• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

BSP

Smash Legend
Its a 24-hour convention. The Game Room and the con floor stay open all night. And Housing is only $89/night at the Convention Hotel and rooms STILL aren't completely booked. Just start spamming up Texas, Alabama, and Florida.

So LouisiANIME FINALLY got in touch with me about the tournament. You should expect some pot bonuses from the convention if they approve of the Smash Tournament. If not, then we'll just go back to the original plan of having a normal tournament. :]
All right then, I'll try it soon

There's not enough time in the day....

I've got stuff to do too. Help me out here guys! Let's hype up LAnime for the South!!

Sudai

Stuff here
but then why has the turnout died down. I remember that when gameware and laser tag were having tournies in br people I now know were coming out of state and the turnout would be huge. Why do we no longer have that ability to generate that kind of crowd again?

Flounda hit the nail on the head. Without upwards of 50 people in attendance, it's simply not worth it for the big ticket players to come from OoS as even if they got first it wouldn't cover their cost. On top of that, it's usually the big ticket players that bring other people with them. They gather people for their carpool so their gas is cheaper, then you get the "Oh, all my friends are going, this'll be ballin' so I should go!" effect going on.

As for why the numbers dropped, LAST 3 right around the peak of interest in our community. A lot of players dropped because Brawl started getting stale around that time. I was one such person.

As for the gameware tournies, those got a good bit of OoS because Esca is a badass and would drive a carpool down to play with us just cause he loves us and Louisiana had a special connection with the Butt Mountain crew.

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
Whaaaaaaaat?! When? Where? Why?

These are serious by the way.
Yes! Today! Some hotel in Nola! I have no clue, mainly being tourists atm with the Victorious cast. Her, Leon, and Daniella are there. I'm unsure of Ariana, Liz, and Avan.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Yes! Today! Some hotel in Nola! I have no clue, mainly being tourists atm with the Victorious cast. Her, Leon, and Daniella are there. I'm unsure of Ariana, Liz, and Avan.
Lol, this is so incredibly stalkerish. That said, any tourist, especially a celeb who has never been here before, will want to go to the French Quarter. So if you absolutely must see her, you could hang out in the quarters all day, especially Cafe' Du Monde because everybody loves beignets. Also the aquarium and the riverboat cruise are places they'll likely go.

I'm saying this because I want you to come down here and be a stalker.

Dr.Faust

Smash Cadet
Anyone down for SSBM Saterday at dibbz. You can bring your Wii and play SSBB too but I only have a GC. PM me if you want to play. I'll be there around 2:00PM if people want to play

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'm totally down for Melee saturday, I haven't played in awhile. I must make sure I have nothing to do, which I usually don't.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Probably because the last time we had OoS people for a BIG tournament, we had 25-40 people. I remember Last 3 getting 70+. I think 50+ people is the the sweetspot number that we'd need to hit as a state to attract other OoS people.

We should ask what it would take for OoS people to come here.

Xryo, Gnes, Smoom, Trela, Razer, Espy
Very true:
As for why the numbers dropped, LAST 3 right around the peak of interest in our community. A lot of players dropped because Brawl started getting stale around that time. I was one such person.
I miss the LasT's and CI's, because they gave a lot of variety. LasT's seem to get a bunch of people while CI's are for the small crowds. I remember LasT 3 being the tournament that actually got me into the Smash community completely, being the second tournament I'd ever attended after LAnime's first. LasT's got a lot of hype and I think if it could be revived, and include other games such as Melee, MvC3, and P:M, it would be successful. Brawl alone just doesn't bring crowds anymore like it used to.

-Ran

Smash Master
If a man walked up to you and said, "Hey, everyone give me $5 dollars, and I'll give it to the three fastest people here." Being competitive, you'd give it a shot. The first race would be exhilarating, and even upon failure to win, you could have surely given yourself a reason that you could compete again, and win. However, would you drive an hour for this race, how about two? Would you do it once or twice every week, even after continual losses?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
That all depends on how much they can pay for gas, how motivated they are to keep playing the games featured and place, and whether or not it's in their time frame to do so.

Gas is skyrocketing. It's hard to pay for it now, though OOS's generally carpool and solve that.

For the game variety, everyone has a different game they're interested in, and Brawl is definitely getting stale. More games = more potential attendees.

Time frame is a huge factor, and school interferes with tournaments frequently. The most chance for a successful tourney would be one hosted in the summer that has Brawl, Melee, MvC3, and P:M. It would help if it was alongside a convention, which would give them a much, much wider variety of things to do along with the tournament.

-Ran

Smash Master
I might have to change NOM to bimonthly due to attendance. The venue fee isn't covering enough for how long we stay, and so I might end up doing Smash fests [with a venue fee] on the month that doesn't have a tournament, just to see if it would bring in more players.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
If a man walked up to you and said, "Hey, everyone give me $5 dollars, and I'll give it to the three fastest people here." Being competitive, you'd give it a shot. The first race would be exhilarating, and even upon failure to win, you could have surely given yourself a reason that you could compete again, and win. However, would you drive an hour for this race, how about two? Would you do it once or twice every week, even after continual losses?
I liked the whole essay better than just this part, fwiw.

-Ran

Smash Master
K, whole essay then.

I've been possessed by Cyphus..... =d

Part of it is, people are learning their skill level, and realize that they aren't going to eclipse the playing level of others in the state/area. Tournaments are going to remain the size they are, as we shift Novices in and out until they realize the futility of their improvement rate. What hurts our OOS attendance is the fact that Lee is capable of beating or at least pushing whoever would come to splitting. People don't drive 5+ hours to split a twenty to forty person tournament.

For example, I know exactly where I am skill level wise in Brawl and Melee right now. I don't have to enter a tournament to find that out. [I enter to make attendance better for those that travel to my events.] This is the same for many, many players in the state, to the point where they are beyond the stage of donating money to the best three players. Some would call this defeatism, most would realize that this is just being realistic. As it stands now, 60% of both tournament pots are going to go to Lee. That's not going to change, that means that the 40% is being scrapped at by the remaining 99% of the scene. For Melee, there is legitimate contention for who is getting third place [awesome, 10% of the total pot.] In Brawl our state is so heavily tiered, that money could just be handed out as a salary based on the PR.

Are tournaments fun? Yes. However, could we have the same level of fun by having Smashfests instead of tournaments? By charging venue fees just to play with each other, and enjoy pizza together, without having pressure to play the game? Of course we could. I understand that many will say that money is a great motivator to become better at the game, but what's the motivation when you have no remote chance to make any money?

At the moment, there are probably ten good players for Melee that simply won't enter tournaments, because they know they aren't going to make any money. Even getting third place won't give them their money back, so why even drop money in it? They're certainly capable of beating me, and Everette [who got fifth last tournament], but they aren't going to enter. Why? For the ten of them to enter a tournament, they know that they are only fighting over $13 dollars. Is it worth it to them to travel for that, to dedicate a day to competitive smash, for that?

However, the other side of the coin is that the players that are in the best are so, because they never gave up. They continued to get better, and pushed themselves to the point where they have solidified their status in the state. They deserve the money of people that enter tournaments, with such heavily stacked odds. Which is why it's a tough spot for the players that are trying to get better. No one wants to deny someone their 'due', but at the same time what is gained in all of this?

We constantly reinforce the collective levels of each player, by having tournaments almost every other week. Players aren't given time to breath, and the fable of 'go to tournaments, get better' is spread to everyone. Someone could learn more from tapping the knowledge base of a retired player in Brawl [Sudai/Vaughn/Cyphus/Me/Etc] over the course of a day, without having to enter a tournament.

If players want to use money as a method for developing their skills, money matches are far more efficient in terms of both increasing skill and money. At the very least, you can target someone that you feel you have a good chance of beating, instead of throwing your money into a pot, never to see it again. You should be able to break even over the course of a day, if you're wise with who you play, rather than being in the 90% of the players that won't be making any money in a tournament. Of course, since most players have spent their 'Smash bank account' on entering the tournament, they rarely branch out into money matches.

If a man walked up to you and said, "Hey, everyone give me $5 dollars, and I'll give it to the three fastest people here." Being competitive, you'd give it a shot. The first race would be exhilarating, and even upon failure to win, you could surely given yourself a reason that you could compete again, and win. However, would you drive an hour for this race? Would you do it once or twice every week, even after continual losses?

I've just been thinking that in a way, money spoils the community and depletes the amount of potential players. I've been considering changing NOM to a bimonthly tournament, where every other month is a Smashfest. Numbers have dropped off to the point where Dibbz isn't making much on the venue fee for the duration of time that we spend there. If the option to keep the venue is to not charge money to give us a place to play Smash, that might be what has to be done.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Solution: Ban Lee and more Smashfests. :troll:

But yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I think Smashfests with optional tournaments would be a lot more popular than only tournaments at this point.

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
Lol, this is so incredibly stalkerish. That said, any tourist, especially a celeb who has never been here before, will want to go to the French Quarter. So if you absolutely must see her, you could hang out in the quarters all day, especially Cafe' Du Monde because everybody loves beignets. Also the aquarium and the riverboat cruise are places they'll likely go.

I'm saying this because I want you to come down here and be a stalker.
It's not stalkerish if I follow them on Twitter and they tell you they're in Nola. It's like FB, you can't really be considered a stalker because it's a status and it pops up. :awesome:

You act like I'm gonna attempt **** or something, I'd never do that.

-Ran

Smash Master
why don't we have anymore last?
Those were Randall's tournaments. He doesn't play anymore, and so they don't happen. I've recently contacted him about how much it'd cost to get the venue for Laser Tag though. I plan to have something happen there this summer.

Savon

Smash Ace
I have to agree with Ran. Most of the best matches I have at Dibbz come from playing lots of friendlies not the tournament matches themselves. I got a LOT better during a smash fest we did a while back in like November/December?

Although mvc3 has kinda pulled me from smash, I think smashfests as a whole are more productive for the community than tournaments.

And do not let Ran confuse you all with this whole

BI-Monthly thing. It's a trap.

-Ran

Smash Master
I did, but I dunno what you mean by evolved still. lol

I skipped over the repeated racing analogy though.
The racing analogy was from that post, I just had deleted the post since I had decided it was too long. >>

Hyro

Smash Lord
K, whole essay then.

I've been possessed by Cyphus..... =d

Part of it is, people are learning their skill level, and realize that they aren't going to eclipse the playing level of others in the state/area. Tournaments are going to remain the size they are, as we shift Novices in and out until they realize the futility of their improvement rate. What hurts our OOS attendance is the fact that Lee is capable of beating or at least pushing whoever would come to splitting. People don't drive 5+ hours to split a twenty to forty person tournament.

For example, I know exactly where I am skill level wise in Brawl and Melee right now. I don't have to enter a tournament to find that out. [I enter to make attendance better for those that travel to my events.] This is the same for many, many players in the state, to the point where they are beyond the stage of donating money to the best three players. Some would call this defeatism, most would realize that this is just being realistic. As it stands now, 60% of both tournament pots are going to go to Lee. That's not going to change, that means that the 40% is being scrapped at by the remaining 99% of the scene. For Melee, there is legitimate contention for who is getting third place [awesome, 10% of the total pot.] In Brawl our state is so heavily tiered, that money could just be handed out as a salary based on the PR.

Are tournaments fun? Yes. However, could we have the same level of fun by having Smashfests instead of tournaments? By charging venue fees just to play with each other, and enjoy pizza together, without having pressure to play the game? Of course we could. I understand that many will say that money is a great motivator to become better at the game, but what's the motivation when you have no remote chance to make any money?

