• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Luigi Q&A Thread (CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD PLEASE)

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
How do you all choose your options to land while your opponent is beneath you?

As a Luigi main i dominate my ground game neutral (most of the time). The second i am put into the air, its hello 50% or more. I can't nair out of most U-airs, and airdodging just gets read a good amount of the time. What are you doing as Luigi mains to get to the ground safely?

Match-up examples: Zss, Shiek, Yoshi etc.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Hi Wee Gs. I've picked up the man for doubles since my brother mains Mario.

Have you guys gotten Jumpless Cyclone down to a science yet? What's the best way to do it on a GC controller that doesn't involve changing my control scheme?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
What are the optimal dthrow followups? ie. what is the maximum you can get guaranteed at various percentages?
I don't know the exact percentages but generally Dthrow -> Fair -> Uair generally works on most characters. Short hops boosts its accuracy for fast fallers.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Forgive me for not knowing if this was already a known thing, but I asked elsewhere and was said this works up until Super Jump Punch: https://youtu.be/dY7Mf2_AOYI. If this works on Falco, then is should work on Little Mac, Roy, and Mega Man as they share the same fall speed. Probably on Fox too. Could end up 50/50'ing people where if they miss a tech or don't jump, then it's a SJP punish, but if they do tech or jump, then it would be a follow up.

Aquatics

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aquapk
Forgive me for not knowing if this was already a known thing, but I asked elsewhere and was said this works up until Super Jump Punch: https://youtu.be/dY7Mf2_AOYI. If this works on Falco, then is should work on Little Mac, Roy, and Mega Man as they share the same fall speed. Probably on Fox too. Could end up 50/50'ing people where if they miss a tech or don't jump, then it's a SJP punish, but if they do tech or jump, then it would be a follow up.
NO DI. That is super hard to pull off, I like to ko with jab to up b, or down throw to down-b if they arent a fast faller like fox

Exegguter

Smash Lord
How do you handle projectile heavy characters? I'm having a very hard time against link and olimar for example, especially link... ;(

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
What moves are best to edgeguard characters with non-damaging recoveries (Olimar), and ones with damaging recoveries (Bowser)?

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
What moves are best to edgeguard characters with non-damaging recoveries (Olimar), and ones with damaging recoveries (Bowser)?
Cyclone is usually your best bet in almost any scenario. After getting a hit you want to mash B hard enough that they fall out of the cyclone, which semi-spikes them downwards and will usually screw over any character with a damaging recovery. Against characters with non-damaging recoveries cyclone usually isn't enough to gimp them, but forces them to come back up vertically to make it back to the ledge. You can use this opportunity to drop down from the ledge and dair to get the spike.

Against those with non-damaging recoveries you can also go for back air after dropping off the stage, but the timing is more strict.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
What are some new kill setups since the dthrow change?
Reading the oponent to use some sweet spot smash xP. Or a good bair/nair. For throws, the back is better to mid and heavy chars, and the up to chars like mewtwo, MRGW, jigglypuff etc.

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
What are the various dthrow combos at 0% now? I know on a lot of characters you can get dthrow to dsmash. Are any characters like Pikachu or Ness too light for that? If so, what's optimal?

Enjeru Karasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nothost
3DS FC
1993-9726-9368
VKatana said:
What are the various dthrow combos at 0% now? I know on a lot of characters you can get dthrow to dsmash. Are any characters like Pikachu or Ness too light for thwt? If so, what's optimal?
At early percents, you can always combo someone with something out of down throw. Really the only thing I can tell you is just to experiment in training mode. Pre patch I would have said look up down throw combos, but it's likely a guide for post patch isn't around yet. Boss pretty much invented a down throw to down air combo against fox pre patch, which was a combo I didn't even know existed. Really just play around with it in training mode.

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
What are the various dthrow combos at 0% now? I know on a lot of characters you can get dthrow to dsmash. Are any characters like Pikachu or Ness too light for that? If so, what's optimal?
On fastfallers you can do dthrow to upsmash or dsmash, turn around and regrab, then another dthrow upsmash. At 0% everybody should get hit by upsmash but if your opponent is exceptionally light or floaty almost any damage can knock them out of the % at which dthrow to upsmash works, so you might as well go for the prepatch dthrow to 2xfair or fair -> fastfall nair -> utilt and extend the combo.

Dthrow dsmash is only really advisable against fastfallers that you're certain you'll hit, like Fox or Capt Falcon. You certainly can't hit floaties like Luigi with it.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I don't know if this question can be answer here, but I'll say it.

If you Luigi mains have any good experience against Samus, not Zero suit Samus, please let me know. I faced a good really Samus player and I do not know what to do to get in on her. I tried my best to approach her, but I keep getting wall out by her aerials, z-air, missiles, and charge shots which made it hard for me to be alittle more aggressive against her. Her recovery options are not easy to gimp and I can't do the button mash tornado, so that's out of the question. Her down-b can be tricky to predict the landing. I know that she's floaty, but I don't see her being easy to jiggle because of it. That all I have because those are the parts that I struggle in the MU so if you have any good experience and useful, please let me know and I'll do my best to improve.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Well i have no idea about luigi, prepare to look at me like im a ******.

I find luigi hard to control, any tips on getting use to him?
I know all of his combos come out of his down-throw, what are the moves that combo out of it?
what are his main kill moves and kill setups?
does he play similar to any character? Like his brother, mayro?
*cough cough* mario i mean

Last edited:

Vhaltz

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this question can be answer here, but I'll say it.

If you Luigi mains have any good experience against Samus, not Zero suit Samus, please let me know. I faced a good really Samus player and I do not know what to do to get in on her. I tried my best to approach her, but I keep getting wall out by her aerials, z-air, missiles, and charge shots which made it hard for me to be alittle more aggressive against her. Her recovery options are not easy to gimp and I can't do the button mash tornado, so that's out of the question. Her down-b can be tricky to predict the landing. I know that she's floaty, but I don't see her being easy to jiggle because of it. That all I have because those are the parts that I struggle in the MU so if you have any good experience and useful, please let me know and I'll do my best to improve.
Luigi is just generally pretty easy to zone out and camp. There's a Samus in my local area that's pretty good with Samus, I haven't had a chance to play him too often so a lot of the stuff he does might be flowcharted and potentially surpassable, but I still feel pretty discouraged to play against a solid Samus with Luigi. I started putting some work into G&W and Mario recently and even if I can't do as well with them as I do with Luigi I'm much more likely to fare better.

Honestly the best way I've managed to deal with Samus when playing online is to throw her offstage with fthrow or backthrow and try to force her to recover low, then try to get a cyclone gimp after they double jump. This probably won't work against somebody who knows what they're doing though.

Well i have no idea about luigi, prepare to look at me like im a ******.

I find luigi hard to control, any tips on getting use to him?
I know all of his combos come out of his down-throw, what are the moves that combo out of it?
what are his main kill moves and kill setups?
does he play similar to any character? Like his brother, mayro?
*cough cough* mario i mean
Spotdodging or shielding to stop Luigi from sliding when dashing around is very important to avoid getting punished for committing to a dash. You can also jump out of dash and do a retreating fair, or turn around before jumping to backair.
His throw combos now depend on enemy fall speeds/weight but your best bet to always hit any character is to upsmash after downthrow, then downthrow to fair into fair/nair/dair after they've got around 20%+ on them.
Luigi's best kill setup is jab1 -> jab2 -> upB, but if people react in time or expect it they're able to shield, and you'll be eating a hard punish for missing the upB. Fireball locks after a missed tech are probably the best setup for upB, but the timing for fireball locks is very strict and hard to pull off on the fly unless you're setting up for them with forward throw. Soft nair (late hit) and Upair can also lead into cyclone at certain percents (very specific %s and only on certain characters for nair) and kill, but it's pretty hard to convert unless you're really good at mashing.
Your best bets to kill outside of setups are usually upsmash and back air, both of which will kill at around 120% for most characters. Downsmash is also really good if you can manage to get the back hit, and fsmash has amazing kill power but is generally harder to land. If the stocks drag out horribly and your opponent reaches 150+% a sweetspot neutral air can kill even from stage ground level.

Luigi usually plays rushdown to overwhelm opponents with very high damage and good frame data. The main difference with Mario is that he has almost no way to deal with good projectiles, which means you can't play rushdown against every character since some have tools that can easily shut down your approaches if you're reckless. After a while playing Luigi you'll eventually find out what characters you should go in for and which you should play against a lot more patiently looking for very specific openings or baiting them into creating one for you.

Last edited:

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the button presses needed for maximum rising with the cyclone in brawl compared to smash 4?

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the button presses needed for maximum rising with the cyclone in brawl compared to smash 4?
That will be the :GCB: button. Same as the Wii u pad, Wii u pro controller, or anything other controller.

Hurrican3

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crobat3Trainer
2 Questions: What is a good counter for Luigi against projectile characters? and what is the best way for me to get back into the neutral?

Jet3000

Smash Apprentice
Sup Luigi mains

I recently picked him up as a secondary 2 months ago an I need some MU advice against: Pac-Man. I would appreciate it.

EpicLuigiFan

Smash Cadet
Luigi is generally my favourite character to use now Hurrican3 Hurrican3 Luigi is generally a well rounded character, but for projectiles, he only has his fireball to get rid of them generally

Now as for neutral, I'd leave that for the pros or Luigi boards

Last edited:

Hurrican3

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crobat3Trainer
Luigi is generally my favourite character to use now Hurrican3 Hurrican3 Luigi is generally a well rounded character, but for projectiles, he only has his fireball to get rid of them generally

Now as for neutral, I'd leave that for the pros or Luigi boards
Sorry I meant what character should I use against projectile characters because Luigi just can't get enough pressure on them

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Practice and get into the habit of powershielding. You will never hear that enough if you intend to use luigi.

Powershielding allows you to deal with projectiles easier as you won't suffer from shield push and can act instantly after one, allowing you to gradually get closer to the opponent. In conjunction with being comfortable with your movement with luigi, dealing with approaching through projectiles becomes a lot easier to do.

Don't forget to be patient as well. If you let the projectiles frustrate you, you'll just keep getting hit instead of thinking of a plan to work around them.

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
What are luigi's weaknesses?
What are his landing options?
What moves does he use in neutral?
What range of footsies does he want to play in?

Mileo279

Smash Cadet
What are luigi's weaknesses?
What are his landing options?
What moves does he use in neutral?
What range of footsies does he want to play in?
Weaknesses gimpable recovery, low traction, now has a harder time killing but not as hard as other characters. None really Nair to stop I'm there trying to attack
Fireballs is good for nuteral, jab, and fair
You want to be close or mid range but manly close because when you get that grab its hard to get luigi off

Astrofallz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Astrofallz
3DS FC
4055-5220-2861
I haven't played Luigi in a ill bit but i want to ask y'all something.

When I was playing Luigi before this patch his foxtrot was really slow. You had to visibly see Luigi go back to neutral before you could input a dash or turnaround in the opposite direction. Now I can execute the foxtrot faster. I know it is not placebo because I no longer have to see Luigi return to neutral. Has anyone else noticed this? Or did I just suck before this patch and found the correct timing for a faster foxtrot?

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
Hello fellow weegees, North Louisiana Smash 4 PR Luigi main here, got a few questions. Do we have a discord? Where are most of the Luigi discussions? (Here, reddit, Twitter, discord?) and who are the Luigi Senpai other than Concon and Boss?

DJBor

Smash Journeyman
Someone told me to move Luigi from B- to S on my tier list.
My tier list has never used the "S" ranking.
Someone justify my placement plz?
(he's placed alongside Capt. Falcon, Donkey Kong, and Mega Man and a few others that I currently forget)

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

MikeMan214

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have been using weegee and ive honestly feel like im getting better with him using him for the past month but ive been feeling lately that ive been just hitting a plateau and havent been getting any better at all. And im not entirely sure why so i have some questions to ask.

What would a top level weegee main or just any weegee main say is luigis playstyle based around on? (i know that he is a very grab heavy character but more detail).

How should a weegee play in the nuetral?

Also what generally does luigi have to do in the corrin mu and yoshi mu because they have been mus ive been losing too alot.

What will benefit a weegee main greatly?

doritos29

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone. I have been using weegee and ive honestly feel like im getting better with him using him for the past month but ive been feeling lately that ive been just hitting a plateau and havent been getting any better at all. And im not entirely sure why so i have some questions to ask.

What would a top level weegee main or just any weegee main say is luigis playstyle based around on? (i know that he is a very grab heavy character but more detail).

How should a weegee play in the nuetral?

Also what generally does luigi have to do in the corrin mu and yoshi mu because they have been mus ive been losing too alot.

What will benefit a weegee main greatly?
The best way to play Luigi is to bait out your opponent's option and punish them. You might have to perfect shield certain moves to punish them because the shield pushback is too much otherwise, so learning how to perfect shield is really useful. If you notice that the opponent frequently does the same option, bait that option out and punish accordingly. For example, if they keep jumping, you can up smash to catch the jump.

Top Bottom