• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
And us north LA peeps are in a position where we just wish we could be selective about what tournies we attend, who hosts them, and what the venue fee is
Our main concern is just finding stuff to go to within a 2-3 hour radius of us

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I don't know anything about how Smashcon is run, but I think there are some misinformation going on here about what the Alabama Smash League is about. The ASL is not a business. I pay door fee and I pay entry fee, my gas comes from my wallet. I run the livestream and don't delusion myself about making twitch bux. I don't make any money unless I place in top 3, just like anybody else.

The ASL is just me and my friends working hard to make smash fun in our state.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I don't know anything about how Smashcon is run, but I think there are some misinformation going on here about what the Alabama Smash League is about. The ASL is not a business. I pay door fee and I pay entry fee, my gas comes from my wallet. I run the livestream and don't delusion myself about making twitch bux. I don't make any money unless I place in top 3, just like anybody else.

The ASL is just me and my friends working hard to make smash fun in our state.
I have....what? What does Alabama have to do with anything? No disrespect, I'm having trouble finding a connection.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I believe Erick compared smashcon to ASL at some point earlier.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Soooooo I got the ICE Cafe Monthly and Space Jams 1 & 2 submitted to the Smashboards Rankings, but I'll be making the actual results threads tomorrow. I'll give you the rankings submissions since I promised them to yall tonight, as well as the Just 4 Play tourney story the day after the ICE tourney.

ICE Brawl, ICE Melee, ICE PM, Space Jam 1 Brawl, Space Jam 1 Melee, Space Jam 1 PM, Space Jam 2 PM

For some background, in April, Just 4 Play had their first (that I knew of) PM tourney, and Facebook randomly suggested it in my events, and I was free, no other tournies that day, so why not. So I get in there, and it's just like any other PlayNTrade/GameWare/Game Trader/etc. game store in a mall, though this place had a lot more old games to offer than most. Cool. I spot a physical copy of FFVII, so I aimed to get that with my prize money. $5 entry, double elim, standard fare, except that every match except for "finals" (I'll get to that in a bit) is 1 single game, and "finals" are 2 out of 3. Ok, whatever. There's only one setup. Didn't feel like carrying my stuff through the mall, and 1 game sets would be somewhat quick. Also, turns out a guy from our collective past, Ryan aka Winnar, and his little bro were there, so that was cool. So the guy running it (the manager) starts it off, just putting it in order of when people signed up, and put it in a Challonge bracket. Things are going fine, everyone else is pretty much noob material, except half of them kept spouting random things about the game that were either completely 100% wrong and/or opinion given the respect of fact. Annoying, to an extent, especially since only Ryan, his bro, and I were the only ones who wavedashed and L-cancelled anything. For most of the other matches, Winnar, his bro, and I kind of give troll commentary, and while nobody really reacted to it, there were a few people who didn't like it, of which I apologized on their FB page afterwards. I don't remember when in Winners did I play Winnar, but I lost to his Fox/Falco (don't remember). We get to Winner's Finals, and Winnar and James (Ganon) start thinking it's a best of 3. However, due to how Challonge labels the rounds, it really only labels Grand Finals as the "finals," which is directly how the manager interprets it. Winnar and I try to discuss it with the manager, and instead of making it a mutual discussion, he immediately gets frustrated at us and thinks we are clueless, yet eventually let Winners and Losers Finals be best of 3. We proceed, I barely beat Winnar's bro cuz I was flubbing everything, then I beat Winnar in both GF sets. He's salty, hold that L. The number of entrants was in the teens, and it was "winner take all" so I expect $60 or so, getting FFVII for free. Turns out (I should have known), it's store credit, and I only get $25...so I get FFVII for half off instead. Bummer, but whatever, it was fun.

Onto the second one, which was the day after the ICE monthly. I get there at the last second, entrant #14. James (Ira) had "going" on the FB event, so I wanted to get my revenge from ICE real quick, but he couldn't get a ride, oh well. Most of the people from the last one were there, piece of cake. No Winnar or anyone else I actually knew, bummer. Same stuff as last time, though before we start, the manager (same one) reads out the rules. As he's going through them, he gets to the "only Finals is best of 3" part, and emphasizes this: "Last time, we got some trouble from some people on what matches were best of 3. ONLY THE FINAL FINAL MATCH IS BEST OF 3. I am not going to change it, and if anyone talks to me about it or asks to change it, I will kick you out of the store." When I got there, I didn't talk to anyone, didn't play friendlies on the (once again) one setup. So I kept to myself, and once the manager said that, I had to subdue myself from bursting in laughter. I mean, this guy apparently was THAT mad about it, he remembered to bring it up again. So that was 100% confirmation this guy was a douche, and was 110% confirmed as he entered the tourney, and complained about the game when he lost "though I barely even played this game" and "only played it like twice."

Onto the matches, I 3 and 4-stock everyone I play, other matches take forever, it comes down to me, James (Ganon), a girl who spammed turnips and Dsmash with Peach, and a Fsmashing Ike. Ez pz, right? Well, the douche manager did say that "all" characters were legal, so I didn't pay any mind to that. Standard fare, right? Well, James makes it to Grand Finals with me, so it's the only match that's best of 3. This time, he picks Bowser. I'm like ok, mixing it up. The game starts. Bowser starts enlarging into frickin Giga Bowser. The "crowd" gasps and cheers, because they actually think that getting Giga Bowser is a random occurrence! I know the manager said "all" characters are legal, but seriously? I thought he was messing around at first, like we were gonna reset. He actually paused at the start. Welp, he only did that so he could put his headphones in, and then resumes the game. I had never seen Giga Bowser in action, so I had no idea about anything that was gonna happen. Turns out, you can't even grab Giga Bowser, at all, like you simply don't grab anything. Super armor up the wazzoo on everything, his Dsmash sucks you in, and I actually lose game 1. After that, I sit and recollect myself, like really? First, did this guy really pick Giga Bowser? Second, is the manager is really allowing this guy to pick a stupidly and purposefully broken character? I wasn't gonna object to that, since he might've kicked me out the venue like the idiot he was.

Game 2 starts, first stocks get taken from each other pretty quickly after one another, then I think of something: "This guy sucks, they don't know any real Melee mechanics, so he doesn't know to crouch cancel unless he happens to be Dsmashing or Dtilting..." I proceed to Ftilt the **** out of this mother ******, camp the ledge, and needle the **** out of him to win the next two games. People were recording our matches with their phones and tablets, and I was just disappointed all around. With James, with the manager, with all these people who still claim to know so much and play a lot, but know so little.

I got $25 again, thought this time, the manager decided to give me $20 in credit, then some BS $5 little "coupon" that would have expired yesterday. The **** is that BS? I ask if I can use it with my credit, and he says yes. THANK GOD, cuz I would've argued to use it so that he would've kicked me out since I live 40 minutes away. I get Lost Odyssey and N3 since I've heard they're both pretty awesome and I could get them both for free. I get out of dodge, and I'm not entirely sure if I'll ever go there again, free or not.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I was just about to ask if that long ass post was necessary until I got to the Giga Bowser part. **** escalated quickly. Who the **** is Cake Matrix? Did Flounda actually put his name down as "Flounda" on the bracket, because that's hilarious.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Cake Matrix is Gram/Graham, PM player from New Orleans, lives where NOHYPE was held. I believe Curlz put him in as Flounda, don't think it was directly his choice lol

ChKn

Smash Ace
I would never put myself down as that name. Also, I am not TRC. I do not get free enchiladas for my effort. Damnit Curlz.

Mushuwu played Wolf and Matt played Wario.

GGs to everyone I played at the tourney. I didn't do so bad for my first Proj M tourney. Looking forward to playing more.

@ GOL | 482 | JSalt GOL | 482 | JSalt once I get a job, I'll get you a shot. Also did you get your laptop back?

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I would never put myself down as that name. Also, I am not TRC. I do not get free enchiladas for my effort. Damnit Curlz.

Mushuwu played Wolf and Matt played Wario.

GGs to everyone I played at the tourney. I didn't do so bad for my first Proj M tourney. Looking forward to playing more.

@ GOL | 482 | JSalt GOL | 482 | JSalt once I get a job, I'll get you a shot. Also did you get your laptop back?
Alright, thanks for the info, and yes, Oath actually went back there and got it for me. I can't thank him enough for that @oathkeeper005

Sudai

Stuff here
Normally I wouldn't have read that long ass post (**** long ass post) but I was in just the right mood and..lmao giga bowser.

I can imagine you sitting there with your face like "Really...I mean...really dude? wtf?" lmao

RuslinJimmies

Smash Journeyman
The kid knew how to L cancel, thus meaning he knew basic game mechanics, and he ****ing lost with giga bowser?! How the **** did he lose...
Were like legit stages used?
Why didn't he take you to hella small stages.
Why didn't the crowd kill themselves.
Why is that manager a person.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
He actually didn't L-cancel, ever. Not as Ganon, not as Giga Bowser. Like, everytime I came back from losing a stock, he rolled left, then right, EVERY SINGLE TIME.
90% of all the matches were on FD, a couple were on Battlefield and Smashville, I don't think any other stage was picked.
It's like they're in their own little bubble, and stuck in their ways, and would take offense to me showing them the light, to set them free from their own ignorance.
And I don't know why people like the manager exist.

_D._

Smash Apprentice
Anyone want a to go to CEO? I'm driving and I already have a car of three people. Anyone interested?

_D._

Smash Apprentice
Johnathan, two of my friends, and their entering street fighter, tekken, and project M.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I mean, I ain't no *****. But I knew I could adapt, tilts for days, needles from smashville's platform, both hits of upsmash connect. I think I 3-stocked him game 3.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Well we have two Best Buy locations: one in BR and one in Harvey. Guess I'm taking a trip to BR on June 11th lol.

Last edited:

Samsora

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately I won't be at Grand a Chariot because I rather be at the smash 4 smash fest in the West Bank T_T just bad timing

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Team with me if trey isn't there? Lemme talk to trey.

Am teaming with trey, nvm.

Last edited:

'V'

Smash Lord
Zack, if I were going to The Golden Chariot and if Sudai weren't going, I would team with you. Fox/Zelda is a really fun team (I play it in Melee with Sudai). Alas, I will be in Lafayette that day for Louisianime instead. Perhaps another time, man. Hope you find a partner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom