• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King's sub-Hierarchy of Moves

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Wait, the king has his own separate hierarchy of moves? Of course he does!!
From more than a year of experience with this character, I think I figured out something close to an accurate tier list for King Dedede's moves. This is my own list and it's just what think is true. Feel free to criticize or write up your own lists. I think many can agree with me on this list though, if not, then I can explain why a certain move is where it is or why one move is below or on top of another.

TOP​
Down Throw
Back Air
Up Tilt

HIGH​
Neutral B
Down Air
Back Throw
Forward Tilt
Side B
Down Smash​

MIDDLE​
Forward Air
Down Tilt
Up Air
Forward Throw
Forward Smash

LOW
Up B
Neutral Air
Jab
Dash Attack
Up Smash​

BOTTOM
Up Throw
Down B​

TOP: The moves that make King Dedede's metagame formidable.
HIGH: These are excellent moves with beneficial properties.
MIDDLE: Intermediate moves that should be used every now and then. They are decent and the majority are killing moves, yet, they have drawbacks.
LOW: (All information excluding Up B, since it should be used for recovering only.) Moves that should be used rarely and should be used with caution, seeing as how they are all more punishable than moves above them, except neutral air in which it has lack of range, which covers for its spot. Do not underestimate them and do not ignore them while fighting. Almost every one of King Dedede's moves has at least one good use.
BOTTOM: Moves that never need to be used. The reason being is that King Dedede has better options in every situation in where you might use one of those moves. If ever used, you should only use them once per match, for a mindgame.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Bthrow is Top, Fsmash is low, Nair is Middle, Dtilt and Fair is High, Usmash is Bottom IMO

Jupz

Smash Master
I would swap Fair and Side B around, but its a solid list. Also, dash attack isn't that bad. You can use it to punish tech chases.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I totally disagreeeeeee.
What do you disagree with in particular?
Bthrow is Top, Fsmash is low, Nair is Middle, Dtilt and Fair is High, Usmash is Bottom IMO
I know that's all just your opinion... But I should explain anyway.
Back throw is not top because it's not what makes King Dedede top tier in the first place. To be more specific, it's not top tier because it's only for the damage. The top tier moves already there are metagame-changing. If King Dedede didn't have those, he wouldn't be top tier. Back throw is not extremely good or metagame-changing, just for damage. Be happy it's high because that's where it should be.

This list is a ranking from top to bottom...and forward smash is borderline to low. It's where it is because it can be spaced very well, has a huge hitbox from King Dedede's head to like a yard away from his feet, and it when it's spaced properly, it can kill much earlier than any other smash attack in the game.

Neutral Air is not middle because of its horrible range. In situations, it's more appropriate to do another aerial because it's hard to hit with it neutral air sometimes, and the knockback is feeble and it's knockback trajectory is dumb. Down tilt and forward air should not be high because of the better options listed above them, and more importantly, forward air has more lag and can screw timing with hitting your opponent while being in the air. Down tilt isn't high either because it's best uses are to stop approaches and get a late kill, but normally, it's better to grab when at low percentages than to use down tilt. Down tilt isn't bad, it's just decent, so it should be middle.
Up smash is low because it should be used rarely to cover for when your opponent expects an up tilt while falling back to stage, and it has as much killing power as down smash does. It has that great use which is why it's not bottom... Bottom moves don't need to be used, as already said there.

up throw is definately not bottom <_<
People like this don't understand simple reasoning... which is already said on the original post.. Look at the Bottom discription. It doesn't need to be used at all.
If you still don't understand, explain why it shouldn't be bottom compared to the moves above it please, and I'll explain further.

Waddles vary a lot in usefulness from match to match.
That's why it's high tier, silly. -_-

Top Bottom