• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I've been waiting for a little while to post my thoughts on Ashley following the news yesterday. I wanted to think a lot about it since I've had some ideas brewing in my head for a while regarding her popularity and status with regards to Smash. She was one of my top 5 (#4) for certain, and I still love the idea of her as a playable character, so I hope she can perhaps be a DLC tier character if Waluigi manages to set that precedent (And it pretty much has to be him first at this point, his whole controversy has galvanized the idea of him deserving a spot in Smash for better and for worse). That said, I got my number 1 (King K Rool) and number 5 (Simon Belmont), so my disappointment couldn't really be all that much because I had made sure I was careful on how much I bet on any single thing in this game following some of Smash 4's disappointment. This post isn't to serve as the salt in the wound to the fan base, but these are my observations regarding her.

The biggest thing I think is that Ashley is a victim of the Smash hype cycle. This fan base grew exponentially in a tiny time frame, we damn near eclipsed King K. Rool (A character who has became the main contender of Smash speculation for basically the last two cycles) in the period of about two months from E3 2018. That's a huge accomplishment to be noted of any fan base, and bodes well for her support in the future. I think with that came a lot of attention and band-wagon supporters too (I want to note, I in no way see that as a bad thing). With that attention she became the center of an Echo chamber of support. That many voices tends to have that effect on this site for better and for worse as well. It makes the confirmations all the more exciting, and the disconfirmations all the more tragically heartbreaking.

I think we might have come to overestimate the chances of Ashley, especially looking in retrospect to all of this. I wouldn't necessarily call the outpouring for a second WarioWare rep to have been huge previously for one thing. Brawl had just added Wario and his stage, and I don't remember a ton of support happening for one in Smash 4 either. The support there previously also had a much more divided fan base too in comparison to now. Mona, 9-Volt, and Jimmy T all felt like characters that had a presence in previous years as well compared to Ultimate's hype cycle. I take this to mean the support for a second WarioWare rep had previously been spread much more evenly during the ballot days and prior to the ballot. There wasn't a clear cut, next in line rep for WarioWare in terms of popularity. Not to mention Game and Wario had not done so well in recent memory, which can only hurt the whole situation. Now, while we may end up with Isabelle from Animal Crossing still, she clearly became a frontrunner for second rep upon her introduction. Unlike Ashley, she had an immediate popularity and marketable image in comparison, where as I would argue Ashley's popularity has taken more time to build up. Not to mention just the sheer size of Animal Crossing as a series at this point versus WarioWare.

I know some people seemed to express disappointment that Japan is seemingly not getting their most wanted reps as well, but I think that's a bit of a conclusion to be jumping to as well. First off, the character announcements are not yet done, so we have no clue who might or might not be in the game still. Bandanna Dee and Isabelle would certainly be big picks for Japan, and King K Rool has always seemed to have some major presence in Japan (From what I've seen he was always a top 10 pick in any polls for expected or desired newcomers). With Japan though, I think we've all struggled to really come up with nearly as much data on the subject as we'd like. I think there's been a lot of assuming done with the more limited ideas done on who is exactly popular in Japan. A big red flag to me is how quickly people latched on to the whole Ridley as Captain America thing, when in reality that wasn't remotely near how things were being handled. Ashley did pretty well on the couple of polls we got, but she closer to the end of the top 10s than the beginning in the related information I saw beforehand. I think there's a good chance that we all fell a little bit into overestimating her Japanese popularity as well. With limited information we made more conclusions than perhaps we should have. Again, Japan has always been a hotly contested topic when it comes to Smash speculation as to the validity of said information presented.

Finally, I don't think many of us would have seen Ashley as nearly as viable as a newcomer if we hadn't looked at the Nintendo Badge Arcade. As heavily featured as she was in that, I think two things to keep in mind is that the arcade also came from the WarioWare developers, so you've got a little bit of developer bias pushing her into something. Not a bad thing at all, and I imagined it certainly helped push her image as a Nintendo character. But I do wonder just how much of an effect that really had on her popularity and status in Japan. She was indeed pushed that hard with the game, but was that push truly a lasting impact? Again, that's information I'm mostly certain we lack enough research on to really determine.

That's sort of my take on the Ashley situation as a fan who began to see things get a little out of control with how certain people were becoming on her inclusion. Especially once the disconfirmation happened, I really started putting my thoughts on the matter together to start looking at why she may not have been included. I think when you start to add things up, she may not have been on Sakurai's radar in the way a lot of us thought she was, and that's always going to be the most important thing at the end of the day. That's part of the reason I also see her deconfirmation in the Direct as it was. I think there is a very high probability that she got added into the Direct once Sakurai learned of her growth in popularity late in the game. Just to get it over with. Sakurai has done a lot of quick bandaid ripping to let us down already. I could see that as just another way of his trying to let down the fans the best he knew how.

I also wonder, if a Rhythm Heaven rep gets in there may have been some precedent to that Rhythm Microgame character from an unrepresented series over another WarioWare character. I actually lean towards that as a huge possibility as well. And as much as I love Ashley and WarioWare, I could see that argument being entirely valid.

I am indeed disappointed she isn't in the base game (and I do think we should exclusively look at things as such). She would have been a great character, and I stand by the belief we need more magic users in Smash as well. I can't deny that we've managed to achieve a lot in a little amount of time though, we made a character with a limited backing one of the future top contenders in Smash. I understand the disappointment for now, but don't devalue that reality we've helped to make. Especially if we keep supporting the character in the future, she has a chance to show up in Smash someday.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Just gonna say, there are a few people on Twitter who have chosen not to take the news well.

I won’t say them by name, but let’s just say most of you here have taken the news very well, and I’m proud of every single one of you, you’re all honorable members of the Ashley Empire in your own rights.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
What do you have in mind so far? Keep in mind that her Pumpkin Panic shenanigans are fair game now.
My mental concept thus far has been able to stay completely magic based (Outside of maybe a Hitbox on her broom up B). I've always wanted a purely magic based fighter in Smash, so I don't really want any rod bashing or kicking or sliding. I've never been a creative type, but I did start thinking about it today and came up with some ideas.

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I've been waiting for a little while to post my thoughts on Ashley following the news yesterday. I wanted to think a lot about it since I've had some ideas brewing in my head for a while regarding her popularity and status with regards to Smash. She was one of my top 5 (#4) for certain, and I still love the idea of her as a playable character, so I hope she can perhaps be a DLC tier character if Waluigi manages to set that precedent (And it pretty much has to be him first at this point, his whole controversy has galvanized the idea of him deserving a spot in Smash for better and for worse). That said, I got my number 1 (King K Rool) and number 5 (Simon Belmont), so my disappointment couldn't really be all that much because I had made sure I was careful on how much I bet on any single thing in this game following some of Smash 4's disappointment. This post isn't to serve as the salt in the wound to the fan base, but these are my observations regarding her.

The biggest thing I think is that Ashley is a victim of the Smash hype cycle. This fan base grew exponentially in a tiny time frame, we damn near eclipsed King K. Rool (A character who has became the main contender of Smash speculation for basically the last two cycles) in the period of about two months from E3 2018. That's a huge accomplishment to be noted of any fan base, and bodes well for her support in the future. I think with that came a lot of attention and band-wagon supporters too (I want to note, I in no way see that as a bad thing). With that attention she became the center of an Echo chamber of support. That many voices tends to have that effect on this site for better and for worse as well. It makes the confirmations all the more exciting, and the disconfirmations all the more tragically heartbreaking.

I think we might have come to overestimate the chances of Ashley, especially looking in retrospect to all of this. I wouldn't necessarily call the outpouring for a second WarioWare rep to have been huge previously for one thing. Brawl had just added Wario and his stage, and I don't remember a ton of support happening for one in Smash 4 either. The support there previously also had a much more divided fan base too in comparison to now. Mona, 9-Volt, and Jimmy T all felt like characters that had a presence in previous years as well compared to Ultimate's hype cycle. I take this to mean the support for a second WarioWare rep had previously been spread much more evenly during the ballot days and prior to the ballot. There wasn't a clear cut, next in line rep for WarioWare in terms of popularity. Not to mention Game and Wario had not done so well in recent memory, which can only hurt the whole situation. Now, while we may end up with Isabelle from Animal Crossing still, she clearly became a frontrunner for second rep upon her introduction. Unlike Ashley, she had an immediate popularity and marketable image in comparison, where as I would argue Ashley's popularity has taken more time to build up. Not to mention just the sheer size of Animal Crossing as a series at this point versus WarioWare.

I know some people seemed to express disappointment that Japan is seemingly not getting their most wanted reps as well, but I think that's a bit of a conclusion to be jumping to as well. First off, the character announcements are not yet done, so we have no clue who might or might not be in the game still. Bandanna Dee and Isabelle would certainly be big picks for Japan, and King K Rool has always seemed to have some major presence in Japan (From what I've seen he was always a top 10 pick in any polls for expected or desired newcomers). With Japan though, I think we've all struggled to really come up with nearly as much data on the subject as we'd like. I think there's been a lot of assuming done with the more limited ideas done on who is exactly popular in Japan. A big red flag to me is how quickly people latched on to the whole Ridley as Captain America thing, when in reality that wasn't remotely near how things were being handled. Ashley did pretty well on the couple of polls we got, but she closer to the end of the top 10s than the beginning in the related information I saw beforehand. I think there's a good chance that we all fell a little bit into overestimating her Japanese popularity as well. With limited information we made more conclusions than perhaps we should have. Again, Japan has always been a hotly contested topic when it comes to Smash speculation as to the validity of said information presented.

Finally, I don't think many of us would have seen Ashley as nearly as viable as a newcomer if we hadn't looked at the Nintendo Badge Arcade. As heavily featured as she was in that, I think two things to keep in mind is that the arcade also came from the WarioWare developers, so you've got a little bit of developer bias pushing her into something. Not a bad thing at all, and I imagined it certainly helped push her image as a Nintendo character. But I do wonder just how much of an effect that really had on her popularity and status in Japan. She was indeed pushed that hard with the game, but was that push truly a lasting impact? Again, that's information I'm mostly certain we lack enough research on to really determine.

That's sort of my take on the Ashley situation as a fan who began to see things get a little out of control with how certain people were becoming on her inclusion. Especially once the disconfirmation happened, I really started putting my thoughts on the matter together to start looking at why she may not have been included. I think when you start to add things up, she may not have been on Sakurai's radar in the way a lot of us thought she was, and that's always going to be the most important thing at the end of the day. That's part of the reason I also see her deconfirmation in the Direct as it was. I think there is a very high probability that she got added into the Direct once Sakurai learned of her growth in popularity late in the game. Just to get it over with. Sakurai has done a lot of quick bandaid ripping to let us down already. I could see that as just another way of his trying to let down the fans the best he knew how.

I also wonder, if a Rhythm Heaven rep gets in there may have been some precedent to that Rhythm Microgame character from an unrepresented series over another WarioWare character. I actually lean towards that as a huge possibility as well. And as much as I love Ashley and WarioWare, I could see that argument being entirely valid.

I am indeed disappointed she isn't in the base game (and I do think we should exclusively look at things as such). She would have been a great character, and I stand by the belief we need more magic users in Smash as well. I can't deny that we've managed to achieve a lot in a little amount of time though, we made a character with a limited backing one of the future top contenders in Smash. I understand the disappointment for now, but don't devalue that reality we've helped to make. Especially if we keep supporting the character in the future, she has a chance to show up in Smash someday.
I was thinking that her surge in popularity and hype came a bit too late as well. Especially compared to K.Rool and Ridley.

This hype will hopefully be noticed by the smash team, and they will hopefully consider her for DLC or future installments.

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking that her surge in popularity and hype came a bit too late as well. Especially compared to K.Rool and Ridley.

This hype will hopefully be noticed by the smash team, and they will hopefully consider her for DLC or future installments.
Yeah i agree, most supporters including me showed up after E3 when she wasn’t shown and unfortunately Sakurai can’t predict what character will jump to popularity. Ridley and K Rool appeared much earlier. Maybe if we appeared early but we have increased her chances and popularity. Be proud.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

But think about it, Ashley was plausible to a ton of non-Ashley fans that she would be playable alongside legends such as K. Rool and Simon Belmont, who at the time, have not gotten in the game yet.

I will say it again for emphasis: Our Little Witch was a contender alongside K Rool and the Vampire Slayer himself as a plausible newcomer spot in many eyes. That bodes well for her future as a character if she can quickly grow like she did.

Last edited:

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
But think about it, Ashley was plausible to a ton of non-Ashley fans that she would be playable alongside K. Rool and Simon Belmont at a time where they have not gotten in the game yet.

I will say it again for emphasis: Our Little Witch was a contender alongside K Rool and the Vampire Slayer himself as a plausible newcomer spot in many eyes. That bodes well for her future as a character if she can quickly grow like she did.
All we need to do now is sustain the support. We got this.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah i agree, most supporters including me showed up after E3 when she wasn’t shown and unfortunately Sakurai can’t predict what character will jump to popularity. Ridley and K Rool appeared much earlier. Maybe if we appeared early but we have increased her chances and popularity. Be proud.
In my eyes, I think it's also why we shouldn't stop. DLC isn't set in stone just yet and the only game with DLC is Smash 4 so the assist trophy pattern isn't a definite rule. The ballot was very likely the very beginnings of Ultimate's pre-production meaning that any super popular characters already in a role (Ridley) can be changed to playable in the very next installment not too long after. In my mind, any potential ballot that comes for this game will have a much greater impact on the current game rather than a future one (As was the case with Smash 4's ballot). So it's much more important to have Ashley's star continue to rise before launch.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
All we need to do now is sustain the support. We got this.
Seriously, think about it. Ashley managed to almost drum up enough support alongside K Rool whose fans have been supporting him for nearly two decades. What K Rool did in almost two decades, Ashley was able to complete in two months. If that does not bode well for her future then nothing will.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
IThe biggest thing I think is that Ashley is a victim of the Smash hype cycle. This fan base grew exponentially in a tiny time frame, we damn near eclipsed King K. Rool (A character who has became the main contender of Smash speculation for basically the last two cycles) in the period of about two months from E3 2018. That's a huge accomplishment to be noted of any fan base, and bodes well for her support in the future. I think with that came a lot of attention and band-wagon supporters too (I want to note, I in no way see that as a bad thing). With that attention she became the center of an Echo chamber of support. That many voices tends to have that effect on this site for better and for worse as well. It makes the confirmations all the more exciting, and the disconfirmations all the more tragically heartbreaking.

The first couple wave or so of Ashley badges and her first theme are the only ones that overlapped with the creation of the project plan, that's a factor I pointed out way back in this thread. Regardless of whether Ashley got a major bump from the badge arcade or not, there's a chance that Sakurai wasn't aware of it. Even if it did give her a bump, I never got that she was Japan's Ridley. Sure she's more popular in Japan than every other region, but Ridley is way bigger here compared to she is there.

It still baffles me how so many people latched onto her. It was a dream come true and I hope it wasn't just a "capturing lightning in a bottle" moment and she'll actually get this kind of support when DLC or Smash 6 rolls around. I'll be 23 probably when the next smash cycle comes, hopefully by then I'll be able to contribute a lot more to her hype with original content.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The first couple wave or so of Ashley badges and her first theme are the only ones that overlapped with the creation of the project plan, that's a factor I pointed out way back in this thread. Regardless of whether Ashley got a major bump from the badge arcade or not, there's a chance that Sakurai wasn't aware of it. Even if it did give her a bump, I never got that she was Japan's Ridley. Sure she's more popular in Japan than every other region, but Ridley is way bigger here compared to she is there.

It still baffles me how so many people latched onto her. It was a dream come true and I hope it wasn't just a "capturing lightning in a bottle" moment and she'll actually get this kind of support when DLC or Smash 6 rolls around. I'll be 23 probably when the next smash cycle comes, hopefully by then I'll be able to contribute a lot more to her hype with original content.
I would consider her Japan's Little Mac, personally.

ToilerMoiler

Smash Apprentice
It's absolutley crazy how much support was mustered up in a small time frame, and I am grateful to be part of it, but it seems that support was just a bit too late.

I will admit, i probably had my hopes a little high for her moment to shine after finding this thread. But don't worry, it was anything but a bad thing. It has made me appreciate her character and the WarioWare series more than i originally did. Ashley still has my full support, I've never felt so attached to a character like this before (besides Shantae but it was nothing like this). Whether it be DLC or Smash 6, Ashley's time will come.

I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to make characters that are ATs fully playable either, but probably make it so the AT won't spawn [character] if they are being played. This stuff kinda has already happended. Duck Hunt and Toon Link double as playable and background characters. And just recently, Rathalos is both an AT and a boss. Doesn't sound too farfetched for a playable status. Could just be the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorying but nothing is impossible in the mind of Sakurai. Ridley, K. Rool and even Cloud are prime examples

In the end, playable or assist, Ashley is still our favorite witch. Never give up on her

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also another thing guys, buy Gold, buying it will really show Nintendo that there’s interest in the series, so if you see a copy pick it up, it’s a fantastic game.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's absolutley crazy how much support was mustered up in a small time frame, and I am grateful to be part of it, but it seems that support was just a bit too late.

I will admit, i probably had my hopes a little high for her moment to shine after finding this thread. But don't worry, it was anything but a bad thing. It has made me appreciate her character and the WarioWare series more than i originally did. Ashley still has my full support, I've never felt so attached to a character like this before (besides Shantae but it was nothing like this). Whether it be DLC or Smash 6, Ashley's time will come.

I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to make characters that are ATs fully playable either, but probably make it so the AT won't spawn [character] if they are being played. This stuff kinda has already happended. Duck Hunt and Toon Link double as playable and background characters. And just recently, Rathalos is both an AT and a boss. Doesn't sound too farfetched for a playable status. Could just be the tinfoil hat conspiracy theorying but nothing is impossible in the mind of Sakurai. Ridley, K. Rool and even Cloud are prime examples

In the end, playable or assist, Ashley is still our favorite witch. Never give up on her
Ashley's always been a matter of When in my eyes rather than an if. This is something that very few characters get. K. Rool and Ridley both fell into this designation. Really, I just hope it's sooner rather than later. I'd be really bummed if she missed out on the Ultimate Smash as I still have that sliver of hope that the support will work just to get her in as DLC.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I'm still going to push for DLC. I remain hopeful. I believe Sakurai might actually make one of the AT's in this game playable for DLC as a way of softening the blow for future installments for Smash. If that were to happen people wont freak out to the extent they have been in the past when they see a character they wanted appear as an AT knowing that their is hope they got a second chance for DLC.

We left a huge mark here that can't be ignored. If Ashley doesn't make DLC I'll still hold anticipation knowing we'll be the overlords on Smashboards who can't be stopped for Smash 6.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
We also got this nice little community out of it. I don't know about the Krystal one, but they seemed to have fallen off after her deconfirmation. Hopefully we can still have our ties and put Kyon's discord to good use.

Also another thing guys, buy Gold, buying it will really show Nintendo that there’s interest in the series, so if you see a copy pick it up, it’s a fantastic game.
I did not expect putting as much time as I did in that game. I've put more time into than I have probably all my Switch games except for Mario Kart. It's great and I'm excited for a potential Switch Warioware.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
We also got this nice little community out of it. I don't know about the Krystal one, but they seemed to have fallen off after her deconfirmation. Hopefully we can still have our ties and put Kyon's discord to good use.
I feel keeping this thread active is going to help tremendously. It's notable for several reasons, and keeping it in the public eye will do great for the support.

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
As somebody who has been a fan of Warioware and Ashley in particular for over a decade it makes me happy and excited beyond belief that she has gotten so many new fans and supporters.

If Nintendo keeps on using Ashley as much as they are now, whose to say she won’t appear in Mario Kart or Tennis or maybe even smash In the near future.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's unfortunate the Krystal thread had good momentum up until E3. All AT's character threads should push for DLC.

Unfortunately for Krystal, she doesn't have the certainty for a future of always being relevant. That's an Advantage that Ashley (and Waluigi) will have and that's why I think it will keep us ahead of the competition.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Yeah, atleast active. We don't have to be on Isaac's level since they're probably gonna have a pretty fast pace now that they're the top dog.

As somebody who has been a fan of Warioware and Ashley in particular for over a decade it makes me happy and excited beyond belief that she has gotten so many new fans and supporters.

If Nintendo keeps on using Ashley as much as they are now, whose to say she won’t appear in Mario Kart or Tennis or maybe even smash In the near future.
This is what I'm most hopeful for. Mario is sitting on a goldmine of amazing designs. I don't know if Mario Kart 9 is gonna be a thing on the switch but hopefully they swap the koopalings with some Warioware reps.

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
This is what I'm most hopeful for. Mario is sitting on a goldmine of amazing designs. I don't know if Mario Kart 9 is gonna be a thing on the switch but hopefully they swap the koopalings with some Warioware reps.
Nintendo has also mentioned that there will be more updates to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in the future, so maybe they'll do more DLC too? If so, Ashley could be thrown into one of those.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
All we can do is continually support her and show our support by being positive and outspoken in a helpful and kind light.

Giving up hope does no good. We can do this.

Who knows maybe shell be DLC

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
All we can really hope for is that Sakurai is willing to look at Assist Trophies for DLC. I think the Ashley fanbase has made a big enough sound, and Warioware Gold, as well as her continued presence in the Badge Arcade after the project plan was done are good signs for her chances. So in the event that he looks at Assist Trophies that are already in the game to promote, both Ashley would be decently high on his radar. We should however remember that the scenario where he promotes Assist Trophies to playable characters in the same game is rather unlikely. We should also remember that DLC characters who's chances were lowered due to the timing of the project plan like Springman, Rex & Pyra, and Crash will probably have higher priority than Assist Trophies. Should also not that since Ashley is an immobile and unhittable Assist Trophy, she'll have a lot more work to be done than say Waluigi who already has a lot of animations for him finished.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
All we can really hope for is that Sakurai is willing to look at Assist Trophies for DLC. I think the Ashley fanbase has made a big enough sound, and Warioware Gold, as well as her continued presence in the Badge Arcade after the project plan was done are good signs for her chances. So in the event that he looks at Assist Trophies that are already in the game to promote, both Ashley would be decently high on his radar. We should however remember that the scenario where he promotes Assist Trophies to playable characters in the same game is rather unlikely. We should also remember that DLC characters who's chances were lowered due to the timing of the project plan like Springman, Rex & Pyra, and Crash will probably have higher priority than Assist Trophies. Should also not that since Ashley is an immobile and unhittable Assist Trophy, she'll have a lot more work to be done than say Waluigi who already has a lot of animations for him finished.
The assist models are all low poly anyway, they'd have to be built up from scratch regardless. Either way, We just have to make some noise to change his mind and (fortunately) Ashley's Assist Trophy effect is something that can easily be ported to another character like Kamek.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok... I might be going into conspiracy theories here, but something has been bugging me since seeing her in the direct. It was at first with them not showing her name, when every other assist shown for the first time. So I went back and looked at her.. then I had to look at her in Smash for wii U, when I noticed something.

Her eyes are a different color. Heck, she seems to have gotten a completely different and new model. No other returning assist trophy I believe has gotten that either. So why did they do it just for her? Actually, 1 other AT in Smash 4 got a new model... Dark Samus.

Now, full tin foil hat time guys... what if this wasn't showing off an Ashley assist trophy... but of another assist trophy that turns into characters that are no longer assist trophies and does their moves. A dopleganger character, like Dooplis from Paper mario or something, that then transforms into old assist trophies as its gimick. A way to keep the old assist trophies in the game without removing or losing their effects. Sakurai seems to be focusing on keeping as much as possible from old games, so this would fit. Other characters it would transform into would be Little mac and Dark samus, and if things go as it seems Isabelle and Shadow. Then also if in DLC Sakurai turns more assist trophies into characters, then they are removed from the normal list, and placed into this characters assist trophy.

I know, this is out there, and I may be pulling at straws, but the way they revealed Ashley, plus her being the only returning assist with a fully new and updated model just seems completely off and I feel should be noted.

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Ok... I might be going into conspiracy theories here, but something has been bugging me since seeing her in the direct. It was at first with them not showing her name, when every other assist shown for the first time. So I went back and looked at her.. then I had to look at her in Smash for wii U, when I noticed something.

Her eyes are a different color. Heck, she seems to have gotten a completely different and new model. No other returning assist trophy I believe has gotten that either. So why did they do it just for her? Actually, 1 other AT in Smash 4 got a new model... Dark Samus.

Now, full tin foil hat time guys... what if this wasn't showing off an Ashley assist trophy... but of another assist trophy that turns into characters that are no longer assist trophies and does their moves. A dopleganger character, like Dooplis from Paper mario or something, that then transforms into old assist trophies as its gimick. A way to keep the old assist trophies in the game without removing or losing their effects. Sakurai seems to be focusing on keeping as much as possible from old games, so this would fit. Other characters it would transform into would be Little mac and Dark samus, and if things go as it seems Isabelle and Shadow. Then also if in DLC Sakurai turns more assist trophies into characters, then they are removed from the normal list, and placed into this characters assist trophy.

I know, this is out there, and I may be pulling at straws, but the way they revealed Ashley, plus her being the only returning assist with a fully new and updated model just seems completely off and I feel should be noted.
Please. Just let it go. You're only making it more painful for yourself.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Please. Just let it go. You're only making it more painful for yourself.
Oh, I am not gonna let my hopes get up to much. I just found this odd. out of all the returning assists, only Ashley has a full new model, and its the only one that didn't get a name on it.

Oh, and I wasn't counting the Pong on's now background changing color as a full new model.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Oh, I am not gonna let my hopes get up to much. I just found this odd. out of all the returning assists, only Ashley has a full new model, and its the only one that didn't get a name on it.

Oh, and I wasn't counting the Pong on's now background changing color as a full new model.
There's plenty odd about Ashley's appearance in the direct, but it's better to focus on Support. If a conspiracy is brewing then great. We'll get her regardless of what we do. But we have to act as if her chances at base roster are dead so that we can drum up enough support for her to be a DLC candidate. We need to focus on the long game here. Regardless, I do appreciate the enthusiasm, especially because I want to believe the conspiracy theories. I've been burned by that before, so never again.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
There's plenty odd about Ashley's appearance in the direct, but it's better to focus on Support. If a conspiracy is brewing then great. We'll get her regardless of what we do. But we have to act as if her chances at base roster are dead so that we can drum up enough support for her to be a DLC candidate.
Understandable. I wasn't saying we should stop saying we want her, or to not support other characters having a chance. I just wanted to point out these very odd things.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Understandable. I wasn't saying we should stop saying we want her, or to not support other characters having a chance. I just wanted to point out these very odd things.
I apologize if I come off as harsh. I edited my post to delve further into my reasoning. I've been burned by conspiracy theories before (Ridley supporter here, so that should give you enough context) and it's not something I want to wish upon anyone, let alone someone in the same character support camp as me.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I apologize if I come off as harsh. I edited my post to delve further into my reasoning. I've been burned by conspiracy theories before (Ridley supporter here, so that should give you enough context) and it's not something I want to wish upon anyone, let alone someone in the same character support camp as me.
I get it. Last thing I want is to start a full on conspiracy theory and then get disproven, as many ridley fans can attest i'm sure you know. It was bugging me all night and I had to document and post it here to get it out of my mind and hear other guys thoughts on the matter

