• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Let us all pay our respects to Luigi for first introducing the concept in his first Final Smash, then passing the torch to Ashley to make her inclusion a possibility one day.
It's true that Ashley's zone is similar to Luigi's old, weird final Smash. Let's hope that it can bring more effects to Ashley's spells as a playable character!

Having a spell increasing the likelihood of tripping would become Smash greatest move by default. Even better than Cloud's Uair.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's true that Ashley's zone is similar to Luigi's old, weird final Smash. Let's hope that it can bring more effects to Ashley's spells as a playable character!

Having a spell increasing the likelihood of tripping would become Smash greatest move by default. Even better than Cloud's Uair.
He didn't have to use that. He could've easily used his Poltergust from the start. But because Brawl was so emo we got that Luigi letting out his negative emotions, giving Ashley inspiration (and perhaps admiration?).

These days it's not so much "increased chance of tripping" as it is "re-enabling random Brawl tripping", but yeah.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
He didn't have to use that. He could've easily used his Poltergust from the start. But because Brawl was so emo we got that Luigi letting out his negative emotions, giving Ashley inspiration (and perhaps admiration?).
Brawl was weird in many aspects, in retrospective.

These days it's not so much "increased chance of tripping" as it is "re-enabling random Brawl tripping", but yeah.
Well, that's basically Tingle's banana peel effect in SSB4 (and Brawl). Also, Tingle is seemingly returning as a stage element instead of AT (although his MM and WW incarnations can coexist, so we don't know yet), so this could give Ashley more uniqueness if he doesn't return as an AT.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Has 2B ever even appeared on a Nintendo console?

If not, she has a zero percent chance. (Though even if she did, she'd still have an abysmal chance.)
2B had a cameo promotion on Phantasy Star online 2 as a character outfit. So technically I guess you could say she has appeared on a Nintendo console.

Do you all think Ashley being a girl gives her an edge when it comes to consideration? I hope it does. Not just because I want her in, but because there really isn't that many female characters in the game, and that can be pretty important to some people.
While there isn't any blatant proof that females were prioritized Sakurai has made some statements that seem to allude to a desire for more female characters. Nintendo recived criticism for the lack of females on the Brawl roster and I believe Sakurai felt great sympathy for it.

Smash 4 did receive a lot more female newcomers. People seem to be more satisfied with the female characters this time around so it's hard to say if being female gives Ashley an advantage. I will say I do believe Ashley being female has helped make her chances better than if she were male because it helps her draw more attention.

I know this is anecdotal, but my little sister only really picks the female characters or cute characters like Kirby and Ice Climbers. It would be nice to finally have a character that we both main, that is if she ends up liking Ashley.
I know what you mean, when it comes to women they're more picky with choosing characters they want to play as. My female friends are the same way, they play the cute characters; Kirby, Yoshi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, the female Villager or, they play as the feminine characters; Peach, Rosalina, Zelda, Palutena and, Wii Fit Trainer. Shiek is the only masculine character to get away with it because she used to be paired with Zelda.

Ironically, ZSS, Bayonetta, Lucina, female Robin and, female Corrin are considered too masculine for their interest despite being female. The one exception to this is that one of my female friends likes Link because she admits to having sexual fantasies about him. But none of them want to play as smelly old Gannondorf.

That being said, they seem to be on board with Ashley.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
After seeing Sans' placement on the Japanese poll, I'm wondering if he's just genuinely wanted or meme status like he is over here. I'm assuming people just want him, as Undertale is massive, but have our Sans memes spread over there?
Undertale is pretty damn popular in Japan. However, it has almost no chance to get into base game Smash since It came out in 2017 in Japan.

Last edited:

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
A screenshot from one of the new Japanese WarioWare Gold trailers. This is definitely pretty detailed for just a mini-game.

ashley 3d minigame.jpg

Iustinus Tempus

Smash Rookie
A screenshot from one of the new Japanese WarioWare Gold trailers. This is definitely pretty detailed for just a mini-game.
Ooo~ Adorable~! <3
Although, I really wish Ashley kept her black stockings, it really goes well with her hair.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I don't post in here often as I don't know what I can add to the conversation.

But, love Ashley, Ashley is love, Ashley is life.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Undertale is pretty damn popular in Japan. However, it has almost no chance to get into base game Smash since It came out in 2017 in Japan.
Yeah, I don't really think an Undertale rep has any chance at all for now haha. I just find it funny that he's a popular character for Smash both here and in Japan for totally different reasons (if he's not a meme pick in Japan).

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
The WarioWare Gold team decided to save time by borrowing Ashley's Smash Ultimate model! ;)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm wondering what the Raw Model looks like without going through the 3DS Hardware. Can't wait for it to be ripped.

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
That Ashley is precious and must be protected.

Also on a side note, do you think we will get any warioware related smash announcements on the day Gold is released. Like even if it’s not a character reveal they could show some new stuff.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
If you took Gold Ashley's eyes and put them on Wii U Ashley, you'd have the perfect Ashley ready for Smash.
(Maybe give her stockings back).
I've grown quite fond of her black eyes tbh. They just go with everything.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman

Also on a side note, do you think we will get any warioware related smash announcements on the day Gold is released. Like even if it’s not a character reveal they could show some new stuff.
I'm hoping we'll at least get the Game & Wario stage shown on the blog.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ashley's base color scheme is so good I don't know if any of her alts would do her justice.
I always prefer playing as alternate colors but I might stick with the original Ashley once she's in.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Pick your main!
Black cloak Ashley
Though I prefer main Ashley the most.
Penny Ashley is also my favorite, but I would probably switch between all of them.

I really hope we get a Kat & Ana trophy. Because that sets the precedent for them revealing unrevealed trophies on the blog. And if Ashley isn't shown then that just makes me more hopeful that she's in. If they don't do this then I can't in good faith lift my spirits for her. Worst case they just have Wario as the character of the day. Scratch that, worst case is definitely them confirming Ashley as an assist.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

View attachment 153562
Watch this get an expanded, standalone eshop release ala Kirby minigames.

Nice model. She looks pretty sad tho.

Where can I see the trailer this came from?
It's the eyebrows, looking over several Ashley pics only a small handful of the badge arcade ones have ever had Ashley with them. It's amazing how well emotions are hidden with them. It's different for sure, but I think it sells her loneliness more.

And I see they went right back to the classic red eyes with irises. I guess they serve their purpose of mixing creepy with cute... but it's hard to resist the pure sweetness of the black.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
One of the things I love about this whole Ashley thread is that, regardless of her outcome in Ultimate, she'll go on to become a more prominent name in the community. People always like to point out how characters seem to end up seemingly out of nowhere in terms of popularity, and I never really understood why people have such a problem with that. That's just how support for certain characters grows, it just takes a few dedicated people to support a nominee and show others a character's potential. I know reply size isn't always a huge or accurate indicator of actual support, but much of this forum and talk has shown me that she's legitimately become one of the most supported and dare I say, desired newcomers for Smash.

It's interesting to see a larger support community grow seemingly out of nowhere for once given I never participated in the earlier SmashBoards discussions for games til late in Smash 4's cycle.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
Ashley's Gold model... is a bit too detailed for a single minigame, specially since she is the only character that has a 3D model in the whole game. It also has the same "cartoon-anime" look that Peach and Rosalina have in Smash...

Top Bottom