• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ideal "4.0"

MattNF

Smash Lord
A mix of Smash64, Melee, and Brawl sound effects for hits and attacks. The electrical-sound effects from Brawl hits are just so cringeworthy and don't feel like they have any power.

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
I find it most evident with Cfalcon. He feels WAY more fluid in Melee. I've played PM pretty much exclusively for the past year and a half, and I broke out cfalon in melee the other day. It felt so natural in a way PM falcon never feels.
Yeah, I main Falcon in melee and I agree, something about him in PM just feels papery... Also, I used to main falco, and he feels a lot heavier in PM.

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Can we fix Toon Links UpB Please?! I swear he falls faster than Link when using his spin attack and hes supposedly way more floaty. He used to be my main in Brawl and now i cant even bare to even slide my cursor over him hes so bad. So i would like to see a buff in him.
Roy, i would like to see him become a little bit more floaty? he just falls so quickly and dies so much quicker to Marth. its Kinda unfair to him how much worse he is compared to Marth.
I would like to see Falco's SHDouble Lazer come back from brawl because the was an amazing add to him and probably a big part of Brawl players game when they used him.

I know this kinda seems like a "THIS IS NOTHING LIKE BRAWL BLARG BUFF MY CHARACTER BLARG!"
But I loved Melee and i still prefer to play it over brawl but if feel as tho these would help these "low tiers" (besides Falco) into better game play.

Fortress

Smash Master
Can we fix Toon Links UpB Please?! I swear he falls faster than Link when using his spin attack and hes supposedly way more floaty.
Tink was adjusted to fall like this by design, I'm pretty sure. If you're utilizing AGT and Tink's bomb recovery (it's very doable, though tougher than Link's), along with his tether, then you should get more mileage than you would should you use just up-special.

Roy, i would like to see him become a little bit more floaty? he just falls so quickly and dies so much quicker to Marth.
Fairly certain that Roy's air speed is part of what makes his superior aerial game so tight and quick. He's a brick off-stage, and he's got a very Melee-esque recovery, but the dude's on-stage combo and kill options through his aerials string together nicely since he can get from A to B because of his speed.

Last edited:

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I read some stuff and idk it's all been said but I'll say it anyway. (actually I bet I'll say new stuff)
- All stages from past games, even though it seems like it'd be impossible
- Poke Stadium moved to page 2 because it is T O T A L T R A S H
- New announcer
- Ness buff.
- God-like DK
- At least one costume for everyone except obviously Wario. Especially ones for
- Roy (Awakening)
- Samus (We all know)
- Marth (Awakening
- Ike (Vanguard)
- No 1 frame delay
- ****ing fix Tink. If they're afraid the bomb jump or AGT coupled with an already good recovery is too OP then just make them not possible.
- Sell your souls to find a way to add more songs.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Few of the things I'd like to see, if at all possible:

• PM menus, instead of the Kirby Air Ride-esque ones of vBrawl, to solidify PM as its own entity visually (don't even know if this is feasible)
  • Some kind of official PM CSS, for the above reasons of further-establishing PM's visual identity
  • PM's own unique menu theme, again, for the sake of the game's identity, DJ'd by the PMBR
  • Make tourney-mode a little better? Can't say I know anybody who uses it, since there are better generators online, but it could be handy for casuals. Don't even know what 'better' entails, really.
Just janky pipe-dream stuff, really.

- New announcer
Oh, that's one I should've mentioned. I can see something like the entirety of the PMBR announcing everything at the same time. Just hear all of their voices stacked on one another or something, I dunno. PM announcer would be neat.

Last edited:

5ully

Smash Ace
NNID
5ully151
3DS FC
0920-2807-1002
Tink was adjusted to fall like this by design, I'm pretty sure. If you're utilizing AGT and Tink's bomb recovery (it's very doable, though tougher than Link's), along with his tether, then you should get more mileage than you would should you use just up-special. But even with the bomb recovery he still lacks in the recover area. i even miss his Nair (which i believe was far superior than the kick) But I i dont know why they would nerf him so hard.

Fairly certain that Roy's air speed is part of what makes his superior aerial game so tight and quick. He's a brick off-stage, and he's got a very Melee-esque recovery, but the dude's on-stage combo and kill options through his aerials string together nicely since he can get from A to B because of his speed.
Yes i agree with you his on stage game is immaculate. But when you miss a L-Cancel dude is a sitting duck and can be comboed forever. Maybe just buff his UpB.

Fortress

Smash Master
Yes i agree with you his on stage game is immaculate. But when you miss a L-Cancel dude is a sitting duck and can be comboed forever. Maybe just buff his UpB.
I'm really thoroughly confused as to what you're saying this in regard to due to the portion of what you quoted was highlighted, so I don't know how to respond. Sounds like you're talking about Roy and his aerials, and yes, they have some high lag, but L-cancelling isn't that difficult.

As for Tink (whom I can only assume you were talking about when you said 'just buff his up-B'), he's got more than just that to rely on for recovering.

Belsophos

Smash Rookie
Termina bay - I wish
Win tracking - having wins visible on screen
More characters - anybodies cool
Change the sound to more melee esque sounds - shiek, falcon, Jiggs all sound so weak and paper like
Buff Toon Link, Ness, Jiggs, and olimar.
Olimar - needs more pikman just seems really shorthanded
Toon link - fix the Fsmash, it can hit behind him,also his neutral A combo has way too much advantage on block its cracy. Buff his Up special and make his fall speed between samus and Jiggs.
Ness - idk just needs a buff on something
Jiggs - her air attacks need a little better recovery even with l-canceling enemies still have the advantage and she takes a hit.

Last edited:

schavira

Smash Journeyman
- Complete implementation Melee sound effects/announcer/music
- Removal of desaturation from every character (using something akin to the Smash Bros. 3 mod)

- Updated and balanced final smashes for every character
- Return of Melee Pokémon
- Removal of stickers from Battle
- Return of cut stages (particularly Yoshi's Island and Green Greens)
- Accurate recreations of remaining Melee/N64 stages
- Deletion of Skyloft (considering it lags and is in SSB4)
- Young Link as an alternate costume for Toon Link
- Pichu (with extreme buffs and a play style that makes him distinct from Pikachu)
- Waluigi/Ridley/Knuckles/Tails/Isaac/Daisy/whoever does not make it into SSB4 are playable
- Functional Classic/Adventure modes
- New trophies for new characters, return of Melee trophies (all unlocked by default)
- Melee Zelda/Ganondorf/etc. costumes
- A completely redesigned Yoshi with a brighter green hue, smaller cheeks and a move set akin of that of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (complete with targeted egg throwing and better recovery)
- Sword Ganondorf
- Mario can access FLUDD using a taunt
- Special mode that disables the Melee-esque advanced technique/'exploits' that were removed from Brawl (wavedashing/etc.) so tournament-style players can still have fun with their casual friends
- Kirby's Down-B can send opponents flying again (nerf his hammer if you have to)
- Sonic redesigned to look more like classic Sonic
- Melee costumes for certain characters (Fox in particular) made default
- Blonde Zelda made default
- Return of deleted items (eggs, red shells, etc)
- Melee menus
- New intro FMV (not made from gameplay footage like Brawl's but completely original, like Melee's; in fact I wouldn't mind just using Melee's movie)
- Removal of "Stage" indicator on Pokémon Stadium 2 (considering it does not transform)
- HD graphics for the Dolphin users
- Only one type of crate/barrel (the original)
- Tournament style stages on page one, party/casual stages on page two (with the original WarioWare restored)
- Organization of Stages by franchise/game they first appeared (Melee stages grouped together, N64 stages in a row)
- Melee Battlefield (as a new stage, not over Brawl Battlefield)
- Give Pikachu a new battle intro (considering he refused to exist in a Pokéball in much of the media)
- Sonic's voice completely removed
- Eliminating the possibility that Metal Caverns loads Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 Underground (as it frequently plays that music instead of the N64 battle theme)
- This character select layout (with Ditto as Random) -

Last edited:

Sterowent

Smash Ace
MORE COMPLEX GAMEPLAY MECHANICS! that'd be at the least 4.0a. tone down the overly strong crouch canceling, tighten windows for combos, break down some of the strong recoveries and install mixups, like with DDD and sonic. move away from ivy's.
p:M is a great game and all, but right now a lot of the time everything can be summed up by comparing melee link with p:M link. he's definitely better but in the same vein easier. i want to feel cool when i combo with him instead of gaining percent with uptilt and killing with strong ftilt. think dtilt, bomb combos, boomerang interference, i want to involve technique.
watch a match between a sheik and a fox. their stocks won't last long, but it's not just combos; many factors come into play, such as recoveries you can intercept and close out within the same relative window, or crouch canceling that doesn't last within the mid and young late percents, even predicting the flow of your opponent because their options are similar to yours and yet different. i want all of this throughout the game. except sheik's combos, those are often lame unless it's kirbykaze.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
MORE COMPLEX GAMEPLAY MECHANICS! that'd be at the least 4.0a. tone down the overly strong crouch canceling, tighten windows for combos, break down some of the strong recoveries and install mixups, like with DDD and sonic. move away from ivy's.
p:M is a great game and all, but right now a lot of the time everything can be summed up by comparing melee link with p:M link. he's definitely better but in the same vein easier. i want to feel cool when i combo with him instead of gaining percent with uptilt and killing with strong ftilt. think dtilt, bomb combos, boomerang interference, i want to involve technique.
watch a match between a sheik and a fox. their stocks won't last long, but it's not just combos; many factors come into play, such as recoveries you can intercept and close out within the same relative window, or crouch canceling that doesn't last within the mid and young late percents, even predicting the flow of your opponent because their options are similar to yours and yet different. i want all of this throughout the game. except sheik's combos, those are often lame unless it's kirbykaze.
Smashboards desperately needs a dislike button, Project M's already very technical, why would you want combos to be harder? This goes againist the very philosophy of good game design! Project M's probably the Smash game that strikes the best balance between technique and strategical skill (Although I'm pretty sure Smash4 will surpass it)...why would you want to harm the game with more unnecessary barriers?

A mix of Smash64, Melee, and Brawl sound effects for hits and attacks. The electrical-sound effects from Brawl hits are just so cringeworthy and don't feel like they have any power.
I personally loved the electric effects on Brawl hits, although I must admit that black-red energy-effect when you hit someone on Smash 4 looks BADASS. I hope it comes with a slashing sound, a-la old Samurai movie.

For me, the perfect 4.0 would have Squirtle's Squirtle Gang costume (The glasses), a slight buff to Pit's terrible Up+B, Mario and Luigi's fireballs being a bit faster and the removal of Saffron City, replacing it with a balanced Spear Pillar, an actually-memorable location from the Pokemon series. Also, I know that it probably won't happen, but the reduction of overall landing lag to eliminate L-Cancel would make Project M the definitive Smash game, L-Cancel only takes away from the game's actual depth and encourages shallow, 'for the sake of being hard' technical barriers. More third-party stages would also be pretty nice, and maybe alternate costumes for Samus that are more than color swaps? Light Suit, Dark Suit, PED? I dunno, mostly even more alternate costumes and the removal of L-Cancel would make it the perfect Smash game.

Last edited:

JustTheTip

Smash Rookie
1. Nerfed Pichu.
2. Melee SFX built in instead of being downloadable (Brawl's SFX suck).
3. Balanced roster.
4. More stages.
5. Clones differentiated further from their original counterparts (more unique Roy, Falco, Luigi, etc.).

And possibly a few more "modes" for Special Brawl like somebody else said.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Why not just remove Sonic altogether? :upsidedown:
Great idea. While we are at it, lets remove DK, Diddy, Bowser, Yoshi, Fox, Falco, Wolf, King Dedede, and all the Pokemon. That should rid us of the furries.

Oh, and lets not forget the anime stereotypes, Marth, Roy, Ike, Pit, Captain Falcon, Samus, ZSS, Snake, Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Sheik.

Ahh, but that leaves us with the cartoon type characters. Better ditch Mario, Luigi, Wario, Peach, Kirby, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, Toon Link, Olimar, Mr.G&W, Ness, and Lucas.

Man, what a clean roster. Now everyone can play as their favorite character. R.O.B.

JustTheTip

Smash Rookie
Great idea. While we are at it, lets remove DK, Diddy, Bowser, Yoshi, Fox, Falco, Wolf, King Dedede, and all the Pokemon. That should rid us of the furries.

Oh, and lets not forget the anime stereotypes, Marth, Roy, Ike, Pit, Captain Falcon, Samus, ZSS, Snake, Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, and Sheik.

Ahh, but that leaves us with the cartoon type characters. Better ditch Mario, Luigi, Wario, Peach, Kirby, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, Toon Link, Olimar, Mr.G&W, Ness, and Lucas.

Man, what a clean roster. Now everyone can play as their favorite character. R.O.B.
Maybe if our roster didn't include other characters. You forgot Mewtwo and a few others. Nice try, though, I guess.
Anyway, I don't think you understand what I dislike about Sonic. It's not just the fandom. The fandom wouldn't effect my choice of characters to play.
He has arguably the most bland moveset and is one of the most boring characters in Smash.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Maybe if our roster didn't include other characters. You forgot Mewtwo and a few others. Nice try, though, I guess.
...and all the Pokemon....
I'm pretty sure I didn't neglect a soul.

Anyway, I don't think you understand what I dislike about Sonic. It's not just the fandom. The fandom wouldn't effect my choice of characters to play.
He has arguably the most bland moveset and is one of the most boring characters in Smash.
That is merely an opinion. The only things I see that need changed are his Side-B and continuous nerfs. Sonic is the most inconsistent character on the roster to play as, because he rides the nerf train every single version.

JustTheTip

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure I didn't neglect a soul.

That is merely an opinion. The only things I see that need changed are his Side-B and continuous nerfs. Sonic is the most inconsistent character on the roster to play as, because he rides the nerf train every single version.
Missed that Pokemon part.
Anyway, I know a lot of people agree on Sonic being the most boring character in the game aside from R.O.B. and whatever. Even if you ignore the animations being the same, 3 of his Specials do essentially the same thing in different directions.
And it's not even that I have anything against third-party characters, it's just that they seem to have really wanted Sonic in the game so bad that they put him in without thinking about it. Snake on the other hand is really unique, and I like him despite never playing a MGS game for more than a few minutes. I was hoping that Project M would make him more interesting and they haven't really done that as of yet, in my humble opinion.
Banjo would've been amazing to have in Smash, and I feel that the character slot is lost on Sonic.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Missed that Pokemon part.
Anyway, I know a lot of people agree on Sonic being the most boring character in the game aside from R.O.B. and whatever. Even if you ignore the animations being the same, 3 of his Specials do essentially the same thing in different directions.
And it's not even that I have anything against third-party characters, it's just that they seem to have really wanted Sonic in the game so bad that they put him in without thinking about it. Snake on the other hand is really unique, and I like him despite never playing a MGS game for more than a few minutes. I was hoping that Project M would make him more interesting and they haven't really done that as of yet, in my humble opinion.
Banjo would've been amazing to have in Smash, and I feel that the character slot is lost on Sonic.
I can agree with this to some extent. I honestly find Sonic to be lazy fan service, but not a waste of a slot. He is the right character, just the wrong moveset. If they could return Sonic's Wave-Dash out of Spin-Dash and replace his N-Air and Side-B, I would be completely satisfied with the character.

JustTheTip

Smash Rookie
I can agree with this to some extent. I honestly find Sonic to be lazy fan service, but not a waste of a slot. He is the right character, just the wrong moveset. If they could return Sonic's Wave-Dash out of Spin-Dash and replace his N-Air and Side-B, I would be completely satisfied with the character.
I never really got into Sonic other than Sonic 2 or whatever when it came out, but from what I hear there's loads of material about the character and surely somebody could have thought of a more varied moveset along the line.
Right? Am I crazy? I just took a minute to Google his powers and he has loads. But they went with "spin this way" and "spin that way".
Nintendo stumps me sometimes.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I never really got into Sonic other than Sonic 2 or whatever when it came out, but from what I hear there's loads of material about the character and surely somebody could have thought of a more varied moveset along the line.
Right? Am I crazy? I just took a minute to Google his powers and he has loads. But they went with "spin this way" and "spin that way".
Nintendo stumps me sometimes.
Right. I'm actually a huge Sonic fan, so I can agree with this. It feels like they didn't try hard enough on his moves and got the Ganondorf treatment.

Fortress

Smash Master
Right. I'm actually a huge Sonic fan, so I can agree with this. It feels like they didn't try hard enough on his moves and got the Ganondorf treatment.
Except Ganondorf is good. So, Sonic bombed pretty hard in that department of the treatment. Nerf city.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Except Ganondorf is good. So, Sonic bombed pretty hard in that department of the treatment. Nerf city.
I was referring to vanilla Brawl in that statement. It is almost like Sonic got a last minute moveset like Ganondorf did in Melee. Rather that was a good or bad thing for Ganondorf, it most certainly didn't work for Sonic.

Though PMBR could seriously loosen up on those Sonic nerfs, and touch up some of his moves.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Wow. Wake up call from the internet. Forgot that people can't read sarcasm that well.
Sarcasm or no, you aren't helping your case with how confrontational you are being(as above, ^^^^^).
Take it from me; know when to fold, and when NOT to react negatively. You'll avoid undue stress that way!

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Smash64's hype crowd. Melee's electric SFX.

A taunt moveset change for G&W, Falco, MK, Sonic, Tink to their brawl version. (l know l missed a few)

DK air down B (barrel toss)

Fox's 64 Fair. #DealWithlt

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
More Melee SFX for characters like Fox and Falco attacks, Samus robot SFX, Marth up-b UUUAAAAHHH and neutral-b IIIIYYYYYAAAAHH.
Awakening Roy.
Any alt. costume for Samus without metallic bulge.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Sarcasm or no, you aren't helping your case with how confrontational you are being(as above, ^^^^^).
Take it from me; know when to fold, and when NOT to react negatively. You'll avoid undue stress that way!
Who is being negative?

For you, it was negativity. For me, it was around 4 - 5 a.m.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Hmmm... a few more alt costumes/colors would be great, especially for Ganondorf (Ocarina of Time ver.)
A few minor buffs for the characters that are still lacking that "something," like, Pit, KING Dedede, DK, Sonic, etc. As of yet, they just don't have that complete feel that some of the other characters like the spacies, Marth, Mewtwo, Mario, and others have.
Aside from that, what more could we ask for? A Lucas or Ivy nerf?

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Alright, that was fun.
On-topic, we are on 3.2.
More accurate title would have v3.5 or so IMO lol

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Alright, that was fun.
On-topic, we are on 3.2.
More accurate title would have v3.5 or so IMO lol
Also I did want to apologize, I actually did screw up my explanation.

The way I made it sound like was that Ganondorf was garbage, when what I was trying to say is that he ended up having the same problem as Sonic, being one of the last characters developed for the game he was introduced in. There was something about time constraints that prevented the characters from receiving fleshed out movesets. Ganondorf ended up a clone, but Sonic.....yeah. I'm not sure how Ganondorf fans sit on how he plays in Melee or P:M, but I certainly think that Sonic could use "something" in P:M. That is just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

Also Mech, you run Thormammu Skrull? How well does the synergy on that team work?

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Also I did want to apologize, I actually did screw up my explanation.
Also Mech, you run Thormammu Skrull? How well does the synergy on that team work?
I know to give people the benefit of the doubt by now, mostly they just word stuff badly, and I know better from personal experience lol

As for my Marvel 3 team, it depends somewhat on order; but I'm only limited by my imagination overall, no matter who is on point. Neutral is effortless to be solid at too, lol. I just have consistency as a work in progress in-game and out(for life/other stuff).

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I know to give people the benefit of the doubt by now, mostly they just word stuff badly, and I know better from personal experience lol

As for my Marvel 3 team, it depends somewhat on order; but I'm only limited by my imagination overall, no matter who is on point. Neutral is effortless to be solid at too, lol. I just have consistency as a work in progress in-game and out(for life/other stuff).
Like I said, it was early. Kickstarts, Pizza, and between 4-5 a.m. with no sleep on a bad day. Yuck.

The reason I asked is because that is actually quite a strange team. I like the Thormammu, but Skrull sounds like he would be sour note on that team. Not that you couldn't make it work. I'm still building up on my team as it stands. I run Spider-Man, Hsien-Ko, and third is up in the air between Zero, Trish, Hawkeye, Vergil, Felicia, Amaterasu, or X-23.

Top Bottom