• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Low Tier....

Status
Not open for further replies.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I'd love for Link to come back and not suck.

In SSB64, at least he hit like a truck. I remember how badly he was nerfed in melee, ugg...
In the N64 he sucked(too much lag and he can easily be gimped due to his lame recovery). In Melee he was fast and his moves were powered up, also had better recovery.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I haven't anything that makes me feel Link is in a better position than the last game. This is troubling.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
In the N64 he sucked(too much lag and he can easily be gimped due to his lame recovery). In Melee he was fast and his moves were powered up, also had better recovery.
I thought Link in SSB64 played a lot like LM is supposed to play in 4: your main goal is not getting knocked off the stage because your recovery sucked.

And I primarily hated Link's "two-part" f-smash in melee...

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I haven't anything that makes me feel Link is in a better position than the last game. This is troubling.
I agree. Although we have seen minor changes to his move set we won't really know until we get a better look at Link/get to play the game. :/

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Just thought about Link a bit, and I don't really expect him to be significantly better this game. A lot of the veterans seen so far have had moveset changes or other changes to make them better: ZSS supposedly has more power now, Bowser is faster overall, Diddy got a range increase, Pit got a complete overhaul, etc. But Link is practically the same Link. A new dash-attack can only get you so far.

But of course, new moves are not the only way to buff a character. The new physics and hitstun can indirectly benefit Link (or make him worse, we'll know at release), and changing the properties on some of his moves will help. His up-B going higher, 'rang having more knockback, dair meteoring at the tip, it's changes like these that will probably make him a lot better. Now, how much better remains to be seen.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It seems they were teasing things to come in regards to changes to Link in the Direct. His Dash Attack is different, he has better recovery and he has a slight change to his Up Aerial. I don't think those will be the only changes.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Welp, it looks like we'll have more time worrying about what's happening on-stage now, with the new tether mechanic and presumably longer range.

Dott

Smash Ace
Welp, it looks like we'll have more time worrying about what's happening on-stage now, with the new tether mechanic and presumably longer range.
If his backflip has more frames of invincibility it could help a lot. But hey, they gave Link a GOOD RECOVERY, GOD EXISTS.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm thinking mid tier or so this time around. We've seen some big buffs, most notably his new and improved crazy long tether. A recovery buff was severely needed. Also, Sakurai said that Dair is now a meteor smash, which is really cool too. He did say it would be removed if it turns out to be too powerful, though.

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Apr-29-2014.jpg

This might just make Link suck a little less. Still, he's probably still going to be one of my mains as always. No matter how bad he might be, he's just too fun to use.

Dott

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'm thinking mid tier or so this time around. We've seen some big buffs, most notably his new and improved crazy long tether. A recovery buff was severely needed. Also, Sakurai said that Dair is now a meteor smash, which is really cool too. He did say it would be removed if it turns out to be too powerful, though.
I that Dair stays, this is just too good.

I mean, look at that, it's just too beautiful.

Link’s downward strike was designed to change to a Meteor Smash when the tip of the sword is aligned just right at the start. However, it will be removed if it’s deemed too powerful overall after some multiplayer play tests.
And that just scares me too much...

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I actually think the dair spike will only help him in one situation, when he triumps an edge from someone, but we still don't know how that works in motion since we have no source to test/see it. Otherwise, it wouldn't be that great because as history shows throwing out a dair off-stage is a VERY BAD MOVE.

At the moment, he's looking low tier to me, but not the rock bottom that he was in brawl. The changes we've seen in his recovery plus the new ledge mechanics have helped him out. Now if he just gets bomb jumping back, some better kill move setups, buffs to his projectile game, and NTSC Melee ground up-b knockback I think he can rise to mid or higher mid.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't really play 1 v 1, no items, neutral stages only (in anything other than Project M). So Link isn't really low-tier for me. In the competitive scene, it looks like his recovery is FAR better, so I assume that he is going to be low-mid at worst.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
He's probably gonna be a low tier again. He has been in the past Smash games, so I won't be surprised if he still is. Even if he is low tier, I'm still gonna main him like I did in the other games. That Clawshot range though... Wow he does seem a bit buffed ._. .

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
I don't think i like him to be high tier... Maybe mid tier though. His charm always was that he is a low tier that can defeat high tiers(aniki vs ken or deva vs m2k)

xJcLx

Drummer to "Oath To Order" Band
NNID
AvengedxJcLx
I don't think i like him to be high tier... Maybe mid tier though. His charm always was that he is a low tier that can defeat high tiers(aniki vs ken or deva vs m2k)
Same Here, I wouldn't want him in High Tier. Maybe High-Mid tier for me personally. Atleast not too bad like in Brawl but good enough to where If you play and train with him long enough, You can dish out other good players. Basically like PM's Link.

Dott

Smash Ace
Same Here, I wouldn't want him in High Tier. Maybe High-Mid tier for me personally. Atleast not too bad like in Brawl but good enough to where If you play and train with him long enough, You can dish out other good players. Basically like PM's Link.
But he is a high tier in PM.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
who cares about tier lists zelda may have been low on it but i still was still good with her i was beating people who picked people high characters on them to

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Yeah! He get some real buff this time... I hope that in the practice he be a good character too.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Judging by what footage I've seen thus far, it seems that his recovery issue has been addressed. He seems to jump higher, and his upB covers more ground. His projectiles come out faster, his grapple extends longer and the overly high ceilings in the demo give his weight class an advantage, should they stay that high in the final game.

Overall, I'd say he's mid-tier at this point, even though that's a baseless assumption that means nothing. I just feel like he got nothing but buffs from his Brawl variation, which is nice.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I honestly think that Link will be mid-tier. He won't be high in the mid-tier range, but he won't be at the bottom.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
He's looking like a solid contestant for mid. His recovery options are more viable and he even has more kill moves compared to past games.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I think he'll be mid tier this time. His new tether connects from quite a distance away now, he now has some killing moves that aren't as easy to predict and come out quicker, and his Recovery seems to make him jump higher, similar to how Toon Link's does.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
He's low.

He was never really versatile just, projectile using. If you look at his moves at the E3 tournament. He takes out his bombs, and boomerang maybe slower than in Brawl, and he throws his bombs with such bad range and speed, it's embarrassing.

But after watching the amiibos, Link seems extremely fast, and if he has a decent jump, he'll easily make mid, neglect the tools.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule Tier 4Eva...? I heard his kill moves like Up and Fsmash are all actually reliable this time. Also saw upB being garbage killmove T_T.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I certainly hope not :(
as if Sakurai having some vendetta against the zelda characters...
Even if he is I'll still win with him,
and when you beat someone with Link there's that added aww of repsect of your skills and humilation on their part of also losing to Link

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Hyrule Tier 4Eva...? I heard his kill moves like Up and Fsmash are all actually reliable this time. Also saw upB being garbage killmove T_T.
In the Brawl Link forum (Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen and Laugh Lounge) a few of the players who got to try out the game are stating that Link feels quicker, has gotten a buff to his rolls, and his DSmash's knockback is horizontal. These among other things (one of the players left a pretty detailed post) have me looking up regarding his viability as a serious tournament character, but I think it's still too early to tell.

If he maintains his camping ability then I would say he could be low-mid tier, depending how other characters stack up (if everyone gets a buff then no one gets a buff). Without his varied projectile/spacing game he'll become a less diverse character and therefore a worse one. In brawl his projectiles were mandatory for success, while for SSB4 I'm hoping they will just be...useful.

EDIT:
ZaneThePure said:
Ok, Played 5 rounds of the game, won every match, and I loved every second.
First of all, Link's Up-b recovery no longer has that weird deadzone of momentum (more melee like)
As mentioned Z-air Auto cancels still.
I got some time to work some ATs and most of em still work:
OoS Up-smash works.
ZAC aerials work nicely.
ledge tricks like zedge and multi chain still work.
gale gimps still happen (if done precisely).
I swear I bombslid like 3 times.
Jab cancels are better than ever.
Bomb to footstool D-air is still totally a thing.
Gale induced 2-hit f-smash works, and the new horizontal trajectory on D-smash back hit makes it really nasty off gale tricks.
I had a hard time seeing it, but I could swear the BDACUS worked out of spotdodge. Couldn't land DACUS but maybe I failed it on the Pro controller...

Link jumps a bit higher, recovers a bit better, his rolls are great (especially backroll), spotdodge is still good, Dash attack is stronger but slower (seems like he dodges low hits on jump though >:D) and it seems like there is increased hitstun and led me to some nice hit-confirms. The trajectories on his throws are more useful, didn't really get a feel for whether it's faster or not. Increased tether length is GORGEOUS, and Link seems to hit harder overall.

I really hope the Fire Emblem stage for Wii u is counterpick legal, cuz I freakin love that stage. Link wasn't in the 3DS demo I played, so I got 2 rounds in with Marth instead. Marth still feels incredibly solid and I believe he's no worse off than in brawl. He's a tad stronger overall, and recovers a little farther, but I felt like his range shortened.(probably cuz I played Melee the day before...)
And the graphics/music/presentation was all wonderful for both versions. If nothing else the game will be a joy to play casually at the very least.

Last edited:

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
I certainly hope not :(
as if Sakurai having some vendetta against the zelda characters...
Even if he is I'll still win with him,
and when you beat someone with Link there's that added aww of repsect of your skills and humilation on their part of also losing to Link
Im good in mid tier. Dont want more than that. xD

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
But why not? It would be awesome seeing a Link in Grand Finals. That's only possible if he's high tier like Project M.
Link players are known for try harder with link than other players, to make him good and get the best of the matches even if he is low tier... If link make it to mid tier, we definitely going to see him in grand finals. Because that hard link players are! Im not saying other players are bad though, remember the tier list does not predict 100% of the matches.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
That's true. Make a character too good and the tourneys will be flooded with him, especially if the character is an iconic one from a well-known, generation spanning franchise.

In fact, there is a theory that the REASON well-known, awesome characters are nerfed is to balance player appeal. Link has high built-in appeal, so to try and make sure the lesser-known characters are used in CASUAL play they make sure he is not totally freakin awesome. Of course, this is just a shared thought between some people and isn't really based in any evidence; however, it does make sense (again, from a casual gaming standpoint, which many would argue the developers are much more interested in).

I think a mid-tier Link will allow for the chance that we'll see him at grand finals (Isai took Link to grand finals in SSB64 one year), without making him an obvious and therefore a boring choice. Just my opinion, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom