melee. If they didn't do it to Doc, then they're most certainly not doing it to Roy, especially when he has much more time to be decloned further.
Exactly. The Melee vets don't have any chance of being alts, even Young Link. TL doesn't have a triple overhead slash for a usmash, a sex kick nair, a slowly descending dair, the ability to grab the ledge after up-b'ing just over it, the ability to bomb drop without launching the zair chain (Link lost this as well but YL could bring it back), and maybe some other things I'm forgetting. Melee YL players don't like PM TL, Axe doesn't even want to use TL, which I think is enough to justify them being alongside each other.

--

I don't even understand why Lucina didn't stay an alt. Just give her the tipper mechanic and BAM - a lot less people complaining. This has always baffled me, but if Sakurai had a reason please someone fill me in.

EDIT: I'm not hating on Lucina mind you, I just don't get this. Just making sure no one misunderstood this.
After two generations with Melee and Brawl's clone complaints, Sakurai likely knew already how they would be received. With the little bit of spare time he had on his hands, he decided to make little bonuses about these characters who were planned to be alts, and it's all free content. I've always said that Smash Bros. fans are the only ones to complain about free content, which is sad but true, so I don't think you should be too hung up on these people. I personally like it because it is what it is: Freebies near the end of development. Even if Lucina's inclusion makes Roy's more difficult to push for, I like it because it's a freebie. Even if she doesn't bring much to the table, she still brings what she does. I think we would have seen Alph and maybe Male WFT on the CSS if Sakurai had even more time, and I'd certainly take Lucina over them.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-on-the-clone-characters-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/

This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped.
This is why we shouldn't be too hung up over Lucina/Doc/DP or people who complain about them. Hopefully people see this with Roy no matter the outcome since he's an optional addition to that restaurant's menu.

There are 3 fighters [Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario] that are alternate models (clones) in the game. Each was originally a color variation, but during development, they were given balanced characteristics. Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch.
Basically I chose this to quote to point out the freebie deal, for anyone here who may doubt me on it. I like how balancing them was easy due to their counterparts being used to balance them.

--

Have you guys seen any Miiverse support for Roy lately? I've got some spare time tonight to spread some posts.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
After two generations with Melee and Brawl's clone complaints, Sakurai likely knew already how they would be received. With the little bit of spare time he had on his hands, he decided to make little bonuses about these characters who were planned to be alts, and it's all free content. I've always said that Smash Bros. fans are the only ones to complain about free content, which is sad but true, so I don't think you should be too hung up on these people. I personally like it because it is what it is: Freebies near the end of development. Even if Lucina's inclusion makes Roy's more difficult to push for, I like it because it's a freebie. Even if she doesn't bring much to the table, she still brings what she does. I think we would have seen Alph and maybe Male WFT on the CSS if Sakurai had even more time, and I'd certainly take Lucina over them.
I never knew that. I guess you learn something new every day, huh? Now I feel bad for saying that because Sakurai put his time into having Lucina in the game for us... darn it XD

Got a few good summer predictions for you guys.

-}==>Sakurai presenting at the 25th anniversary concert
-}==>Roy already announced, his red/gold color nowhere to be seen and only a few palettes shown like what Mewtwo and Lucas intitially had in their trailers
-}==>Fans speculate FE6 remake/port
-}==>Possibly Roy's Codememe S.T.E.A.M, FE:If, and/or SMT x FE amiibo content
-}==>"With Pink Gold Peach in Mario Kart, I felt the need to spread that sort of easy to create extra to other Nintendo franchises"
-}==>Reveals Red Gold Roy as a Roy alt
-}==>Red Gold Roy speaks in Russian instead of Japanese in his CG reveal trailer
-}==>Shown fighting alongside his Soviet brethren against exploitation of the working class
-}==>Reveals Red Gold Roy amiibo that's even rarer than Gold Mario
-}==>Declares war on capitalism
-}==>Concert carries on normally immediately afterwards, the concert is so good that nobody persecutes Sakurai for his views or cares, the performance is immortalized by Nintendo fans worldwide so much that they want anything Roy or Fire Emblem they can get
-}==>All Roy haters wiped out and converted

*Sakurai wondering who to add after Roy and Ryu*

"Snake? I'll wait a bit to see what's up with Konami and Kojima. Dixie? No way. Lanky Kong? HELL no. Shantae? Mayyyyybe. K. Rool? Isaac? Squirtle? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good choices but"

*Stares into Young Link's deep blue eyes for several minutes just like he did with Roy's beautiful, deep blue eyes*

*Plays Young in Hyrule Warriors for a few hours and immediately starts developing him for Smash*

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with the YLink being TLink thing but his chances of coming back are minimal now. Here's hoping there's a chance for him to return in Smash 5 with like a new moveset or something. Pichu I think could return in Smash 5 but probably not as Smash 4 DLC as it is right now. Then there's Squirtle and Ivysaur but nobody really pays attention to them that much lol.
Probably double post but whatever. I actually really enjoyed Squirtle's play style. It was fun his side B was Mario koopa-esque. But yeah, rather have Roy

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Finally made it to Ch. 22 of FE6. After having to deal with the seemingly never-ending hoards of Dragons and Paladins, it's good to finally make it to the end of the game.

How powerful is the SoS? I tried experimenting it on a common enemy unit and it didn't OHKO him like I expected it to be. Maybe it's more effective against dragons or something?

Troykv

Smash Master
Finally made it to Ch. 22 of FE6. After having to deal with the seemingly never-ending hoards of Dragons and Paladins, it's good to finally make it to the end of the game.

How powerful is the SoS? I tried experimenting it on a common enemy unit and it didn't OHKO him like I expected it to be. Maybe it's more effective against dragons or something?
Yep, the SoS is effective against dragons (18 Base power in normal cases, with dragons the Base Power is 54... 18x3 = 54)

It generally OHKO's stuff or comes close from my memory, though it's been years since I was that far. Maybe your Roy has low STR. Either way the sword is hella beefy and will kill anything with a crit, and tears apart dragons. Use Hammerne to maximize its use, it also makes Roy tanky with its +5 to both defenses and you can use it as a psuedo double vulnerary since it heals 20HP on use.

Did... did you get all gaiden chapters/requirements and the good ending?

---

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm not sure. I haven't finished 22 yet so i'll have to find out after I finish the chapter.

As for Roy's strength, I had him cap'd at lvl. 20 and I might have gave him an item to increase his power so IDK.

I'm not sure. I haven't finished 22 yet so i'll have to find out after I finish the chapter.

As for Roy's strength, I had him cap'd at lvl. 20 and I might have gave him an item to increase his power so IDK.
Oh good lord. I might just be fraudulent at FE after not playing enough lately. I know it at least OHKOs certain less beefy units and mamkutes. Hopefully you did get it, you get the best dialogue and a happy ending from it, and a few more chapters to let Roy run loose.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Wow, I just remembered some time ago I found my red GBA SP in a random toy box... but I can't find the charger. :c Still, the nostalgia was real.

Fave female character: rule 63 Roy indeed. :troll: dammit I have some rule 63 artwork of Roy somewhere... brb going on a search

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see Roy with a long range special/side special to give him some range power.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
That's were decloning comes in to play. I really hope come Smash 5 YLink will get a shot to return because with the whole "Sakurai hates making cuts" thing taken in to consideration, he should have returned a long time ago.

I'm just glad to see Roy's finally coming back after a long time being cut from the roster. Hopefully he'll come back decloned and with his Awakening attire as it makes him look older and much more experienced compared to Melee Roy who was based on Roy when he was inexperienced.
Just wondering, isn't it more likely Roy will either still be a Marth clone or keep his melds moveset ( which is still pretty clone-like) than get a new moveset? I mean it's possible he could get a revamped moveset, but neither Lucas or Mewtwo did.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Just wondering, isn't it more likely Roy will either still be a Marth clone or keep his melds moveset ( which is still pretty clone-like) than get a new moveset? I mean it's possible he could get a revamped moveset, but neither Lucas or Mewtwo did.
Lucas and Mewtwo didn't need revamps due being quite unique on their own. We also have Lucina in the game that already is a clone of Marth in most blatant way possible, along with Roy being planned for Brawl which would have probably had changes done to him to make him more like Falco or Ganondorf in means of semi-cloning. Lastly fans would never stop complaining about Roy being "fiery marth" in a game "with 3 marths" for series' end to come. I'm still embracing for that if not for not getting Roy to be even confirmed, which is pretty downing, as him Roy being a semiclone would honestly make him grow out of his current overblown status of "mediocrity" in everything he's appearing in.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just finished FE6 and I finished at Ch. 22 meaning I didn't get the good ending. I'll do another playthrough with getting all the Gaiden chapters in mind so I can get the last 3 chapters.

Still, Roy was really beastly in the chapter. Thanks to the Hammerene, I was pretty much able to tear through everyone in the map.

Mewtwo and Lucas aren't good examples to use. One isn't a clone and one is barely a clone to the point where he's almost a unique character.

Roy is in a completely different boat then any of the clones given the circumstances of Lucina being in the game. Not only that but Sakurai would have to take notice or at least have in mind the potential outcry of having 2 clones of one character in the game.

All it really takes is changing most of his A attacks and giving him a new Side B (like a fire attack). All his other specials can stay like his Neutral, Up, and Down B as their pretty much completely unique from Marth and Lucina.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Lucas and Mewtwo didn't need revamps due being quite unique on their own. We also have Lucina in the game that already is a clone of Marth in most blatant way possible, along with Roy being planned for Brawl which would have probably had changes done to him to make him more like Falco or Ganondorf in means of semi-cloning. Lastly fans would never stop complaining about Roy being "fiery marth" in a game "with 3 marths" for series' end to come. I'm still embracing for that if not for not getting Roy to be even confirmed, which is pretty downing, as him Roy being a semiclone would honestly make him grow out of his current overblown status of "mediocrity" in everything he's appearing in.
This is all true. I too am hoping he's been Falco-fied so that complaints will go down as well. While I never used Roy before I'd be interested in playing him. Yeah it would be pretty bad to have a "third Marth." I hope you're right, because I can see them keeping him relatively the same.

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Just finished FE6 and I finished at Ch. 22 meaning I didn't get the good ending. I'll do another playthrough with getting all the Gaiden chapters in mind so I can get the last 3 chapters.

Still, Roy was really beastly in the chapter. Thanks to the Hammerene, I was pretty much able to tear through everyone in the map.

Mewtwo and Lucas aren't good examples to use. One isn't a clone and one is barely a clone to the point where he's almost a unique character.

Roy is in a completely different boat then any of the clones given the circumstances of Lucina being in the game. Not only that but Sakurai would have to take notice or at least have in mind the potential outcry of having 2 clones of one character in the game.

All it really takes is changing most of his A attacks and giving him a new Side B (like a fire attack). All his other specials can stay like his Neutral, Up, and Down B as their pretty much completely unique from Marth and Lucina.
Yes! New side B and A attacks but keep the rest the same! Just make his Up B a little better at recovering (since recoveries in general are buffed in this game).

Phew, on the second playthrough thing. I don't think anyone does truly experience FE6 without the Idoun ending. I'm glad you were able to tear through the game so well despite it being your second FE iirc. I had to restart my FE7 run at Chapter 24 my first time playing as my first FE in 2010 because I made so many poor decisions. But the second run was so much easier after.

How to get everything:

http://serenesforest.net/binding-blade/miscellaneous/gaiden-chapters/

http://serenesforest.net/binding-blade/characters/recruitment/

I like how his side-b stays but becomes a whole new deal with three maximum attacks per DED instead of four with unique animations, and how his ftilt is a flame projectile in Brawl Minus. I hope we get something like that.

I wouldn't mind DED replaced if it means decloning, but I'd hate to lose a name as badass as "Double-Edged Dance," and I can see how it can be decloned as a move. I hope we get some swing variations with flame projectiles, like the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th forward swing all being horizontal flame projectiles, each larger than the previous. Downwards swings can form walls of fire, while they keep the multi-hit stab at the end (it looked so much better and felt much more satisfying on Roy than Marth/Lucina) and beef it up. The fourth hit upwards can form a Palutena-esque vertical pillar of flame. All of these would have new animations except the multi-hit stab, btw. How do you feel about that? A variable projectile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom