• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think how Korra is handling the current situation is ironically the wrong approach. Book 1/2 Korra would be more ideal for this situation, and Book 4 Korra would fit better in Book 1. The idea is for her to find that balance, and right now, she is doubting herself in a lot of areas. By the end of this book, I expect her to come and understand what her role is, and how she should go about her business.

Also, I don't know if you're "disappointed" by your own standards, or you just think the show should be critically slammed for not being good. Book 3 to my knowledge has been universally praised by many critics. Book 2 was a total dump. Book 1 was meant to be stand alone so a lot of stuff was rushed. Book 4 has had its ups and downs, but I expect it to go up from here, now that the Krew is uniting for the most part.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Also, I don't know if you're "disappointed" by your own standards, or you just think the show should be critically slammed for not being good. Book 3 to my knowledge has been universally praised by many critics.
I’m disappointed by my own standards, and yes, I would prefer it to receive somewhat lower ratings, but the same is true for most other shows and movies I’ve watched.
I do like aspects of the show, else I wouldn’t keep watching it. It didn’t deteriorate anywhere near as badly as, say, Spongebob after season 3.

I’m totally fine with TLK targeting a more mature audience than TLA, but especially then, they could give Korra (and pretty much all of the other characters, although Kuvira is an exception) more intelligent dialogue.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I really want to understand why the writers have such a hard-on for Jinora. Anyways, I like Kuvira as an antagonist. She kind of reminds me of Dr. Doom. Her ultimate desire is power and authority, but she doesn't really wish harm upon anyone and she seems to value equality and peace among the people. She genuinely feels that the world will be better off in her hands, and that to simply live and let live is not a world worth living when she knows she can make a difference. While I find the thought process egotistical and childish, I can certainly understand it.

On another note: What Toph said about the antagonists and their extremes was interesting to me. Each of the main antagonists represents a philosophy or virtue taken to the extreme. My take on it (with a touch of my life philosophy) is this:

The entire Avatar series represents an ongoing struggle between two competing, yet complimentary virtues: Harmony and Liberty. There are various names for these two virtues:

Harmony | Unity | Order | Yin

Liberty | Freedom | Chaos | Yang​

You see these two ideals competing all throughout the Avatar timeline; since before man, to the first Avatar, to Aang, to Korra. This theme, of course, is most obvious when you take things to the beginning with the primordial spirits Raava and Vaatuu. Raava, of course, is the essence of harmony and order; Vaatus is the essence of liberty and chaos. These two constantly compete with each other for power. Unity and Freedom are both necessary virtues, but when one becomes more valued than the other, you get an extreme that causes unbalance and unrest.

However, as the energy of one increases (that is, as one becomes more extreme), the potential energy for the other increases. Too much freedom naturally brings about the need for order, and too much order naturally brings about chaos. This is first seen with Fire Lord Sozin's ideals. Sozin desired to bring complete unity to the world, but such an extreme ideal only lead to chaos. The one hundred-year war caused such an unbalance in the world that even after Aang succeeded in restoring peace, Korra continues to deal with the residual effects.

The Legend of Korra is about restoring the balance between freedom and unity, left out of sync by the hundred-year war. In each of the books, Korra struggles against one of these two extremes, and the series ultimately seeks to balance itself: Book 1 (Order) compliments Book 2 (Chaos) & Book 3 (Chaos) compliments Book 4 (Order).

Going back to how the abundance of one of the two virtues seems to cause build-up of the other, I think that the transition from book 3 to book 4 is the most prominent example of this. Zaheer desired to end the monarchical oppression in the world (a result of too much order). By eliminating the earth queen, chaos ensued (a result of too much freedom). This surge of chaos prompted, once again, the reaction of extreme order, ie Kuvira.

I really do hope that this book actually wraps this all together. There's so many issues with LoK idonteven. But if they actually follow through with a moral of the story, I wont complain.

Here's another "graph" I made on this philosophy a while back btw.

Sedda

Smash Champion
i skimmed through what you guys said, and for korra's defense, I'll say that I think it would've been very unrealistic (and frankly, it would've taken me out of the experience) if korra's ptsd was somehow repaired by her getting the metal out of her body. i would agree with you guys in the sense that i think the pacing of her recovery hasn't been handled well... at all

imo, it would've been perfect if she lost the fight, but for physical reasons entirely (aka not fit to endure a long fight). My problem with Korra's state right now is that she's fighting like an idiot. Thank Lord Zuko we're on smashboards and I can use this analogy, but if mango doesn't play for a year, his techskill may be lacking, but he's still going to be smart.
Korra is fighting like a scrub who's been grinding dat 20xx hack pack but doesn't know any matchups. however, she's had plenty of experience against global threads (plus she's a pro bender), and all of the sudden she can't fight at all?

im absolutely sure that in two episodes, she's going to be 100%, but it's supposed to be a dimmer switch, not a "you suck for the first half of the season and now you dont" kinda thing.

I hate to bring this up again, but the bending is has gone back to being really hilarious this season. Korra was throwing ****ing pebbles at Kuvira most of the time. Also, the way the avatar state works hasn't been fully explained (though it's been rationalized by fans, which doesn't count imo), but it seems like Aang > Korra in the avatar state so far.

I also think it was completely unnecessary to have Suyin attempt to murder Kuvira when it's already been established that Kuvira would've attacked the city anyway. Having Suyin turn herself over when the city was about to be attacked would've been more rich in symbolism for both Su and Kuvira.

I was really putting up with the build up this season through Korra's recovery because I knew this episode would set the tone for the rest of the reason (and I was legitimately enjoying Korra's journey because I thought the payoff would be better), but I just think it wasn't executed very efficiently at all.

The one thing that I'm liking 100% is varrick's arc. My guess is that he's gonna team up with Hiroshi to some capacity.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
No.
Every other time we have seen Demon Korra thing it has been like... her whole body...
When it happened with Kuvira, she only had Korra's Head/Face and kept Kuvira's body.
May just be for no reason but I stand by my original thoughts

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Last ep I gave up on Korra as a character. The show's almost over and she's not good at getting her job done. I was fine with it in Book 2 since there was room to grow, but after Kuvira clowned her so easily I accept the fact that Korra's just a decent Avatar. She's not great, and she was once bad, but now she's simply ok and I'm not gonna hope for anything better from her.

This week's ep was good. I'm liking the growth Bolin's showing and I'm glad he's using the lava. I get that they don't wanna overdo it but if it gets the job done quickly then so be it. Varrick's always good to have around, and I definitely see him and Wu losing their AHole tendencies.

I gotta say that I do not like Kuvira's xenophobia, and I can't wait for Bataar to meet his grandma. Maybe she'll talk and beat some sense into him.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Last ep I gave up on Korra as a character. The show's almost over and she's not good at getting her job done. I was fine with it in Book 2 since there was room to grow, but after Kuvira clowned her so easily I accept the fact that Korra's just a decent Avatar. She's not great, and she was once bad, but now she's simply ok and I'm not gonna hope for anything better from her.
Uh what? Korra was crippled for 2+ years, had barely started rehabbing before she left, and is mentally not all there. She looked much better in this episode regards to fighting than she did against Kuvira.

I agree Korra should have been able to fight better against Kuvira by landing a blow or something, but the purpose of that fight was to show Korra is not fully healed yet. Physically she is, but there is a lot of rust and possibly muscle damage from the poison to overcome. Mentally, well that is self-explanatory.

I enjoyed this episode for the most part. Bolin and Varrick's story was awesome. I thought Korra and Asami's dialogue was a bit forced regarding Asami getting all mad about Korra questioning her dad's motives. Mako and Korra's arguing felt a bit more organic and in context.

Wu needs to start stepping up. He's pretty much "Bolin" until Bolin returns.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Uh what? Korra was crippled for 2+ years, had barely started rehabbing before she left, and is mentally not all there. She looked much better in this episode regards to fighting than she did against Kuvira.

I agree Korra should have been able to fight better against Kuvira by landing a blow or something, but the purpose of that fight was to show Korra is not fully healed yet. Physically she is, but there is a lot of rust and possibly muscle damage from the poison to overcome. Mentally, well that is self-explanatory.
I feel Korra could've at least called her out on taking Zaofu. Kuvira's job was to stabilize the kingdom and unite it, but what chaos was Zaofu in? Granted she can make a case for wanting to unite the city with the empire, but Zaofu's always operated as its own entity, and Kuvira's likely trying to take it due to spite, ego and strategy. The strategy angle is the only valid point, but if Korra managed to point out Zaofu's stability and autonomy as well as the ego and spite, she could at least get an idea brewing in others that Kuvira's not so honorable. And she's big on PR.

I can't fault her for PTSD, and I didn't expect her to win, but the fight's way too one-sided, considering she was sparring with the WL, random fighters and Toph. It's like she forgot she could metalbend. She could've flipped Kuvira as easily as she got flipped herself for one, and punching out streams of air like fire is silly when they're great for broad strokes as well. Kuvira was definitely in her element though and switching between raw earth and metal was clever; Korra had 3 elements to cleverly combine yet she didn't and instead used them by themselves. I expected a loss, but not utter embarrassment.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I agree that the fight vs Kuvira wasn't handled very well, but Korra was meant to lose that fight.

Like I said, my problem with the way Korra has been handled is that I'm sure that in one episode she's all of the sudden going to be at 100%. That's not good. The recovery is supposed to be gradual, and she hasn't really gotten any better since episode 1. I'm excluding the avatar state stuff, but that doesn't seem to be helping her out either.

I'm ok with her not being at 100%, but she can only suck for however long. Other than that, I think this book has so far been the best. It's still building up very well and I'm sure there are still some secrets that we dont know about.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I enjoyed this episode for the most part. Bolin and Varrick's story was awesome. I thought Korra and Asami's dialogue was a bit forced regarding Asami getting all mad about Korra questioning her dad's motives. Mako and Korra's arguing felt a bit more organic and in context.
I didn't see it as unnatural at all. It wasn't Korra's place to question Asami's relationship with her father. If anything, a good friend would be more supportive. However, I do think it was in Korra's character to be so apprehensive.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I didn't see it as unnatural at all. It wasn't Korra's place to question Asami's relationship with her father. If anything, a good friend would be more supportive. However, I do think it was in Korra's character to be so apprehensive.
Regardless if it was Korra's place to question the relationship or not wasn't the point. Korra was coming from a good place and Asami responded with a "You've been on vacation for 3 years" despite the fact Korra has been writing to her prior to the last 6 months, telling her how she's been feeling. It's something you say in a heated argument/fight...not a one off sentence.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Regardless if it was Korra's place to question the relationship or not wasn't the point. Korra was coming from a good place and Asami responded with a "You've been on vacation for 3 years" despite the fact Korra has been writing to her prior to the last 6 months, telling her how she's been feeling. It's something you say in a heated argument/fight...not a one off sentence.
I see your point.

Kadano

Magical Express
Even though I think it’s very unlikely, I really hope that we’ll see more about Kuvira’s reasons for acting so dictatorial, so that a real dilemma develops, in which it is hard for us to decide whether we’d act in favor of Korra or Kuvira.

Right now, she’s portrayed as hardly more than someone who is corrupted by power so much that she doesn’t care about the people anymore. Her motivation to harvest the spirit tree, for example, seems to be to use them for war – instead of, for example, powering medical facilities. If I knew at least to some degree it was more of the latter, the whole conflict would be a lot more engaging.

What I liked so much about TLA was that the black and white conflicted was, for the most part, offset to the last 4 of 61 episodes. This way, it served mainly as a looming sword of Damocles to keep the heroes learning and improving, and allowed for more ambiguous interaction with Zuko, Iroh, Ty Lee, Mai and Azula. I always hoped that they would switch sides, and except for Azula, they all did eventually.

In my opinion, Kuvira would be more interesting if she was not that power-crazed and more respectful in negotiations. I think she could be really interesting if her actions were her attempt of solving a perceived dilemma in the outer world, and even more so if it will end in a resolution instead of an all-out war.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You're gonna have to refresh my memory on the "black and white" on TLA. All I remember is Ozai being a bad guy for the sake of being a bad guy.

Also, Bolin has a good memory.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That’s all I referred to. Ozai was evil through and through, Team Avatar was all good.
Ah okay, I misread your post.

Yeah, one thing I've noticed in LoK is that they enjoy giving the feeling that the villains come with a "grey" area, only for it to devolve into some extremism of some sort. Honestly, it's gotten kind of repetitive. Though I knew from the start Kuvira was not all she seemed given her comparisons to previous historical figures.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Well to be fair, Ozai was the perfect villain to stand behind characters like Zuko and Azula, who are much better than Ozai.

Imo Ozai is just the representation of the evil fire nation, kinda like the emperor in return of the jedi. he's definitely not as interesting as vader.

That's the dynamic they had going on.

Sedda

Smash Champion
well can't say I was happy about this episode, but it was nick's fault.

apparently they cut Book's 4 budget midway through production, so they had to more or less sacrifice one episode.

I'm actually less ok with the episode from last week, because nothing really happened there. the only exciting thing was the cliffhanger ending, but eh. 4 episodes left now

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If people thought last week's ep was filler I'd love to read their thoughts of this one lol.

Zombie Amon is still out there...waiting for revenge. :(

Kadano

Magical Express
Seriously? A recap episode about the worst parts of LoK yet (relationships)? And there I was, thinking they realized it was a bad choice they ever delved into that and would refrain from doing that again for the few episodes left …

Sedda

Smash Champion
well like i said, they had no choice. their budget for the season had been cut midway through production.

i actually saw it as them making fun of their own writing/what fans complained about. this is very obvious when the other characters are questioning mako on his decisions. same with the end when they were talking about things making sense in reference to book two

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, Bryke's tumblr specifically stated that Nick had cut their budget and it was a choice of letting a bunch of employees go or doing something like this. Commendable he chose the latter. Plus, it would have put delays on the episodes following that if they had a short staff.

If you're deep into the Avatar fanbase, then you saw a lot of jokes that made fun of the fanbase or at least tried to explain certain things. The love triangle was explained and Mako got ragged on for how he handled it. No one likes Unalaq including the villains. With all that being said, I thought this episode could have been perfect for the characters to reflect and GROW more through their dialogue. Even if Wu, Grandma, and Tu aren't exactly the best advice givers, just some sort of dialogue for Mako to realize more than just "Korra is an inspiration". Something more personal and outside of romance for him would be nice. Let's face it, outside of Book 4 and trying to take Varrick down in Book 2, Mako's storylines always revolve around some sort of romance.

The writers have tried to make Korra and Asami come off as bff's despite their limited interactions. This would have been perfect, but the way Asami responded to Korra's doubts came off as bland, generic, and nothing from herself. It just left a bad taste in my mouth regarding how Asami is characterized, and how she wasn't able to provide better feedback to Korra.

Bolin and Varrick's was good though.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
in some ways, today's episode felt a lot like "korra alone" which i also really liked.

cant help but think that the pacing of this episode mightve been different if nick hadnt ****ed them over, but i didnt have any issues with the episode, other than the fact that there was that moment where korra wasnt at 100% and then she was. i already knew that would happen so im ok with it.

glad things are falling back on track

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Really like the cinematography of this episode. And I agree with Sedda, I was pretty much expecting the 0-100% progression.

Can't wait to see how the team handles the rest of the story after the whole nick thing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
in some ways, today's episode felt a lot like "korra alone" which i also really liked.

cant help but think that the pacing of this episode mightve been different if nick hadnt ****ed them over, but i didnt have any issues with the episode, other than the fact that there was that moment where korra wasnt at 100% and then she was. i already knew that would happen so im ok with it.

glad things are falling back on track
I think we're still going to see Dark Korra at some point, but Korra will have a "No you don't!" moment.

This episode was about a 7/10 for me. Some highs, some lows. The highs were Korra's recovery (though her talk with Zaheer did feel a bit rushed), spirit stuff going crazy, and Varrick + Asami, and Raiko actually wanting to take the offensive. The lows were how Tenzin doesn't trust Korra, Bolin regressing to being a man child after showing some awesome development and maturity the past few episodes. Seriously, you tell your gf that you broke your legs so you two can talk? Wu...still no development, and that's just sad. Finally, Mako was "just there". Just two lines of dialogue would have made his presence all that much more meaningful.

"Korra, I'm going with you to check those vines out" and "She's been down there too long" when she was meditating with Zaheer. Nope, we'll just have him stand there and look cool.

And on another note, sad to see Izumi has this "no offense" philosophy after years of crap the FN did. Talk about living in the past.

Sedda

Smash Champion
initially, i reacted negatively to Izumi's decision, but she has a lot more to worry about than just Kuvira. There were a lot of conflicts during the time that zuko was firelord too, so i understand her being cautious about how involved the fire nation is. the decision made by the world leaders at the end made sense, but i feel like it made sense in regards to our own world.
youd think that in the avatar world, leaders would be very defensive about places like the swamp because of the spiritual/physical effects that they can have in the world.

within the context of this world, going to the swamp to try to stop kuvira makes more sense imo, but we'll see where this goes.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
So I saw the first season of this show, and found it to be super mediocre. Has the quality improved in later seasons, or is it just as much of a crap fest?

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
So I saw the first season of this show, and found it to be super mediocre. Has the quality improved in later seasons, or is it just as much of a crap fest?
I consider the first season the worst. In my opinion, the 3rd season is the best... but 4th still has time... I gotta see the finale.

Kadano

Magical Express
As someone who was also rather disappointed in the first season, I wouldn’t say so. I watched seasons 2-4 because I was hoping it would improve, but that never happened.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I quite enjoyed the 3rd season and find it much better than the first. Though I really like Season 1 outside of its ending being such a disgusting waste of what the show had built up throughout the season.
Jury's out on the fourth season but I plan to finish it out regardless. It's okay.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Book 2 is a stink bomb, but Book 3 is considered one of the best Books in the overall Avatar universe by a lot of fans. Book 4 isn't as good as Book 3 IMO due to pacing and character issues, but we'll see what the ending has for us. Book 4 does have one of the best episodes of all time called "Korra Alone".

Curious, what did you dislike about Book 1?

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Book 2 is a stink bomb, but Book 3 is considered one of the best Books in the overall Avatar universe by a lot of fans. Book 4 isn't as good as Book 3 IMO due to pacing and character issues, but we'll see what the ending has for us. Book 4 does have one of the best episodes of all time called "Korra Alone".

Curious, what did you dislike about Book 1?
There was a lot of wasted potential. Amon could have been much cooler as a character, but how he ended up being was pretty simplistic and lame. Also the deus ex machine finale was a cop out. Also the choreography was very wan compared to the first series. Also the zen tone of the first show was lost, and the industrial setting didn't really go to help set any new tone or precedent. A lot of the character archetypes are just "this is new sokka, but lame", or "this is a forced love interest".

Characters in general weren't characterized well, and what they did tell/ show us of their development made them out to be two dimensional or adynamic characters.

The episodes were for the most part pretty bad in pacing, themes, etc, though the explanation for that one is that the LoK team is made up of the sub episode writers of the original series, so while they made good one offs for Last Avatar, they make bad central episodes for Legend of Korra.

Past all of that, the original show was so good, and had so many pretty moments, and such masterful universe and tone, that Legend of Korra had too much to live up to, and largely failed in living up to it in any part.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Past all of that, the original show was so good, and had so many pretty moments, and such masterful universe and tone, that Legend of Korra had too much to live up to, and largely failed in living up to it in any part.
I completely agree with everything you wrote. The Last Airbender was ridiculously good, so much that I automatically compare almost every anime I watch to it (and thus end up somewhat disappointed, except for Hayao Miyazaki’s works).

Sedda

Smash Champion
Even if the series is not perfect, it's worth watching if youre interested in the lore of the show. In my opinion, the worst part of Korra overall is probably the pacing of the earlier books (given its history through the greenlit process at nick), and story-wise my only criticism would be Book 2. Even then, book 2 has "Beginnings," which a two-parter that makes watching Book 2 worth your time. It's seriously in my top 5 episodes of the whole avatar series.

Book 3 has been my favorite and the strongest in all fronts imo (even its pace was good), and book 4 shows a lot of promise, but I don't want to make any judgement until it's done.

I think that the problem that the creators might've run into is that it seems like they didn't know how to handle these new characters and all of their qualities within a one season arc, so the pacing for the last two episodes of season 1 is bad because it tries to tie everything neatly. When they were making ATLA, they always had 3 seasons in mind, so putting relationship stuff here and there was never a big problem before. I think that by the end of book 2 of korra, the figured out how to handle the new characters within the confines of season-by-season arcs, and Book 3 really delivers.

Also, since I often **** on book 2, I have to admit that the characterization of some of the book 2 characters in books 3/4 has changed my view on that season, and now I'm a bit more positive about it. I still don't like the story of book 2 very much. It's too "fantastical" even for the Avatar universe, but books 3/4 have done a good job of progressing the development of characters from books 1 and 2, whereas it used to be that books 3/4 were not even going to exist.

I understand your concerns about the series, but the pacing in the season 1 finale isnt very bad unless you try to directly compare it to atla, which had been building up for three years. So far, book 4 has been paced very well, safe for one filler episode, but I think they're handling it well and i'm being overly critical about the show. if you can get through the first half of book 2, youll love the rest.

just watch it lol. it's not terrible. definitely not as good and as well-thought out as the original series, but it's not bad in any way.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I completely agree with everything you wrote. The Last Airbender was ridiculously good, so much that I automatically compare almost every anime I watch to it (and thus end up somewhat disappointed, except for Hayao Miyazaki’s works).
your problem here is more that the majority of anime is bad, especially recently. You want high quality try checking out any of these;
trigun
cowboy beebop
evangelion (not rebuilds)
samurai champloo
flcl
tengen toppa gurren lagaan
redline
akira

some anime that are less tipidy top but still of high quality are;
mushi shi
ping pong the animation
jin roh: the wolf brigade

im forgetting a few but those are going to be the most "of quality" anime you'll see.

Kadano

Magical Express
your problem here is more that the majority of anime is bad, especially recently. You want high quality try checking out any of these;
trigun
cowboy beebop
samurai champloo
flcl
redline
akira
I’ve actually seen some of these: Evangelion, FLCL and TTGL. Evangelion was a disappointment for me, felt like a flight of fancy. FLCL was interesting but too bizarre and non-sensical for my taste. TTGL was okay, but I watched it after Kill la Kill, which I found to be much more entertaining. In fact, although KLK has not the most interesting or intelligent plot, I loved the pacing, style and most of the humor (although it doesn’t compare to TLA’s imho), so I guess it’s currently my favorite anime series.

Bebop and Champloo are series I’ve long looked forward to watch, so thanks for reminding me of them, I’ll get to it this time.
I’ll also look into Trigun, Redline and Akira.

Sedda

Smash Champion
trigun
cowboy beebop
samurai champloo
flcl
redline
akira

some anime that are less tipidy top but still of high quality are;
mushi shi
ping pong the animation
jin roh: the wolf brigade

im forgetting a few but those are going to be the most "of quality" anime you'll see.
I agree that there's a lot of anime that's bad. It makes me mad when someone puts "anime" over atla as if things being japanese made them better.

it's still all a matter of opinion, though. For example, I think that Ping Pong is better than anything else you listed (my god ping pong is ****ing godly).

Something I really like about the avatar universe is that they use the visual medium to the maxium and draw influences from so many places. even the fight scenes are amazing, while some anime doesnt even bother to properly animate action scenes and falls back on regular anime practices. the same thing applies to facial expressions, comedic scenes, backgrounds and such

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
I’ve actually seen some of these: Evangelion, FLCL and TTGL. Evangelion was a disappointment for me, felt like a flight of fancy. FLCL was interesting but too bizarre and non-sensical for my taste. TTGL was okay, but I watched it after Kill la Kill, which I found to be much more entertaining. In fact, although KLK has not the most interesting or intelligent plot, I loved the pacing, style and most of the humor (although it doesn’t compare to TLA’s imho), so I guess it’s currently my favorite anime series.

Bebop and Champloo are series I’ve long looked forward to watch, so thanks for reminding me of them, I’ll get to it this time.
I’ll also look into Trigun, Redline and Akira.
flcl is a (imo) really well executed coming of anime. its surrealist but works really well for what its trying to get across. eva is just something i wouldnt recommend to everyone. very heady, very theological, not everyones cup of tea. everyone who ive talked to who watched tengen toppa and then kill la kill sequentially liked ttgl better, myself included, but thats a matter of opinion. i would say though that kill la kill had a really bad lull in pace halfway through that ruined its momentum.

Top Bottom