• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No need to regret the current direction of the discussion, I didn't read any of the posts as hostile. :)

But yea, the "Dixie's music is playing during Diddy's trailer so she must be an Echo" argument popped up during the E3 period. It died quickly, but it was prominent.
Also the fact that Diddy's tail jab has seemingly been removed in favor for this new 'gentleman'.

Truth to be told though, I still would take Dixie as a Echo over nothing. It might be somewhat obvious but, I like playing as Diddy anyway

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
The music that was playing in Diddy's trailer was the Bonus Room music from the original Donkey Kong Country. Were they playing Dixie's music in Diddy's segment at E3?
Some people mistaken the Bonus Room music for the title music in Dkc 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble.
Also the fact that Diddy's tail jab has seemingly been removed in favor for this new 'gentleman'.

Truth to be told though, I still would take Dixie as a Echo over nothing. It might be somewhat obvious but, I like playing as Diddy anyway
Same here though she should be a semi clone at least this point.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Since Diddy has never been in any of the playable demos, we don't know if his pink clothes alt was removed, what his final smash is, or if his tail jab is truly gone.

It is highly suspicious Diddy is being kept under wraps, probably because a lot of his stuff may be shared with Dixie, even if Dixie is a semi-clone and not an echo.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Off topic but i have now cleared all original DKC games. DKC1 101% in 01:28, DKC2 102% in 02:31 and DKC3 105% in 02:35. Had fun with those playthroughs and next up is DKCR. My mission is play through every DKC before smash is released.
Good way to prepare for Dixie... ;)

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Since Diddy has never been in any of the playable demos, we don't know if his pink clothes alt was removed, what his final smash is, or if his tail jab is truly gone.

It is highly suspicious Diddy is being kept under wraps, probably because a lot of his stuff may be shared with Dixie, even if Dixie is a semi-clone and not an echo.
Also don't forget that Diddy's 1-2-3 jab has been changed and no longer utilizes his tail. Perhaps because DIXIE ALSO DOESN'T HAVE A TAIL?!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I really want to see remakes of the original trilogy that stays faithful to the original games in gameplay and tone but expands on things nonetheless. In particular, this being the Dixie thread and all, I feel like DKC3 could have a lot of potential being remade.

I think one thing that makes it sometimes compare "unfavorably" to DKC2 is the fact that the developers did not go as hard on the theme on the game as they did in DKC2. Traveling from world to world felt "random". The enemy designs were also weird but not weird enough or consistently weird enough. The "story" doesn't need to be deep or with a lot of cutscenes but I still felt like they could have done a better job at communicating that Dixie was searching for DK and Diddy. Perhaps like items that relate to DK and Diddy at the different bosses. Like Dixie is checking first in Lake Orangutang (world 1), and defeating Belcha ends up with Dixie finding DK's tie. Defeating Arich leaves Diddy's cap, etc. Dixie's checking every corner of the Northern Kremisphere in search of her friends. Maybe the Bears could point her this way or that.

Also, regarding the villains. Imagine seeing a DKC3 remake where Baron K. Roolenstein being a scientist played more of a role in the game. Like in the later levels/worlds, Kremlings become gradually more mutated/mechanic etc, gaining new abilities. I feel like the entire last world of DKC3 should also be remade and play up the mad scientist or horror theme. Like imagine a village level but full of Kremling Zombies. The village could be full of Bears since that's a DKC3 thing I guess. Put K. Rool's castle on a cliff. Play up the Frankenstein and horror motifs. Have K. Rool experimenting on one of the animal buddies that doesn't show up in the game normally like Rambi. Make the Baron K Roolenstein boss more physical. I want to see Dixie grab K. Rool with her hair and slam him on the ground like she does Kiddy.

Speaking of which, I also would really like to see Dixie gain new abilities. Like since she's the star, extend her hair powers so she can do new things and play in a new way that DK and Diddy can't. And Kiddy...I say keep Kiddy. But maybe change him up somehow. Not sure, but I remember reading on this thread someone suggesting an even smaller Kiddy, like an actual baby, that could be interesting.

Just rambling thoughts. Nintendo ninjas you can take whatever idea you want.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I really want to see remakes of the original trilogy that stays faithful to the original games in gameplay and tone but expands on things nonetheless. In particular, this being the Dixie thread and all, I feel like DKC3 could have a lot of potential being remade.

I think one thing that makes it sometimes compare "unfavorably" to DKC2 is the fact that the developers did not go as hard on the theme on the game as they did in DKC2. Traveling from world to world felt "random". The enemy designs were also weird but not weird enough or consistently weird enough. The "story" doesn't need to be deep or with a lot of cutscenes but I still felt like they could have done a better job at communicating that Dixie was searching for DK and Diddy. Perhaps like items that relate to DK and Diddy at the different bosses. Like Dixie is checking first in Lake Orangutang (world 1), and defeating Belcha ends up with Dixie finding DK's tie. Defeating Arich leaves Diddy's cap, etc. Dixie's checking every corner of the Northern Kremisphere in search of her friends. Maybe the Bears could point her this way or that.

Also, regarding the villains. Imagine seeing a DKC3 remake where Baron K. Roolenstein being a scientist played more of a role in the game. Like in the later levels/worlds, Kremlings become gradually more mutated/mechanic etc, gaining new abilities. I feel like the entire last world of DKC3 should also be remade and play up the mad scientist or horror theme. Like imagine a village level but full of Kremling Zombies. The village could be full of Bears since that's a DKC3 thing I guess. Put K. Rool's castle on a cliff. Play up the Frankenstein and horror motifs. Have K. Rool experimenting on one of the animal buddies that doesn't show up in the game normally like Rambi. Make the Baron K Roolenstein boss more physical. I want to see Dixie grab K. Rool with her hair and slam him on the ground like she does Kiddy.

Speaking of which, I also would really like to see Dixie gain new abilities. Like since she's the star, extend her hair powers so she can do new things and play in a new way that DK and Diddy can't. And Kiddy...I say keep Kiddy. But maybe change him up somehow. Not sure, but I remember reading on this thread someone suggesting an even smaller Kiddy, like an actual baby, that could be interesting.

Just rambling thoughts. Nintendo ninjas you can take whatever idea you want.
As long as the final boss theme doesn't sound like s***... seriously, how did they think that tripe was a worthy follow-up to Gangplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony?!?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
As long as the final boss theme doesn't sound like s***... seriously, how did they think that tripe was a worthy follow-up to Gangplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony?!?

I like the song...

Great melody!

It's the actual boss battle that makes me meh. Come on, Dixie has a cool hair gimmick. They really should have expanded her abilities in the game.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

I like the song...

Great melody!

It's the actual boss battle that makes me meh. Come on, Dixie has a cool hair gimmick. They really should have expanded her abilities in the game.
Melody? What melody? It's just random industrial noises!!!

That remix is pretty good, though.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
hey man dont make me bust out the essay on why eveline novakovic's contributions to the snes trilogy are valuable

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure this has been talked about on here before, but would you guys rather have Dixie as an echo at launch, or as a newcomer as DLC?

Last edited:

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
I'm sure this has been talked about on here before, but would you guys rather have Dixie as an echo at launch, or as a newcomer as DLC?
A newcomer as DLC.

Also, I came here to say that Source Gaming translated another one of Sakurai's Columns. Their tweet of the translation says "While Isabelle was indeed based on Villager, they decided not to make her an echo fighter as they have a lot of differences in body type, and personality. Their motions are very different so they couldn’t be based on each other. " I think this quote bodes well for Dixie as a semi-clone if she is in the game.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
From a portion of the new Famitsu column.

I think a similar process went down when it came to Dixie Kong. :lol:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice

Thought the exact same thing about Dixie as soon as I read this. Although expectations on the amount of newcomers we're getting might be lowered now, although we were already told not to expect 'too many' originally so this 'slow down' might be the same. I still think Dixie has a very strong chance still especially now knowing more about the Isabelle situation. I personally think Isabelle is more similar to Villager than the whole turning Diddy's tail into Dixie's Ponytail.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Yea, all you need is a quick evaluation of Dixie to see that Diddy's moveset won't line up comfortably on her.

I saw the latest GameXplain weekly roundup and was pleasantly surprised to see them supporting Semi-Clone Dixie. Hopefully people are warming up to it now.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Newcomer as dlc. I'd prefer waiting a few more months for Dixie if it means she's done justice. Besides, I have 70+ characters in Ultimate to hold me over.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
See, at first, I would've said a Chrom-style echo pre-Isabelle, but post-Isabelle, My expectations are now set on a semi-clone at launch. That is what I think is the most realistic option.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, all of Isabelle’s animations are unique. And her ultility is vastly different to Villager’s in a way that semi clones aren’t really. She likely took the same, or even more, amount of work than someone like K Rool.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Newcomer list is looking very slim. We can only hope that like Isabelle, Dixie may have started off as an echo but then upgraded to a semi-clone.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, all of Isabelle’s animations are unique. And her ultility is vastly different to Villager’s in a way that semi clones aren’t really. She likely took the same, or even more, amount of work than someone like K Rool.
If that's in reply to me I see that and agree. What I meant was I just don't see how Dixie could be an echo now if he is saying Villager and Isabelle had to be that different. I know they have very similar body shapes but to try and get the same attack animations from a tail at the base of his spine and a ponytail on the top of her head must be much more difficult/different surely?

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
don't want to be rude for isabelle newcomer...but nope...she likely took less time than k.rool or ridley.
she was based of villager and get 2 move from him. some animation is a little bit changed and she get many new animations.
but YES She take more time to do than echo but less time than big newcomer like ridley , inkling or k.rool.

This is where i put the chance of Dixie Playable. ( semi clone or semi newcomer)
i want to believe!
... i think Dixie chance is low.. my hype speculation is low ( not my hype for playing the game) but
still think Dixie is a possibility. I want to be SURPRISED.

Last edited:

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
If that's in reply to me I see that and agree. What I meant was I just don't see how Dixie could be an echo now if he is saying Villager and Isabelle had to be that different. I know they have very similar body shapes but to try and get the same attack animations from a tail at the base of his spine and a ponytail on the top of her head must be much more difficult/different surely?
Aside from the pony tail, which can be rigged suitably but applying a fixed bone to the banana area and letting the hair flow ala Tropical Freeze (except for certain animations), she shares largely the same body type and even the same abilities, besides from the copter spin Up B which is a difference big enough to justify her own slot instead of a reskin, but not big enough to be considered a Dr Mario type semi clone.

However, I fully agree that she needs some sort of copter spinning if she was to be implemented in Smash.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey, you're back! It's unlikely Isabelle took as much time as K. Rool. Looking at her moveset, and Sakurai admitting that she's based on Villager, Isabelle likely took as much time and effort that Wolf took in Brawl: 70%.

To say that she took as much time as K. Rool, who is not based on any fighter is incorrect. However, that doesn't diminish Isabelle as her own fighter. Trying to argue that she took as much time as K. Rool for whatever reason to justify Isabelle is a bit pointless. She's not an Echo, she is based on someone so yes her development was smoother, and she plays in ways that set her firmly apart from her base character.

EDIT: Would you like to answer what those abilities that she shares with Diddy are? I asked you to name them the last time I replied to you and got no response, so since you're back and saying the same things, can you answer my question?

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
With the recent comment about Sakurai and the team basically blowing their load early for character reveals and don't expect many more just dampered my hope for Dixie. I'm starting to believe the "box theory" really is true...and that the last Smash Direct will start with Incineroar, then talk about Spirits mode, online talk, the two obvious echoes in Ken and Shadow and I think the direct ends with the final character reveal being Geno. Which would bring our newcomer total up to an even 70. I don't think we're gonna get a reveal of any kind in October. I'd LOVE to be wrong but I feel this is the way it's gonna go...unfortunately...

That all being said I can't complain I got my most wanted Smash character with K.Rool (17 years of waiting...), Ridley, Inklings, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Isabelle were all great additions and were great at washing the taste of Wii U's newcomer roster out of my mouth. BUT to end on the 4 I presume we're going to be seeing isn't that hype at all. IMO they put the best in the front and the worst in the back. While I still want Dixie my faith in her making the base game is slim IMO. But damn straight if there's DLC she's gonna be my #1 support (even more than she already is).

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Back with another sketch! This time Dixie with Nintendo's leading ladies. I couldn't forget to include Isabelle since her inclusion made it possible for a more unique Dixie!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah Dixie will be in the same boat as Isabelle in terms of having to have quite some differences.

If she doesn't make it into the base game we know it's because she wasn't suited to be an echo (which should make sense to everyone who knows Dixie), since she'd probably be important enough to make it otherwise (echos should be easy enough to make, but obviously it doesn't make sense for Dixie).

If you change enough for Dixie to make her so much different than the other echos by working much more on specific moves then you can put a little more work into it by making her a semi-clone, which would make much more sense for her anyway.

I think she's still possible, but I'm mostly hoping for DLC.. it looks like the box theory got another push, or at least we'll only get very few more.

Then again, the possibility of being a semi-clone could give Dixie an edge over others still (also for DLC), since it could be easier to create her.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Dixie will be in the same boat as Isabelle in terms of having to have quite some differences.

If she doesn't make it into the base game we know it's because she wasn't suited to be an echo (which should make sense to everyone who knows Dixie), since she'd probably be important enough to make it otherwise (echos should be easy enough to make, but obviously it doesn't make sense for Dixie).

If you change enough for Dixie to make her so much different than the other echos by working much more on specific moves then you can put a little more work into it by making her a semi-clone, which would make much more sense for her anyway.

I think she's still possible, but I'm mostly hoping for DLC.. it looks like the box theory got another push, or at least we'll only get very few more.

Then again, the possibility of being a semi-clone could give Dixie an edge over others still (also for DLC), since it could be easier to create her.
Agreed. She is easier to implement, which sadly makes me believe that if she doesn't make it it's over for her :( DK has been sidelined for far too long and I doubt K. Rool would've made it if it weren't for the ballot. Sakurai is just not interested in DK as a series...

cybersai

Smash Ace
It depends. Isabelle and Dixie likely started off as echoes like the others, but then Sakurai realized Isabelle should be more unique. Maybe he thought the same for Dixie.

He obviously didn't think Daisy, Chrom, Richter or even Dark Samus had enough to be unique. Dark Samus especially could have been upgraded to a semi-clone, Dark Samus' Assist back in Smash U has specials that her playable one doesn't have.

My guess is it came down to Dark Samus or Dixie, and with any luck, Sakurai chose Dixie to upgrade to a semi-clone. Would be best case scenario, who knows.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
It depends. Isabelle and Dixie likely started off as echoes like the others, but then Sakurai realized Isabelle should be more unique. Maybe he thought the same for Dixie.

He obviously didn't think Daisy, Chrom, Richter or even Dark Samus had enough to be unique. Dark Samus especially could have been upgraded to a semi-clone, Dark Samus' Assist back in Smash U has specials that her playable one doesn't have.

My guess is it came down to Dark Samus or Dixie, and with any luck, Sakurai chose Dixie to upgrade to a semi-clone. Would be best case scenario, who knows.
It’s not quite like that.

Isabelle’s not an echo (or even a semi clone) because of her body type and proportions being incompatible with Villager’s. Also, her characterisitcs are extremely different from Villager.

Meanwhile someone like Dark Samus or Daisy have the same body shape and very similar proportions. Sakurai did note that whilst Daisy’s basic attack animations are the same, she has different characteristics that translate to performance differences. However, she’s a clone BECAUSE her body shape and fighting style is like Peach’s. Same with Dark Samus. She has a unique animations but she can technically perform all the same things as Samus because it’s in her DNA and she shares the same body type.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Man are you gonna answer BirthNote BirthNote 's question or not or are you gonna keep ignoring it because you know you have no legs to stand on? You can admit you were wrong and we will forgive you or maybe we were wrong and Diddy and Dixie share the same exact moves. Maybe I missed DKC4: Kiddy's Kremling Krusade, where Diddy and Dixie performed the same exact way.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Man are you gonna answer BirthNote BirthNote 's question or not or are you gonna keep ignoring it because you know you have no legs to stand on? You can admit you were wrong and we will forgive you or maybe we were wrong and Diddy and Dixie share the same exact moves. Maybe I missed DKC4: Kiddy's Kremling Krusade, where Diddy and Dixie performed the same exact way.
If that's really memory man, you're better off not bothering with him. He always dodges arguments when he can't win. He does this a lot especially on game FAQ's.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Sakurai is just not interested in DK as a series...
The lack of Dixie Kong is a bummer, but can you really still say that Sakurai is biased against the DK series when he gave it a brand new fighter (not even an echo or semi-clone), a new Assist Trophy, a new item, and a rockin' new remix of Gankplank Galleon?

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
The lack of Dixie Kong is a bummer, but can you really still say that Sakurai is biased against the DK series when he gave it a brand new fighter (not even an echo or semi-clone), a new Assist Trophy, a new item, and a rockin' new remix of Gankplank Galleon?
Well he doesn't hate it like some people claim but unfortunately if Dixie missing people will still believe he's bias since Dkc still haven't gotten all its core characters yet and the fact that Tropical Freeze being ignored makes it worse.

I'm not saying he hates Dkc but it's kind of a shame it gets quite shafted in Smash especially since all 6 of its main games(the SNES trilogy, 64 and the recent two Dkc games) had been very successful.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
DK should’ve got all of those things in past Smash games to be honest... Assuming Dixie is nowhere to be seen in Smash Ultimate, yes, I will say that the bias is still there.

It’s just baffling how she’s NEVER been acknowledged, bar trophies and a sticker, while other series enjoy it all.

Top Bottom