• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Literal Superstar: Starfy for SSB4 (Assist Trophy status apparently confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
If "2nd-party" had any **** to do with anything, Starfy wouldn't be in the game at all.

Only antagonistic thing I'm going to allow myself to say on Christmas.
I love this kind of reasoning.

"No Sakurai will never get a deal with Konami to use Simon Belmont as a playable character in Sm4sh. Maybe a Castlevania stage though...". I mean come on.

Also you people really overrate the freedom of second party houses. Do you really think Nintendo can't simply force Monolith to give Shulk to Sakurai for example? Monolith is OWNED by Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

I love this kind of reasoning.

"No Sakurai will never get a deal with Konami to use Simon Belmont as a playable character in Sm4sh. Maybe a Castlevania stage though...". I mean come on.

Also you people really overrate the freedom of second party houses. Do you really think Nintendo can't simply force Monolith to give Shulk to Sakurai for example? Monolith is OWNED by Nintendo.
Becauase we have third-party characters in Smash, it shows that if Sakurai wants a second-party character, he will put in the effort to get one in. So if Sakurai were to want Isaac or Saki, second-party status wouldn't stop Sakurai from putting in the effort to get them in. It's a matter of whenever or not Sakurai wants them.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Becauase we have third-party characters in Smash, it shows that if Sakurai wants a second-party character, he will put in the effort to get one in. So if Sakurai were to want Isaac or Saki, second-party status wouldn't stop Sakurai from putting in the effort to get them in. It's a matter of whenever or not Sakurai wants them.
That's exactly what I said.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Poor Starfy. Not that I expected him, but I feel really sad for Horsetail.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well that's that, huh?

Shame, with a few more games to his name in recent years, assuming they also released worldwide, he could've really had a shot.

Has the line to hug Horsetail formed yet?

D

Deleted member

Sorry to all of the Starfy fans. :( I am upset myself as I would have loved to play as Starfy in this game. Starfy getting disconfirmed gets me nervous for Little Mac's future…
Merry Christmas everyone. A part of your dreams have been crushed.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Sorry to all of the Starfy fans. :( I am upset myself as I would have loved to play as Starfy in this game. Starfy getting disconfirmed gets me nervous for Little Mac's future…
Not mine. He would have end up being a Joke Fighter, anyway.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice

I think Little Mac has a much better chance than Starfy ever did. Punch-Out is a fairly popular series, his newest game is pretty recent and was very well-recived, and Little Mac is one of the most requested characters for the new roster. Plus, I think it's easier to give Little Mac a proper moveset than a character like Starfy. One other thing to keep in mind is the fact that Little Mac first appearing in the NES era may help as well. Since Melee, we have gotten a character that represents the NES era added to the roster. Ice Climbers were the ones in Melee, and ROB was the one in Brawl. I think Little Mac may get in as this game's retro character.

I could be wrong, but Little Mac is one of the safer bets as a newcomer. He has alot going for him, and I would be very surprised if he does not make it at this point.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
First Sakurai basically destroy my hopes for Paper mario, my second most wanted character.
And now he deconfirm Starfy, my third most wanted character, on cristmas D=

Don't you dare deconfirm Ridley the 1st january, Sakurai 'n'

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I had a feeling Luma killed Starfy's chances. Man, I have another reason to be mad at Rosalina's inclusion.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It seems that today's screenshot is a huge blow to the Starfy supporters, as it seems that he's an Assist Trophy once again.

D

Deleted member

You know, I didn't really want Starfy that much, but I still feel kinda disappointed. Sorry again, Starfy fans.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You're a mean one, Mr Sakurai.
Yeah, considering his treatment of Toad on November 21, 2013 and December 18, 2013 pictures, it shouldn't be so surprising that he does this to Starfy... and on Christmas Day, no less! :(

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm sorry Starfy fans, and Horsetail. I was really pulling for him since picking up the DS game. You have my condolences.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Starfy would've made for a cute character. Ultra lightweight most likely. Maybe Sakurai didn't see the need of more tiny characters?

Saw this coming when Rosalina brought her Luma though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Merry Christmas to all of us Starfy-fans.

I don't know whether to thank you all for just sticking to the bitter end or just have said that you all guys could have just done what Habanero/Xenoblade did eons ago to avoid this. Take it anyway you like, I'm in both sides.

I give up now on any dreams in seeing Starfy as a fighter or even an IP featured in Smash Bros and say that this is best Starfy's efforts can get. He's not ironically, anything near of a legendary (maybe it was the point) superstar compared to the fighters in the roster in this series, truthfully if looking through every criteria he was asked for (Squirtle and now Luma have now trumped him in every way).

But maybe it's a smart choice... as much as it pains me to say it, it is clear that TOSE hasn't shown any interest to the series since 2009's localization.
And fanbase itself hasn't been anything notably huge to make Sakurai give anymore worth than Goldeen-esque presentation of their princely star(fish).
(Anyone interested to translated the first 4 games? Anyone?)

If anything, it all clicks together as the most sensible choice: both the fans and the company itself didn't just care about this series enough to be anything bigger than it was Pre-Brawl (aside from localization, but even after that nothing was done to the series since despite some ports finally being open.). And even then look, Rosalina and Luma brought even more hype and unique fighting style than Starfy had ever could, both from fans' or Sakurai's viewpoint-wise.

TL;DR Starfy has been basically dead since 2008's localization. Or if not exaggarating, in his most lowest point in it's career. And if it might be fate, it shall be abandoned this way forever. this is perhaps even more generous than we might think it being: TOSE and his whole fanbase (outside from here) just didn't care enough to do more bigger effort. And even then Sakurai saw Luma as more uniquely potent and appealing to add for this game along with Rosalina.

I might gradually abandon this series for all the reasons above because to be honest, the positive light is that Starfy was noted again. The negatives though overshadow it all during and to the far future to come. Unless TOSE totally reinvents the series and tries to pour more effort to it so it won't stay in shadows. Not many have seen a marine platformer so these guys could have tried to be it's pioneers... but it just never came to be that.

I'm sorry for really negative farewell but to be honest... I can't just think anything positive to cheer us up now that Starf has bitten the dust for second time. Maybe we should just face the facts and move on. It's up to the creators themselves if they want to give Starfy one more shot...

Horsetail, out.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I will admit that i wouldn't have minded Starfy. Would've been cute to see him mess around with the Luma during battle. Oh well. Back to being the punching bag that fights back/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't have minded Starfy either. Seemed like a good choice, although not altogheter too likely. Maybe Sakurai just didn't want another super tiny lightweight in the roster? If there's no tiny lightweight newcomer in this time, I think Starfy might have a good shot next time. Yeah sure, that's what was said last time to. But remember, Starfy is a running series and has just came out internationally. It's not as big of a series yet as the Wii series (why we got Wii Fit Trainer) or Animal Crossing but it might still happen some time.

Merry Christmas Horsetail. Don't let it get you down too much!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well don't get too down Horsetail, if we do eventually get more worldwide Starfy games, he really could have a shot in the future. And the last one did do decently in the new markets, so why we haven't already seen another is quite surprising. With how popular the 3DS is and everything, I'd have a hard time imagining Nintendo and TOSE wouldn't eventually want to capitalize off that. Portables are Starfy's home after all.

That said, the people still clinging to the hope he's somehow playable this time, you're only kidding yourselves. He'd be cool, but it's pretty clear he's been AT'd again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom