• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Tony Duck

Smash Rookie
The difference between the Wario and “Yoshi” franchise is that Yoshi is actually extremely connected to Mario’s games, while Land and especially Ware are their own thing.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
The difference between the Wario and “Yoshi” franchise is that Yoshi is actually extremely connected to Mario’s games, while Land and especially Ware are their own thing.
I get that, but the way Smash treats Wario is that it reinforces that Wario is a Mario character first.

Wario has his own franchises, so the more that can be done to separate the two, the better.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Bill Trenin’s comments on Smash have made me a little disappointed... I know closer to December is 1 minute from now, but I have a bit of a sinking feeling with regards to that... We’re already in such a news drought, and it seems like it might only get worse from here for a bit. And regardless of how many fighters we might get, not revealing any for a while is a good way for the community to get riled up in all sorts of ways, and just isn’t ideal.

Especially as Nintendo’s big game of the year, being quiet on it doesn’t seem conducive to anything...

I just really hope we have more than a couple newcomers and we get some info on at least a new character relatively soon.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Bill Trenin’s comments on Smash have made me a little disappointed... I know closer to December is 1 minute from now, but I have a bit of a sinking feeling with regards to that... We’re already in such a news drought, and it seems like it might only get worse from here for a bit. And regardless of how many fighters we might get, not revealing any for a while is a good way for the community to get riled up in all sorts of ways, and just isn’t ideal.

Especially as Nintendo’s big game of the year, being quiet on it doesn’t seem conducive to anything...

I just really hope we have more than a couple newcomers and we get some info on at least a new character relatively soon.
We'll probably get 1-2 characters per month. With five months remaining that would give us 10 newcomers.
We'll be fine.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We'll probably get 1-2 characters per month. With five months remaining that would give us 10 newcomers.
We'll be fine.
And there's always characters announced after the game releases, for those who haven't unlocked them yet, like Jr. and Duck Hunt.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Well, like I said over in the Geno thread, it could be that he doesn't actually know if we'll be getting any new characters soon or not. I would imagine NoA gets their information slower and isn't keyed in at the source at all times. Though I will say, ever since Iwata passed (R.I.P.) I have been pretty disappointed in Nintendo's marketing. They seem like they're taking a step back in that regard, though maybe it's just me.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Never take PR speak at face value unless there's a definite involved. Most of it is just hot air. It's Bill Trinen's job to give non-answers like that.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, like I said over in the Geno thread, it could be that he doesn't actually know if we'll be getting any new characters soon or not. I would imagine NoA gets their information slower and isn't keyed in at the source at all times. Though I will say, ever since Iwata passed (R.I.P.) I have been pretty disappointed in Nintendo's marketing. They seem like they're taking a step back in that regard, though maybe it's just me.
Pretty sure the consensus is that the marketing for the Switch in general is far better than during the Wii U era. Unless you're referring to Directs being less amusing to watch.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yeah, for all we know, we're getting a character tomorrow, and Bill wouldn't be wrong in his statememt, because tomorrow is closer to December than today is.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
What did bill say? also Smash tournament in 5 hours oofy, I thought it was tomorrow
Yeah, I'm stoked about this tournament! Even if there isn't a new character (I have no expectations whatsoever), we get to see more gameplay, which is always exciting.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I definitely understand that Bill is basically guaranteed to be all PR speak, but still, I suppose the anxiety about this Smash is higher than past given how much work we’ve already seen. I mean good god, they’ve put a lot of work into this game with all the stages, characters, and tweaks.

10 characters just seems generous though, that’s a lot of additional characters to be adding to the roster in addition to all the work.

It’s primarily just a feeling, which to be fair, those aren’t always correct

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman

The way I look at it, there's three ways to interpret Bill's words:

1: It's a non-answer. Any day past today is closer to December than today. Whether this is because he wants to keep any upcoming reveals under wraps or because he just genuinely doesn't know is unknown.

2: Still a non-answer, but with the implication that we're not getting a reveal soon. One could argue that if we had a newcomer scheduled for this month, he would've hinted towards it.

3: Taking his words literally, to mean that we're not getting any reveals until much closer to release. I find this the most unlikely one, as I don't know why they'd front load all the newcomers past Ridley to near release rather than spread them out.

I'm leaning towards interpretation 1 as it seems others here are, but I admit 2's a possibility.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm stoked about this tournament! Even if there isn't a new character (I have no expectations whatsoever), we get to see more gameplay, which is always exciting.
yeah! If they are presenting a newer build at the tournament then maybe we can see if Ashley will appear as a AT or not

The Eternal Penguin

Smash Apprentice
yeah! If they are presenting a newer build at the tournament then maybe we can see if Ashley will appear as a AT or not
I can honestly see that happening and it would be quite disappointing. But like others have stated I would rather have them show it early on than keep us waiting till release only for her to be an assist.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
I'm guessing the tournament in a few hours will just be the E3 build again. I can't see them rolling out something new for an event that isn't an official Nintendo thing.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah, I don't think anything is going to come out of this, but here's hoping that I wake up tomorrow; I look at the official site and see 66: Ashley.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
I honestly hoped she'd show up on the blog for Friday the 13th since Japan seems to make a thing out of it for "occult" characters and she's a witch.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I honestly hoped she'd show up on the blog for Friday the 13th since Japan seems to make a thing out of it for "occult" characters and she's a witch.
There aren't any more F13's this year so that leaves that possibility out. What do you all think would be the best time to disconfirm her?

I though of two possibilites. It would be really weird if WW Gold's release came and went without a mentioning her or K&A as an assist trophy. Besides that, there's also the chance they'll have another wave of assist deconfirmations in an eventual Smash Direct. I will be scared af going into another one of those with no Ashley reveal prior to it.

Not trying to be pessimistic. I think the most hypest reveal would Ashley being the only M.I.A. assist leading up to the release. Literally everyone would expect Ashley at that point, and it would make for a better narrative then getting an early reveal. Although, I personally just want to cash in on that playable Ashley reveal ASAP.

Last edited:

OdnetninAges

Smash Journeyman
Honestly? If WarioWare Gold came and went with no mention of Ashley at all (playable, assist, or otherwise), that'd be fairly suspicious to me.

Noipoi

Howdy!
There aren't any more F13's this year so that leaves that possibility out. What do you all think would be the best time to disconfirm her?

I though of two possibilites. It would be really weird if WW Gold's release came and went without a mentioning her or K&A as an assist trophy. Besides that, there's also the chance they'll have another wave of assist deconfirmations in an eventual Smash Direct. I will be scared af going into another one of those with no Ashley reveal prior to it.
The best time to disconfirm her is never.
But if worse comes to worse and she's still an assist i'd prefer to know as soon as possible, perhaps in a blog post,
Good thing that's not happening though!

SAKURAI PLEASE

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
The best time to disconfirm her is never.
But if worse comes to worse and she's still an assist i'd prefer to know as soon as possible, perhaps in a blog post,
Good thing that's not happening though!

SAKURAI PLEASE
I totally agree. I'm just saying what storms we have to weather before we get Ashley. There are prime times that she could get deconfirmed and if she passes those tests, then that should boost our confidence in her even more. Just imagine if they did another assist trophy massacre with favorites like Isabelle, Shadow, Dillon, Issac, Geno, but still no Ashley. This thread would explode like if she just got confirmed.

It would also be really difficult to argue that Ashley just hasn't been shown as an Assist at that point. It would be really cool to convince the skeptics in the speculation community before her reveal rather than surprise them after the fact.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Honestly? If WarioWare Gold came and went with no mention of Ashley at all (playable, assist, or otherwise), that'd be fairly suspicious to me.
If Warioware is released in Europe before any direct with Warioware then it'll get datamined and we'll know the amiibo that work with it. If Ashley's missing from that... Well, That would really suck. XD I know patching is a thing, but Warioware doesn't strike me as a game that warrants any patches.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
The Catholic Church considered the number 13 to be unlucky. In Japan 4 and 9 are unlucky numbers.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I totally agree. I'm just saying what storms we have to weather before we get Ashley. There are prime times that she could get deconfirmed and if she passes those tests, then that should boost our confidence in her even more. Just imagine if they did another assist trophy massacre with favorites like Isabelle, Shadow, Dillon, Issac, Geno, but still no Ashley. This thread would explode like if she just got confirmed.
On the topic of Assist Trophies, I mentioned how she wasn't present in Wario's trailer before, until I was reminded Kat and Ana weren't either.
But think about it, what do Kat and Ana do when summoned? They fly around the screen at high speeds, and Ashley? She just stands there with her magic cloud. I would have been easy to get a shot of them together but they didn't. It seems a little suspect, then again I am a conspiracy theorist when it comes to Smash! Maybe i'm looking too deep into this.

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Assist Trophies, I mentioned how she wasn't present in Wario's trailer before, until I was reminded Kat and Ana weren't either.
But think about it, what do Kat and Ana do when summoned? They fly around the screen at high speeds, and Ashley? She just stands there with her magic cloud. I would have easy to get a shot of them together but they didn't. It seems a little suspect, then again I am a conspiracy theorist when it comes to Smash! Maybe i'm looking too deep into this!
We know there will be over 50 ATs and we've seen 30 so far. Many franchises from DLC characters still have yet to get an AT such as Raiden from Metal Gear returning from Brawl or a Final Fantasy AT or a Street Fighter AT, not to mention, if Simon Belmont gets in the game we'll get a Castlevania AT. So that will count for a few AT slots.

Are there any unlucky days in Japan equivalent to F13?
Somehow when it comes to days the Japanese aren't as superstitious as the west. I guess you could say April 4th (4/4) or September 9th (9/9) might be considered unlucky because the number occurs twice.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
But think about it, what do Kat and Ana do when summoned? They fly around the screen at high speeds, and Ashley? She just stands there with her magic cloud. I would have been easy to get a shot of them together but they didn't. It seems a little suspect, then again I am a conspiracy theorist when it comes to Smash! Maybe i'm looking too deep into this.
I don't really think the screenshots really mean anything. They could have just as easily gotten tingle to stand next to young link, but they didn't. I figure they only wanted to show the assist trophies that were at E3. I'd like to think this improves her chances though too lol.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure that Kat&Ana were in a pic of the day with Wario at some point. So it's possible that they didn't want overlap.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
I don't really think the screenshots really mean anything. They could have just as easily gotten tingle to stand next to young link, but they didn't. I figure they only wanted to show the assist trophies that were at E3. I'd like to think this improves her chances though too lol.
Termina Bay is returning as a stage and Tingle appears as a stage hazard. I don't know if they'll bring Tingle back as an AT for that reason but his AT was based on WW so it's probably fine having both.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I agree it probably doesn't mean anything, but i'm talking about the individual character overview videos.
In Fox's they showed him next to Krystal (A popular request) in Sonic's they showed him next to Knuckles (Not as popular but still).
Ashley (A very popular request) was nowhere to be seen. Like you said, it probably doesn't mean anything. I just thought it was interesting.

Top Bottom