• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Just wait. Ashley is going to kick Wario out. Surely she doesn't trust Wario in this type of position!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Has Nintendo done this type of advertising for Wario games in the past? This might be the first time they're doing it if that leads to any extended possibilities related to Ashley, but it could just very easily be a large advertisement for the game and nothing more.

Let's hope its the former today.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Let's play a little game!!!

Try to guess whose colors are these?

I give you a hint:
3 wario characters
6 fighter characters
4 characters from the same studio but different games
2 anime characters

Have fun!

The only ones I recognize are Mona, Syrup, and Wario, oh and Squiggly.

These look amazing btw.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Uh, guys....

What happened to Nintendo of America's twitter? :p

yeahiknowit'sjustreferencingWarioWareGold'sreleaseattheendofthedaybutstill
That's Walui- er... I mean Wario's laugh! They know Ashley's in Smash! THIS ISN'T A DRILL PEOPLE NINTENDO WILL REVEAL ASHLEY TONIGHT!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
That's Walui- er... I mean Wario's laugh! They know Ashley's in Smash! THIS ISN'T A DRILL PEOPLE NINTENDO WILL REVEAL ASHLEY TONIGHT!
I want to hope for that, really, especially if they have Ashley take over the account herself as that would be quite characteristic of her.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
What better way for Sakurai to celebrate his birthday than to reveal Ashley at EVO!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
"Wario" just tweeted about Mario Sunshine.

If he tweets about Ashley, then I'm convinced that this is happening for more than just a WarioWare promotion.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Wario just hijacked Nintendo, where's Bill when you need him?
Also, I don't expect a reveal tonight but a new build would be cool. We could see some more ATs that aren't Ashley, further strengthening her chances!

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Would they really reveal a new character on twitter of all places?

I don't see it happening, almost all Smash characters are revealed during Directs. Like I don't imagine an Ashley trailer suddenly uploaded to twitter out of nowhere.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Cybersai, they can't rely on directs anymore for that. They don't have the same amount of time like Smash 4 did to reveal them.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well, we have seven hours till the exhibition matches for Super Smash Bros Ultimate begin, where we might find our answers and more then.

Fingers crossed!!!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I would love to see this Wario taking over Nintendo's twitter thing leading up to an Ashley reveal. That would be a rather unique way to do it. Before Wario signs off, he could say something like "by the way, one of my fellow game developers will be joining me in Smash Bros Ultimate" or something like that and then posts the Ashley reveal trailer.

Was Rosalina's reveal a part of a Direct, or was she just randomly dropped one day?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...notice someone is missing from this pic from the currently Wario Twitter?
1533319167580.png

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
They could go back to the Dojo days and reveal characters through site updates. Maybe have the WARNING sign shown when you enter the site and then a pop-up with the trailer, so you don’t get spoiled before watching

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Really? I coulda swore those came after...
Awakening was really popular, even before Smash, so it’s no surprise that there was Lucina merchandise beforehand.

I would love to see this Wario taking over Nintendo's twitter thing leading up to an Ashley reveal. That would be a rather unique way to do it. Before Wario signs off, he could say something like "by the way, one of my fellow game developers will be joining me in Smash Bros Ultimate" or something like that and then posts the Ashley reveal trailer.

Was Rosalina's reveal a part of a Direct, or was she just randomly dropped one day?
Rosalina was part of the 2013 December Direct my dude.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
So, I don't know if any of you remember this, but when I first started posting here, I believe that I alluded to a moveset that I was creating. Well, I have found the time to sit down and think about it some more, so here it is.

I put a lot of emphasis on the relationship between Ashley and Red, but I also took a cue from this thread and added a move that allows Ashley to debuff her opponents.

Ashley Moveset Proposal

- Ashley is a lightweight character, approximately as heavy as Villager. She is decently agile in the air, but with a slightly slower ground speed than her weight class would indicate. She is also a mid/long-range fighter; her strongest moves are most effective against opponents further away.
- Red is always following closely behind Ashley, ready and willing to lend his transformational powers to bolster Ashley's attacks. Allow Red to be KO'd by an opponent - yes, he has his own hurtbox and health - and you will quickly see just how important he is to maintaining Ashley's power.
- Ashley without Red utilizes her new wand - known from here on out as the "normal wand" - from WarioWare Gold, which is significantly weaker than her more iconic wand. However, when Red is by her side, she can utilize his power by using his wand form - known from here on out as the "Red wand" - as well as his other transformations, which are stronger than their counterparts.
- The only way to respawn Red is for Ashley to be KO'd. Red will be with her when she respawns. (Think Ice Climbers.) Red can also be respawned by using Ashley's Final Smash.

Idle: Ashley stands eerily still, occasionally looking around in disinterest.
- Red flies at Ashley's side, occasionally landing on her shoulder to look around. Ashley looks perturbed when this happens, prompting Red to jump back into the air.
Walk Cycle: Ashley marches forward, similar to her walking animation in the WarioWare Gold minigame. Her walking animation is rather quick, for a simple walking cycle.
- Red hovers closely behind Ashley. He never veers far from her side.
Running Cycle: Ashley hurries to a slight jog. It isn't much faster than her walking cycle.
- Red hovers hurriedly, slightly further behind Ashley. Running too much in one direction will put quite a gap between Red and Ashley, leaving Ashley at a disadvantage.
- Red can only desync from Ashley during the running animation, or if an opponent's attack hits him, but not Ashley. In the air, he keeps up with her very well.

Neutral Attack (with Red): Ashley uses the Red wand to pummel the opponent twice (P). Red then turns into a large tome, which shoots a series of star projectiles forward (S). Ashley then finishes off the combo with an upward blast of magic from the Red wand (M).
(P-P/SSS-SSS-SSS/M)
- Without Red, Ashley's Neutral Attack is simply the first and last part of the combo, P-P/M. Since these attacks are with Ashley's basic wand, they are comparably weaker.
Forward Tilt (with Red): Ashley blasts the ground in front of her from a downward diagonal angle with the Red wand.
- Without Red, the move is the same, except it utilizes the normal wand, making it weaker.
Up Tilt (with Red): Red transforms into a broom and sweeps the air above Ashley.
- Without Red, Ashley simply waves her wand above her head, leaving a slim trail of dark magic.
Down Tilt: Ashley sweeps forward with her normal wand. Red sweeps with his trident in the opposite direction. Ashley's wand does minimal damage, while Red's trident deals a damage-less trip.
- Without Red, Ashley's attack doesn't change, but Red isn't there to trip opponents from behind.
Dash Attack: Ashley jabs forward with her normal wand while Red divebombs the ground with his trident.
- Red isn't there to jab the opponent with his trident if he has been split up from Ashley.

Forward Smash: Ashley charges up a dark spell with the Red wand, an attack that has a reach only slightly shorter than Wolf's Forward Smash. A fully charged F-Smash features the possibility of a "misfire", a magical blast that functions as a kill move, but covers Ashley and Red in sut and leaves them dazed for a second.
- Without Red, Ashley uses her normal wand, without the possibility of "misfiring".
Up Smash: Ashley blasts a ghastly cloud of magical smoke above her head, similar to a shorter-lasting Mewtwo Up Smash.
- Without Red, the cloud is thinner and conjured by the normal wand.
Down Smash: Ashley (using the normal wand) and Red (using his trident) jam their respective weapons into the ground, blasting the ground around them with magic in a vein similar to Mega Man's Down Smash.
- Without Red, Ashley only covers her side of the Down Smash.

Neutral Aerial: Ashley's Red wand floats in a circle around her twice, before Ashley catches it.
- Without Red, Ashley sweeps in a circular motion using her normal wand.
Forward Aerial: Ashley jabs forward with the Red wand, blasting a small burst of dark magic which propels Ashley backwards.
- Without Red, this move is done with the weaker normal wand, and doesn't propel Ashley.
Back Aerial: Ashley whips around and casts a spell behind her.
- With the Red wand, this move is strong enough to propel Ashley forward.
- Without Red, this move simply causes the oponent to flinch and gain a little damage.
Up Aerial: Red transforms into a book and sweeps above Ashley. This aerial is sluggish, but packs quite a punch.
- Without Red, Ashley simply sweeps with her arm. Ashley isn't known for her physical prowess, so this move is one of her weakest.
Down Aerial: Ashley casts a spell below her with the Red wand. If timed and placed correctly, it is an effective meteor smash.
- Without Red, this move is carried out with the normal wand, which doesn't carry meteor smash capabilities.

Grab: Ashley pulls the opponent to her by directing her normal wand in their direction, as if she is using a magical tractor beam.
- Ashley's grab game is not afflicted by Red's status. She has a decently long range, but it is not the longest in the game.
Pummel: Ashley jabs her wand forward, shocking the opponent.
Forward Throw: Ashley charges up a spell and sends the opponent flying, shooting a second blast of dark magic at the opponent in midair.
Back Throw: Ashley tosses the opponent like a wadded up piece of paper. The throw is incredibly weak.
Up Throw: Red jabs the opponent with his trident and flies into the sky, crashing back to the surface and sending the opponent flying upward.
- Without Red, this throw is only changed aesthetically. It is Ashley's wand, propelling itself, that jabs the opponent and sends them into the sky.
Down Throw: Ashley throws the opponent to the ground, blasting them with a face-full of magic.

Standard Special: Ashley shoots a mid-range purple lightning projectile out of her fingers. Similar to Fox's Blaster, Ashley's Lightning deals very minimal damage with no knockback. Unlike the Blaster, Ashley's Lightning comes out at a slower rate, but also homes in in the direction of the closest opponent.
- With Red at her side, Ashley is able to charge this move. Using the Red wand, Ashley's fully-charged Lightning loses its homing properties, trading it for raw power and slightly longer range.
- Without Red, the Lightning move has no charging capability.
Up Special: Red transforms into a broom, sending Ashley into a loop similar to the move from her game in Game & Wario. If the player presses B before the height of the loop, Red turns into a parasol, which functions like Peach's parasol. While the broom recovery itself doesn't deal any damage, the comical *POOF* when Red transforms does deal damage, if the player can time it right.
- Without Red, Ashley doesn't have a broom to ride. Her recovery is now about as effective as Popo's when he is separated from Nana.
Side Special: Ashley summons a decently-sized monstrous plant vine to jet out of the ground in front of her.
- With Red's wand in hand, Ashley can charge the move. The longer the move is charged, the further away the monster is summoned, and the bigger the monster is.
- Without Red, Ashley doesn't have the magic at her disposal to project the monster any further away than directly in front of her.
Down Special: Ashley summons a magical cloud, similar in nature to her Assist Trophy. In its default form, the cloud is nothing more than a magical poot that inflicts the weakest meteor smash in the game on airborn opponents.
- With Red in tow, Ashley can charge her magic spell into its larger state from Smash 4. This fully-charged cloud of magic stays in one spot and remains for a limited time, while Ashley can freely move around and lure opponents to the cloud, where they will find one of a number of status ailments (and accumulative damage) waiting for them. This cloud doesn't affect Ashley.
- Without Red, this move is nothing more than the worst meteor smash in the game.

Final Smash: Magic Blast (can't think of a better name)
- Ashley mounts her broom, flying to the center of the stage and summoning an immense aura of magic. With this magic (which will only stick around for about seven seconds), the player can send out up to three blast waves (think back to Tabuu's weird one-hit KO wing move). Each wave can be dodged, but will inflict a one-hit KO to those who fail to dodge them.

Taunt 1: Ashley dusts her shoulder while looking forward with a look of inconvenience.
Taunt 2: Ashley crosses her arms and shakes her head, spouting a frustrated "C'mon...".
Taunt 3: Ashley aims her wand skyward and proclaims "Hocus Pocus!"

Victory Theme: A riff of the melody from "Halloween Fantasy"
Victory 1: Ashley stirs a witch's brew in her cauldron, giving the camera a smirk on the freeze frame.
Victory 2: Red celebrates jubilantly next to Ashley, who gives him a white-haired death glare on the freeze frame.
Victory 3: Ashley is shown reading the tome from Smooth Moves, with her head obscured. On the freeze frame, Ashley shuts the book and looks over at the camera.
Loss Animation: Ashley, with an annoyed look on her face, slowly claps while rolling her eyes. Red claps enthusiastically behind Ashley.

I hope you all like it. I know that one of Sakurai's biggest priorities with creating a new character is being able to visualize a unique playstyle in his head, so let it be known that it took me nearly no time at all to create this once I actually sat down and started thinking about it. And if I could do it in no time flat, I'm sure Sakurai has done better, faster.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well if there was any doubt about who's the most poppular character in wario ware, the "poll" on twitter lift it , pretty much anyone who's not answering Waluigi :rolleyes: are saying Ashley in the comments.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman

I am pretty sure Rosalina was in a direct, however, Lucina and Robin dropped randomly with no real special occasion.

Announcing Ashley secretly today would be amazing and surprising! Say they announced a new fighter announcement, everyone would be guessing Ashley and kinda ruin the surprise. So dropping it without warning would be amazing!

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
That’s odd... It’s missing Ashley...

Could it be???
Ashley confirmed. I made a new account to support my favorite girl Ashley. I’ve been following the thread for a while (over 100 pages yay). I fell in love with her song in brawl and soon got me interested in WarioWare. Gonna buy gold today... can’t wait anymore. Ashley for Smashly.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Ashley confirmed. I made a new account to support my favorite girl Ashley. I’ve been following the thread for a while (over 100 pages yay). I fell in love with her song in brawl and soon got me interested in WarioWare. Gonna buy gold today... can’t wait anymore. Ashley for Smashly.
Welcome aboard! Ashley for Smashley!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I am pretty sure Rosalina was in a direct, however, Lucina and Robin dropped randomly with no real special occasion.

Announcing Ashley secretly today would be amazing and surprising! Say they announced a new fighter announcement, everyone would be guessing Ashley and kinda ruin the surprise. So dropping it without warning would be amazing!
So there's no specific rule that characters have to be dropped in a Direct, then. They can literally announce a new character whenever they want, and today would be a perfect day for Ashley's reveal.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I love how all the Ashley comments are getting the most likes. Nintendo clearly knows that she's popular.

Waluigi is getting lots of likes as well, but he's already destined to assist trophy limbo for now.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention he isn't even a WarioWare character. What is with the Waluigi fanbase trying to shove Waluigi into this WarioWARE contest

Edit : Not to diss on Waluigi Fans, but come on! Vote Ashley at least~ lol

Last edited:

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
It seems like they have only replied to an Ashley post and a Wario post. Good signs indeed.

Top Bottom