• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Change her up b move similar to Dk's up b(spinning Kong) but have just about the same vertical momentum as as Wii Fit Trainer's up b move.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Change the standard B attack to a Gumball popgun. Where the difference is that the gumballs bounce across the ground a couple times instead of cracking instantly like Diddy's peanuts do (but the downside is that they never release edible bits). And also like Tropical Freeze, the color of the gumball fired is different every time!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think it's because you wouldn't really feel like your using Dixie if she's just an echo. If she's has a few unique moves, then at least it would represent her decently. But as much as I want to see Dixie as a unique fighter or semi-clone, I'd be fine with an echo for a few reasons.
I think this is the mentality I do not understand... if Dixie werent an Echo (in the Chrom sense- meaning she has a helicopter jump, hair grabs, and a few unique specials). Dixie should be similar to Diddy in other senses, she should not be as different from the Kongs as she is different from Ridley and Inkling.

I think the issue people have with Dixie being an echo is their own interpretation of what an Echo is supposed to be (read: once again, limited imagination, though not by choice). Chrom made it pretty clear an echo is just some reused assets. If Dixie has all her own hair mechanics, then she is still an echo, and welcomed aboard.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I tried to strategically hit first post on page 72 but ended up last page on 71. So just so everyone can see this...

I'm doing a game where everybody is uncloning Dixie one thing at a time per post, until the end of this page. Everyone can join in and help us build a community Dixie! Just for fun. So as not to waste my post, another change:

Oh and if anyone wants to propose cosmetic changes on top of their combat changes, you can add one of those too! Ie a victory pose, taunt, idle animation etc.

-Up Aerial is Diddy's old flip kick from Brawl. Deals 8% damage with low base knockback and moderate knockback growth. Out of two full jumps, it'll KO middleweights around 120% off of an average stage blastzone.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie is necessary for completing the DK roster. Past her, you really don't need anybody else. Cranky could be cool, but certainly isn't a must-have. Since Metroid is finished off with Ridley and Dark Samus, I really want DK to follow suit. We're halfway there with K Rool now. That's why I want Dixie, echo or original doesn't matter to me.

Also, I think it's a little unfair to try silencing the pro-echo people. I would absolutely love to see Dixie either way, but she does make sense as an echo fighter and is a great example of a character that could be just as unique as an echo. She has no tail, so the tail whip from Diddy gets moved to her hair. She blows bubblegum, so her combustable projectile ala Diddy's peanut popgun is already clear and obvious. She can't have the barrel jetpacks, obviously that would have to be replaced with propeller hair. K Rool has a propeller up B, another echo has already cross-borrowed an up B. Banana peels and the flip-kick side B were both invented for Diddy with no source material necessary other than he's a monkey. They could be changed or kept the same, I mean with Chrom's up B being stolen from Ike anything is possible with the echoes. At this point it caused more harm than good calling these characters echoes because now there is a negative stigma around the characters that get labeled as such, when Sakurai is just trying to give everybody what they want in a reasonable workload. It's a ridiculous amount of pressure being placed on poor Sakurai that fans of Daisy, Dark Samus, Shadow, Dixie Kong, etc all expect/expected these characters to have fresh movesets and will cry foul any other way, most insultingly by saying "then we shouldn't have even had them in the game." Don't you think that's a bit spoiled? I am not just adressing Dixie fans, this goes for just about any character that is translatable as an echo. This is an extremely common mindset that's surfacing all over the place. There isn't enough time and resources to meet everybody's expactations and quite frankly, I don't think any of us could envy Sakurai's job, as even when he's going out of his way to give fans the characters that they ask for, he still gets criticized.

This conversation was happening with Dark Samus, where fans were expressing distaste about the thought of Dark Samus being an echo. Right now it appears that all of the pro-echo people are being labeled as haters or trolls. Um, no, I promise that plenty of level-headed smash speculators are actually just seeing it for what it is. I was a huge proponent for Dark Samus being an echo, and she looks absolutely glorious. I'll also be using Daisy over Peach, and if Dixie gets in I will absolutely use her over Diddy. Echo =/= bad, just because I'm pro-echo for Dixie doesn't make me a hater, it feels like the extremely vocal supporters of Dixie as an original character are smearing pro-echo users because interests are slightly misaligned. I typically don't post in this thread because of that despite loving Dixie and DKC2&3. The expectations on Sakurai are ridiculous and I'm a little alienated by the fanbase because of it.

I wanted to get that out of my system before the pro-echo users in this thread get completely hushed.
...Silenced? As the OP and one of the users against the Echo Idea I can assure you that the Pro-Echo side has been voicing their stance freely and frequently. I have piped up and said that I'm not okay with the idea but the possibility certainly exists. Others have as well, but the absolute fact is that many more people have dropped in to voice support for her being an Echo. You can go read all the posts from August 8th onwards and even tally up the posts in favor of it. There's absolutely nobody trying to suppress the Pro-Echo side, and while the opposite is not true either, there's certainly many more users expecting an Echo than not. In fact, much of the traffic to this thread has been people dropping in, expressing support, and expecting an Echo. I have consistently said my take on the matter as far back as August 9th as well as August 10th, and openly let the other side voice their opinion, I even updated the OP in the "This Kong's Got Style" section to reflect the situation. A passage from it says:
Now, what this entire passage is telegraphing is that many fans recognize the potential for Dixie to be a clo--an Echo Fighter. In fact, now that the term has been coined, many have voiced their support for the idea, as Sakurai and his team have made the once reviled thought appealing or at least simply acceptable. This isn't a bad thing per se; it's become so widely acceptable, that many see this as Dixie's all-but-confirmed fate, as if that's her only shot of breaking out of her barrel. What some users--and this entire OP as well--are saying is that yes, we recognize the potential for Dixie to be an Echo of Diddy or a hybrid of DK and Diddy. We also recognize the possibility for Dixie to step in as a fighter who doesn't play like her boyfriend and utilizes her hair in the arena as extensively as she does in the platformers. We have our preferences and our ideal scenario while others may not share the same thoughts, but that's fine. We are willing to discuss the possibilities and get some healthy conversations going even if our thoughts conflict.
There's absolutely no silencing of the Pro Echo side, especially when they're far more vocal and numerous than the Anti-Echo side; I noticed a user was getting upset that this was the main discussion of the thread, so I wanted to drive the conversation to have us talk about why we wanted Dixie in Smash to avoid any flamewars. Just as one side can freely voice their opinion on how Dixie should be implemented, so can the others. Whether they want Echo, Semi-Clone, Unique, Tagteam, Assist Trophy or nothing at all, IDC how the discussion goes as long as it's civil. If we all agree on one of those options, this thread will drop to page 3 in no time.

Further, up til this E3 clones were seen as a negative, not just for "taking slots" but for not representing characters properly (Ganondorf). Echoes have made clones appealing as well as bringing excitement to the idea of identical movesets, but for the longest Dixie's biggest criticism was "LOL, Diddy Clone." Clever marketing is not gonna change that instantly for some, and again we're free to hope for and actively support a Dixie that isn't female Diddy. We're not smearing anyone as nonbelievers or heathens but we are noticing a very large number of Echo or bust people. As the OP I don't want any base-breaking among Dixie Supporters, but implying an "Us vs Them" mindset is the best way to start problems. We're not systematically suppressing those who want an Echo, and stating that you wanna get your opinion inb4purged goes against what I've been trying to maintain in this thread: open discussion that varies and doesn't always see eye-to-eye but is civil. I and InASnowboundLand were steering away from the Echo stuff as a means for everyone to cool off, not to tape the mouths shut of those who disagree.

EDIT: Dammit I'm falling behind. Change Dixie's Dash Attack to the one from Tropical Freeze. This is a good idea, Ultinarok Ultinarok , thank you for coming up with it.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It's not that I want an Echo, I just want Dixie Kong. No matter how she comes, I want her. And the most likely scenario, if its deemed more likely, I'll root for that, because I just want Dixie up in here. If she ends up playing nothing like how I envisioned, whatever! It's Dixie Kong! I want Dixie!!! GIVE ME DIXIE!! Unique, Echo, clone, semi-clone, who cares! Nobody should be trying to fight against Dixie's inclusion as a playable character in this thread. Nobody.

If she's an Assist Trophy, bummer, but it's a step up. If she's used for Diddy's Final Smash and nothing else, bummer, but that's a step up too. Those won't satisfy though... But if she's on that roster, it's reason to celebrate.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
...Silenced? As the OP and one of the users against the Echo Idea I can assure you that the Pro-Echo side has been voicing their stance freely and frequently. I have piped up and said that I'm not okay with the idea but the possibility certainly exists. Others have as well, but the absolute fact is that many more people have dropped in to voice support for her being an Echo. You can go read all the posts from August 8th onwards and even tally up the posts in favor of it. There's absolutely nobody trying to suppress the Pro-Echo side, and while the opposite is not true either, there's certainly many more users expecting an Echo than not. In fact, much of the traffic to this thread has been people dropping in, expressing support, and expecting an Echo. I have consistently said my take on the matter as far back as August 9th as well as August 10th, and openly let the other side voice their opinion, I even updated the OP in the "This Kong's Got Style" section to reflect the situation. A passage from it says:
Now, what this entire passage is telegraphing is that many fans recognize the potential for Dixie to be a clo--an Echo Fighter. In fact, now that the term has been coined, many have voiced their support for the idea, as Sakurai and his team have made the once reviled thought appealing or at least simply acceptable. This isn't a bad thing per se; it's become so widely acceptable, that many see this as Dixie's all-but-confirmed fate, as if that's her only shot of breaking out of her barrel. What some users--and this entire OP as well--are saying is that yes, we recognize the potential for Dixie to be an Echo of Diddy or a hybrid of DK and Diddy. We also recognize the possibility for Dixie to step in as a fighter who doesn't play like her boyfriend and utilizes her hair in the arena as extensively as she does in the platformers. We have our preferences and our ideal scenario while others may not share the same thoughts, but that's fine. We are willing to discuss the possibilities and get some healthy conversations going even if our thoughts conflict.
There's absolutely no silencing of the Pro Echo side, especially when they're far more vocal and numerous than the Anti-Echo side; I noticed a user was getting upset that this was the main discussion of the thread, so I wanted to drive the conversation to have us talk about why we wanted Dixie in Smash to avoid any flamewars. Just as one side can freely voice their opinion on how Dixie should be implemented, so can the others. Whether they want Echo, Semi-Clone, Unique, Tagteam, Assist Trophy or nothing at all, IDC how the discussion goes as long as it's civil. If we all agree on one of those options, this thread will drop to page 3 in no time.

Further, up til this E3 clones were seen as a negative, not just for "taking slots" but for not representing characters properly (Ganondorf). Echoes have made clones appealing as well as bringing excitement to the idea of identical movesets, but for the longest Dixie's biggest criticism was "LOL, Diddy Clone." Clever marketing is not gonna change that instantly for some, and again we're free to hope for and actively support a Dixie that isn't female Diddy. We're not smearing anyone as nonbelievers or heathens but we are noticing a very large number of Echo or bust people. As the OP I don't want any base-breaking among Dixie Supporters, but implying an "Us vs Them" mindset is the best way to start problems. We're not systematically suppressing those who want an Echo, and stating that you wanna get your opinion inb4purged goes against what I've been trying to maintain in this thread: open discussion that varies and doesn't always see eye-to-eye but is civil. I and InASnowboundLand were steering away from the Echo stuff as a means for everyone to cool off, not to tape the mouths shut of those who disagree.

EDIT: Dammit I'm falling behind. Change Dixie's Dash Attack to the one from Tropical Freeze. This is a good idea, Ultinarok Ultinarok , thank you for coming up with it.
Thanks! What better way to break up Echo controversy than by Un-Echoing Dixie as a group? Heck we can even go until every move is unique instead of the end of the page.

Also feel free to provide how many times her dash attack would hit, how much damage each hit would deal, and even things like launch angles and knockback! Really get creative with it, I know you have the potential Mr. illustrated Moveset.

Same with Arymle Roseanne Arymle Roseanne and Juliusaurus Juliusaurus . Feel free to add damage amounts, knockback, charge time for the popgun and its range of damage, get creative! I think once we've redesigned her completely I'll compile all the changes into our own combined Dixie. So having some hypothetical values would pull it all together nicely.

Feel free to also name moves if you feel so inclined. Debating Echo Dixie is causing undue strife so let's bring it together this time and share ideas. I want to break the mold instead of re-hashing the same few arguments every time I come here. We all support this character, so let's pool our support. Simple as that.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thanks! What better way to break up Echo controversy than by Un-Echoing Dixie as a group? Heck we can even go until every move is unique instead of the end of the page.

Also feel free to provide how many times her dash attack would hit, how much damage each hit would deal, and even things like launch angles and knockback! Really get creative with it, I know you have the potential Mr. illustrated Moveset.

Same with Arymle Roseanne Arymle Roseanne and Juliusaurus Juliusaurus . Feel free to add damage amounts, knockback, charge time for the popgun and its range of damage, get creative! I think once we've redesigned her completely I'll compile all the changes into our own combined Dixie. So having some hypothetical values would pull it all together nicely.
Ok! So the Dash Attack will hit 4 times, with the the 1st 3 hits carrying the victim and the last smacks them away. Obviously instead of cartwheeling, she spins.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Neutral aerial would be her spinning once like a top similar to Diddy's cartwheel aerial however the hit boxes would be at her her hair(which does 8% damage) and her body during the spin would do 6% damage if they don't get hit by the hair.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Ok! So the Dash Attack will hit 4 times, with the the 1st 3 hits carrying the victim and the last smacks them away. Obviously instead of cartwheeling, she spins.
What would want the damage to be? Usually moves like that have the first multi-hits do small damage with the last hit doing a little more. Also, would the move change her momentum or maintain it? I set her dash speed at 1.55 (Average running speed, a tiny bit slower than Mario, I'm thinking of maybe upping it to Mario's speed of 1.6).

Also, I'm gonna set a loose rule to only post a new idea after a few other people have posted one, just so the whole set isnt made by the same few people lol. Because I bet all of us could pound out a whole moveset for her on our own.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
What would want the damage to be? Usually moves like that have the first multi-hits do small damage with the last hit doing a little more. Also, would the move change her momentum or maintain it? I set her dash speed at 1.55 (Average running speed, a tiny bit slower than Mario, I'm thinking of maybe upping it to Mario's speed of 1.6).

Also, I'm gonna set a loose rule to only post a new idea after a few other people have posted one, just so the whole set isnt made by the same few people lol. Because I bet all of us could pound out a whole moveset for her on our own.
Uhh personally I tend to avoid damage percentages because they're subjective and can be tweaked from demos to release and even patches, let alone different games, but for the sake of this challenge I'll comply:

First hit does 3% damage, the follow up hits do 3%, 2% and 3%.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Uhh personally I tend to avoid damage percentages because they're subjective and can be tweaked from demos to release and even patches, let alone different games, but for the sake of this challenge I'll comply:

First hit does 3% damage, the follow up hits do 3%, 2% and 3%.
Nice! 11% is a strong dash attack. Yeah damage percents just make a move feel more cohesive, plus we don't have to worry about patches because no one patches our speculation lol.

The reason I'm asking all of this is so I can put together a comprehensive moveset from everyone at the end, and having damage values for some moves and not others would be odd. So rather than plant my own ideas for damage and things, I'd rather the person who proposed the move do it.

We've tackled three of her biggest canon moves, I'm pretty excited to see what unique ideas will get proposed for her other attacks. So far we have a unique nair and uair concept, plus her expected dash attack, Up-B, Neutral B and her air/ground speed.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Honestly if Retro didn't give Dixie a bubblegum gun in Tropical Freeze, I think Sakurai would have seen no way around that. But given she does have that it's so similar to Diddy's peanut gun.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I just hope Sakurai and his team are even aware of the gumball popgun... It's literally the perfect weapon for Dixie Kong, I'd say it's even more fitting for Dixie than the Peanut Popgun is for Diddy.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I think it's pretty obvious that the Dixie Echo is coming up next direct. dark samus come in the direct after Ridley. so after K. Rool's reveal I think we'll probably see Dixie next! yeah I would have liked to see her as an original character. maybe incorporating the partner swap idea they were gonna do with Diddy and Dixie.
but hey we got our man K. Rool so I'll be more than happy with a Dixie Echo that maybe takes DK's up B.

as for the swapping moves game. I'd say she needs a mechanic similar to peach float but it can be held longer, slowly falls, and probably not attack out of it while staying floating.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I just hope Sakurai and his team are even aware of the gumball popgun... It's literally the perfect weapon for Dixie Kong, I'd say it's even more fitting for Dixie than the Peanut Popgun is for Diddy.
Yeah, you can't even play as Dixie unless you replay the game on hard mode, I know tons of people online on various forums who had no idea Dixie even had a bubblegum gun in Tropical Freeze because they never played as her. They just assume she's a hair spinning power up for DK.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Yeah, you can't even play as Dixie unless you replay the game on hard mode, I know tons of people online on various forums who had no idea Dixie even had a bubblegum gun in Tropical Freeze because they never played as her. They just assume she's a hair spinning power up for DK.
You can use it when controlling her in multiplayer too

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Still, it's not up in front of your face like Diddy's popguns were in DK64. Dixie's gumball popgun was not really advertised or marketed heavily as one of her new abilities, and even when you play as her and use the thing, you have to look really close to even see what it is and what it's doing. And with how much attention Sakurai and the team has given the DK series in the past, it makes me nervous they might be ignorant of it... But after K. Rool, and how deep the references are they pulled from, it renews my faith a little in their research department... I can hope.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Still, it's not up in front of your face like Diddy's popguns were in DK64. Dixie's gumball popgun was not really advertised or marketed heavily as one of her new abilities, and even when you play as her and use the thing, you have to look really close to even see what it is and what it's doing. And with how much attention Sakurai and the team has given the DK series in the past, it makes me nervous they might be ignorant of it... But after K. Rool, and how deep the references are they pulled from, it renews my faith a little in their research department... I can hope.
Her official trailer does actually mention the bubblegum gun. Says its a "sweet distraction."

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
For what it's worth, Diddy's peanut popguns (and his rocketbarrel) were only ever seen in DK64, and they did not resurface for eight years until Brawl came along. And because of Brawl, those are now staples of his character. And given K. Rool's extremely faithful moveset, I expect Dixie (unique or Echo) would draw a lot of inspiration from her past appearances.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I still fail to understand how people claim Dixie can be an Echo and still be a loyal characterization of her character. NONE of the Echo characters so far have had a drastic change in ANY of their moves; ALL moves, of ALL Echoes, are copy/pasted from another character. Yes, properties may have changed a bit, animations may have changed, colors and visual touches may have changed, but the CORE of the move is still the same: a punch is the same punch, a kick is the same kick, a sword slash is the same sword slash, a missile is still a missile, and so on.

I can't, and refuse, to see Dixie Kong implemented in this way. I definitely won't be using her if she is like this.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I still fail to understand how people claim Dixie can be an Echo and still be a loyal characterization of her character. NONE of the Echo characters so far have had a drastic change in ANY of their moves; ALL moves, of ALL Echoes, are copy/pasted from another character. Yes, properties may have changed a bit, animations may have changed, colors and visual touches may have changed, but the CORE of the move is still the same: a punch is the same punch, a kick is the same kick, a sword slash is the same sword slash, a missile is still a missile, and so on.

I can't, and refuse, to see Dixie Kong implemented in this way. I definitely won't be using her if she is like this.
Most of Diddy’s moves are generic monkey attacks. You think it would be out of place for Dixie to use monkey attacks despite being a monkey/chimp? (tomato tomato)

It just seems like people were unable to come to terms with this possibility after echo fighters were announced. Dark Samus has more unique capabilities than Dixie does but here we are.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Most of Diddy’s moves are generic monkey attacks. You think it would be out of place for Dixie to use monkey attacks despite being a monkey/chimp? (tomato tomato)

It just seems like people were unable to come to terms with this possibility after echo fighters were announced. Dark Samus has more unique capabilities than Dixie does but here we are.
Not at all. Dixie can do those attacks, of course. I have said this before, but I'll say it again: I just don't believe Echoes are purely chosen under the circumstances you mention. Can this character do these things another character can do? Yes. Then let's just make him/her an Echo to save development time. It sounds lazy, and I'm sorry, but Sakurai and co. are anything but lazy.

Let's not compare Dixie to existing Echoes. I don't believe Dark Samus is as important to Metroid as Dixie is to Donkey Kong. I believe Echoes were added ONLY because of what you mention, and to increase roster size and please their fans. Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom would've never made it in this game if they could have not been Echoes; it was their only chance to make it in. I honestly don't see the same applying to Dixie.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Hey you guys have any moves you'd want to contribute to community Dixie? I'm having the supporters here name one move or attribute change they'd apply to Dixie to turn her from full clone to unique fighter. I'm taking down damage values and attack details and such too.

Basically, I'm trying to get us all to build a community Dixie as an attempt to derail the constant and never-ending Echo debate. We have every move but Neutral B, Up B, dash attack, nair and uair open. Just call dibs on a move, create a concept for it and damage, approximate knockback etc. You'll get credit for your contribution when I piece it all together.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm gonna point out that no, Spring Man is not the face of ARMs. He is just a base character used to introduce fans to the core mechanics of a new game.
ARMS is a game about characterization, and without a mascot. Only time will reveal who the mascot becomes, just like Isabelle and Pikachu.
Spring Man is definitely the mascot of ARMS. In all the group art he is front and center and it only makes sense in a fighting game that someone more basic like Spring Man would be the main character. Just like Ryu from Street Fighter who is not as flashy as Blanca or M. Bison (he's a just a muscular dude in karategi). The main character is always someone like Spring Man. So why do people hate him so much?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Spring Man is definitely the mascot of ARMS. In all the group art he is front and center and it only makes sense in a fighting game that someone more basic like Spring Man would be the main character. Just like Ryu from Street Fighter who is not as flashy as Blanca or M. Bison (he's a just a muscular dude in karategi). The main character is always someone like Spring Man. So why do people hate him so much?
Because mascots are so annoyingly generic. Just think about it: who’s cooler, Pikachu, or the Zard? My point is that hardcore gamers don’t enjoy characters who get their name slapped on to everything related to a game. Heck, I’ve never even seen or heard of anyone in pokemon who keeps a Pikachu, or even Raichu, on their team for more than one gym, because they enjoy the less marketed stuff like Snorlax or the eeveelutions are better competitively AND casually. I’m pretty it would help spring man if his personality was less boring, like several of the others in arms

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Mascots and icons is just what Smash is primarily about, to argue against that is like arguing against the concept of Smash Bros...

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Mascots and icons is just what Smash is primarily about, to argue against that is like arguing against the concept of Smash Bros...
Then, what would be the point of speculation? At this point 75-80% of characters that people are talking about aren’t even close to mascots/icons.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
By the pattern established with every Smash title thus far, the first representative of a given series is always the main character or the mascot (usually they're the same). Mario, Kirby, Link, Samus, DK, Pikachu, Fox, etc. Which is why Spring Man is far and away the most likely ARMS rep if we do end up getting one down the line, as he is more or less the face of ARMS.

But the beauty of current Smash speculation is that, with a few exceptions (the subject of this thread, for instance), pretty much all the core Nintendo all-stars have already gotten in. So we are free to root for the less mainstream characters now, like villains, random Pokemon, RPG side characters, and reps of new first-parties and third-parties.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, I'm not against Dixie being an echo, as long as she gets the Chrom treatment. For me, the big thing about Dixie is that she needs to use her hair and have that helicopter/spin move. If they make her a diddy echo, but give her DK's recovery, and have her hair spin as she does it, then that would cover that.

Now obviously Dixie could definitely be unique or a semi-clone, though really, you could say that about ANY echo character. That, and I'm not in the mindset that echo = bad, and I think it's important to consider that Sakurai giving a character echo treatment probably isn't meant to be malicious.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Then, what would be the point of speculation? At this point 75-80% of characters that people are talking about aren’t even close to mascots/icons.
Well, in my opinion, we're just about wrapping up the essentials for Smash. Every big and important character from every major Nintendo game is here (I mean, that's even the tagline). Every mascot for every game, every important sidekick or villain or rival, and very few if any aren't important in some way. And we've gotten to the point where the most requested Nintendo characters aren't, Geno, Isaac, Bandanna Waddle Dee. One is a side character from one game from over 20 years ago, another is the mascot for a 2nd party forgotten franchise, and the other is basically the Yellow/Blue Toad of the multiplayer games for Kirby... It should be a sign that we already have all of the mascots and icons when even the community is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

At least Dixie Kong was a lead protagonist and starring character for a main franchise DK game, in addition to being a consistent "third banana" in the DK crew.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
For the moveset changing game: have her grab have the same properties as DK's, allowing her to grab opponents with her ponytail above like in the DKC games and carrying them. Naturally, this same animation would remain for carrying crates and barrels.

NONE of the Echo characters so far have had a drastic change in ANY of their moves
Hey, Haaaaaaaave you met Chrom?

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Realistically, how many echo fights do you guys think we'll get in the final game?

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
For the moveset changing game: have her grab have the same properties as DK's, allowing her to grab opponents with her ponytail above like in the DKC games and carrying them. Naturally, this same animation would remain for carrying crates and barrels.

Chrom’s Up-B is also a copy/paste attack, just from a different character. I don’t recall any character using their hair for attacking, grabbing and whatnot, so copy/pasting moves onto Dixie would not make her a passable Echo in my eyes.

There’s no precedent yet for move alterations, Chrom included. Copy/pasting DK’s Up-B to fit Dixie would require an alteration (arms -> hair).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So just been checking this out...

Been watching a whole lot of DKC related videos as of late, and this popped up. It's clearly officially Nintendo, and they mentoin Diddy being faster than the other Kongs in Tropical Freeze. Anyone else notice that? I thought it was because he seems so much smaller than DK, yet according to myself, moves just as fast and that gives the illusion of Diddy being faster, but apperantly it isn't so.

With this being a constant trait of Diddy in the DKC games, I imagine Dixie being a little slower than Diddy in the game as well. Which is good, cause that would give her something different from Diddy instead of being a Echo.

And honestly, I could see her still being a Echo, but a rather ambitious one. In the end, I think Diddy and Dixie will be quite similar but not exactly, maybe a Young Link / Toon Link situation where Diddy takes more after Young Link, and Dixie after Toon Link and having a different Up B altogheter. Dash attack to of course.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I think this is the mentality I do not understand... if Dixie werent an Echo (in the Chrom sense- meaning she has a helicopter jump, hair grabs, and a few unique specials). Dixie should be similar to Diddy in other senses, she should not be as different from the Kongs as she is different from Ridley and Inkling.

I think the issue people have with Dixie being an echo is their own interpretation of what an Echo is supposed to be (read: once again, limited imagination, though not by choice). Chrom made it pretty clear an echo is just some reused assets. If Dixie has all her own hair mechanics, then she is still an echo, and welcomed aboard.
Completely agree with this! Not sure why being an "Echo Fighter" would be a bad thing at all. It makes them no less important, just easier to develop.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Forward air, her tilting her head forward which causes her to lash her ponytail out.
11% clean hit, 8% late hit.

Ok, you guys will be added into the roster. Since you went for the obvious grab choice Glacia do you want to add anything unique or creative to it? Some kind of special cargo mechanic, pivot property etc.? Up to you, but feel free to add your own touch to even "standard" Dixie options.

And is your forward air more of a whipping motion or a swinging motion AR? Does she lash the hair out and then draw it back, with the clean hit being the tip, or is does she swing it forward in a similar arc to Marth's fair? Just trying to fully envision it.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Ok, you guys will be added into the roster. Since you went for the obvious grab choice Glacia do you want to add anything unique or creative to it? Some kind of special cargo mechanic, pivot property etc.? Up to you, but feel free to add your own touch to even "standard" Dixie options.

And is your forward air more of a whipping motion or a swinging motion AR? Does she lash the hair out and then draw it back, with the clean hit being the tip, or is does she swing it forward in a similar arc to Marth's fair? Just trying to fully envision it.
A single whipping motion that last about 3 seconds lashing forward with the clean hit being the tip.

Top Bottom