At the moment, there are probably ten good players for Melee that simply won't enter tournaments, because they know they aren't going to make any money. Even getting third place won't give them their money back, so why even drop money in it? They're certainly capable of beating me, and Everette [who got fifth last tournament], but they aren't going to enter. Why? For the ten of them to enter a tournament, they know that they are only fighting over $13 dollars. Is it worth it to them to travel for that, to dedicate a day to competitive smash, for that?

However, the other side of the coin is that the players that are in the best are so, because they never gave up. They continued to get better, and pushed themselves to the point where they have solidified their status in the state. They deserve the money of people that enter tournaments, with such heavily stacked odds. Which is why it's a tough spot for the players that are trying to get better. No one wants to deny someone their 'due', but at the same time what is gained in all of this?

We constantly reinforce the collective levels of each player, by having tournaments almost every other week. Players aren't given time to breath, and the fable of 'go to tournaments, get better' is spread to everyone. Someone could learn more from tapping the knowledge base of a retired player in Brawl [Sudai/Vaughn/Cyphus/Me/Etc] over the course of a day, without having to enter a tournament.

If players want to use money as a method for developing their skills, money matches are far more efficient in terms of both increasing skill and money. At the very least, you can target someone that you feel you have a good chance of beating, instead of throwing your money into a pot, never to see it again. You should be able to break even over the course of a day, if you're wise with who you play, rather than being in the 90% of the players that won't be making any money in a tournament. Of course, since most players have spent their 'Smash bank account' on entering the tournament, they rarely branch out into money matches.

If a man walked up to you and said, "Hey, everyone give me $5 dollars, and I'll give it to the three fastest people here." Being competitive, you'd give it a shot. The first race would be exhilarating, and even upon failure to win, you could surely given yourself a reason that you could compete again, and win. However, would you drive an hour for this race? Would you do it once or twice every week, even after continual losses?

I've just been thinking that in a way, money spoils the community and depletes the amount of potential players. I've been considering changing NOM to a bimonthly tournament, where every other month is a Smashfest. Numbers have dropped off to the point where Dibbz isn't making much on the venue fee for the duration of time that we spend there. If the option to keep the venue is to not charge money to give us a place to play Smash, that might be what has to be done.
This post sucks hardcore. You're assuming everyones entering tournaments to make money. No. You go to the movies, you throw in 5 dollars to the pot. Do you ever win? No. Do you enjoy yourself? Yeah, if you enjoy the movie. Same with brawl tournaments. It's different for OOS players, because who wants to spend $200 to go to a dumb local tourney when they can instead wait for a bigger more fun tourney like Whobo. Unless they can win that dumb local tourney which they can't, cuz lee.

And do you remember when I used to lose to you all the time? I never was like **** this game. That's literally just individual personalities. Lol @ the FABLE that if you keep going to tournaments you get better. TBH, if you believe that it's a fable, that's obviously the reason why you're not getting better. You don't even believe yourself. You know if you're lying.

Everytime I play Lee I know I'm gonna win. That might sound stupid but it's honestly my mindset. I don't think, "I HAVE TO THINK IM GOING TO WIN", thats just what I believe because I remember the last time I lost to him in tourney and I think I know what to do to win this time. And I learn something new everytime. It's different with Jnig because I have that "I'm gonna lose cuz warios gay and i can't do anything" mindset.

Butttt now that I don't give a **** I randomly beat jnig the last 2 times. no mindset is better than a bad one i guess lol

in conclusion, ran you suck and you owe me dinner. jk! but for real you owe me dinner. and you're not good at brawl

_D._

Smash Apprentice
I may not be the best now but I promise everyone of you I will be. So by going to every tournament I possibly can I am going to beat lee and anyone else for that matter. The brawl community looks as if someone could just make one more big push we could start having huge tournaments again. Brawl is fun as **** we need to promote it so that other individuals can take part of that joy.

Top Bottom