• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Witdamon

Smash Rookie
I used to be that way. It mainly came along the lines of "well there is only so much development time". Later on I learned characters considered for Smash Brothers are like Job Interviews. The character can only get in on their own merits and what they bring to Smash Brothers.
Now I just imagine a bunch of characters stepping into an office to have a formal interview with Sakurai.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Wait?! What?! People who hate Ashley exist?! I just thought they were a myth!
TBH the amount of character hate is really toned down this time. People who don't know Ashley seem to think she would be a cool character choice after explaining who she is and where she's from.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Now I just imagine a bunch of characters stepping into an office to have a formal interview with Sakurai.
Ashley doesn't even bother combing her hair for the interview. She knows she's going to get in anyway because, who has time for girly things like that!

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
These strange creatures, also known as Ashley Haters, are a peculiar bunch. Often complaining about her inclusion in Smash Bros, must of these "haters" spit out random nonsense on why she shouldn't be playable, or call her unimportant. These people fail to research her popularity and just spit out their opinion, basing Ashley on what they alone think.

Just because I have no idea of a character pick doesn't mean they aren't popular or wanted. There are also haters who just hate her for being better recognized by Nintendo, which is pretty wack.

Oh, I don't know there stance on Ashley before she became a break-out character, I joined around 2015, as Ashley's popularity was already off the charts for WarioWare standards

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
These strange creatures, also known as Ashley Haters, are a peculiar bunch. Often complaining about her inclusion in Smash Bros, must of these "haters" spit out random nonsense on why she shouldn't be playable, or call her unimportant. These people fail to research her popularity and just spit out their opinion, basing Ashley on what they alone think.
And now we are National Geographic.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai: What would you say is your great strength?

Ashley: I can rule the world and still finnish all my homework!

Sakurai: OK your in! Welcome to Smash!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Some of my favorite Smash fanworks involve the Smash cast interviewing characters or holding auditions. THis one in particular is my favorite

Last edited:

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai: What would you say is your great strength?

Ashley: I can rule the world and still finnish all my homework!

Sakurai: OK your in! Welcome to Smash!
Ashley still gets in even after demanding two months of vacation!

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Wait?! What?! People who hate Ashley exist?! I just thought they were a myth!
Being someone in the Fire Emblem community, I know what's going on in the mind of those who want to fight against what is popular, especially when they believe the new wave of followers support some varying degrees of degeneracy found in nerd culture. That could be a desire for excessive fanservice, self insertion fantasy, or the indefensible Lolita complexes some people have. That last thing is the assumption being made by these people in the Wario community when they see so many people flock to Ashley, and I believe it's a valid concern to have. It's a shame that Kyon had to get caught in crossfire tho.

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Some of my favorite Smash fanworks involve the Smash cast interviewing characters or holding auditions. THis one in particular is my favorite

I'm not so much of an artist but I feel like people who are able to make comics and memes can really bring in a crowd.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

I shudder to think what they had to do to convince her this time around.

It'll be a lot of fun to see Ashley comics involving the Smashers if she makes it in. Sure, most of them will undoubtedly involve her casting magic on people that annoy her, but that's the joy of it!

Obake

Smash Rookie
That's the spirit! Welcome to the Ashly thread Obake!
thanks! I always been a fan of weird, macabre characters and she's no exception; favorite Warioware character by far. Rooting for her and Bandana Dee.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity, how fast and mobile do you guys expect Ashley to be if she were to get in? Sorry if this has been asked before; I am still catching up.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Out of curiosity, how fast and mobile do you guys expect Ashley to be if she were to get in? Sorry if this has been asked before; I am still catching up.
Well, she is a rather small character, so I think it makes sense for her to be pretty fast in some areas (maybe she has mixed ground and aerial mobility with a slight boost in aerial mobility similar to how amazing Wario's aerial game is?)

Witdamon

Smash Rookie
I expect her to be somewhat like Ness and Lucas because of her size, but maybe slightly faster and lighter.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I'd expect her recovery on a broom to be good. Looking at her AT she's about the same size as Ness, Lucas and, Toon Link. I'd think she'd be about as mobile as them.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Probably like Villager, I'd say.

Slower than Toon Link.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Like others have said, maybe something a bit like Ness/Lucas. Maybe a faster running speed by incorporating broom Red. I'd imagine her to be about as light as those two as well.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Day 3 of July 2018
Warioware Gold's Japanese website has been opened and the prologue is amazing.
If Japan is finally getting some news about Gold then that further convinces me that a US Direct should be coming soon.
Today is a good day.

Earlier in the thread people were talking about Ashley's eye color and I would say I'm in the camp where I like the black eyes that transition in red when casting magic. On the other hand Gold's art direction makes her red eyes look nice compared to Touched where Ashley's eyes look weird.

I'm hoping for some wholesome Bayonetta and Ashley art tbh.
I know of one that already exists.

witch time.jpg

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Even if Ashley gets passed over for another WarioWare character (Which why would they honestly?), I can't wait to see what Sakurai does with a WarioWare character's introduction trailer. There are so many options, art styles, and subtle little pieces of comedy he can include to help make it one of the best reveal trailers for a new character. One of my favorite parts of Smash hype is rewatching those trailers because they're so well done, and I imagine Ashley could get a unique more hand-drawn style to Little Mac which I love. Don't get me wrong, I love CG trailers for these characters, but a trailer done in the WarioWare art style would be amazing.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Even if Ashley gets passed over for another WarioWare character (Which why would they honestly?), I can't wait to see what Sakurai does with a WarioWare character's introduction trailer. There are so many options, art styles, and subtle little pieces of comedy he can include to help make it one of the best reveal trailers for a new character. One of my favorite parts of Smash hype is rewatching those trailers because they're so well done, and I imagine Ashley could get a unique more hand-drawn style to Little Mac which I love. Don't get me wrong, I love CG trailers for these characters, but a trailer done in the WarioWare art style would be amazing.
Little Mac's was in that comic book style, so they're not afraid to branch out from the usual CGI. I'd say it'd be a lot less likely if they still had individual newcomer posters since they could just get somebody to represent the art style that way, but now that we just have one giant poster, I could totally see them using it. It's synonymous with the entire series so it'd almost feel weird if they didn't have it. At that rate, they could include the other WarioWare characters in the trailer perhaps reacting to Ashley getting an invitation.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I expect her to be around Toon Link's speed tier since she's like the Toon Zelda we never had. She would be floaty and have some interesting aerial mobility options with her broom and being able to turn her wand into a parasol to float like Peach. I think those would be fitting and interesting movement choices for Ashley.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Little Mac's was in that comic book style, so they're not afraid to branch out from the usual CGI. I'd say it'd be a lot less likely if they still had individual newcomer posters since they could just get somebody to represent the art style that way, but now that we just have one giant poster, I could totally see them using it. It's synonymous with the entire series so it'd almost feel weird if they didn't have it. At that rate, they could include the other WarioWare characters in the trailer perhaps reacting to Ashley getting an invitation.
Several of Smash 4's trailers were done in a different style. Little Mac's was one of them and Palutena and Robin/Lucina were both done in styles that were close to their games as well. Personally, I'd like a mixture. Something like the intro of her Game and Wario introduction but it turns to CG after she transfers herself to the world of Smash or something.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Several of Smash 4's trailers were done in a different style. Little Mac's was one of them and Palutena and Robin/Lucina were both done in styles that were close to their games as well. Personally, I'd like a mixture. Something like the intro of her Game and Wario introduction but it turns to CG after she transfers herself to the world of Smash or something.
Oh yeah, how could I forget the one that got everybody wishing Smash could be an anime and the one where Captain Falcon was straight up in Fire Emblem?

The WarioWare style would definitely be the biggest departure from CGI thus far, and it'd get me hopeful that we'd catch brief looks into how a couple of Smash characters would look in it.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Always such good vibes in this thread

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
And those good vibes is what drives me to come back to this thread.

Top Bottom