• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
I went back to check out the old Ashley Brawl thread. 78 pages of Ashley support! What's funny is people started thinking Ashley was likely due to her song as a Dojo update one day. The thread gets depressing at the end...

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I went back to check out the old Ashley Brawl thread. 78 pages of Ashley support! What's funny is people started thinking Ashley was likely due to her song as a Dojo update one day. The thread gets depressing at the end...
It was a different time, when Smash's song selection was typically pretty limited. The insane influx of new music probably had people on the edge of their seats for a number of characters. I'm sure there was a time when Porky from Mother was thought to have a legitimate chance due to his theme getting a highlight on the Smash Dojo. (Granted, he had a pretty big role as one of Brawl's few boss battles, but no playability).

As I'm sure everyone is aware, things are different now. The gap between Smash 4 and Ultimate was incredibly significant for Ashley, no speculation required. It's just a matter of whether that will translate to Smash or not.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Dang, I thought it was rare for me to think she had a chance before Sm4sh; I had no she had that much support even before Brawl.

How many pages do you all think this thread will have once all is said and done? Assuming the worst doesn't happen soon... I'm thinking 60 pages.

Last edited:

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
The day before the Smash E3 Direct I drew Ashley and Red, it was more of me thinking what her pose could look like on the character selection screen.
Oh my gosh thats super adorable and still baddass. Good job.

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Being the third installment of the series, people still didn't have an entirely good grasp of what to look for in a character likely for Smash. After 4 installments we have a much wider view to connect the dots.

Wario debuted in the reveal trailer in his WarioWare outfit. The WarioWare stage and the music made a second WarioWare character look possible, especially since the WarioWare series was in its peak prime at that time after the release of Touched and Smooth Moves.

When the debate came to ask the question who would the next Wario series character be if a Wario character was added? The biggest thing going against Ashley then was Mona or possibly even Kat & Ana. People thought Ashley, being a magic user, had good potential over the other cast.

Brawl speculation went from E3 2006 to the games Japanese release in January 2008 giving it roughly 18 months of discussion. I'm not sure when the WarioWare rep idea during Brawl speculation took off. Possibly when the WarioWare stage was revealed. None the less, that gave them plenty more time to build up the Ashley thread compared to us. This thread didn't take off until after E3 which gives us only 6 months at maximum to build this thread. If Ashley is revealed before then I guess we all ascend to Nirvana.

Although, 78 pages is more compared to most speculated characters for Brawl. It proves Ashley wasn't taken lightly even back then. What baffles me is Geno getting 448 pages. I was surprised Sakurai admitted after Smash 4 DLC he considered Geno for Brawl. There was no evidence towards Geno's inclusion at the time. For that reason, Geno's the perfect case study of how artificial hype inflates the public's perception. But I guess the outcry was enough to reach Sakurai's attention and compensate with a Mii outfit.

Going back to Ashley, I tried looking at her Smash 4 speculation thread but somehow all of it got erased. I was around back then but, Ashley was a character on my subconscious. I do remember her getting a noticeable amount of attention but, I wouldn't say she was a heavy hitter. Her AT reveal in January 2014 eliminated her in the middle of speculation so that cut off the public's ability to invest further hype into Ashley. I do recall a backlash over Ashley. Not anywhere to the levels of today's Waluigi but I do think Sakurai took note of it.

I always kind of thought of the Mii fighters as an apology from Sakurai. Seeing Ashley's Mii outfit made me think he developed a soft spot for her.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Being the third installment of the series, people still didn't have an entirely good grasp of what to look for in a character likely for Smash. After 4 installments we have a much wider view to connect the dots.

Wario debuted in the reveal trailer in his WarioWare outfit. The WarioWare stage and the music made a second WarioWare character look possible, especially since the WarioWare series was in its peak prime at that time after the release of Touched and Smooth Moves.

When the debate came to ask the question who would the next Wario series character be if a Wario character was added? The biggest thing going against Ashley then was Mona or possibly even Kat & Ana. People thought Ashley, being a magic user, had good potential over the other cast.

Brawl speculation went from E3 2006 to the games Japanese release in January 2008 giving it roughly 18 months of discussion. I'm not sure when the WarioWare rep idea during Brawl speculation took off. Possibly when the WarioWare stage was revealed. None the less, that gave them plenty more time to build up the Ashley thread compared to us. This thread didn't take off until after E3 which gives us only 6 months at maximum to build this thread. If Ashley is revealed before then I guess we all ascend to Nirvana.

Although, 78 pages is more compared to most speculated characters for Brawl. It proves Ashley wasn't taken lightly even back then. What baffles me is Geno getting 448 pages. I was surprised Sakurai admitted after Smash 4 DLC he considered Geno for Brawl. There was no evidence towards Geno's inclusion at the time. For that reason, Geno's the perfect case study of how artificial hype inflates the public's perception. But I guess the outcry was enough to reach Sakurai's attention and compensate with a Mii outfit.

Going back to Ashley, I tried looking at her Smash 4 speculation thread but somehow all of it got erased. I was around back then but, Ashley was a character on my subconscious. I do remember her getting a noticeable amount of attention but, I wouldn't say she was a heavy hitter. Her AT reveal in January 2014 eliminated her in the middle of speculation so that cut off the public's ability to invest further hype into Ashley. I do recall a backlash over Ashley. Not anywhere to the levels of today's Waluigi but I do think Sakurai took note of it.

I always kind of thought of the Mii fighters as an apology from Sakurai. Seeing Ashley's Mii outfit made me think he developed a soft spot for her.
How much support did Kat & Ana and Mona have compared to Ashley? Was Ashley even the most popular at the time like she is now? Because if not, in retrospect, Mona would've had the best chances of getting in. The Mona support thread brings up a good point that her moveset would represent Warioware the best.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
I'd Agree Mona would represent the zaniness of Warioware better, I don't really think thats too important however considering Wario himself has a Zany warioware esque Moveset.

Ashley in Smash is more than anything representing herself, as well as the series. What I mean by that is she has fans who love her from warioware itself, but she also, crazy enough, has a ton of fans who have never even played a Warioware game.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
While the board is on a fan art kick, I thought I'd share my drawing I did when I was thinking about Smash newcomers earlier this year. I'm not big into digital art, so I had to snap a pic with my phone, mind you, but here it is. Hope you all like it.

Attachments

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'd Agree Mona would represent the zaniness of Warioware better, I don't really think thats too important however considering Wario himself has a Zany warioware esque Moveset.

Ashley in Smash is more than anything representing herself, as well as the series. What I mean by that is she has fans who love her from warioware itself, but she also, crazy enough, has a ton of fans who have never even played a Warioware game.
Mona's Zaniness would make her more of a 'hammerspace character' like G&W and the villager. Ashley's spells can actually represnt some of the zany gameplay as well. Imagine if some of the special moves had lingering effects that acted like microgames? Like if her range was better from wiggling the stick left and right, etc. A lot of the WarioWare characters arr naturally zany.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
*raises hand*

That's me. I have a bet with myself that I'll get Warioware Gold if she's in Smash and I intend to fulfill it. On another forum, I've seen a guy describe it rather accurately, Ashley's popularity transcends Warioware at this point.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Mona's Zaniness would make her more of a 'hammerspace character' like G&W and the villager. Ashley's spells can actually represnt some of the zany gameplay as well. Imagine if some of the special moves had lingering effects that acted like microgames? Like if her range was better from wiggling the stick left and right, etc. A lot of the WarioWare characters arr naturally zany.
Oh that's something I didn't consider. If her moveset was very analogue like Warioware then that would be one way to subtly represent her series. Not to mention the potential for transformations, though I think that would just translate to giving characters status like invisibility, metal, mega, mini, lipstick, bunny hood.

Also, Ashuree, If you can I would like to be added to the list of supporters for Ashley that you've been compiling.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
*raises hand*

That's me. I have a bet with myself that I'll get Warioware Gold if she's in Smash and I intend to fulfill it. On another forum, I've seen a guy describe it rather accurately, Ashley's popularity transcends Warioware at this point.
Well I don't think anyone can really blame you. It's kinda like how people can enjoy Captain Falcon without ever playing an F Zero game because his moveset and lines just burst with personality. Ashley's Song in Brawl, which is just brimming with spunk, had the same effect on Ashley.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Oh that's something I didn't consider. If her moveset was very analogue like Warioware then that would be one way to subtly represent her series. Not to mention the potential for transformations, though I think that would just translate to giving characters status like invisibility, metal, mega, mini, lipstick, bunny hood.

Also, Ashuree, If you can I would like to be added to the list of supporters for Ashley that you've been compiling.
It's another reason people were pushing 9-Volt as well. It's easy to see his moves as minigames bit with the added benefit of also representing retro gaming as well. But I think any of the popular picks can actually represnt the same ideas but with their respective theme.
*raises hand*

Yeah, she is kinda became a bit of a Nintendo 3DS mascot because of badge arcade and Ko Takeuchi's soft spot for her. Her visual design and attitude is pretty appealing even to people who haven't played WarioWare.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Japan fans want her new warioware game ben advertised lately and smash ultimate is might be fan focused this time

And no assist trophy spotted so far

I think she might be the little Mac of smash ultimate and I have ben interested in her so count me in for support

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
New leak with yet again "a trusted source" claims the 20th of July will reveal Ashley. So, if anything big is happening, like a mini direct on the 20th hold onto your seatbelts!
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon You're the leak guy, can you confirm?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Is this the creator if the leak? oh, so its fake then?! I need my Ashley Justice!
Oh, no, I was asking him because he's the one who's always scouring 4chan for leaks. He's keeping track of all of them, so I wanted to notify him.

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
That is true. Which gets me thinking that Ashley would be a glass cannon of sorts.
Glass cannon is right in my wheel house, would be great if true.

New leak with yet again "a trusted source" claims the 20th of July will reveal Ashley. So, if anything big is happening, like a mini direct on the 20th hold onto your seatbelts!
Oh man I hope so, Heck if a 3ds Direct gets announced in july at all I'll be at max hype.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Star light, star bright, Add me to this list tonight.

.......Corny, ain't I?

She ain't exactly my most wanted newbie for Smash (you can look at my sig. for proof), but she's definitely a face I'd like to see, even if I've yet to touch a Warioware game in my life. Truthfully, more of a Wario Land guy. But, that's besides the point.

Last edited:

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
Speaking of Warioware, Warioware Gold is out in a month and has Amiibo Support but I don't think they have even said what the amiibo do or which Amiibo are supported..

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Speaking of Warioware, Warioware Gold is out in a month and has Amiibo Support but I don't think they have even said what the amiibo do or which Amiibo are supported..
The stars are all aligning for an announcement during a direct. Someone might say that they wouldn't want Smash to overshadow a 3ds direct, but I think Nintendo knows that people will watch smaller directs just for the chance that they have a character reveal in them. That's more exposure for other games while generating hype: Literally what Smash is best for.

They could reveal the flipping Ashley Amiibo! I can't. It's not good to raise my hopes this much.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
In case anyone's wondering, here's the 4chan leak info for the mini direct:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/422223734

We'll see what happens...
>Super Mario Party will have a story mode, a new villain who looks like a dice block is making everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom hate each other. Mario is immune because he doesn't hate anyone, so he has to find a way to save his friends.

It's so stupid, it just might be true.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
How much support did Kat & Ana and Mona have compared to Ashley? Was Ashley even the most popular at the time like she is now? Because if not, in retrospect, Mona would've had the best chances of getting in. The Mona support thread brings up a good point that her moveset would represent Warioware the best.
I got curious and did some digging to answer your question. During the Brawl Days Mona's thread reached 5 pages and during the Smash 4 days Mona's support thread reached 15 pages. Kat & Ana were more so a suggested character idea (because they could play like the Ice Climbers) than a character that the fan base actually wanted. The fact that Ashley reached 78 pages during Brawl, it's quite evident that even back then people wanted Ashley! Unfortunately, Ashley's support thread for Smash 4 was deleted because she was deconfirmed half-way through the speculation.

What's interesting about the Brawl days was Krystal was always brought up among the female characters. Even though Krystal has nothing to do with WarioWare people thought Krystal was going to be the "token female character" as if that was going to hinder any other female characters chances. So I guess Brawl speculators thought Krystal was a threat to Ashley more so than Mona which in retrospect is something I find funny.

One thing I will say is that the Smashboards community has become much healthier with each new Smash game. The people as of Ultimate's speculation are much more civil, mature and, willing to listen to other's opinions and play nice than past Smash game's speculations. I was around during the Smash 4 days and I found the community tolerable but the Brawl days?! My goodness! Smashboards was a toxic place! I cringe just reading through some of the ugly things people were saying in the Brawl pages.

Last edited:

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
I got curious and did some digging to answer your question. During the Brawl Days Mona's thread reached 5 pages and during the Smash 4 days Mona's support thread reached 15 pages. Kat & Ana were more so a suggested character idea (because they could play like the Ice Climbers) than a character that the fan base actually wanted. The fact that Ashley reached 78 pages during Brawl, it's quite evident that even back then people wanted Ashley! Unfortunately, Ashley's support thread for Smash 4 was deleted because she was deconfirmed half-way through the speculation.

What's interesting about the Brawl days was Krystal was always brought up among the female characters. Even though Krystal has nothing to do with WarioWare people thought Krystal was going to be the "token female character" as if that was going to hinder any other female characters chances. So I guess Brawl speculators thought Krystal was a threat to Ashley more so than Mona which in retrospect is something I find funny.

One thing I will say is that the Smashboards community has become much healthier with each new Smash game. The people as of Ultimate's speculation are much more civil, mature and, willing to listen to other's opinions and play nice than past Smash game's speculations. I was around during the Smash 4 days and I found the community tolerable but the Brawl days?! My goodness! Smashboards was a toxic place! I cringe just reading through some of the ugly things people were saying in the Brawl pages.
Well... Krystal ain't much of a threat now! :p

There's a surprising amount of Ashley leaks today, we'll see where this goes.

Low key very hyped
This sounds interesting! Might need to pull up a chair and Brew me some tea.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

I would assume that Smash Boards was toxic during the Brawl days was because Nintendo Loyalists who did not want Third parties in the game were upset.

Top Bottom