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
I think that Sakurai changed her design due to it being changed in the games as well. We know how much time and attention the smash team puts into representing characters properly, so he probably felt that fans would like her more recent look better.

And I will say that I like her new Assist Trophy model more than her old one.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think that Sakurai changed her design due to it being changed in the games as well. We know how much time and attention the smash team puts into representing characters properly, so he probably felt that fans would like her more recent look better.

And I will say that I like her new Assist Trophy model more than her old one.
It's closer to her classic design really rather than the current Warioware Gold Design.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Hello guys. I have much to say. But later.

Now that we are in the topic of conspiracy theories, I have one of my own, that I think really makes sense. No, I don't mean that she will be playable, she won't be and probably not for the first few DLC waves.

Several of you have noticed the odd handling of Ashley's reveal. I agree, it's very off.

Here is what I think....

Ashley's Assist Trophy was a late addition to the game. She is no where to be seen in the website. She is not in wario's video or pictures. Compare that to Krystal or Jeff, where they accompany their main character. In the first direct, AT were being mentioned alongside their protagonist, but she was absent there as well.

As you guys noticed, Ashley was dropped in the mid of the direct after the AT show case with out giving any attention to her. Also note how she has no little cinematic gameplay short to go along her reveal, all other ATs in the first and second direct had one. Except Ashley.

Why?... I think the answer is: her AT was a late addition to the game. Her AT was not ready back when the first direct and website content was being created. She was literally not in the game at that stage. So all these prerelease content was lacking her. After Ashley's AT was done, she got added shoddily in the second direct rather than the first one, just to get done with it and disconfirm her.

Why would Ashley's AT take so long to make? Well, all I am gonna say: I think Sakurai wasn't intending in using her as an AT at first. But as the project progressed he decided to add her in last minute. Which means Sakurai sees no future in her as a DLC player either. (But we can change that.... we will change that...)

That's what I think.

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Interesting theory, but I think the lowkey reveal is more easily explained as them wanting to "rip the bandage off early" as others have put it.
She was likely always an AT and probably meant to be revealed later (explaining why she isn't mentioned on the site), but after noticing the explosion of support for her after E3, they likely slapped her in the Direct in an attempt to let her fans down sooner rather than later.

Regardless, I plan on doing whatever I can to make it clear that there is a demand for her to be playable.

Last edited:

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
Interesting theory, but I think the lowkey reveal is more easily explained as them wanting to "rip the bandage off early" as others have put it.
She was likely always an AT and probably meant to be revealed later (explaining why she isn't mentioned on the site), but after noticing the explosion of support for her after E3, they likely slapped her in the Direct an attempt to let her fans down sooner rather than later.

Regardless, I plan on doing whatever I can to make it clear that there is a demand for her to be playable.
That also makes sense, although I don't understand why Sakurai would feel the need to be so secretive about it. ATs like Krystal were just thrown away in trailers and photos. There is nothing special about Ashley that would warrant saving her up for later, being that she is only an AT and nothing more.

Unless there is something crazy like a Kat/Anna reveal to be paired with but.... No. Not gonna happen lol.

But yeah, just a thought I had.

Top Bottom