• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Spatman

Smash Ace
I certainly hope so, really. Though I'd be little weirded out how Dixie would end up so that low-priority again to be cut, that is. I just really hope it's not meaning Sakurai's not going to revisit her again, or maybe she never wasn't even given any extensive modeling/development to be worked on into the finish.

Also, one downside I might feel is of no "unique" CGI-trailer for Dixie to be made, if the ones we saw back for DLC-characters in Sm4sh is to go by. But again, that's kind of being nitpicky from my end, since Echoes so far have been in same vein (except Richter due being in same trailer as Simon).
Well, but if also someone like the FREAKING mewtwo can be (considered low priority to be) cutted from the base game, it means almost anyone can be of not enough high priority to be in the base game

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Well, but if also someone like the FREAKING mewtwo can be (considered low priority to be) cutted from the base game, it means almost anyone can be of not enough high priority to be in the base game
I never thought of that. You do have a point.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Mewtwo was early DLC in Smash U because he had his Melee moveset to base him on and didn't have to make him from scratch. It's the same reason Lucas and Roy got in easy after.

If Dixie is part of the rumored last minute cut characters, and was partially completed in some form she should be the first DLC ala Mewtwo last time:

- Custom Robo isn't happening as Nintendo recently let the trademark expire. He's dead in the water
- Monster Hunter rep the other rumor would take some time to make.
- New Nintendo franchise reps like ARMS, Xenoblade 2, etc. would be similar development time as they have to be made from scratch
- Gen 8 Pokemon would probably be one of the last new DLC's later next year

And again any other third party rep considered would have to be made from scratch. Dixie is the easiest to make.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's making me antsy that Dixie hasn't really made an appearance since Tropical Freeze. Even regardless of Smash, I don't want her to completely disappear from games. If only we still got Donkey Kong spin-offs.
It's a shame DK gets the shaft in this regard, there's been spin-offs before so it's not like the concept is lost on nintendo so I don't get why they won't do it and the franchise is big enough that the games would sell.

Animal buddy racing, jungle climber-like games, rhythm games, hell you could make a warriors game with DK and it would probably work

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Not to sound like a downer, but if this leak is true, wouldn't it be greedy to ask for even more characters as DLC? That's seven newcomers on top of the 9 that were officially confirmed, adding up to 16 new characters total. Sakurai needs a break from Smash for his mental and physical health, and 16 new characters is already a lot for someone who said "i hope you aren't expecting too many new challengers"

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Yes, it would be greedy and selfish. Yes, people are still going to do it.
I don't know, I just feel bad for Sakurai. Asking for more is kind of disrespectful. It's like saying "I wasn't satisfied that you included every veteran, most stages, almost 800+ soundtracks. Your hard work meant nothing because my favorite character didn't get in."

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ok, if this leak is real then we'll hit the ground running and campaign for DLC. As stated earlier we should designate certain social media outlets to certain people, and I recommend we all vote on it. But first, we need a pool of volunteers. Who wants to run the twitter side, the facebook side, tumblr, etc. Tag me and I'll compile a list of all who respond.

Also, SeashoreWar SeashoreWar I'll add your latest art soon. Great work as always!

I don't know, I just feel bad for Sakurai. Asking for more is kind of disrespectful. It's like saying "I wasn't satisfied that you included every veteran, most stages, almost 800+ soundtracks. Your hard work meant nothing because my favorite character didn't get in."
In that case we need to be respectful about it. Praise the game for what it is, thank Sakurai and his team for their herculean work and politely ask for more. Make it clear that we certainly love ultimate as well.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
About Sakurai and greedy fans:
I think Sakurai is quite aware that people will always want more.
Smash is a giant franchise and a symbol/representation of gaming story, it could easily achieve 100 characters before going "too far".
Also, people would pay for it. While Sakurai may want to leave the project, Smash is money.
Sakurai is actually paid for all the hardwork and I doubt his conditions are bad because of Nintendo. I don't think we need to treat as he is doing us a favor.
That said, I think this game was done to silence the Smash fanbase at least, since they picked most of our most wanted newcomers.

About Dixie:
I was already expecting that she would not make into the initial roster. There's no way they would make her a newcomer and show her aside from the K.Rool trailer while they could double the hype over the same video. At the start I thought she'd be a echo fighter showed later, as most people actually thought. It seems to me now that Dixie was a considered newcomer for this game, but K.Rool stoled the spotlight. I'm not trying to start any anger about this, I'm quite happy with K.Rool inclusion, and it's hard to say that she was more important or something like that.
DLC is our final hope. Maybe Sakurai felt two Dk newcomer were too much, and is trying to avoid the Fire Emblem drama.If they add Dixie and, to a extent, Waluigi (while I hate this one, I have to admit he is wanted) as a DLC... most people will be satisfied.
The truth is that with this leak Dixie is the UNIQUE long request character that is missing. Let's try to show that.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bummer that Dixie might not make it in (even bigger bummer if she was planned and got cut), but in the long run it’s way better. She’s 100% for DLC and that way we don’t risk her being an Echo.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I don't buy this leak. That's way too many characters, don't you think? The pacing of these reveals make no sense with so many characters. Let's be real. At E3, a major event where previously they have revealed several unique newcomers, they revealed only 1: Ridley and an echo Daisy. If they had this many newcomers in the backlog, would they really have just gone with that? Makes no sense. I think we are being scammed.

Anyway, I am not hopeful anymore regardless for Dixie on the base roster. I think she has a much better shot as DLC. I just don't think there's that many characters left.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't buy this leak. That's way too many characters, don't you think? The pacing of these reveals make no sense with so many characters. Let's be real. At E3, a major event where previously they have revealed several unique newcomers, they revealed only 1: Ridley and an echo Daisy. If they had this many newcomers in the backlog, would they really have just gone with that? Makes no sense. I think we are being scammed.

Anyway, I am not hopeful anymore regardless for Dixie on the base roster. I think she has a much better shot as DLC. I just don't think there's that many characters left.
E3 was also the reveal of Everyone is Back, plus the actual introduction of Inkling. They had more than enough characters to get through as is.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
DLC is our final hope. Maybe Sakurai felt two Dk newcomer were too much, and is trying to avoid the Fire Emblem drama.If they add Dixie and, to a extent, Waluigi (while I hate this one, I have to admit he is wanted) as a DLC... most people will be satisfied.
To be frank, anything thrown in direction of FE-series in Smash-games, I'm sure DK-series could use some of it. Seeing it gain more preferential content or treatment would feel more refreshing than likes of already saturated series we have seen so far... especially FE. :025:

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't think anyone's gonna be shouting "Sakurai is biased in favor of Donkey Kong!" any time soon. Pretty sure they just didn't think she was important enough. It's sadly up to us, the fanbase, to convince them otherwise.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's greedy to want a character for smash, all we are doing is showing support and that there is a base for Dixie if they were to do DLC.

If they give us that option then we want them to make sure they know what we want. Plus if no one did they may think there is no demand for more smash and won't bother as they won't see it as a chance to make money. At the end of the day Nintendo are still a business and want to make as much easy and quick money as they can.

Add to that if this leak is real and we get 7 more characters no one can ever say that what Sakurai says matches to what he actually does. He always goes above and beyond down playing it for maxium hype and surprise. He clearly takes it as a personal mission to please as many fans possible. So I'd see it more as just giving him another aim showing what character he should make next.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well if this is true there's a bittersweetness to the whole situation, it does hurt to see her being pushed to the side but at least she has a high chance of being dlc and not as an echo which was probably the original intentions for her which would have been a major base breaking issue. If anyone ever noticed that Metroid and Dk gets similar treatment throughout the series so I still feel positive about this situation but it would be a good idea to start campaigning to guarantee her chance.

Then again let's not forget that leak may not be true so it's best to remain sceptical until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
Not to sound like a downer, but if this leak is true, wouldn't it be greedy to ask for even more characters as DLC? That's seven newcomers on top of the 9 that were officially confirmed, adding up to 16 new characters total. Sakurai needs a break from Smash for his mental and physical health, and 16 new characters is already a lot for someone who said "i hope you aren't expecting too many new challengers"
Sometimes you have to be seemingly greedy and vocal(respectfully) to get what you want, even in the face of animosity and misinformation. As a K.Rool supporter I and many others have experienced this. K.Rool fans have their character and it is an amazing feeling which I hope many others eventually experience, especially after so long. This is going to sound smug and is going to sound more mean spirited than intended, but seeing people still salty and getting all passive aggressive about his inclusion is pretty funny, considering how much the fanbase copped over the years. You have a chuckle, realise what you've got and move on.

My point is, don't be afraid to ruffle feathers and upset the applecart, the backbone of any sustained campaign is a strong and bold voice.. If the opportunity is there for DLC and is put out there by Sakurai and his team, why wouldn't you ask and campaign if you want to see a beloved character in? Strike while the iron is hot. because you never know what can happen. Heck, this could be the last Smash game,, we do not know what the future holds.

Spatman

Smash Ace
uh?
I mean, it will be paid work, it's not like we're asking Sakurai to give away his time for free

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd like to think that Dixie being cut twice means she'd be first in line for dlc. I hope she can get in, along with Bandana Dee for his fans.

Also I don't think it's greedy, not everyone wants the same characters. I'm over the moon with possibly getting Isaac and Banjo & Kazooie but that doesn't mean everyone is getting what they want from this roster. People have been asking for Dixie Kong forever. I think people ought to have more compassion for fan bases that have been pushing for their characters for a long time and not just call it greed.

Also if Sakurai starts adding dlc characters then I think it's fair game, might as well show him what people want. That there may potentially be cut characters at all tells me Sakurai wanted to add even more but couldn't.

(I mean I'd still support Phoenix Wright for smash, not as intensely but still....I can't unlike Phoenix Wright :p Ace Attorney is my favourite game series after all)

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i think dixie would not only be ideal as a dlc character but i think she's also one of the prime candidates for it. i would be SHOCKED if this game comes and goes and we never see her get in eventually

then again i also thought wolf was a shoo-in for smash 4 dlc so what do i know

cybersai

Smash Ace
Also Sakurai seems to be adding characters he didn't get time to complete last time like Geno and Chorus Kids if this is real.

Dixie is another one of those characters he wanted to add for literally 10 years since Brawl. Maybe it is for the best, because if she was rushed onto the base roster she would have likely been an echo. If she's delayed she will probably be re-worked and be something like Isabelle.

Remember Diddy still has his tail whip seemingly gone, Dixie might share some minor moves with him and have at least two new specials. I guess we'll see.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Been feeling on that Dixie's current removal was mainly due not only being rethought over as a Non-Echo, but she would have been overshadowed by the rest of this roster after K.Rool.

Still, this feels quite a gamble of best-case scenario for her right now.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
If Dixie Kong was cut, it's safe to assume they at least started developing her. If we continue to show support for her, I'm sure she'll make it in eventually.
It'd be a shame if she were scrapped from both Brawl and Ultimate : (

They may have underestimated DK's popularity at the time, and figured K Rool was enough. Now that the K Rool video has the most views of all the Smash reveals, they're very likely to include her now.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Exactly if this is all true not only does she have the potential, legacy and the fan base to support her inclusion, they've tried twice to put her in now. If that's the case she's clearly on their radar and known to be popular.

Just have to make sure the momentum and voice for Dixie is maintained to make sure she gets maximum exposure.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo was early DLC in Smash U because he had his Melee moveset to base him on and didn't have to make him from scratch. It's the same reason Lucas and Roy got in easy after.

If Dixie is part of the rumored last minute cut characters, and was partially completed in some form she should be the first DLC ala Mewtwo last time:

- Custom Robo isn't happening as Nintendo recently let the trademark expire. He's dead in the water
- Monster Hunter rep the other rumor would take some time to make.
- New Nintendo franchise reps like ARMS, Xenoblade 2, etc. would be similar development time as they have to be made from scratch
- Gen 8 Pokemon would probably be one of the last new DLC's later next year

And again any other third party rep considered would have to be made from scratch. Dixie is the easiest to make.
Not true. The technology used to make Mewtwo was build up from scratch as the Melee data was too dated to create a move set from.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm pretty optimistic about Dixie as DLC. She could very well be a semi-clone - or even unique - and everyone wins in that situation.

I'd pay a few bucks for that than get echo Dixie for free.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Also Sakurai seems to be adding characters he didn't get time to complete last time like Geno and Chorus Kids if this is real.

Dixie is another one of those characters he wanted to add for literally 10 years since Brawl. Maybe it is for the best, because if she was rushed onto the base roster she would have likely been an echo. If she's delayed she will probably be re-worked and be something like Isabelle.

Remember Diddy still has his tail whip seemingly gone, Dixie might share some minor moves with him and have at least two new specials. I guess we'll see.
I agree. Choices like Mach Rider, Banjo & Kazooie, Chorus Kids, Geno, and Ditto as a Pokeball Pokemon (would of preferred Ditto as the Random slot) were also scrapped characters that were a long time coming for Sakurai to include in Smash. Assuming the Grinch leak and the angry leaker from September 28th are without a doubt legit I'm pretty confident that Dixie Kong will be one of the future DLC newcomers.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Honestly I think what sucks most about this is that there are potentially 5 unique characters left yet Dixie isn't one of them. If there were only 2 or 3 left it'd hurt less but with so many left it just sucks. And there's no real reason for it either which is the worst part.

I'm just praying that there's a new dk game on the horizon or that they just randomly decide to make her dlc.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Honestly I think what sucks most about this is that there are potentially 5 unique characters left yet Dixie isn't one of them. If there were only 2 or 3 left it'd hurt less but with so many left it just sucks. And there's no real reason for it either which is the worst part.
It would be difficult to decide which one to cut for Dixie, though. Unless you're not a fan of Sakurai's fascination with NES characters, I guess.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's a shame DK gets the shaft in this regard, there's been spin-offs before so it's not like the concept is lost on nintendo so I don't get why they won't do it and the franchise is big enough that the games would sell.

Animal buddy racing, jungle climber-like games, rhythm games, hell you could make a warriors game with DK and it would probably work
It's obvious they didn't quite know what to do with the franchise for a good while, until they struck gold with Retro. Unfortunately those guys take increasingly long to make games (due to polygon count fetish), but with K. Rool's reintroduction via Smash causing ripples into Nintendo's deepest levels, this might encourage the production of spin-offs once again.

Reminder that every time someone asks for a character, Kirby gets another hat.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
honestly the demand for characters probably hurts fans more than it does nintendo

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Just a friendly neighbor from the Bandana Dee thread here, wanting to say that I really feel for you guys. Some sources say that she was once again considered for this game, and dropped. If that's true, that's the second time this has happened to the Simian Star. First Brawl, now this, which just seems wrong IMO. I hope you guys get what you're rallying for in the end.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I saw on the Geno thread that Mach Rider, Geno, and Chorus Kids could potentially be treated not as newcomers, but as "lost fighters" from Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, respectively. So... what if Dixie is the "lost fighter" for Ultimate itself?

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie might be the most overlooked/cut character in all of Smash! Planned for at least Brawl and Ultimate and cut? And oddly skipped in Smash U altogether?

At least we might finally get her this time by DLC.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Ok, if this leak is real then we'll hit the ground running and campaign for DLC. As stated earlier we should designate certain social media outlets to certain people, and I recommend we all vote on it. But first, we need a pool of volunteers. Who wants to run the twitter side, the facebook side, tumblr, etc. Tag me and I'll compile a list of all who respond.
ALL OF THIS

We've kind of been in limbo since Isabelle, but recent events are really the push for marketing the hell out of Dixie in Smash and hoping that if she happens to not be in base or the first wave of DLC, that we still get her at some point in w.e. the DLC cycle winds up being like.

I suck at social media and have a job that leads to conflicts of interests, but once pages are up I'll be happy to follow and contribute with content whenever possible.

cybersai

Smash Ace
So much trouble to get one small ponytail monkey in Smash, I swear. Only in bizarro world would Dixie still not be on the roster in 2018.

Top Bottom