• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Well I did it. I just bought Tropical Freeze as my first game on the Switch. My wife and I will be going playing it 2 player in a couple days on our vacation to Florida. Will let you know what I think of it, I will expect good things.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
At the request of spoilerowl spoilerowl when I posted my group sketch of the Kongs, here is a redesign of Swanky Kong! I wanted to make him different from DK and Funky, so I took the design of the Helper Monkeys from Jungle Beat and changed it a bit. I did keep his attire from DKC3 since I changed his appearance so much.

cybersai

Smash Ace
To this day I have no idea who or what Swanky Kong was supposed to be. I mean I played DKC2-3 many times, but he seems so...disconnected from everyone else. You had Cranky/Candy/Funky there as support characters, then they added Wrinkly, but Swanky Kong was like this weird extra Kong for bonus rooms that I legit forget exists half the time.

Rare really went overboard constantly creating new Kongs one after the other, I'm glad Retro reeled it back in to just focus on Donkey/Diddy/Dixie/Cranky and Funky. Honestly we don't need all these extra Kong's constantly, and I doubt they'll ever return in future games either.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's kind of funny because Swanky Kong feels like Proto-Ravio of DK-verse - this more quirkier take on the main character, sharing even the same looks. Somehow it always came off as pretty funny to me. :laugh:

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
somehow swanky being "the forgotten kong" makes him more interesting to me. if they actually brought him back in any meaningful capacity im not sure i would care that much.

maybe im just contrarian

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Rare really went overboard constantly creating new Kongs one after the other, I'm glad Retro reeled it back in to just focus on Donkey/Diddy/Dixie/Cranky and Funky. Honestly we don't need all these extra Kong's constantly, and I doubt they'll ever return in future games either.
I see where you're coming from, but I think there's ways to bring them back. If they're keeping Cranky and Funky playable from now on, I could see Candy being in charge of the item shop. They could bring Swanky in if they wanna bring back minigames.

And Kiddy and the 64 crew could be NPCs that you have to save or have sidequests attached to them. And when the time's right they could make a playable appearance here or there.

I think it's good to keep the focus on the main 3 (and Cranky and Funky), but I think the other characters help expand the universe. Plus I really wanna see a DK Warriors game :laugh:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't care what DKC song they reveal with Dixie as long as it isn't yet ANOTHER version of Jungle Hijinx. I can't guys, I just simply CAN'T anymore...I LOVED Jungle Hijinx it was one of my favorite videogame tunes but the overuse by Nintendo in general as well as Smash Bros. has made me grow tired of the song ESPECIALLY when DKC has some of the BEST music tracks in all of gaming. Yet we constantly only get one track remixed over and over again....
I absolutely agree with this. I've never been crazy about how they handled Donkey Kong's in the Smash series. The new Gangplank Galleon remix in Ultimate is a good start though, I will say that.

Speaking of K Rool themes, I really hope this makes it into Ultimate too:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think when it comes to Crocodile Cacophony and Big Boss Blues, they'll likely show up in a "K. Rool Medley". You've got the big, iconic GPG, and the others will be seen as "extra" imo. I vastly prefer CC, but since it isn't the original K. Rool theme, I don't think it or BBB will get their own individual remixes, but are still important enough to be referenced. K. Rool can't have too many music slots dedicated to just him.

EDIT: I just took a look at that Japanese promo art, and I find it funny that Dixie takes precedence over Diddy. The title reads Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Man it's been a week since Isabelle's reveal as well as some new-found hope for Dixie's moveset. I just wanna soak in the good feeling that she brought. Hope is alive and well for me.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I don't know why Dixie was never an Assist back in Brawl or Smash U either. If Sakurai couldn't get her playable she should have gotten something. It would be no different than other Assist who became playable like Little Mac, Isabelle, Dark Samus, etc.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I don't know why Dixie was never an Assist back in Brawl or Smash U either. If Sakurai couldn't get her playable she should have gotten something. It would be no different than other Assist who became playable like Little Mac, Isabelle, Dark Samus, etc.
I know I'll get flamed for saying this as people like to do, whenever I mention it but I STILL think it's Sakurai DK bias....Yes we got K.Rool but I truly believe only because of fan votes (which he confirmed and we all know) and his hands were tied. He knew WE knew K.Rool was probably the REAL ballot winner and if he didn't add him people would definitely know something was up. Sakurai said the only reason Diddy was added in Brawl because people kept questioning why he wasn't there and not because Sakurai personally wanted him in. Also we're just NOW getting a DK assist trophy 5 games in...don't even get me started on the lack of variety in DK music and stages...

I do think Dixie will get in simply due to Sakurai addressing the complaints that DK as a series has been lacking representation in Smash Bros for YEARS. Tropical Freeze was too much of a success for Nintendo to completely ignore. I say we get Dixie (echo or not) and a returning Jungle Hijinx with an ice/snow paint job and the removal of the background/foreground mechanic.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's weird that we got so little DK content in general. I remember talk of a Chunky Kong AT raining down bananas in demos but no footage or screenshots.

With so little attention being paid to this series in Smash, it was like it was some obscure IP.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's weird that we got so little DK content in general. I remember talk of a Chunky Kong AT raining down bananas in demos but no footage or screenshots.

With so little attention being paid to this series in Smash, it was like it was some obscure IP.
It sucks but I understand why though, barring spin-offs the DKC series was essentially dead from 1999 to 2011, other franchises with more relevant games were sadly prioritised, all the other DK characters faded into obscurity apart from DK and Diddy mostly thanks to mario spin-offs. Then returns didn't exactly have a whole lot to offer in terms of characters or assists as well so it was skipped on too.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

You don't know how much I was hoping for that rumor about Chunky to be real. It would have been a really neat surprise AT to have him return in physcal form for the first time since, what? 2005? 2006?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I see where you're coming from, but I think there's ways to bring them back. If they're keeping Cranky and Funky playable from now on, I could see Candy being in charge of the item shop. They could bring Swanky in if they wanna bring back minigames.

And Kiddy and the 64 crew could be NPCs that you have to save or have sidequests attached to them. And when the time's right they could make a playable appearance here or there.

I think it's good to keep the focus on the main 3 (and Cranky and Funky), but I think the other characters help expand the universe. Plus I really wanna see a DK Warriors game :laugh:
I agree with all this. I mean, they had promoted Cranky and Funky, so who's to say they wouldn't want the majority of the clan to get in on the fun?

Also, your last point reminds me of this:

stuff_people_say_281_by_flintofmother3-dawf2ry.jpg

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
You don't know how much I was hoping for that rumor about Chunky to be real. It would have been a really neat surprise AT to have him return in physcal form for the first time since, what? 2005? 2006?
Lol, yea I remember checking the K. Rool thread to see if someone found proof constantly. It really is strange how absent he's been. He's not even in Barrel Blast, which is weird cuz all the other playable Kongs from '64 are there.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
That's what I'm saying all the time, Sakurai doesn't like or does not care about dk!
I'm so grateful for K.rool, so happy that he's finally joining the cast, but he along with diddy and dixie should have been in melee already.
Every franchise in smash is well presented (yes, even Metroid!) except the dk franchise.
If you look at F-zero for instance it has very cool stages that are based on actual racing courses from the games, we have an assist trophy and a very very good selection of music from every major game! This series is almost dead...
Isn't it weird that the phenomenal soundtrack of the dkc trilogy is completely ignored in smash? We only have Gangplank galleon and thousand remixes of jungle hijinx from dkc1, bramble blast from dkc2, nothing from dkc3 and only the dk rap from dk64. No assist trophies besides klap trap after 5 smash games (it's a stage hazard from the dk stages from melee by the way, is that laziness?).
It doesn't seem like we'll be getting a tropical freeze stage which is a shame, so I hope Dixie Kong is playable, if she's not, I know I won't be enjoying the game as much as I want.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I don't get why people think they would have been in Melee, Melee didn't have many newcomers besides clones, only really Diddy should have made it in Melee.

Melee added two of the biggest characters Peach and Bowser, Zelda/Shiek, new Pokemon rep Mewtwo, two retro characters Ice Climbers and Game and Watch, and then Marth. And then everyone else were clones like Falco, Ganondorf, Young Link, Pichu, Dr. Mario, etc. Even if DK was at the height of its popularity around the time, it's obvious why K. Rool didn't happen. Diddy should of though.

Even Kirby didn't get any newcomers in Melee. What should have happened is only one retro character, as much as I love the Ice Climbers, it's weird we had both them AND Mr. Game and Watch. Diddy should have been there over one of them.

However by Brawl we finally got Diddy, and Dixie should have been separately. By 2008 K. Rool was gone besides spinoffs. Had Retro included K. Rool in DKCR back in 2010...there's no doubt in my mind K. Rool would have been in Smash U. So it's likely Retro to blame for K. Rool's absence in Smash for so long, not Sakurai's.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Lol, yea I remember checking the K. Rool thread to see if someone found proof constantly. It really is strange how absent he's been. He's not even in Barrel Blast, which is weird cuz all the other playable Kongs from '64 are there.
I think that's because he and DK are too much alike. Both big and strong. My point i guess is that they want to keep DK the strongest Kong so there' s no room or place for Chunky.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
However by Brawl we finally got Diddy, and Dixie should have been separately. By 2008 K. Rool was gone besides spinoffs. Had Retro included K. Rool in DKCR back in 2010...there's no doubt in my mind K. Rool would have been in Smash U. So it's likely Retro to blame for K. Rool's absence in Smash for so long, not Sakurai's.
Maybe if Retro wasn't so giddy at cramming so many polygons per game, they might have had time to think of bringing back the Kremlings instead of desperately coming up with replacements to wash the bad taste of the Tiki Taks off people's mouths.

Speaking of which, do you think the Tiki Taks will come back as enemies in Spirits? Although I figure they were only in Smash Run because the models were easy to port over from Returns.

I think that's because he and DK are too much alike. Both big and strong. My point i guess is that they want to keep DK the strongest Kong so there' s no room or place for Chunky.
Maybe they'll find some purpose for him someday, maybe being much slower than DK to balance out his huge strength, or something like that.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I don't get why people think they would have been in Melee, Melee didn't have many newcomers besides clones, only really Diddy should have made it in Melee.

Melee added two of the biggest characters Peach and Bowser, Zelda/Shiek, new Pokemon rep Mewtwo, two retro characters Ice Climbers and Game and Watch, and then Marth. And then everyone else were clones like Falco, Ganondorf, Young Link, Pichu, Dr. Mario, etc. Even if DK was at the height of its popularity around the time, it's obvious why K. Rool didn't happen. Diddy should of though.

Even Kirby didn't get any newcomers in Melee. What should have happened is only one retro character, as much as I love the Ice Climbers, it's weird we had both them AND Mr. Game and Watch. Diddy should have been there over one of them.

Can you please explain to me why it only made sense to have Diddy in melee but not k.rool and Dixie? The DK and Zelda franchise both almost sold 40mil at that time, so they should have been equal in representation. Besides that Shiek only appeared in ocarina of Time as Zelda's alter ego, Dixie was a main character in dkc2 and the star of dkc3. Ganondorf in his human form only appeared in ocarina of Time as well whereas k.rool was the main villain in all dk games. DK was very very popular in Japan, that's where the games sold most, so I don't get it why Sakurai didn't put any priority in the dk series.
Game and watch and Ice climbers where both unnecessary in melee, he should have implemented them in brawl where he clearly had more development time, and instead should have put more dk reps in melee.
If rare was still with Nintendo, the dk series would have much higher sales by now and still be popular. I mean, the zelda series doubled that sales since then, while the dk series only sold 15mil more and is now at roughly 56mil.
And don't start with Kirby, back then kirby was very niche, it's still no big seller today but Kirby gets games very frequently and they almost always sell 1mil copies. So it's only understandable he waited till brawl to include meta Knight and king dedede so that no one could say he prefered his own series. Back then I thought King Dedede should have been enough for the series, I mean dk only got Diddy.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But even I thought King Dedede should have been enough for the series, I mean dk only got Diddy.
Funny thing is, Sakurai could almost agree with you about that. Even putting aside his reluctance to adding Kirby characters made by other people, Meta Knight has less of his actual Kirbyverse attacks in Smash compared to the source material (not even the Link-esque downward stab), whereas Dedede is practically fully faithful. Heck, Dedede was once considered for inclusion in the very first game's roster.

You could say that Dedede is his favorite Kirby character.

If Dixie ends up playable, will she make realistic chimpanzee noises?
I figure they might take the 64/Melee Luigi route and have Diddy's noises higher-pitched, but I do hope they'll give her something distinctive.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Dixie is the last truly deserving character that I would like to see in Smash. Been playing since 64, and hoping for Diddy/Dixie/K. Rool since Melee was announced. This may be the last Smash game I actively follow. I already think my gaming years are mostly done, and Smash in general is geared to a different audience nowadays.

Crossing my fingers.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
How is it "geared to a different audience"??? Smash is as it has always been. With a variety of characters and mechanics chosen to appeal to different demographics.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
How is it "geared to a different audience"??? Smash is as it has always been. With a variety of characters and mechanics chosen to appeal to different demographics.
I mean in the sense that there are new game franchises that I've never played, and hence new gaming trends. Newcomers since Smash Wii U have focused on this for the most part. For instance, I've never touched a Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Splatoon, Xenoblade or any of the post-Mario Galaxy Mario games.

I mean I know K. Rool, Ridley and Simon are overall timeless newcomers, but I think it's just me getting old and not playing as much as I used to :)

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I usually don't buy plushies but I would definitely make an exception for Dixie. I would love to own that one on the far right behind the fan.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's Retro Studios' 20th anniversary, yet they're quieter than WF's stance on Shantae. It would be nice for them to show a title tease for the next DKC, at least. Even that would be enough.
Fr tho where in the hell is retro studios? Tropical freeze came out 4 years ago (I'm not sure if they made the port or if it was outsourced tbh) and yet they're still completely silent, I really thought we'd finally see their new project at this years e3 but I guess not

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’d like to see Dixie Kong make it, we need another Kong in the fight, I’ll support her being in, she’s on my wishlist.

Top Bottom