• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lack of Yoshi's im seeing stuns me.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
As those of you who know me, I am a pretty strong advocate to Yoshi In the scene. Seeing the power and just high class of the New yoshi is absolutely the most gratifying thing i have felt in the series to date, and yet, despite the notice of yoshi being easily top 3 and confirmed top 5 by a majority of the community, Nobody really plays him. Last weekend was the first wii u opening tourney for smash in my region, and yet, i found myself being 1 of 2 yoshi's there (not just some basement smash but a full fledged tourney) and the other clearly not understanding yoshi. Ended up taking second losing in grand finals to a captain falcon i had beaten earlier in the tourney.

I guess in this confused ramble, Im curious if any of the Yoshi mains are returning to the game other than the 2-3 ive seen so far like Zudenka.

Btw, if you are curious about my yoshi here is my winners finals set. i drop 1 stock the whole set and first match is won in less than a minute. http://www.twitch.tv/BreadnButterGames/c/5554964

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I just got back from a tournament myself where I also took second losing to an Olimar/Duck Hunt Dog Main in Grand Finals. There was actually a player today who lost pretty bad in the tournament, and I was talking to him and asking him about the tournament, and he mentioned to me that his own main, Wii Fit Trainer, is pretty bad in his opinion and that he is thinking of changing to someone better. I mentioned yoshi being amazing, and he made the response, "Yoshi is top tier for sure, but way too weird and janky for me."

I have played yoshi ever since Melee and Brawl, and so I am pretty used to his playstyle. It isn't odd to me in the slightest, but I can see how others could think him as a strange character to learn. I mean, he is pretty unique in how he is played imo. That may be the reason, though I really don't know.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The thing with Yoshi is only the real avid Yoshi players after years of playing him will actually do well in tournaments and maybe in the future have a handful of high national tournament placings (or even winnings). He's top 3/5 for sure but he isn't like Diddy or sheik/rosa post nerf where you can play those 3 for a couple days and be able to go and win a small tournament or even a 50 something regional.

Yoshi's playstyle was prolly just too awkward and not fun to play for most people since he's always been That weird character since Melee days, not even counting the no OoS options problem.
Why actually have to half learn a top tier character like Yoshi when you can put in a lot less effort into learning Rosa/Sheik and now Diddy just to win tournaments? This also applies with Sonic ZSS and maybe Fox this time around too, though not counting the awkward playstyle part and having to play them through multiple games since Sonic and Diddy in brawl was pretty cookie cutter and ZSS was a bit harder to go winning nationals with.

Or maybe Yoshi mains just need to be a masochist to play him.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
I feel like that kind of mentality slush will envoke an anti meta to yoshi, but i agree with you too that only people who have played yoshi in the past seem to do well because he still is mechanically the same, but his kit actually works now. Removing the OoS problem was a huge plus to him and he easily could of been bottom tier if that problem stayed.

Post patch though, i feel like yoshi moved above roselina. A huge problem in that match up for yoshi was luma, and i feel just removing the luma is way more than enough to deal with rosalina. Shiek is likely the hardest to deal with initially of the top tiers.

I will be going to NWM in december, and i doubt ill place less than 5th. Been watching M2k and unless he drastically improves in the game, I have a fair shot. Yoshi should honestly not lose to Diddy. Both diddy and yoshi excel with no platforms, but yoshi juggles much more efficiently, and diddy is the scary weight class against jugglers. Yoshi also has a much more effective defense game, and with a ground combat defense game with the grounded down-b shield breaker, i cant see diddy having a super safe approach.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Just don't get grabbed into every one of Diddy's aerials.

Unless you have incredibly low self confidence ala that Saik Yoshi in the social thread, my words should be more of a motivation boost to prove I'm wrong that even Newblood can triumph over old players.

