The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
At the very least, this does light the hope of more than one wave of DLC. With The whole Waluigi situation, I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least a little push to do some AT promotions. Overall, I really hope it does happen.

Zabadoo

#Ashley4Smashley
Premium
NNID
RadRedi
I'm really, REALLY hoping that Nintendo's idea of DLC primarily hones in on promoting new(er) games, considering how many ideal characters for that theme are stuck in the AT. There's no reason for me to think that'll happen, but it's literally the only chance of me getting excited about this DLC. Well, that or Geno/Banjo making it in, but even that wouldn't psyche me up as much as Ashley.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I'm really, REALLY hoping that Nintendo's idea of DLC primarily hones in on promoting new(er) games, considering how many ideal characters for that theme are stuck in the AT. There's no reason for me to think that'll happen, but it's literally the only chance of me getting excited about this DLC. Well, that or Geno/Banjo making it in, but even that wouldn't psyche me up as much as Ashley.
I can't see Ashley making it unless there's a wave 2 sadly due to WarioWare Switch being 2020 at the earliest. There's still plenty of characters they could add to promote upcoming games such as Edelgard, a Gen 8 Pokemon, KK Slider, E Gadd/ King Boo and Sylux. I'm glad Nintendo has been doing all of those shorts of the WarioWare cast and it makes me want to see an animated series someday if the Mario movie works out for them.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I can't see Ashley making it unless there's a wave 2 sadly due to WarioWare Switch being 2020 at the earliest. There's still plenty of characters they could add to promote upcoming games such as Edelgard, a Gen 8 Pokemon, KK Slider, E Gadd/ King Boo and Sylux. I'm glad Nintendo has been doing all of those shorts of the WarioWare cast and it makes me want to see an animated series someday if the Mario movie works out for them.
Pretty much. I highly doubt we will see any AT/Mii costume promotions for season 1. Season 2 on the other hand, is when I predict all bets will be off. If we get a season 2 (which I consider likely because come'on, it's Smash, easy goldmine right there).

Last edited:

Zabadoo

#Ashley4Smashley
Premium
NNID
RadRedi
I could see Nintendo wanting to treat Smash more like an ongoing service for a few years, but on the flipside, I could also see them wanting to give Sakurai a break, and Sakurai being unwilling to relinquish control of the Smash series over to someone else. The latter would mean that DLC totals at 5 newcomers (and a free potted plant, haha).
But if the former happens, and Waves 2 and beyond become a thing, then there's no way we come out on the other end of it without at least a few playable Assist Trophy characters. Surely not...

But that won't be for a while. Currently, I'm just bracing for the release of this game and the first wave of DLC, which I have a hunch will be an onslaught of more third-parties. I'd love to be wrong, but I was woefully optimistic about other aspects of this game, and got burned in return.

I could see Nintendo wanting to treat Smash more like an ongoing service for a few years, but on the flipside, I could also see them wanting to give Sakurai a break, and Sakurai being unwilling to relinquish control of the Smash series over to someone else. The latter would mean that DLC totals at 5 newcomers (and a free potted plant, haha).
But if the former happens, and Waves 2 and beyond become a thing, then there's no way we come out on the other end of it without at least a few playable Assist Trophy characters. Surely not...

But that won't be for a while. Currently, I'm just bracing for the release of this game and the first wave of DLC, which I have a hunch will be an onslaught of more third-parties. I'd love to be wrong, but I was woefully optimistic about other aspects of this game, and got burned in return.
On the other hand; this might be a good opportunity to try handing control to someone new, see if they work.

Zabadoo

#Ashley4Smashley
Premium
NNID
RadRedi
On the other hand; this might be a good opportunity to try handing control to someone new, see if they work.
Well, on one hand, Sakurai does seem like he might be burned out on Smash, considering he's been working on it for about seven years straight. The man surely has plenty of ideas for games he wants to make, and those ideas have all been squandered by almost a decade solely dedicated to one of the most stressful games a developer could ever make.

On the other hand, Sakurai has proven to be dangerously dedicated to his work. Considering just a few years ago, the man's hand wasn't working right due to the insane amount of stress he was putting on himself, it would be pretty uncharacteristic of him to walk away from the development of his magnum opus, even if it is just during DLC.

Overall, I'm not expecting him to walk away. Perhaps after DLC, in time to hand the reigns over to someone he trusts to reboot the franchise and cut the fat off the roster. But I have my doubts about in the middle of DLC.

Hoo boy, what a crazy end of the week I had living in SoCal. >_<

Anyway, Regarding Sakurai, I think people take what he says too literally at times. I do think he is dedicated to his craft and that he works really hard to satisfy the masses. However, I don't think his jabs on never getting a break or anything like that is particularly serious. At the end of the day, it is his job. The only thing I really get out of his statements are that he's human just like us. God knows that I've used the same lines as Sakurai after working really hard at my job.

Hey, I'm in SoCal too. Are you alright? Is your area affected by the fire?
The Woosley Fire could be seen from my bedroom window on Thursday night, Here I thought the Hill fire was the one I'd have to look out for. We got a mandatory evacuation and left about 3:30 in the morning Friday. The fires were pretty much gone from the immediate vicinity of my house by about 10AM so we went back and I finally got some sleep. After that we lost Cable and Internet at about 4 on Friday and it finally came back late last night. Right now we're clear of fire danger. But man, it really is surreal that my city was in the news for an extended period of time due to back to back national tragedies.

Last edited:
But the fact that he clarifies that "this time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo" is odd. How does that bode for us? Should I be scared, or reassured?
If Vergeben is correct about a non-Geno square character, Minecraft Steve, and Granblue fantasy's Katalina, then you should probably be very scared. But honestly, I doubt his credibility will go past the base game so I'm not exactly worried about dlc until one of those is revealed with at least two remaining spots afterward.

Zabadoo

#Ashley4Smashley
Premium
NNID
RadRedi
If Vergeben is correct about a non-Geno square character, Minecraft Steve, and Granblue fantasy's Katalina, then you should probably be very scared. But honestly, I doubt his credibility will go past the base game so I'm not exactly worried about dlc until one of those is revealed with at least two remaining spots afterward.
Even if Vergeben and his leaker friend whose name I've forgotten are wrong, I could count on one hand the characters who'd still get me excited about DLC, and what are the odds of all of them happening?

That's why I'm already plastering Ashley on my profile, and will continue to do so until Smash 6: I've come to grips with the reality of DLC's potential for being lackluster, and want to keep Ashley in the Internet consciousness before Smash 6 is even announced. Now that people are more aware of who Ashley is, I don't want to let interest in the character dwindle simply because her odds for this specific game are null.

(Unless Nintendo commits a miracle and makes her playable for DLC out of nowhere.)

Is there any good footage of Warioware Inc. or Gamer running in the english version of the demo? I'm hoping that they finally localized the JP version of Ashley's theme from Smash 4. Or at least put that version in the game. I already know it's returning from Japanese footage, but the English version is what matters.

Even if Vergeben and his leaker friend whose name I've forgotten are wrong, I could count on one hand the characters who'd still get me excited about DLC, and what are the odds of all of them happening?
Depends on who said characters are (I’m on phone) and how relevant they are. My only thing right now about whether or not dlc will be lackluster is if Minecraft Steve gets in over all of my realistic wants. If he got revealed I honestly probably would quit the internet. But don’t worry, there is still a chance that what Verge says at this point is bull**** because let’s be realistic: Sakurai might have let every character that isn’t K. Rool leak, but would he really let dlc get revealed months before it’s shown off?

Last edited:
Is there any good footage of Warioware Inc. or Gamer running in the english version of the demo? I'm hoping that they finally localized the JP version of Ashley's theme from Smash 4. Or at least put that version in the game. I already know it's returning from Japanese footage, but the English version is what matters.
I'm positive I've seen version 2 in a Spanish Stream. I'm sorry that I don't have a link. Still don't think it was localized.

That's why I'm already plastering Ashley on my profile, and will continue to do so until Smash 6: I've come to grips with the reality of DLC's potential for being lackluster, and want to keep Ashley in the Internet consciousness before Smash 6 is even announced. Now that people are more aware of who Ashley is, I don't want to let interest in the character dwindle simply because her odds for this specific game are null.
Same here, Just gotta make sure you post in more places than this thread.

Last edited: