• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Sudai

Stuff here
Team Lean Green Dr. Robotnik Mean Bean Machine IV has to be the most random name, but I like White Guys in Black.

I've moved up in rank since the last tournie~ You guys better watch out! Soon there;s gonna be a new guy competeing for that 9th place slot!!!!!

Edit: We have the biggest thread in the Atlantic south!!!! XD

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
Ricky and Johnwu won first in the teams but it wasn't a winners take all.
Me and Cyphus got 7$ a piece and Johnwu and Ricky got 16$ a piece but i wasn't really doing the math i mean i beat taylor so that's all that matters.
Did i mention that i beat everybody else as well.
Anyways. Good tournament.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
OK im about to let everyone into my smash mindset (i didnt even understand it till i really thought about it)

"its all a prediction and a sense and nuthing like productively doing anything, so i just sit back and let things happen cuz i look at things to big just like its a game and i control it by the things i dont do"

like thats alot how i play smash i just let things happen so its like what i dont do in a match is just as important as what i do do

heh i like to control things without doing anything and it works just like in poker the chips just seem to come to me without me doing anything, i can unconsiously control a situation

i think its funny how people like to control the match in smash and i can just let them and still win because i pick up the deeper things in the fight

and when i do play aggresive in a match people dont like it cuz im not suppose to beacuse i know to much of the defensive side of the match, so i like blend that when i play mario

so in actuallity its like im you fighting me while im fighting u

now most of the time one thing or another goes wrong and i completley dont know what to do but when im in the zone and playing right this is my mindset and oneday i will get to the point where i can always play like this knowing i have nuthing to fear from my opponent and the fear comes from lack of experince and the tough task for me to exucute what i want to do based on the endless amount of situations that can occur

as far as other smashers in la i think john is extremely good at reading people and reacting maybe even better than me(it is easyer with marth though) as well as cyphus, he sees the opponent and forces them into situations. As far as my crew i think theyve all gotten alot better playing against me in seeing the subtle details in a match, taylor can be aggresive but still see things where in the past his aggresive nature might have hurt him, tim is finnally starting to add on some mind games to his extremely technical game (from playing me over and over again) and ett hhmmm i dunno i think he like sees the the game on a different level than i can even pick up sometimes (i think it comes from his anemia or w/e :laugh: ;) )

as for ricky i think he fell into the same rut i did where i only knew how to fight people i knew and when it came to the tourny i didnt know what to do, but i think were finding our selves as smashers and not being defined by the people we play
i dont know what lee does but he just like ***** everyone and if i could train flarefox i could easily make him the best smasher in la

I think most top pros have a sense for this the best being players like chu dat and pc chris

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
Tourny was fun. Finally got to meet cyphus and a few others such as taylor (my team partener who loves rockets =D), lee, eet, etc....

I still think the funniest thing about it was when I super waved dashed across the screen and hearing about 5 people be like OMG WTF??

Then the one guy i SWD kick to face off screen was like holy S! wow!

Lol anyway was fun tourny congrats to lee.

Congrats to my fellow N.O. members ricky and jon.

So whens the next! =D

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
man..lee was so freakin' happy that he won. He said he went into the tourney not expecting to win and just figuring he'd do good. That was the same thing i had going for me the last tourney, too, and prolly the best mindset really.
but as far as this toureny is concerned, he's now the best smasher in LA, until further notice. He 2-0ed Taylor, he 2-0ed Eet, he 2-0ed Ricky, and he 2-1ed me....and after losing a 1-2 set w/ john, he came back to 2-1 him once...and then 2-1ed him again winning the tourney.

if anyone didn't notice...lee's game was pretty **** simple. Shield grabbing to combos. and jump F.air the oponent before their aerial attack could come out. And defensive play with needles.
proud to see it work, even against me.

I lost 1-2 vs. Taylor and Lee. I think the luck of the 1st random level was just against me. I got 1 stocked vs. Tayor's marth on Yoshi, picked my level and 2 stocked him...then he chose to fight on Yoshi again...and i got 1 stocked again.
DoubleBlind picked w/ Lee: falco vs. Sheik..and we got FoD, which is in sheik's favor so i got 1 stocked, then on i picked i 1 stocked him, then he chose Dreamland 64..i picked falco..so he picked Jigs and i think i got 3 stocked. he just upthrow + rested me 3x.

So like...iunno...i got 4th, so i can't complain. but i'll just say i've had more respectable losses than upthrow + rest and marth on yoshi's story.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
EET (fatman), I like how you mentioned yourself as being 6th. I'm not saying any of the other 9th people could've beaten you, but I don't think rankings even matter after 5th, to me they don't matter after 2nd, but that's just me. I heart Melee, Taylor is my hero, and I'm not sure but I think Luigi was voted Time Magazine's Sexiest Man in the World.

Icecow

Smash Rookie
iceman48 said:
EET (fatman), I like how you mentioned yourself as being 6th. I'm not saying any of the other 9th people could've beaten you, but I don't think rankings even matter after 5th, to me they don't matter after 2nd, but that's just me. I heart Melee, Taylor is my hero, and I'm not sure but I think Luigi was voted Time Magazine's Sexiest Man in the World.
The rankings don't matter after 1st. The only other ranking I would be interested in is eet's, but that's because he's just that awesome. Taylor is your hero? IMO Taylor is the biggest villain that we have ;) he's just so darn evil...

Icecow

Smash Rookie
sHy)(gUy said:
i dont know what lee does but he just like ***** everyone and if i could train flarefox i could easily make him the best smasher in la
ya but you fail to see the light shyg...i control the future of la smash lol. you'll see. these days ffox seems to struggle quite a bit against the D$ fox. btw i want to mm you at the next tourney :) i'll let you decide how much, but no more than $20 and if you wanna play me for $20 you play best of 7, k? that way if u win u get more money to play poker cuz i know poker's really fun.

Icecow

Smash Rookie
anyone who wants to mm me at the next tourney tell me so i can get enough $$$ to mm.
shyg will get swept lol ;)

-bermuda

geez we need more rivalries in la. Taylor vs. himself is getting kinda boring...

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
Cyphus said:
man..lee was so freakin' happy that he won. He said he went into the tourney not expecting to win and just figuring he'd do good. That was the same thing i had going for me the last tourney, too, and prolly the best mindset really.
but as far as this toureny is concerned, he's now the best smasher in LA, until further notice. He 2-0ed Taylor, he 2-0ed Eet, he 2-0ed Ricky, and he 2-1ed me....and after losing a 1-2 set w/ john, he came back to 2-1 him once...and then 2-1ed him again winning the tourney.

if anyone didn't notice...lee's game was pretty **** simple. Shield grabbing to combos. and jump F.air the oponent before their aerial attack could come out. And defensive play with needles.
proud to see it work, even against me.

I lost 1-2 vs. Taylor and Lee. I think the luck of the 1st random level was just against me. I got 1 stocked vs. Tayor's marth on Yoshi, picked my level and 2 stocked him...then he chose to fight on Yoshi again...and i got 1 stocked again.
DoubleBlind picked w/ Lee: falco vs. Sheik..and we got FoD, which is in sheik's favor so i got 1 stocked, then on i picked i 1 stocked him, then he chose Dreamland 64..i picked falco..so he picked Jigs and i think i got 3 stocked. he just upthrow + rested me 3x.

So like...iunno...i got 4th, so i can't complain. but i'll just say i've had more respectable losses than upthrow + rest and marth on yoshi's story.
u left out when lee 2-0ed you in the rr like everyone else.
i only got to play lee once, not twice so it cant rly compare
u say you cant complain but thats all im hearin

and the rivalry is more me vs all of houma

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
well..people can at least choose to ignore me complaining here, rather than say...somebody bein' an assmonkey throughout the tourney. I know even you, would have to admit me, lee, john, and ricky were on good behavior. I'm pretty sure u were the only one bashin, sport.

and ur right, lee did 2-0 me in RR, but that was after i found out..it didn't matter wether i won or not..because he already had enough points, and i just played stupid, cuz it made no difference. But i shouldn't of given up so easily though. Me 2-0ing lee just won't happen, due to the nature of us counterpicking and knowing each others weaknesses. I'm glad though he can acknowledge i was just playing carelessly against him, and proud that he won the tournament.

oh yea..so are we still going to SA7?..isn't that like in 2 weeks?

shyguy. on the topic of mindgames, it got me interested in thinking about it.
The way it sounds, you're implying u just lack technical skill and confidence to perform these impressive mindgames, something perhaps flarefox, you're comparing, has in opposite.
Whose to say, we too dont possess those mindgames as well...but also don't have the neccessary level of control to implement them? heck, if i had perfect execution of everything i wanted to do in battle, i'd suspect i'd crush everyone, but that just isn't the case...w/out execution its just our playstyles and ability to adapt that matters.
Playstyle break down, IMO 'course.

Lee
I'd say Lee's mind set specializes in more of less, a safe mid distance game and alteration between patience and secure offenses. Not much of a risk-taker, he prefers to keep his defensives and offenses simple and rely only on the basic foundations of the game. Though the fundamentals can't hurt his playstyle, he lacks advanced technical control and ability to be flashy. He manner of movement is only what is neccessary. If technical-overwhelmence can't suffice, out-mindgaming him is the only real option.

Cyphus
My game mostly revolves around dancing alot with feints and then trying to overwhelm the oponent with offensive pressure when they're not expecting it. My ideal situation is to take advantage of a random opportunities and throw them off guard. Oponents who try too hard on capitalizing on patterns will most likely jump in only to be thrown out. But keen players can find situational holes and be careful enough to exploit my impatience, which is benfefited and hurt with flashyness and risk.

JohnWu
John's game is a solid defense concentrating on safety and obvervation. Instead of concentrating on combos, he waits and looks out for oponent weaknesses such as missing a tech or teching improperly due to a cut-short combo. He is good at slowly back oponents into corners. For what he does, his safety is tops and playstyle frustrating to go against. His game is weakened by patience though, if the oponent can force him to be offensive and bait him into using laggier moves.

Taylor
His game's strat is don't give you're oponent room to breathe. Ideal situation for him, is that the oponent turles and eventually tries to retreat such as rolling, where he can continue to capitalize on their panic. Unready DI will lead to ugly combos as well. His confidence is in his technical efficiency for secure offenses but if the oponent modifies his spacing, the windows in between his attacks are taken advantage and throw off his groove since a precise defense is absent from his game.

Eet
His classic style of play is a solid state of awesomeness. If being awesome isn't enough(which it always is, anyway), he'll alter his playing into more awesomeness to offset the oponent's grasp of what awesomeness really is. And the first level of awesomeness is usually his safe bet at giving them a false sense of security, which actually is impossible, because it was too awesome in the first place.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
You forgot to say that EET (fatman) is awesome. I would hate for anyone to forget that he's awesome. Luigi *****.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
IM saying yall do possess those mindgames thats what makes yall the best in the state, i was just trying to break down they way i played and what i saw in other players

As for ffox i think he has the best technical skill and probly any of the top players could make him better.

Icecow u really wanna do a MM? Ok 20 $ best of 7.......good luck (u play sheik right?)

SirSka

Smash Cadet
Well I don't feel horrible about this tourny. I did utilt with Ganon, that made for that loss against Vaughn . Not to mention I got crew put together at the tourny. Now we just need to practice together.

partnerofLuigi

Smash Cadet
Hey LA we're struggling to start our own lil Tourny and you're more then welcomed to come, also Housing is not a problem finding enought ppl to participate is, anyway I have to get back to work trying to spread the word is tuff when there are'nt that many smashers in the area that's on the boards.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Where's it gonna be, when's it gonna be, how many people will be there, will it cost anything, who are you, and why is Luigi so awesome? I'll go ahead and answer the last question: it's because he's a rapist.
And for anyone that reads this, I started a Louisiana finder and would like some replies cause right now it's about as useless as a nipple on a bull. Oh yeah, and Louisiana is awesome.

RAM

Smash Lord
if it happens about 3 weeks after smash aid 7 and 5 or 10 bucks depending on how many ppl enter and Luigi is so awesome because he's a pimp and pimps are of the upmost Coolest ppl in the world

Sudai

Stuff here
Ska, my friend that plays Samus said he'd want to join too and just play if we needed an extra person for no reason! or just come for moral support.

Icecow

Smash Rookie
sHy)(gUy said:
Icecow u really wanna do a MM? Ok 20 $ best of 7.......good luck (u play sheik right?)
this will be the most interesting MM in the history of la smash I believe since we have never actually played each other in a tourney or even in friendlies.

as for me, i play fox sheik and doc. actually i've only been playing doc for about 3 weeks. my fox is by far the most underrated in the state--when i keep my head in the game i can beat anyone. and i keep getting better. my sheik is pretty good too especially in big games. my sheik was 5-2 at cs2 even with a bit of rust. and you want a MM, so i'll make sure both fox and sheik are ready--but of course the person who makes the fewest mistakes will win the series. i don't like the idea of 2/3 MMs. 4/7 takes longer to complete, but i believe in the end, you can learn a lot even in a loss.

usually when i practice with ffox i come out and see what i can do in the first 4 or 5 games because i don't feel like keeping my intensity up for hours at a time when it is just practice. and then i learn a lot afterwards because ffox is one of the most knowledgeable players in all of la.

anyway, now that u accepted my offer i will get my chars ready. u do that too. who do you play as? if i recall u play doc or something like that, but i could be mistaken.

--bermuda

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Well I didn't get to make it to the tourney and I'm back in Jacksonville now so I won't be at any other ones, but I want to make some replies since I haven't been able to be on the boards for like a week.

Lee. said:
Me and Cyphus got 7$ a piece and Johnwu and Ricky got 16$ a piece.
This is why no OOS will ever come to one of LAs tourneys. If we had more options near us, we probably wouldn't have either. :ohwell:

Cyphus said:
if anyone didn't notice...lee's game was pretty **** simple.
Lee always plays simplistically, it's amazing how effective he can be doing so.

Cyphus said:
I got 1 stocked vs. Tayor's marth on Yoshi, picked my level and 2 stocked him...then he chose to fight on Yoshi again...and i got 1 stocked again.
And that's why you guys need to use Dave's Stupid Rule so that **** doesn't happen. There shoud also be the ability to ban a stage but as long as BR runs it that probably won't happen. They love YS way too much. but think about it guys, you could take away Cyphus' Corneria. ;) (SA7 will be run like that, so you guys better be ready for it)

@ShyGuy: wtf?! That post (the big one) looks like you were under the influence of something. like wow... where can I get some? :psycho:

@eet: while it's true that nothing matters after 5th, you should still run for mayor.

Well it was fun playing with you guys while it lasted. I wish I could have been there last weekend, but hopefully I'll see you at Smash Aid. I'll be sure to bring my VCR so we can recorded the remaining $80 of Taylor's $100 MM with JCpwn.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Na, i wasnt under the influence of anything i just had ideas and emotions flowing.

I play mario,doc,falco,fox,jiggly,marth and pikachu

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>_>

So, ah, there will be more tourneys in Louisiana this summer right? Seeing as how I probably won't make it to Smash Aids or anything out of state, my only chance of competitive play lies within Louisiana. And if SA is in a few weeks followed right after RAM and company's tourney, that'll throw us in the middle of July and isn't FC6 going to be around that time? Is MLG ATL in the summer too?

RAM

Smash Lord
I don't know if we will even have a tourny if we can't get enough interest sometime during this weekend I'll make some Fliers and see how well that will work by putting them in all the game stores I can find around me. I can only hope after that unless someone know of another way to bring em in.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
<_<

So the four of us get off of school (about time . . . ) this Thursday. Yeeeup . . . .

eet

Smash Ace
so the gameware guy, stephen, wants to try doin weeklies on wednesday afternoons. So theyll be havin a tourny on june 21st, at 3pm.

I might have to work >>

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Wednesdays? How'd he come up with a day like Wednesday? I don't know if the rapist can make it if he can't get off of work, and then nobody would see Luigi. Luckily they're weeklies so I may be able to make a few. And since I doubt people will come from miles around for Wednesday tournies, maybe someone from Baton Rouge will win one (no offense to people outside of Baton Rouge).
Also, I put up a locator for people in the greatest state on both sides of the Mississippi, and even if you don't want to put yourself on there, at least do it to make me feel better about myself.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Weeklies, eh? Interesting. And I assume that the pot stays at $5? Hmm, I think that Noddle might actually be able to make it to a few of these if it's every wednesday.

TehPh1r3PwnzJ00

Smash Apprentice
battle field is even better vs doc than ys.
i had you 3-1 stock at the start of the game and i dont know how much my game was lowered, but im sure i was playing subpar at that point

and manko next time u play me u can ban any and every stage u want ;)

about the weeklies, i hope someone else would be able to run the brackets some of the time because idk if i'll be able to make every one with my job how it is.

Top Bottom