My mentality is fine and Imma stick with it. Unless I'm getting last place in every tournament I enter for then I'll worry about how I think about the evolution of players and people who play our character instead of just bandwagon people while being the "special kid" not going for Diddy sonic to win everything but something a tad lower in the food chain.

Also the inactivity in both our skype group and this board proves my statement even more on how people would rather still go play other characters over Yoshi.
He's not that simple of a character to pick up and go winning everything was my previous posts point.

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
I dont need a Motivation boost. I play to win, even in friendlies. Not a match goes by where i dont try to learn and improve myself. I really do feel i have what it takes to take down M2k, especially with his severe lack of playing even a mildly decent yoshi. Ive played him in brawl in the past and took him to game 3 when he thought i was just some easy pick and he went Snake against my yoshi and got complimented for it. being in the scene since '06 really has allowed me to grow as a player and i know almost all of the high players play styles.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Honestly, Yoshi is being way overrated. He's still a solid character but to say he's top 5 is a bit much. I would argue he may even be less than 8th. Also, what slush said about Yoshi being awkward is true. Not many people even bother for this reason.

Last edited:

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
Evening.

Haven't played Smash for a while, how does the new Yoshi feel?

Also I'm an old Yoshi considering returning soon.

Last edited:

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
a lot of people never have taken yoshi srsly
still persists today even with the buff he has gotten

u gotta realize a lot of people sometimes pick their mains or characters of how cool they look etc. even as petty as it sounds
and since yoshi also isnt an easy character to master unless us yoshi mains that have used him loyally since past smash then thats another reason even as good as he is now

but w.e more uniqueness

rje457

Smash Cadet
You know if there are not to many Yoshi's, that's okay with me. I kinda like playing a different character compared to most people and not just play common character and not be special.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I run into a Yoshi every 10 games or so on For Glory. They are all the worst.
90% of For Glory.

You know if there are not to many Yoshi's, that's okay with me. I kinda like playing a different character compared to most people and not just play common character and not be special.
Having a small amount of players for one character is good too, means we won't get flooded with multiple threads asking the same question. Though the bad part being not many reps or our boards being incredibly dead.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with him being lower, especially since M2k Agreed with me, and i trust his experience.

Spoonfairy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spoonfairy
3DS FC
3497-0809-3503
I have been "maining" Yoshi from back in the N64 days, but for 15 years I have had the worst playstyle with him. I am just overaggressive, worked great against my friend way back then when we thought grabbing was "cheap". But now that habit is making me lose 90% of the time against anyone who know how to shield/dodge and punish me :E

WECsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
WECsoul
3DS FC
0259-1277-6150
I started playing yoshi in brawl again after i had kinda disliked melee-yoshi. In ssb4 he's my secondary again and I really enjoy playing him. Somehow I feel like there are more yoshis in the 3ds version's online mode than in the wii u one (for glory).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
That's probably because people bought a 3ds for Smash4 or pokemon, if the former they were impatient and no longer have money for the Wii U + smash 4 again most likely.

John Sorci

Smash Rookie
NNID
johnsorci
I'm surprised how uncommon he is as well. But from a lot of players I talk to they seem to be annoyed by how good he is for some reason.

Also with the latest balance patch I noticed that Yoshi has a bit more recovery, so maybe that could be part of it?

Either way I love my Yoshi.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I disagree with him being lower, especially since M2k Agreed with me, and i trust his experience.
M2K's opinion doesn't matter when his lack of mu experience always makes him think characters are broken. Yoshi may be better now, but he is not a top tier character. People are already getting used to Yoshi so you'll see in a matter of time. When I play noobs or people who don't know the mu it seems like I have all the tools in the world, but that's quickly taken away when I play a top/high lvl player who knows the mu. This is not to say he's a bad character but definitely not top 8 imo

Scatz

Smash Champion
He's still a character that has trouble creating situations when a player is patient, and that's something that a lot of the better characters possess.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I started playing Yoshi in Brawl, but only months before Smash 4 released. I generally main new characters for each Smash game so I don't get bored. I feel like I picked up Yoshi at the perfect time; I came to appreciate his moves and playstyle in Brawl, and then once I tried him in Smash 4 no other character compared.

Also, add me to the pile of people who have heard others say Yoshi feels too weird.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm a tad bias, but really Yoshi isn't hard to play at all anymore. Having a shield and standing upright means that we no longer have to play like a contortionist to avoid getting hit. We also have decent approaches and eggs that don't require as much perfection to avoid getting hit just for throwing one. We also lost just about every super technical movement option we had from previous games.

We're still unique and some things will take getting used to for some people, but we're not really this completely inaccessible character we used to be. I don't think we're top tier really, but we're definately high mid to low high as of right now.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
That's not bias, it honestly is easier to play Yoshi. But somehow it's still awkward for people and they shy away from him still.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
It is somewhat surprising. I rarely run into Yoshi's in FG. Im actually really pleased because Yoshi has brought me out of a losing slump I've been in while trying to find the right character. (I've been trying since the games release to find myself in the game). And Yoshi is up in my top choices now for a main.

But I shouldn't be too surprised... When I first picked up Sm4sh for the 3DS I couldnt get a handle on Yoshi, he didnt feel the same as in previous iterations; it was only after trying him recently on the Wii U that it felt like Yoshi again. I blame the 3DS controls. I've never mained Yoshi before, he was always more of a secondary (because of better options), but I've always been pretty darn good with him in Melee and even in N64 back in the day (skipped Brawl cus Brawl), so once I picked him up again on the Wii U, it still felt like Yoshi, which is nice.

This time around though, he is significantly more powerful than previous iterations. His tool kit is astounding. I'm glad Yoshi finally has a chance to really shine in smash.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Yoshi once in Smash 4 and that dude is nasty. The problem is this: character usage in general is on the wider, thinner side because there are virtually no bad characters this time around. Everyone is still getting over their favorite characters being buffed and whatnot. It may be a little while before people start to realize which characters are objectively the best beyond Diddy, Rosa, etc.

Unicorn Choke-Slam

Smash Rookie
NNID
Beatnes
Yoshi is the one character that clicks with me. His funky and awkward mobility, moveset, and gameplay sync well with my funky and awkward personality. I have rosalina as a secondary, but pre-patch, she was almost on par with my yoshi. Now, she has fallen behind while my yoshi accelerated. Yoshi is the one character that fits my style, i consistently win with, and am passionate about. I played him since the japanese release and i love him as a character. I find playing as yoshi more entertaining than tier-chasing and maining rosa/diddy/sheik just to win tournaments. And also, yoshi can compete well in the upper tier list and even take whole tourneys.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I personally dislike playing Yoshi dittos (I don't want a taste of my own rotten egg medicine) so I'm pretty happy about the lack of Yoshis on For Glory.

elmike

Smash Apprentice
Removing the OoS problem was a huge plus to him and he easily could of been bottom tier if that problem stayed.
Can you elaborate on why removing the OoS problem is that important?
I love yoshi and i'm trying to main him (and fox)

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Having only 3 real options out of shield previously (a twelve hour drop, a four day grab or a crappy roll) made even using shield at all unsafe. Having one of the most essential features in the game unsafe to use meant Yoshi was at a disadvantage before the match even began.

He relied heavily on pivot grab and B-reverse as defensive measures in Brawl, but that didn't help much against a lot of characters with safe approach options (or projectiles). Being able to jump out of shield (not to mention his shield dropping a LOT faster) means he's not debilitated defensively (which might be why his pivot grab was made almost useless compared to his neutral B options). He is an unpredictable character by nature, so having unpredictable OoS options is a huge buff.

shapular

Smash Ace
The thing with Yoshi is only the real avid Yoshi players after years of playing him will actually do well in tournaments and maybe in the future have a handful of high national tournament placings (or even winnings). He's top 3/5 for sure but he isn't like Diddy or sheik/rosa post nerf where you can play those 3 for a couple days and be able to go and win a small tournament or even a 50 something regional.

Yoshi's playstyle was prolly just too awkward and not fun to play for most people since he's always been That weird character since Melee days, not even counting the no OoS options problem.
Why actually have to half learn a top tier character like Yoshi when you can put in a lot less effort into learning Rosa/Sheik and now Diddy just to win tournaments? This also applies with Sonic ZSS and maybe Fox this time around too, though not counting the awkward playstyle part and having to play them through multiple games since Sonic and Diddy in brawl was pretty cookie cutter and ZSS was a bit harder to go winning nationals with.

Or maybe Yoshi mains just need to be a masochist to play him.
I don't think Yoshi is that hard, and I never used him in Melee and hardly ever in Brawl. It only took me a week or two to be able to use him well. The only thing that's awkward for me is having his double jump be almost his entire recovery.

Actually, I just got back from a tournament myself where I also took second losing to an Olimar/Duck Hunt Dog Main in Grand Finals. There was actually a player today who lost pretty bad in the tournament, and I was talking to him and asking him about the tournament, and he mentioned to me that his own main, Wii Fit Trainer, is pretty bad in his opinion and that he is thinking of changing to someone better. I mentioned yoshi being amazing, and he made the response, "Yoshi is top tier for sure, but way too weird and janky for me."
Incidentally, I switched from WFT to Yoshi. He's right about WFT being bad, but I'd say she's weirder and jankier than Yoshi.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Can you elaborate on why removing the OoS problem is that important?
I love yoshi and i'm trying to main him (and fox)
Agreed on what Scarlie Jile said above. While his shield is unpokeable, he also becomes trapped to the fury of any player who knows how to punish. Once you went into shield, you were forced to commit to it; and more often than not punished with a grab by the opponent. Giving Yoshi an OoS option easily boosted him to the higher tiers, as you are no longer at the hands of the opponent, but can now defend yourself and punish with an OoS Nair or Usmash.

In all of my FG matches, I've encountered probably less than 10 Yoshis. In Smash 4, there's much more variety of characters and not one of them is "bad." Yoshi has an awkward playstyle stemming from Melee (especially) and Brawl. Most yoshi mains in Smash 4 have played him in previous games and come to appreciate his movement. Without the experience from previous games, many people who are new to Yoshi feel that he's just to awkward of a character and pick someone else to main.

Whatever the case, I enjoy the buffs he's received an will continue to represent him in tournaments. :D

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I played in a 131 man tournament yesterday playing Yoshi. I got 17th. Played some guy with an Evo shirt that went by "Denti", but I'm not sure what that implies outside of "really good". All I know is that Diddy vs. Yoshi is a bad match for Yoshi. Yoshi can't have people getting too aggressive on him, and Diddy's just way too aggressive, imo.

From what I saw, I was the highest placed Yoshi player there, right outside of semis. That being said, there were a decent amount of them there. Me and maybe 3 others?

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It doesn't sadly because I didn't go with SA due to our cities poor planning and unexpected last minute thing I needed to be around for.

sorasin

Smash Apprentice
Picked up Yoshi today, considering maining him. His quick playstyle with a variety of good defensive and offensive options piqued my interest. Also pelting my opponents with a barrage of eggs is just lovely.

db132

Smash Rookie
NNID
db-132
3DS FC
3308-4650-8095
I personally dislike playing Yoshi dittos (I don't want a taste of my own rotten egg medicine) so I'm pretty happy about the lack of Yoshis on For Glory.
lol, maybe that's why seemingly every decent/good Yoshi player I've encountered there always quits after the first match.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
lol, maybe that's why seemingly every decent/good Yoshi player I've encountered there always quits after the first match.
No, that's just FG in general. If you even want a chance of them staying, you better win first and win often.

Top Bottom