• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
At the very least, this does light the hope of more than one wave of DLC. With The whole Waluigi situation, I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least a little push to do some AT promotions. Overall, I really hope it does happen.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'm really, REALLY hoping that Nintendo's idea of DLC primarily hones in on promoting new(er) games, considering how many ideal characters for that theme are stuck in the AT. There's no reason for me to think that'll happen, but it's literally the only chance of me getting excited about this DLC. Well, that or Geno/Banjo making it in, but even that wouldn't psyche me up as much as Ashley.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
I'm really, REALLY hoping that Nintendo's idea of DLC primarily hones in on promoting new(er) games, considering how many ideal characters for that theme are stuck in the AT. There's no reason for me to think that'll happen, but it's literally the only chance of me getting excited about this DLC. Well, that or Geno/Banjo making it in, but even that wouldn't psyche me up as much as Ashley.
I can't see Ashley making it unless there's a wave 2 sadly due to WarioWare Switch being 2020 at the earliest. There's still plenty of characters they could add to promote upcoming games such as Edelgard, a Gen 8 Pokemon, KK Slider, E Gadd/ King Boo and Sylux. I'm glad Nintendo has been doing all of those shorts of the WarioWare cast and it makes me want to see an animated series someday if the Mario movie works out for them.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I can't see Ashley making it unless there's a wave 2 sadly due to WarioWare Switch being 2020 at the earliest. There's still plenty of characters they could add to promote upcoming games such as Edelgard, a Gen 8 Pokemon, KK Slider, E Gadd/ King Boo and Sylux. I'm glad Nintendo has been doing all of those shorts of the WarioWare cast and it makes me want to see an animated series someday if the Mario movie works out for them.
Pretty much. I highly doubt we will see any AT/Mii costume promotions for season 1. Season 2 on the other hand, is when I predict all bets will be off. If we get a season 2 (which I consider likely because come'on, it's Smash, easy goldmine right there).

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I could see Nintendo wanting to treat Smash more like an ongoing service for a few years, but on the flipside, I could also see them wanting to give Sakurai a break, and Sakurai being unwilling to relinquish control of the Smash series over to someone else. The latter would mean that DLC totals at 5 newcomers (and a free potted plant, haha).
But if the former happens, and Waves 2 and beyond become a thing, then there's no way we come out on the other end of it without at least a few playable Assist Trophy characters. Surely not...

But that won't be for a while. Currently, I'm just bracing for the release of this game and the first wave of DLC, which I have a hunch will be an onslaught of more third-parties. I'd love to be wrong, but I was woefully optimistic about other aspects of this game, and got burned in return.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I could see Nintendo wanting to treat Smash more like an ongoing service for a few years, but on the flipside, I could also see them wanting to give Sakurai a break, and Sakurai being unwilling to relinquish control of the Smash series over to someone else. The latter would mean that DLC totals at 5 newcomers (and a free potted plant, haha).
But if the former happens, and Waves 2 and beyond become a thing, then there's no way we come out on the other end of it without at least a few playable Assist Trophy characters. Surely not...

But that won't be for a while. Currently, I'm just bracing for the release of this game and the first wave of DLC, which I have a hunch will be an onslaught of more third-parties. I'd love to be wrong, but I was woefully optimistic about other aspects of this game, and got burned in return.
On the other hand; this might be a good opportunity to try handing control to someone new, see if they work.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
On the other hand; this might be a good opportunity to try handing control to someone new, see if they work.
Well, on one hand, Sakurai does seem like he might be burned out on Smash, considering he's been working on it for about seven years straight. The man surely has plenty of ideas for games he wants to make, and those ideas have all been squandered by almost a decade solely dedicated to one of the most stressful games a developer could ever make.

On the other hand, Sakurai has proven to be dangerously dedicated to his work. Considering just a few years ago, the man's hand wasn't working right due to the insane amount of stress he was putting on himself, it would be pretty uncharacteristic of him to walk away from the development of his magnum opus, even if it is just during DLC.

Overall, I'm not expecting him to walk away. Perhaps after DLC, in time to hand the reigns over to someone he trusts to reboot the franchise and cut the fat off the roster. But I have my doubts about in the middle of DLC.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Hoo boy, what a crazy end of the week I had living in SoCal. >_<

Anyway, Regarding Sakurai, I think people take what he says too literally at times. I do think he is dedicated to his craft and that he works really hard to satisfy the masses. However, I don't think his jabs on never getting a break or anything like that is particularly serious. At the end of the day, it is his job. The only thing I really get out of his statements are that he's human just like us. God knows that I've used the same lines as Sakurai after working really hard at my job.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Hey, I'm in SoCal too. Are you alright? Is your area affected by the fire?
The Woosley Fire could be seen from my bedroom window on Thursday night, Here I thought the Hill fire was the one I'd have to look out for. We got a mandatory evacuation and left about 3:30 in the morning Friday. The fires were pretty much gone from the immediate vicinity of my house by about 10AM so we went back and I finally got some sleep. After that we lost Cable and Internet at about 4 on Friday and it finally came back late last night. Right now we're clear of fire danger. But man, it really is surreal that my city was in the news for an extended period of time due to back to back national tragedies.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
But the fact that he clarifies that "this time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo" is odd. How does that bode for us? Should I be scared, or reassured?
If Vergeben is correct about a non-Geno square character, Minecraft Steve, and Granblue fantasy's Katalina, then you should probably be very scared. But honestly, I doubt his credibility will go past the base game so I'm not exactly worried about dlc until one of those is revealed with at least two remaining spots afterward.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
If Vergeben is correct about a non-Geno square character, Minecraft Steve, and Granblue fantasy's Katalina, then you should probably be very scared. But honestly, I doubt his credibility will go past the base game so I'm not exactly worried about dlc until one of those is revealed with at least two remaining spots afterward.
Even if Vergeben and his leaker friend whose name I've forgotten are wrong, I could count on one hand the characters who'd still get me excited about DLC, and what are the odds of all of them happening?

That's why I'm already plastering Ashley on my profile, and will continue to do so until Smash 6: I've come to grips with the reality of DLC's potential for being lackluster, and want to keep Ashley in the Internet consciousness before Smash 6 is even announced. Now that people are more aware of who Ashley is, I don't want to let interest in the character dwindle simply because her odds for this specific game are null.

(Unless Nintendo commits a miracle and makes her playable for DLC out of nowhere.)

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Is there any good footage of Warioware Inc. or Gamer running in the english version of the demo? I'm hoping that they finally localized the JP version of Ashley's theme from Smash 4. Or at least put that version in the game. I already know it's returning from Japanese footage, but the English version is what matters.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Even if Vergeben and his leaker friend whose name I've forgotten are wrong, I could count on one hand the characters who'd still get me excited about DLC, and what are the odds of all of them happening?
Depends on who said characters are (I’m on phone) and how relevant they are. My only thing right now about whether or not dlc will be lackluster is if Minecraft Steve gets in over all of my realistic wants. If he got revealed I honestly probably would quit the internet. But don’t worry, there is still a chance that what Verge says at this point is bull**** because let’s be realistic: Sakurai might have let every character that isn’t K. Rool leak, but would he really let dlc get revealed months before it’s shown off?

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Is there any good footage of Warioware Inc. or Gamer running in the english version of the demo? I'm hoping that they finally localized the JP version of Ashley's theme from Smash 4. Or at least put that version in the game. I already know it's returning from Japanese footage, but the English version is what matters.
I'm positive I've seen version 2 in a Spanish Stream. I'm sorry that I don't have a link. Still don't think it was localized.

That's why I'm already plastering Ashley on my profile, and will continue to do so until Smash 6: I've come to grips with the reality of DLC's potential for being lackluster, and want to keep Ashley in the Internet consciousness before Smash 6 is even announced. Now that people are more aware of who Ashley is, I don't want to let interest in the character dwindle simply because her odds for this specific game are null.
Same here, Just gotta make sure you post in more places than this thread.

Last edited:

ToilerMoiler

Smash Apprentice
It's been quite sometime since I visited here. Tho not quite as active as before, it's nice to see this place hasn't become a ghost town.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
It's been quite sometime since I visited here. Tho not quite as active as before, it's nice to see this place hasn't become a ghost town.
Yeah, it kind of sucks seeing what used to be one of the most bumping support threads see such a decrease in participation, I must say. But conversation still picks up occasionally. It's just a little slower-paced, haha.

Lately, I've been a little frustrated about Ashley's plight. In recent years, Nintendo's built her up to be the character who breaks out of the franchise to do her own thing (as is Mario Universe tradition, haha), and I'm curious to see what they would do with her. To me, she seems like she's on the cusp of breeching that milestone, and if only Nintendo would give her that push, she might be a shoo-in for Smash 6. But I live in the present, and there's no guarantee they'll ever do that in the future...

Euler23

Smash Cadet
Hmm. So if Nintendo picked the DLC characters does that mean they'll be more or less susceptible to corporate shilling from third-parties than Sakurai himself? Or will they be interested in promoting their own franchises? Will there be yet another Fire Emblem newcomer and a character from Pokemon Male/Female? Hard to know, but I think the number of DLC waves will be dependent on the success of NS Online and how many people buy the first wave of characters. They probably haven't decided yet.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hmm. So if Nintendo picked the DLC characters does that mean they'll be more or less susceptible to corporate shilling from third-parties than Sakurai himself? Or will they be interested in promoting their own franchises? Will there be yet another Fire Emblem newcomer and a character from Pokemon Male/Female? Hard to know, but I think the number of DLC waves will be dependent on the success of NS Online and how many people buy the first wave of characters. They probably haven't decided yet.
You don't need Switch Online to play Smash or buy stuff for it. Smash will sell gangbusters regardless of the success of the subscription.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
In my opinion, it could go either way. If Ashley is to be involved in the DLC at all (which I'm not expecting, this is just a hypothetical), I see her odds being better realized in a situation where Nintendo focuses on their own self-interests and goes the "promotional" route, as WarioWare Gold just came out in August (and who knows when WarioWare Switch will come out).

But there's no guarantee that they'll do that. They're just as likely to flippantly add in more third-parties so that they can "break the Internet" a few more times.

Euler23

Smash Cadet
You don't need Switch Online to play Smash or buy stuff for it. Smash will sell gangbusters regardless of the success of the subscription.
No, but it is one of their main online titles and they'll need to keep people interested in the game for the subscriptions to sell well. One way to do that is to keep adding DLC.

But there's no guarantee that they'll do that. They're just as likely to flippantly add in more third-parties so that they can "break the Internet" a few more times.
So it's going to be Waluigi, Goku, Shrek, Harry Potter, and Spongebob then.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
So it's going to be Waluigi, Goku, Shrek, Harry Potter, and Spongebob then.
As absolutely atrocious and gut-wrenching as that DLC would be, AT promotions would finally have a precedent. And I can't think of anyone better suited to buck the trend than Waluigi, haha.

Princess_Ashley

Smash Apprentice
To me, she seems like she's on the cusp of breeching that milestone, and if only Nintendo would give her that push, she might be a shoo-in for Smash 6.
I think Nintendo would have been fine with Ashley in Smash. I think Nintendo is doing a good job with Ashley. (Or was doing at least). I know everyone is getting tired of criticism and all that but I think the responsibility in here lied in Sakurai and not in Nintendo.

Yeah, sadly I expect this too.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I think Nintendo would have been fine with Ashley in Smash. I think Nintendo is doing a good job with Ashley. (Or was doing at least). I know everyone is getting tired of criticism and all that but I think the responsibility in here lied in Sakurai and not in Nintendo.
Oh, I was talking about Ashley's handling at Nintendo in general, not specifically in Smash. Yeah, Ashley's role as an Assist Trophy was 100% Sakurai's decision.

Like you said, Nintendo was doing a good job with Ashley. She got a lot of exposure on the 3DS, that's for sure. My concern is that the Ashley train stops at WarioWare Gold. But, like I initially said, we're living in the present. For all we know, the near future is gonna be Ashleymania.

(And don't worry, I'm not on the anti-criticism bandwagon. I'm of the mind that consumers have every right to speak up about products they are interested in.)

Last edited:

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
I think given that Nintendo chose the next characters for Smash DLC, so long as Sakurai is okay with adding characters that were Assist Trophies, then Ashley would have a decent chance since Nintendo wants to promote her. So I could see her as a character Nintendo would want, but once again, everything falls to Sakurai, that unpredictable man.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I think given that Nintendo chose the next characters for Smash DLC, so long as Sakurai is okay with adding characters that were Assist Trophies, then Ashley would have a decent chance since Nintendo wants to promote her. So I could see her as a character Nintendo would want, but once again, everything falls to Sakurai, that unpredictable man.
This is the best-case scenario for Ashley's chances. And it isn't entirely impossible. But I can't help but think Nintendo would sooner shove a few more third-parties into Smash before they give any attention to Assist Trophies.

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
This is the best-case scenario for Ashley's chances. And it isn't entirely impossible. But I can't help but think Nintendo would sooner shove a few more third-parties into Smash before they give any attention to Assist Trophies.
I think Nintendo would prefer to market their own properties first. I'm sure it makes them more money, and they already have a strong relationship through Smash with pretty much all the significant third party developers in Japan. Especially Square Enix in particular considering all the FF content coming to Switch. Only mention them since people seem to think they have the best chances at getting a new rep. The only third party characters I can see getting in are either Rayman or Crash considering how many requests they get, and they're from third parties that have yet to become a part of Smash.

Euler23

Smash Cadet
A guy that couldn’t even make the Classic Edition of his home console is coming to Smash? Inconceivable!

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I still think Ashley has a really good chance. I wouldnt worry about her AT too much seeing as the rules for DLC appear to be different than for the base roster.

And while the AT did get a overhaul it was more in the form of touch ups to her model rather than a complete remake like the Isaac one.

It has been confirmed Nintendo will pick the DLC and you just cant ignore the glaring elephsnt in the room that Nintendo has been pushing her heavily lately. The fact that they used her to advertise WarioWare gold rather than Wario himself is testament to that fact.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Have we talked about the recent online polls for Ashley? She got 85th on a recent reddit poll and 61st on an event hub poll.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...st-excited-see-dlc-super-smash-bros-ultimate/
Considering the plethora of third-parties that fans are considering, as well as the fact that the EventHub poll was about DLC (for which most people are convinced AT characters aren't happening) I guess that's good placement. Could be better, though.

I'm sure once development for this game wraps up, it will basically be a clean slate, since the idea of ATs and DLC won't be tainting people's opinions on various characters.

I still think Ashley has a really good chance. I wouldnt worry about her AT too much seeing as the rules for DLC appear to be different than for the base roster.

And while the AT did get a overhaul it was more in the form of touch ups to her model rather than a complete remake like the Isaac one.

It has been confirmed Nintendo will pick the DLC and you just cant ignore the glaring elephsnt in the room that Nintendo has been pushing her heavily lately. The fact that they used her to advertise WarioWare gold rather than Wario himself is testament to that fact.
I agree that the AT didn't get much of a touch-up. Basically, the extent of her upgrade is red eyes. Everything else is a standard graphical upgrade that everyone and everything got.

However, I have my hang-ups about jumping feet first back into believing she's a shoo-in. It's exactly how I felt between E3 and the August Direct, that she was an inevitable playable character because of how much Nintendo was pushing her. And now that she retains her Assist Trophy role, I have to ask how much this will help her in the realm of DLC, if it didn't put her on the base roster.

I suppose I'd rather be pleasantly surprised over being overly optimistic, and then let down a second time.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Fun fax: The Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream runs monthly character popularity polls and for the January 2019 issue, Ashley popped up in the top 20 (at #18), ahead of Daisy and um, Sans Undertale.
Well, I'll be. Ashley beat the meme himself...and Daisy.

I'm curious to see where her placement on the monthly poll goes in the coming months.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious to see where her placement on the monthly poll goes in the coming months.

These seem to vary quite a bit. Here's how the one for the October issue looked like:

1. Kirby (Kirby) – 120
  2. Mario (Mario) – 84
  3. Link (The Legend of Zelda) – 80
  4. Pikachu (Pokémon)
  5. Luigi (Mario)
  6. Meta Knight (Kirby)
  7. Yoshi (Mario)
  8. Waddle Dee (Kirby)
  9. Wario (Made in Wario)
  10. Zelda (The Legend of Zelda)
  11. Rowlet (Pokémon)
  12. Sonic (Sonic)
  13. Ike (Fire Emblem)
  14. Eevee (Pokémon)
  15. Inkling (Splatoon)
  16. Daisy (Mario)
  17. Marth (Fire Emblem)
  18. Agent 8 (Splatoon)
  19. Sans (Undertale)
  20. Leon (Fire Emblem)
Surprised about the lack of Waluigi tbh

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
These seem to vary quite a bit. Here's how the one for the October issue looked like:

Surprised about the lack of Waluigi tbh
Oh, now that I think about it, I've seen a couple of these posted on GoNintendo in the past.

Basically, from what I've seen, the only constants seem to be:

- Kirby is #1.
- Waddle Dee is (more likely than not) going to be somewhere in the middle.
- Sans.

But maybe Ashley will start a new tradition?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Better taste? Then again, they like Tingle...
And? Tingle is a neat character. Except in WW, where they made him a horrible person.

We need more eccentric and unique characters in Nintendo series anyway.

I've been supporting Tingle and Ashley as choices for a while now. There's a lot of fun and unique characters. Sure, many of our favorites will never get in, but I never really understood the hate towards different characters that get so beyond crazy that people make derogatory nicknames, or flame/troll others. There's no point. Not that people should like every character. That's just silly.

Top Bottom