• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Looks like Mexico and China aren't the only places where King of Fighters is popular:

In Korea, KoF All-Star was the top grossing Anime-like Gacha game throughout the January - June 2019 period. Keep in mind that the Korean version released in May so it only had 2 months to earn that much revenue as opposed to the other games having 6 full months. It even outgrossed Langrisser, DBZ Dokkan Battle, and Fate/Grand Order.

I've usually been hesitant on the mobile KoF games but I'm really looking forward to the Global release of All-Star.
Holy ****, outgrossing FGO is nothing to scoff at.

I don't think gachas usually matter much as far as Smash is concerned, but... if anything, I guess we should take it as a form of solidifying SNK's return to the spotlight.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’m in! Esaka is the perfect stage for Kyo, with music from The King of Fighters series, both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear Smash remixes of music from The King of Fighters series, especially Tears from KOF 99. BTW I checked out the Iori thread, and I’m all for Iori as well.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So, there was an interview from Power Geyser (a page dedicated to KOF and SNK on Facebook) with a community manager from SNK recently.

https://www.facebook.com/766782870156451/posts/1285915251576541/

Apparently, KOF XV is being done mostly from scratch (same engine as SamSho) and K9999 is pretty much confirmed to never return for "legal reasons".
Yeah I don't expect to ever see K9999 again considering that he is essentially a carbon copy of Tetsuo from Akira (heck he's even voiced by Tetsuo's Japanese VA). Best we can hope for is for KoF 2002 UM's Nameless to return since he was K9999's replacement in that game.

I'm glad they're switching to Unreal instead of using SNK's self-made engine for XIV since it'll probably result in better visuals like SamSho and SNK will have an easier time working with it. If the game is being done from scratch I wonder if this means we'll get cuts. In terms of KoF XIV newcomers I'm hoping Sylvie and the entire Another World team make it in.

Unfortunately I think pirate Lucina Love Heart might get cut since she was removed from the SNK Heroines artbook. I think it might have something to do with the rights to her pachinko game so I'm not sure if she'll appear in XV.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Love Heart IP was sold off, she is prolly in the same boat as the character with 4 digits that shouldn't be named

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Love Heart IP was sold off, she is prolly in the same boat as the character with 4 digits that shouldn't be named
Ouch that's a shame. Really hoping Mui Mui doesn't meet the same fate.

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
hey sup i got some news i really wanna share with you guys and this is absolutely cool as I just found this out and it just happened a few hours ago but it turns out that snk has just partnered up with the likes of ARCADE1UP (the guys who make officially licensed mini 4ft arcade cabinets) to create and release a king of fighters cabinet that will come with 3 games kof 94, kof 96 and kof 98 and this miniture 4ft cabinet will have a neo geo mvs based design and it will come with a special king of fighters styled riser

this is what the cabinet is going to look like:

this cabinet is going to be shown at the Tokyo game show later in September and those who do attend will get to try it out alongside the bugertime cabinet
also heres a link to the arcade1up tgs2019 page if you guys wanna check it out yourselves https://arcade1up.jp/

for anyone who doesn't know arcade1up these guys have made many cabinets since 2018 and heck these guys have even made mortal kombat and street fighter styled cabinets so I do find out so cool that snk are partnering up with these cool guys at arcade1up

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
hey sup i got some news i really wanna share with you guys and this is absolutely cool as I just found this out and it just happened a few hours ago but it turns out that snk has just partnered up with the likes of ARCADE1UP (the guys who make officially licensed mini 4ft arcade cabinets) to create and release a king of fighters cabinet that will come with 3 games kof 94, kof 96 and kof 98 and this miniture 4ft cabinet will have a neo geo mvs based design and it will come with a special king of fighters styled riser

this is what the cabinet is going to look like:

this cabinet is going to be shown at the Tokyo game show later in September and those who do attend will get to try it out alongside the bugertime cabinet
also heres a link to the arcade1up tgs2019 page if you guys wanna check it out yourselves https://arcade1up.jp/

for anyone who doesn't know arcade1up these guys have made many cabinets since 2018 and heck these guys have even made mortal kombat and street fighter styled cabinets so I do find out so cool that snk are partnering up with these cool guys at arcade1up
Damn that arcade machine looks awesome. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Story time: the boardwalk I go to every year has an arcade machine with a ton of arcade classics. For example it has most of the sprite-based Street Fighter games and Marvel vs Capcom built into it. Of course there are a lot of SNK games there like KoF 94 - 2002, Fatal Fury 1- 3, and most of the Samurai Shodown games to name a few. I wish those types of arcade machines were more common because it's probably the most fun I've ever had at an arcade.

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
Crossposting from Nakoruru thread:
HOLY **** IS IT REALLY HAPPENING
ARE WE REALLY GETTING AN SNK CHARACTER AS THE NEXT DLC FIGHTER
THIS MIGHT BE THE JACKPOT LADS WE MAY HAVE HIT THE JACKPOT
I REALLY HOPE THIS MEANS WE ARE GETTING KYO AS THE NEXT CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!

as you can tell from that IAM EXTREMELY HYPED ABOUT THIS
MY MOST WANTED DLC CHARACTER MIGHT FINALLY BE COMING TO SMASH
and that is kyo obviously

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If we get a rotating envelope next Direct... boy, I am going to scream. I literally cried on the Banjo reveal, but I gotta say... this will probably come close, especially if it really is Kyo.

Also, Sari Sari , where are you? Come to the hype train with us!!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I JUST HEARD THE NEWS!

I LEGIT HAD TO TRIPLE-CHECK IT TO MAKE SURE I WASN'T DREAMING!

WHETHER IT BE KYO, TERRY, NAKORURU, MAI, IORI, METAL SLUG, OR ANYONE ELSE, SNK IS COMING TO SMASH!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If Terry gets in I wonder if they'll do what they did for Corrin/Robin/Inkling/WFT/PT/Villager etc. and include this.

Official Nintendo Published Video BTW.
As much as I'd love for this to happen, we probably won't be seeing this since they'd have to make a whole new model and voice clips.

That said, if Terry does get in he has to have his Garou outfit.

1567367158851.png

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
I knew you would be very hyped just from that reaction
also if we do end up getting terry then just like you sari I would love to see his garou
i mean i would want kyo more but i wouldnt mind terry infact i still be very hyped for terry as he his pretty cool

actually if it does turns out to be kyo then for his alts
and i have an awesome idea for what his alts can be
basically have each of kyo's alt skins be costumes that kyo wears throughout the kof series

for example:
classic kyo outfit (main alt)
nests kyo outfit
kof 2003 kyo outfit
kof xi kyo outfit
kof xiii kyo outfit
kof xiv kyo outfit
maximum impact kyo outfit
jacketless kyo or kyo sp outfit from kof 99 evolution on the sega dreamcast

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think whether we get Kyo or Terry, we're getting alt costumes regardless.

But man... this is the perfect opportunity for Kyo. I have to say I'll be kinda disappointed if it's anyone else - though still happy that a character from SNK is in, of course.

Especially because judging from the content Joker and Hero came with, having someone from Fatal Fury or SamSho would mean we'd only get content from that specific series. With KOF, there is at least a chance we get a lot of different SNK games represented, because of its nature as a crossover fighter.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I knew you would be very hyped just from that reaction
also if we do end up getting terry then just like you sari I would love to see his garou
i mean i would want kyo more but i wouldnt mind terry infact i still be very hyped for terry as he his pretty cool

actually if it does turns out to be kyo then for his alts
and i have an awesome idea for what his alts can be
basically have each of kyo's alt skins be costumes that kyo wears throughout the kof series

for example:
classic kyo outfit (main alt)
nests kyo outfit
kof 2003 kyo outfit
kof xi kyo outfit
kof xiii kyo outfit
kof xiv kyo outfit
maximum impact kyo outfit
jacketless kyo or kyo sp outfit from kof 99 evolution on the sega dreamcast
My ideal Kyo costume selection would go something like this:

Since characters usually just have 8 costumes they can cut out the whole second half of this pic. That said though, NESTS Kyo is a must as it is still my favorite of all his outfits. I'll be pissed if they go with his KoF XIV design since I hate his Justin Bieber-styled hair.

Also wow, I just realized the front page of this thread is a big mess with broken pictures and outdated info. I'm gonna have to update it by tonight since this thread is getting more attention.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
I'm rooting for kyo, it's about time he gets in on that sweet crossover action he's been missing out on

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Saw this on Twitter. I was obsessed with Fatal Fury way back then. Ergo, I wouldn't mind seeing Terry or another SNK character in Smash. Assuming we are indeed getting an SNK character, I can't say I'm surprised, due to SNK's popularity, and the fact that Capcom and SNK have had crossover titles in the past.

Since Kyo does seem to the face of SNK (correct me if I'm wrong), I do see him as the most likely pick. Having used Kyo in Capcom vs SNK 2, I can see how Kyo would work in Smash.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm rooting for kyo, it's about time he gets in on that sweet crossover action he's been missing out on
Nice, welcome aboard!

Saw this on Twitter. I was obsessed with Fatal Fury way back then. Ergo, I wouldn't mind seeing Terry or another SNK character in Smash. Assuming we are indeed getting an SNK character, I can't say I'm surprised, due to SNK's popularity, and the fact that Capcom and SNK have had crossover titles in the past.

Since Kyo does seem to the face of SNK (correct me if I'm wrong), I do see him as the most likely pick. Having used Kyo in Capcom vs SNK 2, I can see how Kyo would work in Smash.

I'd argue Terry is more of the face of SNK, though Kyo is a very close runnerup and his franchise has been going on for way longer.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You know, I'm glad people are trying to research more about SNK, but everytime I hear "Terry from KOF" or "Mai from KOF", I die a little inside. XD

Let me take that joke and turn it into a worthwhile post. As others said in the past, SNK isn't repeating characters in the games they've had appearances in. This would make Kyo, Nakoruru and Athena the frontrunners. Though if they were ever going to break that "tradition", I feel Terry would be the one to do it.

The thing is, when you take each character's franchise into account... I feel like KOF is by far the most impactful, with Fatal Fury as a very close second. SamSho has the benefit of being SNK's most recent release and also their most recent Switch port. Psycho Soldier (or Athena, if we're talking the OG one) is important when you consider SNK's history, but I feel like it lacks the modern worldwide appeal these days.

So the chances imo are: Kyo > Terry = Nakoruru > Athena > everyone else.

EDIT: There has been a development with Sabi.

She apparently re-confirmed in the Discord server that it wasn't a mistake, before saying that the fighter isn't Marco or a female. I'm still waiting on info, as the image could be fake. But if true then I think this narrows us down to either Kyo or Terry.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
You know, I'm glad people are trying to research more about SNK, but everytime I hear "Terry from KOF" or "Mai from KOF", I die a little inside. XD

Let me take that joke and turn it into a worthwhile post. As others said in the past, SNK isn't repeating characters in the games they've had appearances in. This would make Kyo, Nakoruru and Athena the frontrunners. Though if they were ever going to break that "tradition", I feel Terry would be the one to do it.

The thing is, when you take each character's franchise into account... I feel like KOF is by far the most impactful, with Fatal Fury as a very close second. SamSho has the benefit of being SNK's most recent release and also their most recent Switch port. Psycho Soldier (or Athena, if we're talking the OG one) is important when you consider SNK's history, but I feel like it lacks the modern worldwide appeal these days.

So the chances imo are: Kyo > Terry = Nakoruru > Athena > everyone else.

EDIT: There has been a development with Sabi.

She apparently re-confirmed in the Discord server that it wasn't a mistake, before saying that the fighter isn't Marco or a female. I'm still waiting on info, as the image could be fake. But if true then I think this narrows us down to either Kyo or Terry.
3Bit, that spoiler...

Don't give me hope like that, I'm begging you :cry:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
3Bit, that spoiler...

Don't give me hope like that, I'm begging you :cry:
I did say I was waiting for info. Screencaps can be faked. As of now, it seems there is a lot of confusion in this.

I won't lie though... I feel very confident, even if that one ends up being fake. Maybe more than what would be called healthy.

EDIT: Sabi herself said the DMs were fake on her twitter. So in a sense we're back to square one. Nevertheless, my feelings on Kyo being the most likely haven't changed.

EDIT 2: So apparently Sabi said the content was KOF-related on the Discord server, then deleted her post later. Could have been just her jumping the gun, but otherwise there are only 2 possibilities:

A) Like 90% of the people I've seen today after the leak, she thinks Terry or Mai originate from KOF.

B) Or...

And by the way, this claim that her deleted post was legit is being backed by a few users on the Newcomer thread. Again, take it with a grain of salt, but I... I think our future might be now, people.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I never really visited here but I am a Kyo fan so I would be ecstatic with Kyo in Smash.

I’m hoping for Kyo’s KOF 14 look, it’s actually my favorite of his design.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So while we wait for new info, just saying:

If we get a Spirit battle for Rugal or another big villain, I would love it if not only the damage was increased, but the enemy's startup lag and endlag were mostly (or all) gone, making all their moves chain into one another really fast.

Let us educate the Smash community on the meaning of "SNK boss syndrome". :joyful:

D

Deleted member

So while we wait for new info, just saying:

If we get a Spirit battle for Rugal or another big villain, I would love it if not only the damage was increased, but the enemy's startup lag and endlag were mostly (or all) gone, making all their moves chain into one another really fast.

Let us educate the Smash community on the meaning of "SNK boss syndrome". :joyful:
Hmmm...

Spirit: Rugal Bernstein
Class: Legend
Type: Attack

Fighter: Ridley (their movesets look similar)
Stage: Halberd (Omega form)
Conditions:
- Stamina Battle
- Jump Power is decreased (all fighters)
- You have severely reduced defense
- The enemy's specials have increased power

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm personally thinking it's Terry also, and while I understand Kyo has popularity also, we musn't forget that if it weren't for Fatal Fury, King of Fighters as a whole wouldn't exist. After all, the subtitle for Fatal Fury 1 was King of Fighters and Geese Howard organized it.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Kyo, Terry, Nakoruru. It can only be either of those three.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Went on twitter to check the reactions, and I gotta say... I'm loving the salt.

Casual Smash players on Twitter: "What's an SNK? No one asked for this."

Me: "Holy ****, this is one of the most hype picks for me after Banjo."

Also, can I just mention how "Whining fools begone!" sounds way better than "Hoes mad"? The latter sounds like plain trolling, but with the former, it's like you're erasing the salt-shakers from existence.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well it is something that probably happens with all the characters DLC happened with Joker, happened with hero despite the importance of DQ and to a lesser extent with Banjo & Kazooie

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Went on twitter to check the reactions, and I gotta say... I'm loving the salt.

Casual Smash players on Twitter: "What's an SNK? No one asked for this."

Me: "Holy ****, this is one of the most hype picks for me after Banjo."

Also, can I just mention how "Whining fools begone!" sounds way better than "Hoes mad"? The latter sounds like plain trolling, but with the former, it's like you're erasing the salt-shakers from existence.
These are a few of my favorites:

https://i.redd.it/qt9qjr1vh4k31.jpg
https://i.redd.it/oxd5447az1k31.jpg

You can just feel the entitlement radiating off of that first guy. It's because of ignorant people like this guy that the FGC often tries to disassociate itself from Smash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
These are a few of my favorites:

https://i.redd.it/qt9qjr1vh4k31.jpg
https://i.redd.it/oxd5447az1k31.jpg

You can just feel the entitlement radiating off of that first guy. It's because of ignorant people like this guy that the FGC often tries to disassociate itself from Smash.
The worst part is: you can tell that the majority of the competitive Smash community isn't the one saying these things. But we end up getting a bad rep because of these people. Seriously, sometimes casuals are the worst elitists.

It's like... did I want someone else from Square instead of Hero? Yes. Do you see me disrespecting Dragon Quest and its influence and fanbase because of it? No. I mean, I get it, some of the Trunks/Goku memes are funny, but it was chosen for a good reason and everyone needs to accept that in a ****ing 80+ roster, not all choices will cater to them.

Besides, it got me to play the demo of DQXI (which is fantastic, by the way). I wish more people used third-parties in Smash as a window for trying new games.

Top Bottom