• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
More spirits have been announced:

What do you make of this?
At the very least, it doesn't hurt us. Getting Astral Chain Spirits this late tells me that it takes a bit of time before DLC Spirit Boards are finished, so it's possible the SwSh Spirits began development long before the list of post-pass characters were finalized. In other words, Zacian and Zamazenta became Spirits before they agreed on who the next Pokemon rep should be.

It also means a Three Houses Spirit Board is still on the table, and at the risk of sounding petty, I kinda want it to get one too just because it's gotten four new characters over the course of two games. If people want to throw the chances of us getting a SwSh character under the rug, then maybe they'll be a little less critical of us speculating Zacian and Zamazenta if Edelgard and Dimitri get added to the pile.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
More spirits have been announced:

What do you make of this?
i dont think it means anything, sakurai could just as easily have someone as a dlc spirit and then as a dlc character, he rarely does things that make sense to anyone but him

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Fighter #5 is being revealed soon.

We're getting closer to finding some answers to post-pass content.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
They actually went ahead and added another Fire Emblem character. Though Byleth actually looks really cool with the weapon switching.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So here's our new character.

1280px-Byleth_SSBU.png
1280px-Byleth-Alt1_SSBU.png

It's a bittersweet reveal.

I didn't want another FE character, and I'll be more than a little upset if Byleth is the only character from the Switch.

Still, we had two major victories today. One, we're getting first-parties. Two, we're getting "promotional characters", and SwSh is getting two packs during 2020. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good, and I'm a lot more optimistic about our chances now. The Spirits will still dissuade people of course, but if there's any other new Nintendo game that would recieve a newcomer, you better believe it's SwSh.

How about you guys? Thoughts on Byleth and the second pass?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm really curious as to how spread out the 6 characters will be if we have nearly 2 years for all characters to come out.

If it's 2 or 3 characters this year, then the new Galar pokemon has to be one of the first characters. And when will the next character be revealed?

Byleth looks like fun to play, so much more impressive and it left better taste in my mouth compared to Corrin.

Nonetheless, i was curious as to how the roster would look like with the next 6 slots:
Empty Roster.png

It really fits quite nicely, but i'm sure there's going to be people speculation about ''a possible 4 other characters to make a perfect square''.
This looks fine as it is.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm really curious as to how spread out the 6 characters will be if we have nearly 2 years for all characters to come out.

If it's 2 or 3 characters this year, then the new Galar pokemon has to be one of the first characters. And when will the next character be revealed?
I would like to think a Galar Pokemon would be one of the first few, but who knows. If the Fighter Pass was finalized all at once, why on earth would they not release Byleth in July instead of Hero?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So here's our new character.

View attachment 258050View attachment 258051

It's a bittersweet reveal.

I didn't want another FE character, and I'll be more than a little upset if Byleth is the only character from the Switch.

Still, we had two major victories today. One, we're getting first-parties. Two, we're getting "promotional characters", and SwSh is getting two packs during 2020. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good, and I'm a lot more optimistic about our chances now. The Spirits will still dissuade people of course, but if there's any other new Nintendo game that would recieve a newcomer, you better believe it's SwSh.

How about you guys? Thoughts on Byleth and the second pass?
If he didn't happen now, he would have come later. We ought to at least appreciate the outside-the-box thinking done here in response to the complaints.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Don't remember if we asked this or not, but what music would come with the gen 8 pokemon?

Haven't had a chance to listen to the ost in full, but at least i know the Gym Leader theme has to be one of them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Don't remember if we asked this or not, but what music would come with the gen 8 pokemon?

Haven't had a chance to listen to the ost in full, but at least i know the Gym Leader theme has to be one of them.
id hope for that tune full of bagpipes from the northen part of the wild area

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I'd love for all three rival themes to get added, along with the Champion theme and Zacian/Zamazenta theme.

If I had to take a guess though, we're probably at least getting the Wild Battle theme and Champion theme just like XY and SuMo did. I think Marnie is pretty likely too, given how popular she is.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Now that Fire Emblem is out of the way for future dlc (most likely), what other 1st party series are in direct competition with a new pokemon?

And after seeing the popularity & movesets of the pokemon, which could be competition for Zacian/Zamazenta? I think the only pokemon who could be considered is either one of the starters, Zacian &/or Zamazenta, Toxtricity or possibly Urshifu.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Now that Fire Emblem is out of the way for future dlc (most likely), what other 1st party series are in direct competition with a new pokemon?
none cause fire emblem is the only first party series sakurai cares about

Staarih

Smash Master
none cause fire emblem is the only first party series sakurai cares about
Can’t help but kinda feel this way haha, with both Corrin and Byleth chosen in a similar manner. Why and how ARMS, XC2, Astral Chain and the likes were too new for characters, but FE gets a pass... oh well, Byleth looks fun anyway.

It’s also refreshing to see more people accepting the possibility of a Gen 8 Pokemon making it next pass. Though I kinda hate how the discussion revolves around, surprise surprise, the starters. Cinderace gets mentioned a lot, being the most popular and marketable of the three, but not only a starter, a fire one at that? Still rooting for Zacian, or even Urshifu which I see being mentioned a bit too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
even Urshifu which I see being mentioned a bit too
Which is a shame, because like how Incineroar's moveset could've gone to any human wrestler, I can see Urshifu having a moveset that could've gone to any human kung-fu user.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

And after seeing the popularity & movesets of the pokemon, which could be competition for Zacian/Zamazenta? I think the only pokemon who could be considered is either one of the starters, Zacian &/or Zamazenta, Toxtricity or possibly Urshifu.
Obviously the starters, as always. Obstagoon and Sirfetch'd are both designed as anthro fighters, so I guess they could be on the table. Not sure about Toxtricity since I can't see it punching, kicking, slashing, or headbutting opponents; Sakurai would have to get creative for his tilts, Smash, and aerial attacks. Urshifu is a big question mark because I don't know if it'll come out in time for Sakurai to choose it over a base game Pokemon.

Spirits aside, I still feel like one of the Legendaries would be our newcomer. Even though Cinderace is my favorite, I don't see Sakurai adding two fire types in a row. Rillaboom seems like more of a stationary fighter, and I think Sakurai would choose one of the other two first just because they're easier to work with.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Obviously the starters, as always. Obstagoon and Sirfetch'd are both designed as anthro fighters, so I guess they could be on the table. Not sure about Toxtricity since I can't see it punching, kicking, slashing, or headbutting opponents; Sakurai would have to get creative for his tilts, Smash, and aerial attacks. Urshifu is a big question mark because I don't know if it'll come out in time for Sakurai to choose it over a base game Pokemon.

Spirits aside, I still feel like one of the Legendaries would be our newcomer. Even though Cinderace is my favorite, I don't see Sakurai adding two fire types in a row. Rillaboom seems like more of a stationary fighter, and I think Sakurai would choose one of the other two first just because they're easier to work with.
Do people still talk about Sirfetch'd & Obstagon? I haven't seen much discussion about them since their reveal. My favorite starter is Inteleon and as much as i'd like to see it in smash, it'd be too similar to Greninja in terms of moveset & visual design.

I do think at least that Toxtricity & the Legendaries are the best candidates. But who knows if Sakurai will play it safe and go with a starter yet again.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My favorite starter is Inteleon and as much as i'd like to see it in smash, it'd be too similar to Greninja in terms of moveset & visual design.
not really their movements are pretty different and a lot of greninja's moves wouldnt be suited to inteleon

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Do people still talk about Sirfetch'd & Obstagon? I haven't seen much discussion about them since their reveal. My favorite starter is Inteleon and as much as i'd like to see it in smash, it'd be too similar to Greninja in terms of moveset & visual design.
They're kinda like the Bewear and Tapu Koko of Ultimate's DLC speculation. There's barely any support for them, but you acknowledge them anyway because Sakurai wouldn't have known if the popularity would stick and the designs work well enough.

Obstagoon never really took off. A lot of people claimed they wanted Sirfetch'd, but his supporters haven't carried him very well. His thread has basically been dead since late October.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
They're kinda like the Bewear and Tapu Koko of Ultimate's DLC speculation. There's barely any support for them, but you acknowledge them anyway because Sakurai wouldn't have known if the popularity would stick and the designs work well enough.

Obstagoon never really took off. A lot of people claimed they wanted Sirfetch'd, but his supporters haven't carried him very well. His thread has basically been dead since late October.
Obstagoon was popular around reveal, and um... kinda died after a month.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Another i'd be happy to have is Dragapult. But it hasn't picked up much either.

Is there any other nintendo series likely to get a character as dlc?
I'm honestly out of ideas and we really don't know if they'll stick to mostly having 3rd party characters again.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm honestly out of ideas and we really don't know if they'll stick to mostly having 3rd party characters again.
well likeliness is a matter of speculation but dragalia lost is one of the few nintendo series not to have spirits for those whod like to use byleths spirit board logic

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Why is it that people get mad at Fire Emblem for having ''very similar'' characters while Pokemon gets very little complaints in comparison?
I've seen people saying stuff like: ''oh look, Marth with white hair'' or ''the 20th Marth''.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Why is it that people get mad at Fire Emblem for having ''very similar'' characters while Pokemon gets very little complaints in comparison?
I've seen people saying stuff like: ''oh look, Marth with white hair'' or ''the 20th Marth''.
It's because of too many swords.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
While Byleth isn't a clone, some people still feel don't feel like they're unique due to the past FE reps, despite Byleth having things they wish an FE rep would at least have if we're getting another.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I think a stage akin to the Three Houses stage could work really well. They pick a few locations from the Galar Region (or the Wild Area) to transition to (3-5 locations).
If it were the whole Region, i'd pick the following:
- Wild Area (Specifically Axew's Eye).
- Motostoke (Entrance Area or in front of the Stadium).
- Hammerlocke (Eternatus's Arena).
- Wyndon Central Square.
- Slumbering Weald.

Any other good general ideas for locations as stages and how they work?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
While Byleth isn't a clone, some people still feel don't feel like they're unique due to the past FE reps, despite Byleth having things they wish an FE rep would at least have if we're getting another.
i imagine in their eyes having an axe a lance and a bow doesnt take away from the fact he still has a sword. getting what you want tagged on to what you think is the problem is likely to irritate people

I think a stage akin to the Three Houses stage could work really well. They pick a few locations from the Galar Region (or the Wild Area) to transition to (3-5 locations).
- Wyndon Central Square.
- Slumbering Weald.

the whole region might a little over the top for a touring stage, perhaps just the wild area?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If this goes on until December 2021, BotW 2 could be on the table.

I think its mainly because there's only so much you can do with a sword, so people who aren't as intrested in all the technical whatnot see Marth, Lucina, Roy, Chrom, and Ike as just a bunch of guys swinging swords around.

Pokemon characters do share a few characteristics here and there, but overall, none of them look or feel like carbon copies, save for Pichu. The worst we've seen is Lucario being presented as a Mewtwo clone.

- Wyndon Central Square.
- Slumbering Weald.

I think you got most of them. I feel like Wyndon Stadium is a possibility too. Maybe certain Pokemon could Gigantamax and unintentionally effect the stage?

Staarih

Smash Master
I think a stage set in the Wild Area could work, maybe rotate in a couple of areas with different weather and different Pokémon cameos happening. It could visit a den or a stadium at some point as well, with Dynamax/Gigantamax happening in the background.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Fire Emblem has many classes of characters that don't use swords, but characters of those classes have always been passed over in favor of the sword-wielding lords. On top of Fire Emblem getting waayyy over-represented, it is a big mess.

TBH, while I know Pokemon is a mascot franchise and thus I'm never bothered by a new addition each Smash, I was a little frustrated with the choice of Incineroar in Ultimate (and not just because I despise Incineroar, but more because it is a fire type fully evolved starter, a niche already filled by Charizard). Now I see people supporting Cinderace, and I'm not saying they can't have their opinions, but if Cinderace is chosen over Zacian/Zamazenta, Rillaboom, or some other more unique Pokemon I will be really agitated.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but if Cinderace is chosen over Zacian/Zamazenta, Rillaboom, or some other more unique Pokemon I will be really agitated.
I'd be agitated by any of the fully evolved starters getting in. Rillaboom supporters want "balance", well here's your imbalance: We haven't gotten a Pokemon rep like :pt::lucario: or even the rumored Plusle and Minun since Brawl.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll gladly take a starter over no Gen 8 Pokemon at all, but I'd really like to see Sakurai try something different. Starter Pokemon are really predictable, and seeing how Pokemon is the one of the only Nintendo franchises where Sakurai can add literally whoever he wants without having to worry about prioritizing the main characters, I can't help but feel like starters are the laziest and easiest choices.

I'm hoping he'll try something different this time around, especially after the response to Byleth. I really want the fanbase to accept the next Pokemon, because I'm already seeing early signs of people thinking the Pokemon franchise is becoming FE 2.0.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'll gladly take a starter over no Gen 8 Pokemon at all, but I'd really like to see Sakurai try something different. Starter Pokemon are really predictable, and seeing how Pokemon is the one of the only Nintendo franchises where Sakurai can add literally whoever he wants without having to worry about prioritizing the main characters, I can't help but feel like starters are the laziest and easiest choices.

I'm hoping he'll try something different this time around, especially after the response to Byleth. I really want the fanbase to accept the next Pokemon, because I'm already seeing early signs of people thinking the Pokemon franchise is becoming FE 2.0.
Also the fact that the new starters aren't as interesting as past starters we've had. Last gen had a great selection to pick from, where as now every starter has many similarities to existing characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Also the fact that the new starters aren't as interesting as past starters we've had. Last gen had a great selection to pick from, where as now every starter has many similarities to existing characters.
what drummer and footballer do we have in smash? sure theres a spy but i dont see how inteleon would be like that

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
im not sure thats possible
Probably not. People are still harassing Masuda on Twitter over the DLC, even though all of its contents are almost identical to what we normally get in third versions.

Still, I can start out small and say that I want the Pokemon to be received better than Byleth. I think that's doable.

None of the starters really work well as the kind of fighters Sakurai likes to add either. Gen 6 had a ninja, a mage, and a knight. Gen 7 had an archer and a wrestler. Gen 8 doesn't really have anything. Rillaboom is a drummer, and I feel like it'll be the toughest one to work with given how restricting the drum is to its movement. Cinderace is a soccer/football player. It can kick balls of fire, which is something I guess, but I don't think it's what Sakurai is looking for (and even if I'm wrong, it's another fire type, which is another reason to dissuade Sakurai from adding it). Inteleon is a secret agent and probably the best fit. It has a knife, can glide, and even snipe people from a distance, but everything outside the specials is what's making me doubt it. I don't know if it's suited for fast-paced combat. Seems like more of a campy character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Probably not. People are still harassing Masuda on Twitter over the DLC, even though all of its contents are almost identical to what we normally get in third versions.

Still, I can start out small and say that I want the Pokemon to be received better than Byleth. I think that's doable.

None of the starters really work well as the kind of fighters Sakurai likes to add either. Gen 6 had a ninja, a mage, and a knight. Gen 7 had an archer and a wrestler. Gen 8 doesn't really have anything. Rillaboom is a drummer, and I feel like it'll be the toughest one to work with given how restricting the drum is to its movement. Cinderace is a soccer/football player. It can kick balls of fire, which is something I guess, but I don't think it's what Sakurai is looking for (and even if I'm wrong, it's another fire type, which is another reason to dissuade Sakurai from adding it). Inteleon is a secret agent and probably the best fit. It has a knife, can glide, and even snipe people from a distance, but everything outside the specials is what's making me doubt it. I don't know if it's suited for fast-paced combat. Seems like more of a campy character.
poor man, the internet can be a really unpleasant place

what knife?

Top Bottom