• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "I was wrong" thread

Xigger

Smash Lord
After all these newcomers, I honestly don't know who to expect, but Persona wasn't one of my top guesses. Who else was wrong?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I thought we were getting Arle, and that we wouldn't get a character at the VGA's anymore.

I never saw it coming.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
not gonna lie

he was always a crack pick for me

AND THEN HE MADE IT

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I can say that I for one never saw it coming. I'm honesty glad that Joker is joining the battle but I'm actually worried about what Reggie said about the DLC Newcomers. Like, I hope he ain't meaning that they're all 3rd Parties. Can atleast one of them be a Nintendo Character (excluding a possible Geno). Please Nintendo :sadeyes:!

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I denied the idea of Joker getting in because that was the name of Batman's most famous archenemy and there could be trademark issues with Amiibo. But, we already have a Robin. Is there any other video game character with the same name as a comic book character that could get into Smash? What? There's a Marvel character named Starfox? Wow.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I honestly expected nothing from the Game Awards (I actually shut it off during a “commercial” break), let alone a Smash announcement.

Boy was I wrong.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
it’s technically cloud all over again and i suppose that’s a good thing

in the near future we might be getting a persona 5 port on a nintendo console like how the original ffvii is coming to switch sometime soon

TapW

Smash Rookie
I feel like most people here figured that if any Atlus character would get in, than it would be Jack Frost, so that was quite a turn.
It's cool, though. I enjoyed Persona 5.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Never saw him coming.

I mean I have a vague idea of what Persona is, but I never expected it to be a priority for Smash. Either way I don't mind his inclusion.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Welp, I can say that I for one never saw it coming. I'm honesty glad that Joker is joining the battle but I'm actually worried about what Reggie said about the DLC Newcomers. Like, I hope he ain't meaning that they're all 3rd Parties. Can atleast one of them be a Nintendo Character (excluding a possible Geno). Please Nintendo :sadeyes:!
Ditto. It sounds like Reggie's hinting at third parties, or more extreme character choices

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I thought Atlus was likely for a rep, but I expected Jack Frost if it happened. I'm not familiar with Persona but I'm interested in trying it out and will be getting Joker.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I think I speak for almost everyone in that I never saw this coming.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Didn't see him coming and not sure how I feel about this super anime generic looking guy getting in to be honest.

On first impression, he'd be better off in a Dragonball, Heroes of whatever, Bleach, or Naruto game looks wise.

I didn't buy the pass (cause didn't see how/if you could for physical copy buyers), but I likely still will and may grow to like him.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Has Joker ever made an appearance on a Nintendo console? The Persona series seems to be Playstation exclusive. Oh, Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth was on 3DS and was the only other appearance of Joker? And the two Persona Q2 games are the only Persona games on a Nintendo system? Wow, Joker's even less relevant to Nintendo than Cloud. At least Final Fantasy had a dozen Nintendo games and had even crossed over with Mario in sports games. But Persona has no ties to Nintendo outside of Q2? Yep, it looks like anyone can get into Smash these days. I'm still waiting for Goku.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
I never would of considering anything from Persona at all.
But I'm really happy to see him in since I've kept hearing great things about Persona 5. (A game with style and substance)

Overall, my reaction for that trailer was: "OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG OM- I didn't play that game but OMFG OMFG!!!!!"

Welcome to the roster Joker!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Even the ****ing supporters were wrong

We wanted it but do you really think any of us really thought it'd happen?

The last big conversation in that thread was about how his chances were shot and some dude coming in trying to run us down just for us to say "yeah we know dude"

And yet

AND YET

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I came to comment on the Game Awards reveal as soon as it happened, only to unsurprisingly see SmashBoards had DDoS'd.

I indeed never saw it coming. A Persona protagonist was definitely not my first choice for a potential DLC character, as both acquiring the rights and designing a moveset must've been a godawful chore, and yet here we are and I am very interested in what they're going to do with the character. If this is how far Nintendo is willing to reach for the DLC, then my Season Pass purchase already feels worth it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I certainly wasn't expecting Persona content.

Joker goes right there next to Bayonetta in terms of "Third Party character that's not actually a video game icon".

StormC

Smash Hero
not gonna lie

he was always a crack pick for me

AND THEN HE MADE IT
I'm happy for you, man.

I always kinda considered Joker a minute possibility, at least if we were getting an SMT character, but it was still really freaking crazy.

At this rate we might get like... Dante.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I'm more excited because maybe this means that Persona 5 is coming for the Switch. Let's hope.

Gildiss

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9270-5127
Didn't expect Joker. Congrats! Who going to main Joker? I won't because I'm not interested in him.

Last edited:

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I didn't expect it.
Someone predicted it on a discord server I use, I was curious as to why, they said it was just a feeling.
I'm happy they were right, I love Persona 5.
Can't wait to get the DLC.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
He was not impossible, but I never thought his chances were that good.
I 'm super stoked for Joker, I liked my time with Persona 5.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I never expected him, but I never said he had no chance either. I feel this sort of messes with my predictions, and I kind of like that. My only hope is that two of my predictions come true, being Bandana Dee and Rayman. Otherwise get the Square Enix Dragon Quest stuff out of here and I hope for more crazy 3rd party over another Pokémon or FE character.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Has Joker ever made an appearance on a Nintendo console? The Persona series seems to be Playstation exclusive. Oh, Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth was on 3DS and was the only other appearance of Joker? And the two Persona Q2 games are the only Persona games on a Nintendo system? Wow, Joker's even less relevant to Nintendo than Cloud. At least Final Fantasy had a dozen Nintendo games and had even crossed over with Mario in sports games. But Persona has no ties to Nintendo outside of Q2? Yep, it looks like anyone can get into Smash these days. I'm still waiting for Goku.
Doesn't the SMT series have a ton of representation on Nintendo consoles? If we look at Joker not as a Persona rep but the poster boy for all SMT games it makes sense in the same way Cloud did.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yep, it looks like anyone can get into Smash these days. I'm still waiting for Goku.
I hope Goku will get in Smash because then it would finally invalidate the “no anime characters” argument against Team Rocket Meowth and Captain N.

I'm more excited because maybe this means that Persona 5 is coming for the Switch. Let's hope.
I hope so too! Never played Persona 5 and I don’t feel like getting it for PS4 even though I have PS4. I just want to have more games for Switch. That, and sometimes I play Switch games and watch Netflix/Hulu on PS4 at the same time.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Since Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of characters to choose from, I assumed they would all be first-party. Turns out that was a bad assumption. At any rate, Joker's reveal does rekindle mine hopes for 2B, Sora, and Gunvolt.

I've always been interested in the Persona series, but never managed to get into it, due to never owning a Playstation console. That said, if any of the Persona games get ported to the Switch, I'll definitely invest in them.

I sincerely look forward to seeing how Joker plays. He seems like someone whom relies more on stealth and trickery than brute force--which I like.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
They got tired of people asking for no more anime swordfighters, so they just gave us an anime character instead xD

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
We now live in an age where Master Chief is possible.

Never expected Joker. Going to take me a while to accept him.
I haven't played Persona yet, but I was pretty pumped about it. I accepted it the moment I read it. My friends and I often joke about the series calling it a "high school JRPG JoJo", but the music in it is great, and to have that music, as well as a character who is somewhat like a Stand user, in Smash, is pretty awesome, I think.
Sakurai did say the menus of Ultimate are inspired by Persona 5.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator

Translation:
Me: Wth, never in a million years (Joker from Persona 5)
A friend: Are these troll videos? Srsly he (BillyBo10k on Youtube, who made the "Rate their chances" videos) can't mean it.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, we know that it's still only video game characters. Goku's not happening.
The more people say Goku can't be in, you just increase his chances of getting in. Just look at Ridley, Cloud and Bayonetta. So many people keep saying they won't be in Smash, but here they are. At this time, it seems like everyone's qualified to join Smash.

Top Bottom