• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Literal Superstar: Starfy for SSB4 (Assist Trophy status apparently confirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Probably because of competition with at least two dozen characters. Which is justified since there is a limit to how many can be added at a time, and the fact Starfy isn't a popular pick in the west due to the butchered assist trophy giving the misconception that people think he's a weakling.
I can see that as a viable reason. I was just curious about his particular reasoning.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai never really forgot about Stafy. When fans voted and email'd sakurai during the official poll era, he replied to a stafy fan. Pretty much along the lines that he loves stafy and would like to see the possibility of both "kirby and stafy" working together

I still can't believe I remembered each journal entry religiously and by heart. Goes to show how much this franchise had an impact on people over the years

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sakurai never really forgot about Stafy. When fans voted and email'd sakurai during the official poll era, he replied to a stafy fan. Pretty much along the lines that he loves stafy and would like to see the possibility of both "kirby and stafy" working together

I still can't believe I remembered each journal entry religiously and by heart. Goes to show how much this franchise had an impact on people over the years
You already posted something similar to Sable-topic here, which doesn't also have any source. Stop making these "statements" up. Source or GO. /Get Out./

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
You already posted something similar to Sable-topic here, which doesn't also have any source. Stop making these "statements" up. Source or GO. /Get Out./
Easy there horsetail. Who are you, and in what stance, are you to tell me to get out? You're not even the thread creator for goodness sake. Flaming won't help :l

Source is the SSBM poll and the Q&A emails that are brought up every smash site. People who have been here back then or those who have the competency and ability to search would know that know that the sauce is on the way back machine for the old smash bros sites.

This isn't the first time we've had Sable and Stafy support threads, let alone other classic characters that have had these kinds of discussions

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Source is the SSBM poll and the Q&A emails that are brought up every smash site. People who have been here back then or those who have the competency and ability to search would know that know that the sauce is on the way back machine for the old smash bros sites.

This isn't the first time we've had Sable and Stafy support threads, let alone other classic characters that have had these kinds of discussions
Well, I was a part of the Super Smash Bros community at that time (Nsider specifically), and I don't recall that information. You are probably in the minority of those who actually remember that specific quote. It would probably be best to try and find it so the others can look at it, just saying you can find it on the internet with decent search skills isn't exactly going to convince anyone.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
MasterMushroom: Sorry if I turned out to be harsh there. (-ñ<>ñ-);;; Don't get me wrong, I'm almost never aggressive or anything, but I have my reasons to act like this if it comes to statements without a source.

I though really mean it when I say that I really don't like people throwing false info around about Sakurai's statements on popular subjects (characters) without a source. Many would believe them quick even without a source if it sounds reasonable enough and it can really turn the tide of some character support and make people believe stuff that isn't true (Sakurai hates Starfy bla-bla-bla, Miyamoto hates Toad, bla-bla-bla).
Last time we got tricked bad (that damn... 2/3-Twitter ****), I decided that it's gonna be the last one as well.

I hope you at least show that Q&A-site so we can see it too. I try to find this out myself but I really, really hope you haven't made this up. (because who knows if I can helps at my statement of Sakurai NOT hating Starfy that I could add in my Starfy-argument post in this thread!)

So hope you understand why we wish to see a source if you remember Sakurai saying about stuff on some things. I dunno if it's safe to go search one if it's hard to find. (-l - l)

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
MasterMushroom: Sorry if I turned out to be harsh there. (-ñ<>ñ-);;; Don't get me wrong, I'm almost never aggressive or anything, but I have my reasons to act like this if it comes to statements without a source...

So hope you understand why we wish to see a source if you remember Sakurai saying about stuff on some things. I dunno if it's safe to go search one if it's hard to find. (-l - l)
No problem, its all good.

I'll try to fetch them. In the meanwhile, have these nice pictures

:)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
There is only 1 reason i want starfy.. And that's cause the theme song "little my star" goes well with it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The similarities were probably not intended to begin with, but it's still amusing. After all, the Kirby franchise was made by Hal Laboratory while the Starfy franchise was made by Tose.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Somewhere there indeed, that's why I think you could call Starfy "Kirby's sister game". I dunno tho, Starfy seems even easier that Kirby-games. (-l~l-);

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Why I think he's unlikely ?
1. Isn't very popular in the west due a pretty crappy intruduction in Brawl;
2. His games aren't very popular in the west (see reason 1);
3. There are alot of other characters that could easily take his spot, and
4. Sakurai.

EDIT: Should've refreshed the page before posting...

Hoots

Can Be Combative
4. Sakurai.

You say there are a lot of other characters that could take is spot, but you could say that about ANYONE. In fact, I would say that Starfy is one of the most unique potential characters that could be added. If you actually go and play one of his games I'll wager that you'll immediately support him. You can find a used copy of the GBA game for like 5 bucks.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Nevermind, did some researching and some of my quotes were misconstrued.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
4. Sakurai.

Kinda late on this, but his game that DID go Western actually sold really well and caused many people to like Starfy, myself included. And 3 can be said of anyone, really...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually the game in western terratories kind of sold average, arguably due to being "kiddy". Still, it's a start towards more things to come.

:phone:

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Meh.
You've all got valid points, but still, his popularity is only average or above average, I think he'll stay as an assist trophy(let's all just hope he isn't useless again if he returns as one)

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Meh.
You've all got valid points, but still, his popularity is only average or above average, I think he'll stay as an assist trophy(let's all just hope he isn't useless again if he returns as one)
Well, it should be important to note he'll be looking back at the last poll and this upcoming smash poll for reference. When and if stafy gets nominated in the character poll like last time; he'll be receiving a boatload of votes

In addition, he's starred and has had many references/cameos in other games

On top of this, we should be getting a stafy game pretty soon for the 3DS; under the assumption that the developers are currently working on something right now

In terms of other characters taking his spot, that really shouldn't be an issue as pretty much every character is running that risk and is a general point of knowledge. Really shouldn't be held as a negative to the character of all things

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So what exactly does Starfy do besides spinning?

My biggest doubt for him is his moveset being too much like Kirby standards and MK's specials. In which case he'd be ignored for not adding anything to the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He does quite a bit of transformations via powers and costumes that he's used, can glide, do a shooting star move, has apparently super strength based on the ending of Starfy 5,
and is good at rock paper scissors

Not to mention, even with the spinning, he does various kinds of spins: Corkscrews, rapid spin combos, general spins, etc.

Given the fact that it was a Marine Platformer, he could add the sort of style of "swimming through the air" as if it was water. Very graceful, but floaty.

Some of his smashes can use water effects, to reflect his aquatic nature. He'd also likely add a character that cannot drown, something not even Squirtle was capable of.

Just some ideas.

D

Deleted member

I think if Starfy was made unable to drown, that would be completely unfair, especially if Squirtle can.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can see where you're coming from, but I can see it being justified as such: Squirtle is an amphibious creature (well, reptilian, but it lives in both water and on land, so...yeah.), and, like real-life turtles, needs to return to the surface to breathe every now and again. Starfy, being an almost completely aquatic creature (due to his gameplay mostly taking place underwater), would be less likely to drown.

Maybe instead of drowning, Starfy can have sinking physics (not sure if that's too hard to implement), as it would better reflect his games. If you stand still too long underwater in Starfy games, you slowly get pulled toward the bottom of the screen. It would take the same amount of time for him to sink as it would Squirtle to drown.

Just an idea.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
^
¦

Yeah I thought something like that too. Maybe an enemy or character from his games can pull him underwater instead of drowning.

:phone:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Opossum: I still think though that what Yuui said is right, Starfy should drown too if Squirtle did. Let his attacks be based on his underwater movements and abilities in there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hm, okay. I suppose it doesn't matter either way, right?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm sorry for the double post, but I feel this thread is too good to be forgotten. That, and I wanted to say that Big Squiddy could be a nice Story Mode boss for Starfy, especially for the 3DS version. Almost like a titanic Blooper, he would strangle you with his tentacles, but he's slow enough whereas you can easily avoid it. Occasionally, he'll shoot globs of ink to slow the player down as if they were stuck in tar.

Just an idea.

Oh, and Konk could make a good mid-boss, as MSG suggested.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There is nothing wrong with bumping a thread (well, my thread anyway). In fact, I should update to original post with something more fresh.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oit's just, at the time I posted, he had posted in like 10 threads. This was early in the morning, so all the "recent posts" held his name. This was the last one he visitedsum.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
OI was...inspired (yeah, that's it...) by that stupid Kirby is Cool thread that popped up this morning. I thought, "Why are good threads buried under this junk?" and proceeded doing my civic duty to contribute to some of my favorite threads. No harm meant. :D sum.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The thread's not locked, Cobalsh...

jigglover

Smash Lord
and is good at rock paper scissors.
Neutral B: Rock/Paper/Scissors. This move has a random effect, and scissors and paper are similair to other moves though:

Rock: Starfy clenches his four of his points and balances on one, and then spins for roughly two seconds. Deals 12 damage if you touch Starfy at the start, it has a fair amount of cooldown, but while spinning it blows people away as if creating a forcefield around Starfy. Only the faster characters can get to Starfy, and that's only by dashing and using the A+dash.

Paper: A not-unlike-peach-slap which deals 20 damage on contact and deals a lot of knockback.

Scissors: This is a lot like Ivysaur's side B, they launch in four directions on ground and 5 in the air. They also go further. they deal 18 damage on contact, though starfy can not control them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Frankly, joking aside, the rock paper scissor thing was more for humor than anything.

Anyway, just coming back to say that I still support Starfy as more of a dark horse contender. Just my opinion. I'd love to see him.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Which reminds me, apparently The Legendary Starfy is now 10 years old as of the release of Densetsu no Starfy back in September 6th 2002.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i used to support Starfy but now he's been kinda started to fade in popularity. I still think he's assist trophy and possibly even stage worthy but not quite character anymore

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I think Starfy has a good enough chance. He's my sixth favorite for getting in.(K Rool's in first.) He cameoed in M+L:SSS, had a game released in North America, he has popularity in Japan, he was an AT, Starly had a trophy... I don't see why he shouldn't be in. Sakurai shows he cares for our little Super Star.:)

jigglover

Smash Lord
I think Starfy has a good enough chance. He's my sixth favorite for getting in.(K Rool's in first.) He cameoed in M+L:SSS, had a game released in North America, he has popularity in Japan, he was an AT, Starly had a trophy... I don't see why he shouldn't be in. Sakurai shows he cares for our little Super Star.:)
Is that why he doesn't know how to spell his name? :troll:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Is that why he doesn't know how to spell his name? :troll:
Pre-Brawl = Stafy (March 2008)

Legendary Starfy = Starfy (June 2009)

I don't get why people still think Sakurai mispelled Starfy's name when he never had really an english name back then. Stafy was how everyone knew him throughout the world before the localisation stepped in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom