• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Matchup Thread

JRad

Smash Apprentice
There's almost always a reset of some sort with Kirby, is what I'm saying. A grab can lead to death if you're smart.
A grab very rarely leads into death even if you are smart imo. A kill of a grab at 0, barring a gimp, requires 4-5 reads unless your opponent likes to miss techs. I will say that kirby can combo decently off a grabs and does have some pretty good mixups. From the videos I have seen, it seems like a lot of people don't know how good uthrow/fthrow ->horizontal cutter is.

SSS

Smash Ace
A grab very rarely leads into death even if you are smart imo. A kill of a grab at 0, barring a gimp, requires 4-5 reads unless your opponent likes to miss techs. I will say that kirby can combo decently off a grabs and does have some pretty good mixups. From the videos I have seen, it seems like a lot of people don't know how good uthrow/fthrow ->horizontal cutter is.
Why read when you have dash attack

SSS

Smash Ace
Oh. Don't you have to run back first to get both (all?) hits?
On fast fallers I dthrow then wavedash back. If they don't tech, I can sometimes get a jab, but I usually just wait. If they neutral tech (or neutral getup, or getup attack) I can get a grab. If they tech through me it's a free grab. If they tech away I can get a dash attack on most characters (not optimal). Of course I can just dthrow them near a ledge. They start to catch on that tech away is the best option, but then I just read it and wreck em. Anyway that's for characters with short techs.

With long techs I can't risk wavedashing back because then they'll tech away and I can't reach them, even with dash attack. I just have to hope they tech left or right so I can dash attack or grab them, respectively. either way if they tech away it's usually a dash attack unless they have a short tech roll and i don't wavedash back, but that's risking them doing neutral tech>jab or shine or grab or something, or no tech and then I have to deal with waiting for the getup attack or the tech. I usually have to wavedash back at that point. if of course, it's a character with a short tech roll and i don't wavedash back, they eventually realize that no tech or neutral tech is the best option (as on short tech chars like G&W the grab is free for left/right tech). But then I punish with hammer, grab, or jab for the reset. Usually just hammer though because it covers both neutral tech and no tech, whereas grab and jab both only cover one. I might experiment with something like using fast fall fair to grab to hard read neutral techs/no techs. I think the first hit of fair will reset them if they didn't tech if I fast fall it correctly.

Note to self: make flowchart

Other note to self: test characters' tech distances

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
On fast fallers I dthrow then wavedash back. If they don't tech, I can sometimes get a jab, but I usually just wait. If they neutral tech (or neutral getup, or getup attack) I can get a grab. If they tech through me it's a free grab. If they tech away I can get a dash attack on most characters (not optimal). Of course I can just dthrow them near a ledge. They start to catch on that tech away is the best option, but then I just read it and wreck em. Anyway that's for characters with short techs.

With long techs I can't risk wavedashing back because then they'll tech away and I can't reach them, even with dash attack. I just have to hope they tech left or right so I can dash attack or grab them, respectively. either way if they tech away it's usually a dash attack unless they have a short tech roll and i don't wavedash back, but that's risking them doing neutral tech>jab or shine or grab or something, or no tech and then I have to deal with waiting for the getup attack or the tech. I usually have to wavedash back at that point. if of course, it's a character with a short tech roll and i don't wavedash back, they eventually realize that no tech or neutral tech is the best option (as on short tech chars like G&W the grab is free for left/right tech). But then I punish with hammer, grab, or jab for the reset. Usually just hammer though because it covers both neutral tech and no tech, whereas grab and jab both only cover one. I might experiment with something like using fast fall fair to grab to hard read neutral techs/no techs. I think the first hit of fair will reset them if they didn't tech if I fast fall it correctly.

Note to self: make flowchart

Other note to self: test characters' tech distances
Rock is also very good punish, its just like Falcon's stomp, and is a true combo into aerial hammer at certain %s. Basically Kirby's version of Stomp > Knee.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Also if you ever get a chance to start tech chasing on a platform, they're screwed if you do it right. Always react to tech in place, if they dont do that they have to tech roll which can be reacted to. And if they dont tech, either jab reset, sheild grab the getup attack, or react to the roll.

For longer tech rolls (not on platform), or rolls you dont react to perfectly, if you think they're too far away for you to grab them b4 they spotdodge dont even grab just wait and see what they do, and if you know what they'll do just punish accordingly. Most players will never sheild in that situation, so they'll either roll, spotdodge, or attack. Just bait out whatever they do and punish. Jumping over them covers spotdodge and attack (unless they know you'll jump over and use a vertical hitbox attack then dont go straight over them). And if you think they'll roll back just punish any way you can. But also keep in mind the character, if its a spacie they'll probably shine (or spotdodge shine) or if its Peach they might dsmash... just remember to take whatever you can into account, see what they do the first time and try again it might work.

Just my little bit on tech chasing lol.

Last edited:

benefluence

Smash Rookie
I am still convinced we can't chaingrab anyone that DIs. I have yet to see otherwise
Kirby. Kirby has a true chaingrab in the mirror that works from zero until death percents.

To my knowledge, nobody except Kirby can be regrabbed on DI away by the standing grab. However, there are several that you can regrab with dash+JC grab (essentially the really floaty characters):

Zelda (0%)
Samus (0%)
Luigi (0%)
Peach (20%)
Ivy (~50%)
Jiggs (0%)

I'm not 100% sure that they're in hitstun long enough for the grab to be guaranteed in all of these cases , but I think at least most of them are.

SSS

Smash Ace
Long-tech. A bit more involved, with more chances to escape. However, if they do figure out the couple of options, there are ways to punish them for taking that specific route.
20140801_145646.jpg

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Kirby. Kirby has a true chaingrab in the mirror that works from zero until death percents.

To my knowledge, nobody except Kirby can be regrabbed on DI away by the standing grab. However, there are several that you can regrab with dash+JC grab (essentially the really floaty characters):

Zelda (0%)
Samus (0%)
Luigi (0%)
Peach (20%)
Ivy (~50%)
Jiggs (0%)

I'm not 100% sure that they're in hitstun long enough for the grab to be guaranteed in all of these cases , but I think at least most of them are.
Yeah it depends on fall speed. The really floaty characters (Puff, Peach, Samus, Zelda, Popo, Kirby, Luigi) is guaranteed at 0% but i have no idea when it no longer becomes guaranteed. And it keeps going down the line by fall speed, R.O.B at certain %s is guaranteed for a while, and like DK at certain (very high) %s is guaranteed. Its best if someone made some kind of chart.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I was just testing stuff out and its gonna be pretty difficult to find out. Luigi, ICs, and Kirby can actually get out of it if they DI perfectly away at 0%. And ROB because he's so big can actually tech the ground before you can grab him with DI away at like 90% lol. So i came up with a simple way thats not 100% accurate cuz we dont have exact frame data, so i took them from Melee/Brawl since they were the same and assume its still the same.

Grab/JC grab comes out on frame 7
Dthrow has like 20 frames of endlag after that final kick (prob not useful info at all lol)
Kirby has to run like 5 frames or so before he can JC grab their DI away
No matter where they DI they stay in the air for the same amount of frames

That was all going by estimate, so if Fsmash comes out on frame 12 lets say, if you can hit them with Fsmash after the dthrow you should be able to grab them again if they DIed max distance away. All this stuff is probably wrong but visually it looks good. Ex: Mario is 82%

Last edited:

benefluence

Smash Rookie
When you say get out, do you mean tech or DJ/nair out? If I DI hard sideways on Kirby and Luigi at 0%, I still get the regrab before either hits the ground. Lugi's a really tight timing, maybe 1 frame, but it's definitely possible. Kirby's is pretty easy. You don't JC, just stand and grab as fast as possible.

I couldn't get the ICs, but I feel like its a bad idea to try to chainthrow them anyway given that the other can usually hit you out of it.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
When you say get out, do you mean tech or DJ/nair out? If I DI hard sideways on Kirby and Luigi at 0%, I still get the regrab before either hits the ground. Lugi's a really tight timing, maybe 1 frame, but it's definitely possible. Kirby's is pretty easy. You don't JC, just stand and grab as fast as possible.

I couldn't get the ICs, but I feel like its a bad idea to try to chainthrow them anyway given that the other can usually hit you out of it.
Yeah it might be tight timing i just tested it 2 times and just assumed it didnt work. But yeah when i say get out I mean tech before you can grab.

JRad

Smash Apprentice
I played tonightm unfortunately it wasnt recorded but I can confirm that jigglypuff can be chaingrab 0-40+. Tried chaingrabbing a luigi at like 15% and that failed but that could be me

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
So Charizard tho???

@KiraFlax too good
I actually have barely any info on this matchup but reading the Zard boards I found he was very weak to combos and juggles. So if you get a hit in, try to get him above you and start comboing and juggling him. He's a big target with low aerial mobility so its seems easy. Dair and Nair dont come out below him until frames 18-20. So below him is where you want to be. Hes a big target, so fthrow is probably more useful since I know its more useful the bigger the opponent is. Other than that, just bait his nairs or whatever. Run in and sheild/wd oos seems like it would be really good. Some also said that Peach, ROB, Pit, and MK are all bad matchups for Charizard so Im sure Kirby fits in there as well. idk, idk anything about Charizard.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
On the other hand, Charizard's range (especially N-Air) can give Kirby hell when he tries to get in... It's probably close to even, I'd say.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
I actually have barely any info on this matchup but reading the Zard boards I found he was very weak to combos and juggles. So if you get a hit in, try to get him above you and start comboing and juggling him. He's a big target with low aerial mobility so its seems easy. Dair and Nair dont come out below him until frames 18-20. So below him is where you want to be. Hes a big target, so fthrow is probably more useful since I know its more useful the bigger the opponent is. Other than that, just bait his nairs or whatever. Run in and sheild/wd oos seems like it would be really good. Some also said that Peach, ROB, Pit, and MK are all bad matchups for Charizard so Im sure Kirby fits in there as well. idk, idk anything about Charizard.
Also, aerial hammer can intercept recoveries if you predict a jump or if he comes straight at you with the glide. All that you need here is spacing, and an aggressively recovering charizard.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
I just got absolutely destroyed by a metaknight... need help...
His Uair juggling is still very real.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I just got absolutely destroyed by a metaknight... need help...
His Uair juggling is still very real.
Ik, its one of if not our worst matchup. What exactly was destroying you? Just the uair juggling? Dont know what you were doing, but do not try to mash an attack out, youll just keep getting hit. Just focus on escaping the uairs and DI them horizontally. I know the main part about this matchup is who can tech chase better. Focus on grabbing but avoid getting grabbed. This matchup is heavily focused on mindgames I would say. Since he is a semi fast faller, you can pull some cheese with utilt and rock. If they dont DI the u-tilt it truly combos and kills into grounded hammer at like 65-70%. His transendent sword means approaching wiht DA/CD is on the verge of useless. Run up sheild is pretty good, just dont get predictable with it so you dont get grabbed. Even tho he's MK, his vertical recovery isnt that good. If you can get him below the stage, kill him.

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Ik, its one of if not our worst matchup. What exactly was destroying you? Just the uair juggling? Dont know what you were doing, but do not try to mash an attack out, youll just keep getting hit. Just focus on escaping the uairs and DI them horizontally. I know the main part about this matchup is who can tech chase better. Focus on grabbing but avoid getting grabbed. This matchup is heavily focused on mindgames I would say. Since he is a semi fast faller, you can pull some cheese with utilt and rock. If they dont DI the u-tilt it truly combos and kills into grounded hammer at like 65-70%. His transendent sword means approaching wiht DA/CD is on the verge of useless. Run up sheild is pretty good, just dont get predictable with it so you dont get grabbed. Even tho he's MK, his vertical recovery isnt that good. If you can get him below the stage, kill him.
Below the stage is safe if you own the ledge or are far enough away that the meta knight can't just shuttle loop and get back on stage safely. Otherwise, shuttle loop will stage spike you or clear the way for meta knight to recover. If he's nearby and below stage, you will have to hit him before he can react. Otherwise, it isn't safe and the situation might turn away from your favor.

SSS

Smash Ace
MK is hard. Zard is hard. Link is hard. Mewtwo is hard. Samus is hard. Marth is hard.

Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Sheik, Ness, Snake, and ZSS are all pretty easy (with varying degrees).

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
How is Fox, Falco, Wolf, and ZSS easy?

Although we have some good options vs those characters that you said are easy, I don't see how they would be easy at all. They have good tools or options against Kirby as well. I don't see any of those MUs being in Kirby's favor.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
How is Fox, Falco, Wolf, and ZSS easy?

Although we have some good options vs those characters that you said are easy, I don't see how they would be easy at all. They have good tools or options against Kirby as well. I don't see any of those MUs being in Kirby's favor.
they're easy compared to Kirby's other matchups and how other characters do against those characters. they're still hard, but not as hard.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
they're easy compared to Kirby's other matchups and how other characters do against those characters. they're still hard, but not as hard.
I would like for you to explain why you think that for every character you mentioned.

Just letting you know now that I highly disagree with you about certain character choices and I would like to see why you think that.

Now if you said that his easy or easier MUs were like Kirby, Zelda, Ganondorf, and G&W, then I would be more inclined to agree. Maybe even against Wario and Luigi.

SSS

Smash Ace
I would like for you to explain why you think that for every character you mentioned.

Just letting you know now that I highly disagree with you about certain character choices and I would like to see why you think that.

Now if you said that his easy or easier MUs were like Kirby, Zelda, Ganondorf, and G&W, then I would be more inclined to agree. Maybe even against Wario and Luigi.
Wario is evenish. Spacies are easy in the sense that they are as easy as spacies can be. Also you can kill them for free. It's like the Puff/Spacie matchup but you don't have rest (but all of your moves are good unlike Puff who only has bair so it doesn't matter). ZSS is just that I have played that matchup a number of times against a number of players and I find it to not be a hard matchup.

Basically when I get beaten by a spacie or ZSS i feel like i lost to the player, not the character (like when I fight Link).

Also, some info. When you dthrow Diddy Kong next to a banana, he can tech through the banana for free and you can't follow up with Dash Attack (you trip). However if you read it you can side cutter to avoid the banana and punish.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I was playing against a Mario main last night. Felt overwhelmed. Those fireballs are difficult for me to get around.

Any suggestions on how to approach a Mario. Since we're both short ranged fighters, we have to get into each others faces.

I'm not the best, and I'm rather slow in playstyle, so obviously someone who's faster than me techwise is going to overwhelm me, naturally. I try to rely on my ability to read opponents and expose weaknesses to trip them up. So, any suggestions would be nice. Approaches and what not.

SSS

Smash Ace
I was playing against a Mario main last night. Felt overwhelmed. Those fireballs are difficult for me to get around.

Any suggestions on how to approach a Mario. Since we're both short ranged fighters, we have to get into each others faces.

I'm not the best, and I'm rather slow in playstyle, so obviously someone who's faster than me techwise is going to overwhelm me, naturally. I try to rely on my ability to read opponents and expose weaknesses to trip them up. So, any suggestions would be nice. Approaches and what not.
I know it sounds really scrubby to say this, but this is actually a matchup where you want to steal fireballs. There are a couple matchups where it actually does make a big difference, and this is one of them. You can kinda bounce in the air with double jumps and shoot fireballs, and they'll fall down to him and he won't be able to reach you with his own fireballs. Any approach he makes is relatively telegraphed.

Just go into training mode and take fireballs and practice with that.

That's all I have on the matchup as of right now because I haven't fought many Marios, but the Marios that I have fought, fireballs really helped me out.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Wario is evenish. Spacies are easy in the sense that they are as easy as spacies can be. Also you can kill them for free. It's like the Puff/Spacie matchup but you don't have rest (but all of your moves are good unlike Puff who only has bair so it doesn't matter). ZSS is just that I have played that matchup a number of times against a number of players and I find it to not be a hard matchup.

Basically when I get beaten by a spacie or ZSS i feel like i lost to the player, not the character (like when I fight Link).
The spacie MU with Kirby is actually quite different from the spacie MU with Jigglypuff. Unlike Jigglypuff, Kirby has very low air mobility (37/41 compared to Jigglypuff’s 2/41). On the other side, Kirby has a much faster run speed (27/41) than Jigglypuff (41/41). Kirby also has much better ground options overall in comparison.

I understand what you mean when you say that Kirby can kill them for free, but it’s really not that easy. Firstly the neutral is heavily in Falco’s favor. Even supposing that Kirby gets Falco off the edge, it’s not “free” to edgeguard him, although it is certainly easy in comparison to most of the cast. Kirby does not have Jigglypuff’s air mobility which makes him significantly worse than Jigglypuff when it comes to going off stage for the edgueguard.

Having rest and many ways to hit with it far outweighs any of Kirby’s options. Furthermore, Jigglypuff doesn’t only have bair and rest. All of her air attacks (including pound) have utility during offense, and her grab is obviously a huge threat in that match. Up tilt on the ground also leads into rest.

As for ZSS. She is way faster on the ground (6/41) compared to Kirby (27/41). She has way higher air mobility (3/41) compared to Kirby (37/41). She has way more range overall. She has a much better disjoint on multiple moves. She has a much better projectile. She combos Kirby way better and easier than Kirby can combo her. She has way better KO options in the MU (Downsmash, Forward Smash, Up air, back air, etc). She has way better recovery options, and she has way better edgeguarding options (in the MU).

How can you look at this match and even think that this MU is even remotely in Kirby’s favor? (Skip to 1:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5SvcppgcQU&list=UUNQJBqULtyOg9flR1jYpeaw

Even though it is clear that the Kirby player made mistakes, it should still be relatively easy to see how well ZSS does in this MU.

Please explain what factors in this MU make you think that this MU is easy for Kirby, and please record some matches of you playing a good ZSS or please link in here a match that shows what you say, so I can see what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢

Hella copy abilities are good if you know how to use them, even the bad ones, most people just look at the move in a vacuum and make judgements based on that. But yeah like SSS said, Mario's fireballs are one of the best. Learn to cover his options with them. You can wave land out of a short hopped fireball for extra mobility. Fireball his downb recovery, use them to block his attempt to upb wall jump. Just test stuff out, most people don't know the matchup of kirby with their copy ability, and once they find out that what you are doing with it is viable and not just some scrubby mistake they get mind gamed and get flustered not knowing what to do.

But in the matchup it's important to not get grabbed. Weave in and out if his range and punish his whiff. Don't mindlessly rush in with dash attacks or anything. Your good at being patient and reading, do that. Learn what combos you can get outbid your moves to punish hard. Never let him use down b to gain height just dair the top of it.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
Alright so I want all of you to ignore what I've said thus far because I'm approaching match-ups from a different perspective.

That being said I'm only going to comment on the ones I think I know from tourney (and non-tourney) experience.

Also note that when I say "bad" I don't necessarily mean terrible. In fact a lot of the time I mean that I'd rather go Snake (which is just a personal thing and probably doesn't apply to like 98% of you).

Also note that I'm not claiming that I am, in any way, a definitive or even remotely accurate source of match-up information.

:charizard:-- bad (possibly one of Kirby's worst)

:dk2:-- evenish (maybe slightly in DK's favor)

:kirby2:-- 70/60 Kirby's favor

:link2:-- bad for Kirby (ughu)

:mario2:-- evenish (maybe slightly in Kirby's favor)

:marth:-- bad for Kirby

:gw: -- good for Kirby

:ness2: -- evenish (probably slightly in Kirby's favor)

:peach: -- even (I've played this match-up a lot against various players and I think it's dead even)

:pt: -- lol wait wut

:samus2: -- a little bad for Kirby (but Kirby can still do some stuff)

:sheik: -- slightly in Kirby's favor

:snake: -- good for Kirby (some Snake players say it's his worst matchup, I don't know if I agree)

:squirtle: -- evenish (feels pretty even, might be a bit in Squirtle? could go either way)

:wario: -- slightly in Kirby's favor

:warioc: -- slightly in Wario's favor

:zelda: -- good for Kirby (guys the chaingrab in this match-up is just ridiculous; i need to test more but I did it today in tournament and the guy was DI'ing as hard as he could; ban Dreamland against Zelda because by the time fsmash will kill her dthrow to fsmash will stop working)

I hear that Ivy/Kirby is really good but I don't have experience in it. Olimar/Kirby is weird. I played today and I lost most of the time but I was having a hard time figuring out the match-up, plus the guy was a bit better than I am, so I don't know.

Top Bottom