• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Literal Superstar: Starfy for SSB4 (Assist Trophy status apparently confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quoting GoldenYuuitusin on why Starfy seems being implemented on Smash Bros the way he is:

I honestly feel the whole "Sakurai hates Starfy" thing is blown way out of proportion.
I mean, Sakurai never actually said "Starfy, why did you even come here?", he said that "sometimes you may wonder 'Starfy, why did you even come here?'" as in, the player questioning why Starfy showed up if he's going to be more likely useless than useful. Then finished with "But that's part of his charm."

I'm not a Starfy fan, but it seems odd that I see how true to Starfy's clumsy, forgetful, and naïve personality it is when those that want to claim how "oh, Sakurai hates him" don't. It's probably because they're too busy fuming over the fact he isn't playable in the first place.

And considering that Starfy's best when in the water, it makes since that he's kind of pathetic on dry land. Yeah, I know he can do better than what was shown in Brawl, but so can Goldeen, yet it acts like a typical fish out of water in Smash.

With that said, I'll just live with that for now. I suggest to not support Starfy ever in the near future unless he has made any big splash (pun not intended)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think people are being over dramatic regarding Starfy's disconfirmation. Just suck it up and accept the facts as they are.

It's not like the game is going to be inherently bad because this, now is it?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not to minimize Starfy, but peoples' reaction to this won't be nearly as dramatic as when we get a character deconfirmed that was generally thought to be a safe choice.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Oh man... thought he actually had a chance this time. Oh well. Starting to doubt my thoughts of "new series" representation. I'll seriously be bummed if Isaac and Little Mac are disconfirmed.

D

Deleted member

Not to minimize Starfy, but peoples' reaction to this won't be nearly as dramatic as when we get a character deconfirmed that was generally thought to be a safe choice.
If characters like Little Mac, Ridley, or King K. Rool get an official disconfirmation, then… oh dear, I don't want to think about it. It will get ugly however.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
...the water argument? you guys really believe thats the reason? :lick:

I dont see too much drama anyways, is just the first day.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If characters like Little Mac, Ridley, or King K. Rool get an official disconfirmation, then… oh dear, I don't want to think about it. It will get ugly however.
We already got a nice little sample of how things would unfold on the day of the Great Ridley Panic.

Oh man... thought he actually had a chance this time. Oh well. Starting to doubt my thoughts of "new series" representation. I'll seriously be bummed if Isaac and Little Mac are disconfirmed.
Not to say the theory is correct, but there are still plenty of new/unrepresented series left.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just because his role is confirmed, I don't see a reason for all Starfy (or whatever characters get deconfirmed in the future) discussion to cease, so no, the thread won't be locked.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's just more painful that Starfy isn't in when we have a chubby star that IS playable (sort of) and isn't him.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Meh, can't say I'm disappointed or anything. Starfy's games haven't been good since the GBA, but they're always gonna be some of the best platformers on it. Smash 5 ho :|

I wonder the other chances of ATs becoming playable are. If Little Mac isn't actually playable this time then WHO will?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mewtwo? Ridley? Sheik? Pick your poison. :troll:

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I think Little Mac has a much better chance than Starfy ever did. One thing to keep in mind is the fact that Little Mac first appearing in the NES era may help as well. Since Melee, we have gotten a character that represents the NES era added to the roster. Ice Climbers were the ones in Melee, and ROB was the one in Brawl. I think Little Mac may get in as this game's retro character.
Isn't Mega Man the trailer-revealed retro character of SSB4 (like Pit or the Ice Climbers)?

D

Deleted member

Well don't get too down Horsetail, if we do eventually get more worldwide Starfy games, he really could have a shot in the future. And the last one did do decently in the new markets, so why we haven't already seen another is quite surprising. With how popular the 3DS is and everything, I'd have a hard time imagining Nintendo and TOSE wouldn't eventually want to capitalize off that. Portables are Starfy's home after all.

That said, the people still clinging to the hope he's somehow playable this time, you're only kidding yourselves. He'd be cool, but it's pretty clear he's been AT'd again.
I'd like to pick up a Starfy game eventually. I do remember being interested in The Legendary Starfy, but never got it. I'd be surprised if we didn't get a game for the 3DS. As for Starfy being playable in future Smash games... let's just hope that he isn't a joke Assist Trophy this time (not that Sakurai hates Starfy).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I never thought Starfy had a huge chance, simply based on my disinterest in him.

The title of this thread should not say 'Assist Trophy status apparently confirmed." It should say, "Assist Trophy Status confirmed"

He's an assist trophy. If you ask me, I think he fits that role fine, and I don't think people should be butthurt over it either.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I never thought Starfy had a huge chance, simply based on my disinterest in him.
Wait... what? You think a character doesn't have a chance based on your personal opinion of it? What kind of logic is that?

There are a lot of characters I personally don't care about, like Fire Emblem characters, but that doesn't mean I think Chrom doesn't have a chance. Of course he does! And my tastes have nothing to do with it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wait... what? You think a character doesn't have a chance based on your personal opinion of it? What kind of logic is that?

There are a lot of characters I personally don't care about, like Fire Emblem characters, but that doesn't mean I think Chrom doesn't have a chance. Of course he does! And my tastes have nothing to do with it.
I acknowledge the fact that he had s chance, but I never considered him a likely choice compared to the competition he had.

After finding out what he could do a few weeks ago, my opinion was unmoved. I just don't think he's playable material.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
No threads get locked because a character is deconfirmed. We still can talk about Starfy, how much we would have liked to have seen him playable, why he isn't playable, etc.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Kind of sucks that he ins't playable. But I'm not the biggest fan of his. So I'm not too hung up on it. Though it sucks to have any character deconfirmed.

Maybe his transformations would be too annoying to implement.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's much more worse when it's the main character of an entire franchise. You feel as if the whole franchise itself just got stepped on, not just a single character. That's why I don't feel as bad when a character like Toad doesn't get in, because at least his franchise is getting love.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Sorry to double post but I just noticed something. They really didn't improve Starfy's model in this game that much. Uh what do I mean by that? Look a his mouth. It's just a flat texture rather than having depth and modeled out. They didn't evenbetter making look that much better. More disappointment!

D

Deleted member

Toon Link's mouth is still flat.
Villager's mouth is flat.

Pretty sure it's a design choice.

CadePirate

Smash Apprentice
Him vs Kirby would be the day I have the chills when playing Super Smash Bros. 4. Spinning would one day clash with sucking. The Super Tuff Pink Puff shall face the Dreaded Strong Yellow Star.
BEST. THING. EVAR.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Not trying to revive the thread for negative whining reasons but I need this to be addressed.

So I got to find out that now all Assists (I think?) can be hit in SSB4. At least Midna and Magnus are one of them.

I can understand them trying to make Starfy seem charming now that basically he’s even more pointless and worthless as a character inclusion in this entire series. And no, I don’t even find the whole “Why did you even come here Staffi hurdur”-phrase catcher even funny anymore, this is just demeaning Starfy and his fans in my eyes, as you would easily know he's at least not this "weak" or heck, a nuisance in general. Yet we don't even get anything better as a redeeming quality than a harder-than-it-sounds damaging mechanic on him (how fitting) that should make him explode, thus turning him to a threat.

At this point though, this star is complete joke in Smash-series right now though, something that IMO is now a twisted version of him being not too good on land- and even then he always lived in the skies, geez. It's clear that that he ain’t really a "literally starfish out of a water."
Honestly, I’d be even more happier if he’d be better off staying in his own series, because that at least means saving his reputation as a protagonist of one of the lesser-done platformer genres instead of getting over and over tainted with ridiculity from the Sakurai and his team. Because this whole theming of "Starfy, why did you even come here" is really getting old.

TOSE though, I almost believe has thrown towel on Starfy because I'm really, really sure this type of patheticness does no good at making him anything marketable. Who wants to play as a pathetic Kirby-look-a-like who ruins your chances to get a good Assist?
None.

I can only hope TOSE decides to try reinventing the series or heck, reboot it, if it means we ever see Starfy resurfacing again, and not be getting compared to Kirby by fans, (and ironically his creator keeps making his portrayal look as pathetic as possible).

This is so unfortunate for me to witness and experience as a long time fan though, since 7 years.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally, as a fan of Starfy, I'm just glad to see him in Smash in general. Ah well, maybe next time he'll be playable.

If it helps, he looks a bit more useful this time around. From what I've seen, he causes slightly more damage.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Personally, as a fan of Starfy, I'm just glad to see him in Smash in general. Ah well, maybe next time he'll be playable.

If it helps, he looks a bit more useful this time around. From what I've seen, he causes slightly more damage.
Personally I think they should have made him turn into Monstar but then again none of the old AT's look like they have had drastic changes to what they did. For some I find this to be okay but for others this actually saddens me. I really do hope the series at least gets a stage...and a new game for the 3DS at some point. (I was so hoping the unannounced 3DS game was a new Starfy or Golden Sun 4).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, the good news is that Starfy is no longer the only AT that you can knock away. A lot of people were reporting that most of the ATs that caused damage could now be stunned or even sent flying.
Takes quite a novelty out of Starf though... wait, why even call it a novelty?

Why didn't they just make him invincible to damage? It would have been such great irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom