• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ideal Melee Roster Reboot thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Melee Reboot Roster:
Note: any characters cut from Melee are not necessarily because I dislike them, but rather that I wouldn't think of them or decide to include them.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

DK
Diddy

Yoshi

Wario

Kirby
D3

Samus
Ridley

Link
Zelda
GDorf(unique)

Pika
M2
Jiggs

Ness

Marth

Falcon

Pit

Fox

Brawl Roster following the Melee Reboot:
Everyone plus:
Ike, Falco, PT, Lucas, K Rool, Sonic, Megaman, Olimar, Isaac, MK, ROB

SSB4:
Plus:
Impa, Palutena, Shulk, Saki, Villager, Takamaru, Little Mac, Dillon

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly don't think I would even consider retro ideas. I had DHD as my retro but at that time, retro hadn't really been established as a criteria (Smash 64 didn't have any retro). I would have likely just gone for popular characters.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I honestly don't think I would even consider retro ideas. I had DHD as my retro but at that time, retro hadn't really been established as a criteria (Smash 64 didn't have any retro). I would have likely just gone for popular characters.
Smash 64 didn't have any retro because it was a small roster with a low budget. And the generations were close so anything from SNES wasnt retro. By Melee, SNES was retro (I think). Now for 4, SNES is definitely retro and N64 is considered pretty close to retro.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Super Famicom was discontinued in Japan after the N64. Probably only the arcade games could be considered as retro at the time of Smash64

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am just saying Melee was the game that started the retro concept in Smash. If we were in Sakurai's position pre-Melee we may not even think of the idea of adding retro characters or having special desire to add them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
For Melee, I felt like everyone made sense at the time but if I had to make changes...

Dr. Mario out, Wario in. We already had Mario so it made little sense to have another version of him with the prime difference being their wardrobe. I was actually genuinely surprised that Wario wasn't in Melee. Four Wario games and a regular in the Mario spinoff games even back then, Wario got snubbed worse than any character I can think of that should have been in Melee.

Roy out, Diddy Kong. I personally thought that adding a character that didn't even have his own game yet was a cheap move on Nintendo's part. Diddy Kong, on the other hand, already had proven his worth especially with being the only non Mario Nintendo sidekick to star in not just one but several games.

Everyone else was fine. Pichu made sense because Gold and Silver were only about a year old and Young Link made sense because Majora's Mask came out a year earlier.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
For Melee, I felt like everyone made sense at the time but if I had to make changes...

Dr. Mario out, Wario in. We already had Mario so it made little sense to have another version of him with the prime difference being their wardrobe. I was actually genuinely surprised that Wario wasn't in Melee. Four Wario games and a regular in the Mario spinoff games even back then, Wario got snubbed worse than any character I can think of that should have been in Melee.

Roy out, Diddy Kong. I personally thought that adding a character that didn't even have his own game yet was a cheap move on Nintendo's part. Diddy Kong, on the other hand, already had proven his worth especially with being the only non Mario Nintendo sidekick to star in not just one but several games.

Everyone else was fine. Pichu made sense because Gold and Silver were only about a year old and Young Link made sense because Majora's Mask came out a year earlier.
You have to cut two clones for every original character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's right. However, he could still probably make space. Say, making Luigi a full Mario clone like in SSB64, removing Falco (not likely, as only you, R@bid removed Falco up till now ;) ) or doing something else.

Had to bump this.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Your first Smash Bros. game on Nintendo 64 bombed! The people really liked it.
Just so you know, when something bombs it's a bad thing. That means it was a failure.
If you mean it was "the bomb," that would have been accurate. Though that phrase was way out of date even 13 years ago in 2000.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am bumping this cause people are stealing ideas.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Didn't realise there was a topic like this already; okay;

Mario and related series:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Drop Dr. Mario and Young Link: Add Wario
DK
Drop Falco and Pichu: Add Diddy

Zelda:
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Meowth instead of Puff
Mewtwo

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Roy

Earthbound:
Ness

Metroid:
Samus

Starfox:
Fox

F Zero:
Falcon

Kid Icarus:
Remove Sheik: Add Pit.

Ice Climbers:
Ice Climbers!

Game and Watch:
Mr. Game and Watch

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sure you can replace an original character with another original character. No problem. It's just the clones that are tricky, cause they take far less development time. One cannot simply say 'replace Dr.Mario for Wario'. Unless they also make Wario a clone. Melee had a lot of issues with time management, hence why I applied this rule. Check the first post for more information.

Also, Sheik counts as one character. And so do the Ice Cimbers. They also count as original characters, so cutting either would give you a new totally unique character to add to the roster, so in your case, you can keep Pit in expense of either Sheik or Ice Climbers, and keep one of them, or add another original character (taken Ganondorf is still a clone).

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
And of coarse no 4th party characters either
I would also like to pint out that this is the wrong "coarse." This "coarse" means rough, while "of course" means obviously.
I'm going to assume English isn't your first language.

Am bumping this cause people are stealing ideas.
I assume you are referring to Blitznburst's "Redesigning Previous Rosters" topic. While I do agree that it's a similar concept, it's different enough. His is wider in scope while yours is more focused. You topic makes it seem more like what it would have actually been like to design Melee - your rules involving clones and newcomers give a more authentic feel to the game. Blitznburst's game only has to do with the total number of characters, the game is not more complex than that. His game also encompasses all past rosters and has you follow though.

Personally, I think your game is better. It makes things more difficult to you (playing as Sakurai) given a limited amount of time to work on the game. I mean, my Melee roster on his topic had Snake and Ridley (two characters that did not get in do to time constraints). His rules are less realistic - making his more like an ideal roster than a realistic one.

On a related note, I will also do a roster on this topic. It'll just take a bit more time to think about.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ah; Thanks Diddy; that clears things up. Let's keep good ol' Popo and Nana then(sorry Sheik).

Yeah, keeping Dorf as a clone for now. I'll wait for the "Ideal Brawl Roster" topic before altering him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
English is sort of my second language yeah. But thanks for pointing that out. Will probably make me look more intelligent in my posts in the future. :laugh:

And yeah, I added those rules on purpose, otherwise everyone would just say 'remove the clones, add these 6 characters' for the most part. Following through is a nice idea though, and most likely I'll do a Brawl Reboot Thread to if this turns out to be a bigger succes.

Felt doing a Melee reboot would create the most impact. As especially Melee is often criticised for it's roster choices. And the whole clone thing makes throwing things around more interessting. Also, Melee's roster is mostly seen as the roster with the most impact on the series. Characters as Sheik, Ice Cimbers and Mr.Game & Watch are mostly defended from being cut for SSB4 for them being 'two times veterans'. Of coarse, this goes for Ness, C.Falcon and Jigglypuff to, but those have more 'actual fans' I felt.

Anyways, am hoping people will continue putting in effort in creating a rosters.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I love roster speculation, so I'll throw this out there.

:mario2::luigi2::bowser2::peach::yoshi2::dk2::falcon:
:falco::fox::ness2::olimar::kirby2::samus2::link2::zelda::ganondorf:
:pikachu2::jigglypuff: :mewtwomelee: :151::gw: :marth::roymelee:

Assuming that, if I'm Sakurai (but still of my own opinions), then I'm aware of everything he's aware of, and have all the same ideas for characters running around my brain (aka Mr. Game & Watch.. cause I probably wouldn't have thought of him myself, but definitely think he should 100% be there).

I cut :drmario: :younglinkmelee: :pichumelee: :icsmelee::sheikmelee:, in favor of :151: :ganondorf: :olimar:.

I figure having Ganondorf with a true moveset and having the complete triforce characters playable is more important than having Sheik, even if she's super cool. I'm honestly surprised that Sakurai picked her and had Ganondorf be the last minute addition.. although I suppose at that point, Ganondorf wasn't the main villain of the series, in his humanoid form, anyway.

As far as adding Olimar goes.. I figure it's about 1 for 1 with adding a new series needing a stage, music, etc., to replace the Ice Climbers. I like the Ice Climbers but they never would've been my pick, even if they are unique. Olimar would be just as unique, and if we're throwing in Roy as a bit of advertisement, why not Olimar for his upcoming game, too... and this character was created by Miyamoto.

At the time of Melee's development, Mew was one of the most requested characters, up there with Mewtwo, on Sakurai's polls. It's often neglected how important he is to the series, too. Mew's inclusion in the original games as a gag by the developer's spawned a crazy amount of fan attention and sales for the game, as well as the distribution tradition that continues to this day. I put him in there with his own moveset.

I guess that leaves me with an extra spot for a clone.. so if I had to pick one, I'd put Wario as a Mario clone, but I'm in agreement with Sakurai that that just wouldn't have seemed right. So, oh well.. no need. More development time for other things, such as a Fire Emblem stage.

That leaves only two clone characters, Falco and Roy. Falco stays in because of popularity, and Roy stays because he helps open the door for Fire Emblem in the West. Diddy Kong or Ridley or Dedede would be great, too, but Pokemon is Nintendo's shining star, here.. so I would give the attention to it.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I love roster speculation, so I'll throw this out there.

:mario2::luigi2::bowser2::peach::yoshi2::dk2::falcon:
:falco::fox::ness2::olimar::kirby2::samus2::link2::zelda::ganondorf:
:pikachu2::jigglypuff: :mewtwomelee: :151::gw: :marth::roymelee:

Assuming that, if I'm Sakurai (but still of my own opinions), then I'm aware of everything he's aware of, and have all the same ideas for characters running around my brain (aka Mr. Game & Watch.. cause I probably wouldn't have thought of him myself, but definitely think he should 100% be there).

I cut :drmario: :younglinkmelee: :pichumelee: :icsmelee::sheikmelee:, in favor of :151: :ganondorf: :olimar:.

I figure having Ganondorf with a true moveset and having the complete triforce characters playable is more important than having Sheik, even if she's super cool. I'm honestly surprised that Sakurai picked her and had Ganondorf be the last minute addition.. although I suppose at that point, Ganondorf wasn't the main villain of the series, in his humanoid form, anyway.

As far as adding Olimar goes.. I figure it's about 1 for 1 with adding a new series needing a stage, music, etc., to replace the Ice Climbers. I like the Ice Climbers but they never would've been my pick, even if they are unique. Olimar would be just as unique, and if we're throwing in Roy as a bit of advertisement, why not Olimar for his upcoming game, too... and this character was created by Miyamoto.

At the time of Melee's development, Mew was one of the most requested characters, up there with Mewtwo, on Sakurai's polls. It's often neglected how important he is to the series, too. Mew's inclusion in the original games as a gag by the developer's spawned a crazy amount of fan attention and sales for the game, as well as the distribution tradition that continues to this day. I put him in there with his own moveset.

I guess that leaves me with an extra spot for a clone.. so if I had to pick one, I'd put Wario as a Mario clone, but I'm in agreement with Sakurai that that just wouldn't have seemed right. So, oh well.. no need. More development time for other things, such as a Fire Emblem stage.

That leaves only two clone characters, Falco and Roy. Falco stays in because of popularity, and Roy stays because he helps open the door for Fire Emblem in the West. Diddy Kong or Ridley or Dedede would be great, too, but Pokemon is Nintendo's shining star, here.. so I would give the attention to it.
my only problem with Olimar is that he wasnt really around for Melees development. but i guess it wouldnt have been that impossible

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well you could throw a freebie in by making a Mewtwo clone hilarious as it might be. The remaining spot could go to a character of your choice. But honestly, the Pokémon ideas thrown around in this thread are quite good so far.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well...now that you mentioned it

- Cut Doc and Y. Link for King Dedede
- Cut Zelda for Diddy
- Cut Roy and Pichu for Charizard
- Cut Game and Watch for Little Mac

As much as I'd like to switch Ganondorf's moves, keep him where he's at now and get a move tweak for Brawl. Him, Falco, and Luigi will be the clones of Melee. I really want to replace Jigglypuff with someone like Meowth instead.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

Changes:
- The Dorf and Pichu are cut for Heracross (one of the more popular 2nd Gen Pokemon - A suitable choice for a fighter and rep). Heracross would have a very grapple heavy game, with some hard hits in the form of his horns yet have pretty good recovery.
- Dr. Mario and Falco are cut for Ridley (I mean Ridley's in melee's opening video - sort of a jip he wasn't in the game).
- Roy and Young Link are cut for Pit (a much better addition to the Melee roster, in my opinion).
- Game and Watch cut for Saki (a much more awesome retro rep).

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Saki isn't even retro now. The continuance of his series because of Star Successor makes his series not retro.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Saki? Retro?
Arguably now, maybe, If thirteen years is enough to consider something retro. But Sin and Punishment came out in 2000. Melee was released in 2001.
Oh, I actually cut Game And Watch for Pit. And just forgot that when I wrote "Roy and Young Link are cut for Pit (a much better addition to the Melee roster, in my opinion)." I was still thinking of Pit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom