• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Calane

Smash Ace
Well, since my boy Takamaru's an assist trophy again, that now leaves Ashley as my most wanted newcomer. I don't want to hold onto hope considering how bad it stings when dreams are crushed, but she does still have a chance.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
One of those Mii fighter outfit characters (other than Inkling who was a shoe-in anyway) has to be upgraded to playable!

Takamaru? Deconfirmed!

King K. Rool? Possibly but not relevant.

Isabelle? She doesn't seem much like a fighter plus I think the Villager covers the franchise.

Viridi? Eh... Kid Icarus has enough content.

Geno? Do I need to say more...

Any other Third party character? As of now I do believe the leak claiming Simon Belmont, so that caps the 3rd party.

Ashley fills the checklist in all qualifying categories:
- relevant (WarioWare Gold on it's way!)
-popular (especially in Japan!),
- Represents a franchise "properly" (let's face it no one thinks of Wario as that guy from WarioWare. He's considered a Mario character),
- Fits well in Smash (She can use magic)
- Unique

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's comment about the fact that because everyone is returning we shouldn't expect as many newcomers this time around haunts me. I don't know whether to say her chances increased or decreased. Potential characters got deconfirmed lowering the number of obstacles in her way but at the same time there aren't as many spots to go around.

For some odd reason seeing Krystal become an assist trophy gives me a little more hope. That was definitely done because of the Smash ballot. I'm sure Ashley performed notably well on the ballot as well.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
What a wild day for me, my dream got confirmed in Ridley, and now Ashley is nowhere to be seen in the mass assist trophy deconfirmation. Sakurai stated Ridley got in due to massive fan popularity and outcry in the West. We know Ashley is massively popular in Japan. The fact she survived the first wave of assist trophies and hasn't been found is a plus for us. Plus she wasn't in Wario's character trailer video, which featured the WarioWare stage.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Either Sakurai is playing with us and hasn't implemented the Ashley assist into the E3 demo or she's playable. Dear God do I wish it's the latter.

Xman321

Smash Apprentice
I support this 2009382819% (Yes, I did just type random numbers why do you ask?). I really have been wanting to get into the Warioware games lately and this little 9 year old (or is she 12? 14? It’s inconsistent between countries right?) is most of the reason why. Doesn’t matter what her moveset would be, she’d instantly go in the “main” category for me.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else thinks the Arcade Bunny AT might increase Ashley's chances a bit? After all, Ashley was the Queen of Badge Arcade in Japan.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Anyone else thinks the Arcade Bunny AT might increase Ashley's chances a bit? After all, Ashley was the Queen of Badge Arcade in Japan.
Maybe. It just further shows how aware Sakurai is of her popularity, because he couldn't have added Arcade Bunny without knowing how popular Ashley was there.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I have risen from being inactive for four years just to say I think Ashley still has a legit shot at becoming playable. Reasons are :

- Popular choice in Japan. Among the top choices

- She was treated extremely well in Smash 4, E.g Assist trophy which is one step closer to becoming playable.

- Out of the other WarioWare cast, she was the only one to be given an updated version of her song in the form of Ashley's song Ver 2.

- Smash 3ds's Warioware stage includes two songs, like every other stage, the first being the typical Wario medley, but out of all the character songs Ashley's song was chosen to rep the stage.

- Not to mention the Mii outfit we got that was likely a result from the ballot. I'm fair sure she did well in there, and Sakurai mentioned the ballot would be used as reference for future games

She hasn't appeared at all as an assist, being one of the most wanted newcomers you'd think he's get Ashley out of the way, or at least show her off in Wario's page like they did for Smash 4. The Arcade Bunny was added for an assist, which Sakurai might know how popular Ashley is and how much Nintendo pushed her.

I think it's pretty suspicious to leave out the most popular assist trophy. I think the reason Kat and Ana didn't show up either is cut, or having them shown and not Ashley would bring up a lot of red flags. Everyone here probably knows how popular she is and how much she's gotten, 3ds themes, badges, club Nintendo rewards, in Mario Maker, hell, she was even given a few comics.

I'm giving Ashley a good 70% chance at making it into the roster; if not, hope she isn't an assist so we can have her as DLC.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
Arcade Bunny was straight up an Ashley (who he called Ashley-sama) fanboy in Japan. They toned him down for the west because he was a bit creepy. Either way, if Ashley is revealed I bet her character trailer will have her being lifted up by the Arcade Bunny crane. :p

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
If she does become playable, I hope we get ANOTHER remix of her song. Heck, even in the unfortunate chance she isn't, I'd still want a remix.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
She is definitely getting a remix no matter what happens, I just hope it's not Japan-only again.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Come on, Sakurai, show off our girl, Ashley. I am sure she is going to be a newcomer with everything going for her.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
My homegirl has GOT this. I feel pretty good about her chances to be honest.

Honestly, all I need in this game is Ashley and another DK rep. I feel hopeless for Sora so being realistic, if I can get those two requirements filled I'm golden.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I actually have a really good feeling about Ashley this go around. The theme of this game seems to be giving the fans what they want. All the cut vets, almost every stage, and frickin Ridley. With how big Ashley is in Japan, I think we'll be seeing her, even with the smaller amount of newcomers this go around.

I got Ridley and all cut vets, so King K. Rool is all I need for this roster to be perfect, but I'd love to see Ashley added.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm hopeful but still worried. What gives me hope is her being completely MIA from the assist trophy list despite a lot of people playing the game. Although a counterpoint would be she just isn't in this build.

Another point for her is she wasn't in Wario's character trailer, which showed off the WarioWare stage. Knuckles was in Sonic's trailer presumably as an assist trophy which makes me even more hopeful.

Our girl survived the first wave.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Ashley survived E3. So I'm fairly hopeful. Oddly enough, I think the lack of the Kat and Ana AT may help if they decide to make her Final Smash involve a collection of Warioware characters similar to Shulk or Megaman's FS's

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It is strangely suspicious that this little witch didn't show up considering the onslaught included in that build; I can see Ashley as a real frontrunner for once considering her Japanese fanbase and strangely charming Badge Arcade home away from home. We'll just have to wait and see.

In B4 she gets in as a Robin clone :applejack:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ashley is getting rerated in the RTC, come show your support.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've seem some say WarioWare Gold started development in 2015. Is there a source on that? That could also help bump her chances if Sakurai was aware of a new WarioWare during his project plan.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I've seem some say WarioWare Gold started development in 2015. Is there a source on that? That could also help bump her chances if Sakurai was aware of a new WarioWare during his project plan.
There is no real source; however, a person who leaked Wario Ware Gold back in December 2017 said it did. If a Wario Ware for Switch is announced soon-ish, he was saying the truth. Either way, Japanese fans noticed something interesting: https://image.ibb.co/bG3eaJ/tinfoilhatwario.png

They bothered to update the Japanese Wario Ware logo to the Gorgeous version for some reason.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/76146238

That's what I can find regarding Warioware Gold starting development in 2015. As far as I know, that is fairly accurate outside the release date.
Game release dates change over time, so it might have been planned for early 2018 during the time the op posted. Anyway, I think the poster is possibly true seeing as how much it got right regarding WarioWare Gold, the game is promoted to have 300+ microgames and amiibo support, the game is a compilation of older Warioware games.

So if we are to believe it started in 2015, this is around the time Ashley has burst in popularity, even Sakurai around this time has said her popularity continues to grow. And with the treatment of Ashley in smash 4, E.g Assist, updated song, mii outfit. He knows how popular she is, and the ballot might have been a factor.

This might also lead to why they kept Ashley relevant during the year from 2015 to 2017 via the badge arcade, the game stated in its last update the bunny stated to have awakened her potential. And look forward to the future of Ashley.

D

Deleted member

She's the character we truly need but her chances seem too low. I'd love to be surprised, however.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
She's the character we truly need but her chances seem too low. I'd love to be surprised, however.
I don't know if I'd call her chances low. Several people have made long posts describing why she has a deceptively higher chance than people think, along with Sakurai being blatantly aware of her popularity after Smash 4. Badge Arcade Bunny is also an assist trophy so he has to know her popularity there too.

I'd go into more detail but it's been said by people plenty of times, and I'd just be repeating it.

D

Deleted member

I don't know if I'd call her chances low. Several people have made long posts describing why she has a deceptively higher chance than people think, along with Sakurai being blatantly aware of her popularity after Smash 4. Badge Arcade Bunny is also an assist trophy so he has to know her popularity there too.

I'd go into more detail but it's been said by people plenty of times, and I'd just be repeating it.
I mean she doesn't even star in her own game and she's one of the side characters of a niche franchise. Badge Arcade really doesn't count in this regard that's merely a badge for the 3DS main menu.

Generally when characters get in Smash they have a prevalent release and the only thing I can think of is WarioWare Gold which...isn't really one as it's more of a greatest hits kind of thing.

Fans should keep expectations low tbh.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I mean she doesn't even star in her own game and she's one of the side characters of a niche franchise. Badge Arcade really doesn't count in this regard that's merely a badge for the 3DS main menu.

Generally when characters get in Smash they have a prevalent release and the only thing I can think of is WarioWare Gold which...isn't really one as it's more of a greatest hits kind of thing.

Fans should keep expectations low tbh.
I understand keeping expectations low but not even getting a little more hopeful and excited after her no show as an Assist Trophy at E3 is pretty hard to do. Obviously it's not the final build and she simply could not have been in it.

Seeing so many requested characters being blatantly shown and deconfirmed but not our girl is going to excite us. Step 1 was cleared (E3). So I consider that a success worth being happy about.

Last edited:

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
she doesn't even star in her own game
Since when has this been a big factor in being a playable character? Many playable characters don't star in their own standalone game, rather they star in the franchise itself. WarioWare in itself is its own franchise and each franchise can or could have another playable character.

This is no reason why Ashley shouldn't be playable. Just because she doesn't have her own game doesn't mean she can't be playable. Ashley is one of the top requested characters for Japan, for one thing, and Nintendo has been pushing her a lot for the past three years.

WarioWare might not have been relevant for a few years, but Ashley has been, and with a new WarioWare rumored for Switch by the person who also said Warioware 3ds would be coming a few months before it has been revealed. He just about got everything right about the game, such as 300+ microgames, amiibo support and being a collection of older WarioWare games. Read a lot of what people have been saying here before telling people to keep expectations low.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Since when has this been a big factor in being a playable character? Many playable characters don't star in their own standalone game, rather they star in the franchise itself. WarioWare in itself is its own franchise and each franchise can or could have another playable character.

This is no reason why Ashley shouldn't be playable. Just because she doesn't have her own game doesn't mean she can't be playable. Ashley is one of the top requested characters for Japan, for one thing, and Nintendo has been pushing her a lot for the past three years.

WarioWare might not have been relevant for a few years, but Ashley has been, and with a new WarioWare rumored for Switch by the person who also said Warioware 3ds would be coming a few months before it has been revealed. He just about got everything right about the game, such as 300+ microgames, amiibo support and being a collection of older WarioWare games. Read a lot of what people have been saying before telling people to keep expectations low.
So it does play into a factor because if this is a niche franchise, and she's a side character of a niche franchise, that makes her chances low.

You also have to keep in mind Sakurai also stated that there will be less newcomers this time around and them picking Ashley of all things seems very unlikely.

And basing your main point off rumors, aka nothing confirmed with proper sources, there really is no reason to believe anything at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
So it does play into a factor because if this is a niche franchise
And just because there are fewer newcomers mean Ashley's chances are lowered by how much you think? have you not read of Ashley's popularity in Japan. WarioWare may not be the most recognized game from Nintendo, but that doesn't mean to rule her out completely

This is your only argument that WarioWare is not well known enough, despite Ashley being heavily requested not only in Japan but here as well. You also have to keep in mind Sakurai has acknowledged Ashley's rising popularity. She's been treated well in Smash brothers, being an assist, giving her an updated song, in the WarioWare stage out of all the Wario character songs they choose Ashley. And a Mii outfit that is likely a result of the Ballot.

She is literally one of Japan's top female requested fighters. I'm not saying she's a shoe-in, but her chances are higher than most people would think.

Edit : My main point still stands, there's still a new WarioWare game coming out. No matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I'd say there is no need to fight about this right now. If Wario Land VB remake or Link's Awakening remake or Wario Ware Switch are announced, however, Ashley's chances would indeed increase a lot since that would confirm the rumor.

What I'm saying is, if Wario Ware VB or Link's Awakening 3DS are announced, we can probably send Ashley from "possible" to "very likely".

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
We're all just speculating. It's the point of doing these things. That's why each character has support threads. To support characters we want. It doesn't harm anyone if we think a character we like and want is likely. If it ends up not happening it doesn't hurt anyone but ourselves, so I don't see a point in anyone outright denying or trashing people who want to believe, then being like "told you so" if it doesn't happen. It's not like we don't have evidence to support our hope. Whether it matters or not we don't know, because only truly Sakurai does, but again...That's the point of speculation.

It's why some people can take it the wrong way when you go in their support thread and say "This thing of potential evidence doesn't count, keep your expectations low". I think it's obvious why that'd rub people the wrong way even if you weren't trying to do so intentionally.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
You're right; all I'm saying is that if the full rumor that included Wario Ware Gold is confirmed, Ashley's chances would become undebatable even for her detractors. Everyone keeps saying stuff like "Wario doesn't deserve a second character!" but that rumor says that there are three upcoming Wario games: Wario Ware Gold, Wario Land VB and Wario Ware Switch; that's a living franchise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While anything related to the Virtual Boy seems suspect, boy would I love to playboy Virtual Boy Wario Land on the Switch or 3DS.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Alright, let's talk about a reveal. What do you all think is a good way to reveal her?

I think something related to Luigi with his mansion. Including Red in some funny way.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
I find Ashley has a lot of ways for a reveal trailer. But one starring Luigi's Mansion would be a great touch, perhaps it starts off with Luigi venturing into a
mansion with his poltergust ready in hand. Maybe he has a few friends with him, when looking around the mansion you can see two figures stalking them/him.

He hears a noise, he flashes his light to see a broom knocked over on the floor, he slowly walks over to it and while he does, you can make out a shadow behind him. Eyes glow red, Luigi looks at the viewer, he knows something is behind him, he slowly turns back and you hear a scream from them, then Luigi and Co being flung out from the mansion into a K.O, there Ashley is revealed along with Red.

This is my idea going with the Luigi's Mansion theme, I have some other ideas too.

Last edited:

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Alright, let's talk about a reveal. What do you all think is a good way to reveal her?

I think something related to Luigi with his mansion. Including Red in some funny way.
We'll get a direct shortly before the WarioWare release date. They didn't say anything about the 3DS in the E3 Nintendo Direct. If WarioWare Gold has a story mode like the leaker claims then that detail will be brought up.

The trailer will start with 2D animated Wario sitting on the couch in his house. 2D versions of other Smash characters from other franchises will appear next to Wario. To his surprise Wario's house will get over crowded. Ashley will fly through the house on her broom and cast a spell that makes Wario's house blow up with everyone flying every which way.

I say Diamond city becomes a new stage and from there we will get a tour of what the other WarioWare characters are doing in the background.

Top Bottom