• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Kariocean

Smash Rookie
Super tinfoil hat time- Ashley will be play character and assist trophy at the same time.

Saiko18

Smash Rookie
Oh true, but I guess that's a special case because he's been gone since brawl.
In the E3 Direct, each assist trophy shown (even returning trophies like Waluigi, Midna, etc.) had his or her name listed at the bottom of the screen, if I'm not mistaken. And those assist trophies have entries on the Smash site.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Pretty sure the release date being pushed back was because of Sonic. Not sure if Ashley would be given the same attention as Mario's "rival." Wolf/Jigglypuff/Toon Link were late additions because they don't appear in the story, but I don't think they were what pushed the release back.
Still, just thought I'd note that. She still may have a shot. A VERY slim shot, to be in before DLC.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
In the E3 Direct, each assist trophy shown (even returning trophies like Waluigi, Midna, etc.) had his or her name listed at the bottom of the screen, if I'm not mistaken. And those assist trophies have entries on the Smash site.
True, but that was the initial reveal that warranted showing returning trophies. This recent direct only showed new ones sans gray fox. There are several trophies that we are aware of through demo footage that also aren't on the assist trophy section. There's also a little "and more" tab that suggests the assist we see there aren't all that there is.

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys, I know we all really want Ashley to be in the game. But you gotta just accept that she is going to be an assist trophy at the time the game launches.

We can hope for things to change when DLC comes around, but please don’t fool yourself into thinking she has a shot at the base roster. It’ll cause more pain.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Discussing conspiracy theories and all is in good fun, but let's not make that a focus. Ashley may not have been "properly" introduced as an Assist trophy for various reasons. Maybe Ashley (Warioware) is an assist while Ashley (Crazy Galaxy) is playable. Regardless, if any conspiracy theory is in the works, it'll happen with whether or not we discuss it. We should be acting as if the game is already out and we're campaigning for DLC. We Start early and she gets support and Sakurai may have a change of heart. The Earlier the better since once the game is close to going gold, they'll have DLC picks in mind already.

We need things like Art, Moveset concepts on big channels, Brawl/Wii U mods etc. Support is what is needed the most right now.

Saiko18

Smash Rookie
Ok guys, I know we all really want Ashley to be in the game. But you gotta just accept that she is going to be an assist trophy at the time the game launches.

We can hope for things to change when DLC comes around, but please don’t fool yourself into thinking she has a shot at the base roster. It’ll cause more pain.
Agreed. We might just be overthinking things.

WiredRM

Smash Cadet
I just ordered a copy of WarioWare Gold. Until a ballot of some sort for Smash DLC comes out, the only thing I can do is vote with my wallet!

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Why Ashley, why didn't you pick up the phone when Sakurai called you? ;_:
Must have assumed Wario was trying to call her back. I probably would have tried avoiding the spam, too. Good ole Wario, always ruining everything. #BlameWario

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Pretty sure the release date being pushed back was because of Sonic. Not sure if Ashley would be given the same attention as Mario's "rival." Wolf/Jigglypuff/Toon Link were late additions because they don't appear in the story, but I don't think they were what pushed the release back.
Not to mention they couldn't do DLC in those days.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Discussing conspiracy theories and all is in good fun, but let's not make that a focus. Ashley may not have been "properly" introduced as an Assist trophy for various reasons. Maybe Ashley (Warioware) is an assist while Ashley (Crazy Galaxy) is playable. Regardless, if any conspiracy theory is in the works, it'll happen with whether or not we discuss it. We should be acting as if the game is already out and we're campaigning for DLC. We Start early and she gets support and Sakurai may have a change of heart. The Earlier the better since once the game is close to going gold, they'll have DLC picks in mind already.

We need things like Art, Moveset concepts on big channels, Brawl/Wii U mods etc. Support is what is needed the most right now.
I would honestly commission a hacker to put Ashley in either PM or Sm4sh if there was someone like that. Do any of you guys know any who does that sort of thing?

sayaka11

Smash Rookie
True, but that was the initial reveal that warranted showing returning trophies. This recent direct only showed new ones sans gray fox. There are several trophies that we are aware of through demo footage that also aren't on the assist trophy section. There's also a little "and more" tab that suggests the assist we see there aren't all that there is.
Just to add to Saiko18's point, I think what he's getting at is the fact that every AT that was shown in a direct (either at E3 or yesterday) has an entry on the site with the exception of Ashley, which is a mixture of new and returning. The AT's that appeared in the demo don't have entries because they weren't "formally introduced" in a direct.

With that being said, I still don't really think this has any significance. Sakurai may have just placed her there as a last-minute addition to the AT section of the direct.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
We have to all stay positive tho.
K Rool eventually got in. Ridley eventually got in. Chrom eventually got in.

We have to all keep pushing for her and hoping for her. Nothing else we can really do.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
(Originally contained picture of anonymous person threatening Sakurai.)

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
She'll get in eventually. If Waluigi breaks the DLC barrier we're completely set. Not worth being upset over.

Saiko18

Smash Rookie

Hey, whoever this is? If you're in this thread, KNOCK IT OFF.
Dang, that's how Waluigi fans were reacting. Let's hope these types of comments are kept to an absolute minimum (preferably none at all). These comments make our fanbase look bad.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Hey, whoever this is? If you're in this thread, KNOCK IT OFF.
If you snagged the picture, you're best off telling them to chill on twitter and maybe directing them here to help with the continued support. It'll take a lot of work to get the support noticed, but I'm sure it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Change of plans, not gonna make /r/Warioware sub since /r/Wario kinda already covers that and it would be pretty disrespectful to them. If you got any thing you want to discuss to help not just Ashley fandom, but the Warioware community grow, I recommend participating over there. I will be doing so as well as focusing my time on getting better at art.

Here's the sub for those curious: https://www.reddit.com/r/Wario/

If you snagged the picture, you're best off telling them to chill on twitter and maybe directing them here to help with the continued support. It'll take a lot of work to get the support noticed, but I'm sure it can be done.
I agree. It's easy to ridicule, but perhaps giving them a hand would be a more productive measure in the end.

Last edited:

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
I didn't snag the picture, I found it pre-snagged elsewhere.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yeah, as sad as it is that our favorite character wasn't in Smash, I think it's safe to say that murder isn't an appropriate course of action. One might say that murder is NEVER the answer, but I'm sure I'm only preaching to the choir.

I've been trying to find a way to keep an eye on the sales of WarioWare Gold, which would be a nice catalyst for introducing more people to Ashley. According to GoNintendo's article about 3DS eShop sales, WWG was only second to Pokemon Crystal. Don't remember if they had numbers or not.

What sucks is that there isn't a way to register a physical copy of WWG with MyNintendo and then take the obligatory "satisfaction survey" like Club Nintendo did ... is there? That'd be a great way to make our voices heard. "Yeah, this game is super awesome, Nintendo! Keep 'em coming! Also, that Ashley character is awesome! Put her in more stuff!"

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A good place to start would be to give feedback on Pumpkin Panic. Let Nintendo know how much you like the minigame and would like to see more of it, along with some criticisms if any. It's clear now that Gold was developed far too late to be considered in Ultimate's development, so we've got to look to the future. Not just for Smash, but Ashley as a whole.

Wario was his own character with his own adventures before he founded Warioware, so it stands to reason Ashley must grow into something similar to truly put her in the spotlight and show what she's capable of.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Oh sheesh... well, I hope whoever that person was on Twitter took back what they said or were warned for their behavior as what they said is not okay at all: while you have a right to feel disappointed at something, threatening someone's life over something like this is going way too far.

And as others have said, it paints a bad image on the rest of the fanbase who would never say anything like that.

Last edited:

Abiyahuw

Smash Rookie
Sorry for your loss guys. I wanted Ashley because I thought she’d bring a fresh moveset which I’m more excited for. Don’t care if thr character is obscure or popular, if they bring a great moveset, I’m all in. She seemed like a no brainer, tons of merchandise and promotion as well. Just shook my head when she was shown at the end of the AT showcase.

That being said something feels kind of “off” about this game’s roster pics in certain ways. Ridley and K Rool were always pretty loudly requested characters, but I remember characters like Krystal, Takamaru, Waluigi, and Ashley etc all slowly gaining more support over the Smash series expansion. A lot of these characters are pretty easy to make into characters as they are all owned by Nintendo and have some model work done, but still ignored?

Its like most of the fan request after those two big ones that needed checked off have been easy “echo” character adds. Were there just no resources for new character movesets? And even if that was the case, who are they going to use as DLC if he puts a lot of the people who have been waiting in line in the AT section?

An ARMS and XB2 character are like the only thing I see as DLC if everyone else is an assist.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sorry for your loss guys. I wanted Ashley because I thought she’d bring a fresh moveset which I’m more excited for. Don’t care if thr character is obscure or popular, if they bring a great moveset, I’m all in. She seemed like a no brainer, tons of merchandise and promotion as well. Just shook my head when she was shown at the end of the AT showcase.

That being said something feels kind of “off” about this game’s roster pics in certain ways. Ridley and K Rool were always pretty loudly requested characters, but I remember characters like Krystal, Takamaru, Waluigi, and Ashley etc all slowly gaining more support over the Smash series expansion. A lot of these characters are pretty easy to make into characters as they are all owned by Nintendo and have some model work done, but still ignored?

Its like most of the fan request after those two big ones that needed checked off have been easy “echo” character adds. Were there just no resources for new character movesets? And even if that was the case, who are they going to use as DLC if he puts a lot of the people who have been waiting in line in the AT section?

An ARMS and XB2 character are like the only thing I see as DLC if everyone else is an assist.
Being an assist already proves you aren't ignored, just don't quite see enough star power or moveset potential to be fully playable.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to sound too negative, but I just can't ignore the fact that if one of the ATs are being included as DLC, it's probably gonna be Waluigi.... No offense on Waluigi supporters, but I can't help but think that he is kind of in Ashley's way...

Or maybe I'm just overreacting. Maybe there will be multiple ATs that make it as DLC. Maybe there will be none at all. I really don't know. I'm just a grumpy man on the internet, don't trust me.

Last edited:

Dilliciouz

Smash Cadet
I don't want to sound too negative, but I just can't ignore the fact that if one of the ATs are being included as DLC, it's probably gonna be Waluigi.... No offense on Waluigi supporters, but I can't help but think that he is kind of in Ashley's way...

Or maybe I'm just overreacting. Maybe there will be multiple ATs that make it as DLC. Maybe there will be none at all. I really don't know. I'm just a grumpy man on the internet, don't trust me.
He might add her as DLC to please the japanese audience while adding waluigi character to please the west.

MGRFan

Smash Rookie
"Hey, whoever this is? If you're in this thread, KNOCK IT OFF.
Just made an account to say this, probably won't respond or whatever because I'm just a lurker who wanted to say this. This person, while not the only one, has just ruined Ashley's chances, full stop. Like Waluigi, it's gonna spread that an Ashley fan (and by proxy for some reason, we) wanted to kill Sakurai and ruin the fanbase's chance of being taken seriously. I was so excited, but now the last of my faith is dead.

This fan ruined her chances to enter smash, the fans that'll call ALL OF US homicidal brainlets or whatever will reinforce her being a black sheep and may have her removed due to sensationalism, and thus we'll all be saddened and possibly hated for one person's misdeeds.

Sorry for the pessimism, but I know for a fact this is gonna end badly for all of you as well as me. Here's hoping it doesn't happen, but it probably will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Just made an account to say this, probably won't respond or whatever because I'm just a lurker who wanted to say this. This person, while not the only one, has just ruined Ashley's chances, full stop. Like Waluigi, it's gonna spread that an Ashley fan (and by proxy for some reason, we) wanted to kill Sakurai and ruin the fanbase's chance of being taken seriously. I was so excited, but now the last of my faith is dead.
This fan ruined her chances to enter smash, the fans that'll call ALL OF US homicidal brainlets or whatever will reinforce her being a black sheep and may have her removed due to sensationalism, and thus we'll all be saddened and possibly hated for one person's misdeeds.

Sorry for the pessimism, but I know for a fact this is gonna end badly for all of you as well as me. Here's hoping it doesn't happen, but it probably will.
I'm going to be honest: I don't think one person doing this is going to cause everyone to think we're like this one person. I understand you said there are others that may of already said something like this, but I think Sakurai knows or is aware that we aren't this aggressive compared to the person in this tweet.

I don't think we should be jumping to conclusions just because of a few people saying this: while it's best to stop these tweets by getting them reported, removed, or otherwise calming the person down, we need to keep supporting her if she's going to have a chance. As long we stray away from and don't encourage comments like this (as we haven't ever done these things), we'll be fine.

Last edited:

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
If anything, hopefully we'll still have Mii costumes in Ultimate. We can all still pretend to play as Ashley. That's what I'll do.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Sakurai will ever see this message, so I don't really think it would affect Ashley's chances. Nor do I think he would intentionally spite Ashley's chances based on what I'm sure he would understand is one rabid fan.
The unfortunate fact is that there's always going to be someone who acts like this, especially as a fanbase gets larger. It shouldn't be taken as systemic toxicity. There's not really much we can do to completely prevent people from saying these things away from these Boards. All we can do is, as one of the biggest collections of Smashley fans on the internet, is to set a good example for everyone else. The people who might be inclined to write things like this might be reading what we are posting here. For that reason, we should be careful to watch our tone to help set the tempo for the rest of the fanbase, even if we aren't saying anything this radical.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
FYI, it doesn't matter who posted that message(in the picture). Just report the post. Besides, the picture has uncensored swearing. Please remove it. I'm not going to give a Censor Dodging Infraction due to a special situation here. Also, let's drop this. This is targeting another user. If you find the user on this thread saying it, report that post. Do not reply. We don't want any drama from anyone. Who "started it" would be irrelevant. People participating in drama re causing issues too.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
FYI, it doesn't matter who posted that message(in the picture). Just report the post. Besides, the picture has uncensored swearing. Please remove it. I'm not going to give a Censor Dodging Infraction due to a special situation here. Also, let's drop this. This is targeting another user. If you find the user on this thread saying it, report that post. Do not reply. We don't want any drama from anyone. Who "started it" would be irrelevant. People participating in drama re causing issues too.
Thanks for the warning. I am sincere in saying this.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Been thinking about making a moveset. If I ever get around to making it, I'll be sure to post it here~

Top Bottom