• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Low Tier....

Status
Not open for further replies.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
That's true. Make a character too good and the tourneys will be flooded with him, especially if the character is an iconic one from a well-known, generation spanning franchise.

In fact, there is a theory that the REASON well-known, awesome characters are nerfed is to balance player appeal. Link has high built-in appeal, so to try and make sure the lesser-known characters are used in CASUAL play they make sure he is not totally freakin awesome. Of course, this is just a shared thought between some people and isn't really based in any evidence; however, it does make sense (again, from a casual gaming standpoint, which many would argue the developers are much more interested in).

I think a mid-tier Link will allow for the chance that we'll see him at grand finals (Isai took Link to grand finals in SSB64 one year), without making him an obvious and therefore a boring choice. Just my opinion, though.
I honestly would have to find a different main for ssb4 if link turned out to be high tier, I am a man of the middle tier

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I'm too addicted using Link...even if he sucks (again) I'm cool still using him.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I honestly would have to find a different main for ssb4 if link turned out to be high tier, I am a man of the middle tier
I'm too addicted using Link...even if he sucks (again) I'm cool still using him.
I'll end up maining Link no matter what; I would just get tired of saying "Yeah well I mained him before he was good" in a snobby hipster voice if he does turn out high tier. If he's mid tier then I guess I'll actually have to get some hard skill because I won't have the built in excuse of him being so bad. Then again, maybe I won't need it.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I'll end up maining Link no matter what; I would just get tired of saying "Yeah well I mained him before he was good" in a snobby hipster voice if he does turn out high tier. If he's mid tier then I guess I'll actually have to get some hard skill because I won't have the built in excuse of him being so bad. Then again, maybe I won't need it.
Yeah I'm kind of stubborn. I didn't try to learn anyone but link for a long time. Just such a fun character that means a lot to me. Recently I've been playing some other characters but I will always main link.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I hear ya. The only other character I main is Ganon, and I only got into him late last year because it seemed his playstyle required just as many tricks as Link's and the win is just as impressive. All in all though i think it comes down to the fact that I only feel I can genuinely represent myself using these characters. I think expression is more important than winning.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I have a feeling Link won't be low tier again from what we've seen. His tether recovery is significantly better, and I love his new dash.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I just hope he stays this way. He looks like a rather mobile character this time. I wonder how many changes Toon Link will undergo, and if Sakurai will try to diverge the two of them more this time. They did have different play-styles in Brawl mind you, but it'd be neat to see Link and Toon Link be even more diverse and unique from one-another.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I just hope he stays this way. He looks like a rather mobile character this time. I wonder how many changes Toon Link will undergo, and if Sakurai will try to diverge the two of them more this time. They did have different play-styles in Brawl mind you, but it'd be neat to see Link and Toon Link be even more diverse and unique from one-another.
Just noticed regular Adult Link has more changes done to him this time around, moreso than Toon Link (who's looking to be exactly as he was during Brawl) as long as 1 of them gets changed it's a fine bonus was hoping it was going to be Toon Link that would get the changes (so that he wouldn't be too much of a clone to Adult Link), but it was Adult Link instead who got some decent changes, the 1 move that would really set these 2 apart is their final smashes, Toon Link's better have something to do with that Windwaker item and not a cloned version of the Triforce Slash (which is already confirmed to be Adult Link's final smash), if it is the Triforce Slash again then that proves that Sakurai is lazy and loves the idea of having 2 characters share the same final smash (Zelda's staying the same was true to her character, but Sheik should have gotten a whole new final smash, since she and Zelda are no longer together).

Last edited:

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Just noticed regular Adult Link has more changes done to him this time around, moreso than Toon Link (who's looking to be exactly as he was during Brawl) as long as 1 of them gets changed it's a fine bonus was hoping it was going to be Toon Link that would get the changes (so that he wouldn't be too much of a clone to Adult Link), but it was Adult Link instead who got some decent changes, the 1 move that would really set these 2 apart is their final smashes, Toon Link's better have something to do with that Windwaker item and not a cloned version of the Triforce Slash (which is already confirmed to be Adult Link's final smash), if it is the Triforce Slash again then that proves that Sakurai is lazy and loves the idea of having 2 characters share the same final smash (Zelda's staying the same was true to her character, but Sheik should have gotten a whole new final smash, since she and Zelda are no longer together).
Toon link was good already. When something is good as it is, dont need much of a change. :)
Im going to use it too. He was my secret weapon in brawl, but adult link was always my main(and always will).

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Toon link was good already. When something is good as it is, dont need much of a change. :)
Im going to use it too. He was my secret weapon in brawl, but adult link was always my main(and always will).
Toon Link is a fun character to use, but I have a really bad habit of SDing when using his down air attack when I'm off the stage (I hope Adult Link doesn't do the same thing with his down air attack).

thelastreplicant

Smash Cadet
NNID
thelastreplicant
3DS FC
3480-2884-6458
After years of Link being awful I am ready to embrace our new, potentially high/mid tier overlord. I am loving the changes they've made to him so far in smash 4, especially that new dash attack! It'll be annoying at first if everyone picks up Link but like Naroghin said, we mained Link before it was cool.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
He doesn't use it, at last in the demo.
True to that.

And just checked on the SmashWiki site, Toon Link's final smash is still the Triforce Slash, making him once again a semi-direct clone of Adult Link (unless Toon Link gets the exact same changes in all of his regular attacks just like Adult Link).

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Fox got hit with nerfs two games in row...Has anyone looked or been top or high tier 3 games in a row?No right?(Counting Sm4sh just based on what we seen).

EDIT:I think pikachu has been high tier in all three games

Last edited:

thelastreplicant

Smash Cadet
NNID
thelastreplicant
3DS FC
3480-2884-6458
Going over the fox threads it seems your right. It's about time fox got a taste of the mid tier. Shine sounds like it's an absolute joke now.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
So apparently the unthinkable is happening, to where Fox is getting nerfed down, and Link is getting supreme buffs up.
I just wonder what the rest of Link's 12 Special moves there are, because they could be game changers.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Recovery still bad. However, his fsmash and Fair are faster, as well as his movement in general. His jump speed is faster too. I did play link personally. Bombs have decreased knockback. But to compensate, his smash attacks have been made incredibly strong. Links boomerang is the same. Overall, his power will help him but his recovery will hold him back, once again. Boomerang is the same. Dash attack is not a running downward slash that can kill at high percents.

Ive mained link 4ever! Played every LoZ game and Loved it! And mained link in every smash game even Soul calibur 2. He is just so fun to use! And i was very good using him. I was ranked 1 of the top Link players in Allisbrawl.com. He is just too cool and way too fun! Im a link mainer to the end!

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I really hope that both Link and Zelda make it out of Low Tier. They need to be buffed.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I think link should only be bumped up to the lower end of the middle tier, his personality has always been that of one who succeeds if used with great skill and hard work, but fails if one lacks diligence
Which tends to be true about his non-smash games as well (the more difficult ones, especially... I'm looking at you, Adventure of Link!).

I agree. I still want to be able to work hard for my victories and make it look good.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
We are link mainers to the end! And don't give a dam what people say and what they think of link and the Tier list. We make Link look top tier. And we are just too good. xD And we will always main him. Really I make him look top tier.

BrosUnited

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BrosUnited
We are link mainers to the end! And don't give a dam what people say and what they think of link and the Tier list. We make Link look top tier. And we are just too good. xD And we will always main him. Really I make him look top tier.
Haha, yeah! I remember playing against you in brawl, good times.

- Ace

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Fox got hit with nerfs two games in row...Has anyone looked or been top or high tier 3 games in a row?No right?(Counting Sm4sh just based on what we seen).

EDIT:I think pikachu has been high tier in all three games
Er...I know this is late, but Pikachu has been high tier in the original smash. Then the poor guy got hit with the nerf hammer pretty hard, so he was low to mid-tier in Melee. Then he got buffed in Brawl, so he's around middle to high-ish tier at the moment.

I could be completely wrong, but...you know. Just adding my two cents.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Recovery still bad. However, his fsmash and Fair are faster, as well as his movement in general. His jump speed is faster too. I did play link personally. Bombs have decreased knockback. But to compensate, his smash attacks have been made incredibly strong. Links boomerang is the same. Overall, his power will help him but his recovery will hold him back, once again. Boomerang is the same. Dash attack is not a running downward slash that can kill at high percents.

Ive mained link 4ever! Played every LoZ game and Loved it! And mained link in every smash game even Soul calibur 2. He is just so fun to use! And i was very good using him. I was ranked 1 of the top Link players in Allisbrawl.com. He is just too cool and way too fun! Im a link mainer to the end!
I disagree with you on that. Link's recovery has definitely been buffed, whether or not you know it. His recovery with his Clawshot has been immensely buffed, along with his Spin attack being buffed as well. Seeing as his recovery looks like it acts like Melee's, I'm not sure your comment stands up.

Also, his dash attack does seem to have a lot of knockback. And we've all known it's not the same one it has originally been.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
I disagree with you on that. Link's recovery has definitely been buffed, whether or not you know it. His recovery with his Clawshot has been immensely buffed, along with his Spin attack being buffed as well. Seeing as his recovery looks like it acts like Melee's, I'm not sure your comment stands up.

Also, his dash attack does seem to have a lot of knockback. And we've all known it's not the same one it has originally been.
Yeah notice that. His recovery is way better than brawl. 3x better.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I can't attest to whether or not the "brawl floaty-ness" of the UpB has been removed, but every recording of Link gameplay I've seen certainly shows a stronger vertical trajectory. Between the new clawshot and UpB it looks like Link has both a stronger horizontal and vertical recovery, giving him more options and a stronger recovery overall.

I'm most interested to see what kind of reel-in mechanics are given to the clawshot, though. With such a long range it would be useful to be able to attach, reel, jump-detach, then reattach and snap-to the ledge depending on how your opponent is edge guarding. If this does work then I certainly hope the air dodge is still able to be zair-interrupted at any point, so one can incorporate this at the detach moment.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I actually kind of want Link back in the low tier. It feels good to win against a high tier character with a character like Link, but if he becomes high tier, that satisfaction will be gone. I'm going to main him either way, but if he's high tier I won't be AS proud of maining him.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
I actually kind of want Link back in the low tier. It feels good to win against a high tier character with a character like Link, but if he becomes high tier, that satisfaction will be gone. I'm going to main him either way, but if he's high tier I won't be AS proud of maining him.
Yeah I feel you man! Ive played some great MK mains and beat a alot of them and i was proud to beat MK!

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
If they're butthurt about losing to a decent player, no matter the character, then they aren't worth worrying about in the first place. It shouldn't matter if it's Link, Gannondorf, Zelda or Hitler Mii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom