• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Literal Superstar: Starfy for SSB4 (Assist Trophy status apparently confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
I just happened to pick up the Legendary Starfy game today and so far I really like it! plus I LOVE aquatic settings =p he has my support

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I picked Legendary Starfy back up yesterday after looking through this thread. That game's still solid. I'm considering completing it 100% just because I like it so much.

In other news, I'm feeling like Starfy has almost as much of a chance as even Little Mac. They're both Brawl Assist Trophies who had a post-Brawl sequel release. The only difference is the shift in overall popularity: Mac's big in the West, Starfy in the East (and that could certainly be a strong point). I don't remember if I've shown my support for the little prince anywhere outside of my sig, but if he makes the cut...I might just have a new main! That is, unless Chibi Robo makes the cut, as well.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I picked Legendary Starfy back up yesterday after looking through this thread. That game's still solid. I'm considering completing it 100% just because I like it so much.

In other news, I'm feeling like Starfy has almost as much of a chance as even Little Mac. They're both Brawl Assist Trophies who had a post-Brawl sequel release. The only difference is the shift in overall popularity: Mac's big in the West, Starfy in the East (and that could certainly be a strong point). I don't remember if I've shown my support for the little prince anywhere outside of my sig, but if he makes the cut...I might just have a new main! That is, unless Chibi Robo makes the cut, as well.
Beware the true challenges in the end game.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo Direct in just under 7 hours! Probably a low chance of getting a newcommer reveal but heres to Starfy eventually getting revealed c:.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Every Newcomer is good enough for me, Starfy or not, so I will cheer for everyone!
Go Starfy the Golden Star under the Sea ~

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
With Luma coming along with Rosalina, its harder to Starfy make it in.

I'm not here to gloat. I'm here to say I feel for you, Starfy supporters.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
You people are obsesed with character disconfirmation...

When a newcomer is revelead is actually natural expect another one similar to it, mainly because is easier to implement, or are we forgeting luigi and jiggs in 64 and the 6 melee clones?

Luma is just one of rosys tools which also have different colors.
Starfy will be a character focused on air control with many funny looking moves and that gets tide if spin too much.
Similar moves? probably some, yes, but there is enough difference between them at my eyes.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't think Luma's appearance will have any affect on Starfy. Starfy is a unique character, hinging his inclusion simply based on his appearance or potential interaction with Kirby is utterly silly.

But we'll see in the coming months when the game is released, no use talking about things that we won't know until the time is right.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Starfy, I think, deserves a place in this game more than yet another Mario character because of him being from a new series and this game being labeled as NINTENDO's All Stars. If the Luma seriously had any affect on Starfy I will be very sad as one of the things I think this roster needs is more series diversity and Starfy along with other characters like Isaac, Little Mac and Shulk to name a few would really help expand on that. I know Mario, Zelda and Pokémon are Nintendo's biggest series but the roster should really not be dominated by those characters when Nintendo means so much more than Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. With such a variety of franchises the roster should be reflect this.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Decided to make a moveset for Starfy because I was bored. It includes some transformation powers in his normal moves a la Megaman (although I had this idea before Megaman's reveal as I feel it should have been expanded upon for Kirby). Anyway, here it is.

I imagine Starfy would be a fast and lightweight character capable of pulling fast combos. In fact, I think he should be a combo type character with a lot of chain type moves. Of course because he is lightweight he can be knocked off the stage easily but... he has good recovery options. In fact, Starfy would have 3 jumps as well as a glide. While a little sluggish and awkward on the ground he would be very floaty to make it seems as if he was swimming (his second and third jumps would actually be his swimming animation from the games). To further expand on the water mimicking aspect of Starfy, he would essentially be an aerial king with fast aerial movement and both strong and fast aerials. This doesn't mean he's a fish out of water on the ground though. He could still have pretty powerful moves that combo into each other easily as said before. In the end, Starfy, although looks cute, could be a formidable and surprisingly powerful character if used correctly and to his full potential. Not to mention he would give Jigglypuff and Yoshi a run for their money.

Statistics:

Size: 3 (about as big as Kirby)
Weight: 2
Power: 5
Speed: 6 ( This is ground speed, air speed would be between Jigglypuff and Wario... so very fast)
Jump: 9
Crawl? Yes
Glide? Yes
Wall Jump? No
Wall Cling? No
Crouch? Yes

Moves:

A, A, A (Neutral Attack): One arm, other arm, very quick spin in place. First hit does 2%, 2nd does 3%, 3rd does 5%.
Dash Attack: Looks just like Starfy's dash when he dashes in game with the "wheel legs". He does a faceplant and slides a little bit as if the ground is slippery (because he is wet). 11% on faceplant. 2% for slow slide. (The slide does not go very far and can be cancelled out of.)
F-Tilt: Jumps forward with belly outstretched akin to bellyslam. Can be angled. 9%.
U-Tilt: Pufftop Barrier- works differently than in his games. Borrowed from Starly. The revolving bubbles quickly appear around Starfy and rotate around him once. Each bubble does 4%. If all bubbles hit it is a total of 12% (which is likely considering how fast they move).
D-Tilt: Slide- pulled straight from game. Starfy slides on his belly. When he hits an opponent it actually sends them upward setting them up for a combo. 7%.

F-Smash: Powerful Spin- Starfy takes out Moe and spins around with him incredibly fast towards the direction indicated. Hits 2 times. 20% uncharged 1st hit, 10% uncharged 2nd hit. 30% in all if both hits connect. 25% fully charged 1st hit, 15% 2nd hit fully charged. 40% in all if both hits connect. Quick start up, very good range and huge knockback, one of Starfy's best moves.
U-Smash: Kigurumi- Throws either a giant pork cutlet or octopus leg randomly. Pork cutlet does 14%, octopus leg does 12%. Good range but start up lag.
D-Smash: Roostar- A loud yell from Starfy that emits a sound shockwave to surround him. Does 16%. Good range and very good knockback

N-Air: Starfright: Sends out 3 wisps of purple fire around him that explode on contact with a player. 16% with powerful knockback. This move is unique because the fire stays in its spot for a couple seconds even after Starfy has moved. A good edgeguarding move.
F-Air: Drill- One of Starfy's most fearsome moves. He drills forward with head outstretched. Hits 8 times. 1st hit, 8%, 2nd hit 7%, 3rd hit 6%, 4th hit 5%, 5rd hit 4%, 6nd hit 3%, 7th hit 2%, 8th hit 1%. If all hits connect a total of 36%. Very fast with good knockback (Hence why this move would be feared). Somewhat based off of the Mole Tank.
B-Air: Icy Spike- Based off of Starpedo's move of the same name. A large icy spike appears on the lower half of Starfy's body as he quickly shoots backwards. It has freezing capabilities. 18% without freeze, 20% with freeze. Decent knockback. (I think you're starting to see why I called Starfy an aerial king.)
U-Air: Starfy outstretches his head point for quickly. His weakest aerial but is quick and easy to chain with as well as combo. 8%. Fast with low knockback.
D-Air: Gear Spin- Spins sideways like a gear. 16%. A powerful meteor smash if it connects under Starfy. If it connects with the side or above Starfy then there is decent knockback.
Glide Attack: Spins. Does 12% with decent knockback.
Floor Attack: Kicks on either side of himself. Does 4% each side with poor knockback.
Edge Attacks:
Under 100%- Rolls forward. 8%
Over 100%: Same as above, but slower. 10%
Grab: A simple two-handed grab. There is poor range though.
Pummel: Slaps across the face. Does 2% each hit.
Forward throw: Does a spinning throw in which he grasps the opponent spins with them and throws them forward. 10% Similar to Mario and Luigi's. Slight knockback.
Back Throw: Does the same spinning throw only throws them backwards instead. 10% Similar to Mario and Luigi's. Slight knockback
Up Throw: Throws player like a pork cutlet and spins underneath them juggling them. 12% if all hits connect. Good knockback for a throw.
Down Throw: Starfy lays down on the opponent and pushes them to the side form underneath him. Cute right? 7%. Slight knockback.

Special Moves:
B: Star Spin- A charageable attack where Starfy spins in place. There are 3 levels of intensity. All of them hit multiple times. The 1st is the weakest and happens if there is little to no charge. Appears blue with no bubbles. Can suck players in only when extremely close (very little pull). Does 8% damage if all hits connect. The 2nd happens if you charge it quite a bit. It appears as blue, more like water with bubbles. Does 12% if all hits connect and has some decent pull. Enemies can be a little farther away to be pulled in. The 3rd stage is the most powerful and appears as white rapids with a lot of bubbles. Does 16% damage and is hard to escape. Pulls players in from about a whole Bowser's length away. It also has good knockback at the end (Stages 1 and 2 have poor and decent knockback respectively). Can not be held and walked around with like a Charge Shot and Giant Punch, it comes out immediately. Able to be moved akin to Luigi Tornado, but not very far.
>B: Ultra Star Spin: Works much differently than it does in his games. Starfy does a kind of sideways spin that propels him forward and off the ground. Can also be charged to allow for farther distance and slight boost in power. Uncharged does 14%, slightly charged does 16% and fully charged does 18%. Also capable of sucking close players in. Can be used as a recovery move.
Up B: Surf Jump- Jumps up very quickly and shoots in the up direction. 10% with little knockback. This move goes right through opponents.
Down B: Shooting Star- Similar to Yoshi and Bowser Bomb except with some key differences. This move can be angled in any direction not just downward even when in the air (example would be shooting upwards after a jump). It can also be curved but only VERY slightly. Another quick move that is useful for recovery. Does 12%.
Final Smash: Monstar- Starfy transforms into Monstar. In this form you can blow powerful fire by holding B. The fire can cause burn damage along with the initial damage to opponents and STAYS IN PLACE on the stage until the end of the FS. The fire that stays on the stage also causes damage when touched and decent knockback. Your goal would be to hit the players and coat the stage with this fire so that it is hard for them to not receive damage. Further more you can angle the fire. The fire causes heavy damage that helps rack up an opponents damage quickly when continuously spewed at them. You can also jump with this form but not as high as usual as Starfy becomes much heavier. At the end of the FS, Starfy automatically does one big jump which makes the ground shake for large knockback as well as putting out the fires.

Up Taunt: Mini version of boss defeat victory dance
Side Taunt: Spins around and winks his right eye
Down Taunt: Hides in Moe

Entrance: Starfy rides in on a Catfish Boat after a splash of water douses where he enters from the stage (he appears to enter from the down direction as if jumping out of water.
Idle pose: Eventually falls asleep

Winning animation 1: Boss defeat victory dance
Winning animation 2: Sits and smiles next to Moe
Losing animation: Cries and wipes his eyes

Let me know what you think please! :bee:

D

Deleted member

Not exactly a Merry Christmas present...

I feel sorry for Starfy suppoters, especially for Young Horsetail.

And now, for the sad theme.

D

Deleted member

I knew this was going to happen, hence why I dropped all support for the character a while ago.
I saw this coming as well. There wasn't any indication that Sakurai was changing his mind on Starfy pre-E3 2013 and I moved on from him. Villager's confirmation gave me hope that Sakurai might reconsider Starfy, but I still doubted his inclusion.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
bummer, i like stary more than random luma's but i kinda figured this was going to happen after rosalina and luma were confirmed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It sucks that Starfy is still an Assist Trophy. This only further cements my belief that Sakurai is not adding second-party Nintendo characters unless they are Pokemon. I'm not as disappointed with this as I am with Toad... mainly because I knew Starfy is a second-party Nintendo character. He still has my support... Nintendo really needs to get full rights to Starfy series from TOSE so he would be first-party.

D

Deleted member

It sucks that Starfy is still an Assist Trophy. This only further cements my belief that Sakurai is not adding second-party Nintendo characters unless they are Pokemon. I'm not as disappointed with this as I am with Toad... mainly because I knew Starfy is a second-party Nintendo character. He still has my support... Nintendo really needs to get full rights to Starfy series from TOSE so he would be first-party.
I don't think that Starfy's disconfirmation had anything to do with him being second-party. He wasn't exactly a likely character and had a lot going against him that did not relate to being second-party. Plus we already have Mega Man and Sonic in Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think that Starfy's disconfirmation had anything to do with him being second-party. He wasn't exactly a likely character and had a lot going against him that did not relate to being second-party. Plus we already have Mega Man and Sonic in Smash.
Mega Man and Sonic are not partially owned by Nintendo like Starfy is... so he's a low priority Nintendo character from a C-list franchise. The other two are fully owned by Capcom and Sega respectively... and they are like V.I.P., since Nintendo had legal agreements to include them...

D

Deleted member

Mega Man and Sonic are not partially owned by Nintendo like Starfy is... so he's a low priority Nintendo character from a C-list franchise. The other two are fully owned by Capcom and Sega respectively... and they are like V.I.P., since Nintendo had legal agreements to include them...
If Starfy was first-party, he would still be a low priority Nintendo character from a C-list franchise and he would have still not gotten in this game. Plus third-party additions, no matter what people say, are the most difficult additions to make and why Sakurai stress how incredibly difficult it is to add third-parties. Starfy failed to get in because Sakurai did not deem him worthy of playable status, not because of second-party status.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sorry Starfy fans...

This really wasn't the Christmas present we were hoping for. :(

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe that rumor about Sakurai disliking/hating Starfy for being similar to Kirby or something isn't so farfetched...? Hmmm...

Also, I don't like Starfy's model in SSB4... his legs are too small compared to his arms... it looks nothing like his official artwork for The Legendary Starfy (DS).

D

Deleted member

If "2nd-party" had any **** to do with anything, Starfy wouldn't be in the game at all.

Only antagonistic thing I'm going to allow myself to say on Christmas.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
:(

It's like I called the foreshadowing of Luma knocking away Starfy's chances to be playable... Just keep spinnin', Starf. Just keep spinnin'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom