• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The Hero of the Wild - Smash Ultimate Link Metagame Thread

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I was told to share my video here by someone in the ultimate media section.
https://imgur.com/4cC6KNU

I played Link for 2 weeks because for some reason, I just like how he plays the footsies. I'm sort of new to Ultimate, and I want to get really good and compete. My niche in this game is 100% FOR SURE edge guarding, and I am trying to improve my neutral and punish game more and more as the days go by. This is 2 weeks of Link, and how far I progressed. I hope some of you could maybe learn a thing or two from my video about Link and maybe even use some of the stuff yourself. If you like the video, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate it very much if you click the like button, or left a comment or even subscribed. I'm on a rampaging mission to become a content creator for the smash ultimate community and it is my first video. I plan to do more Link videos and explore his technical areas more often. Any advice is also very welcome! ♥

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
I was told to share my video here by someone in the ultimate media section.
https://imgur.com/4cC6KNU

I played Link for 2 weeks because for some reason, I just like how he plays the footsies. I'm sort of new to Ultimate, and I want to get really good and compete. My niche in this game is 100% FOR SURE edge guarding, and I am trying to improve my neutral and punish game more and more as the days go by. This is 2 weeks of Link, and how far I progressed. I hope some of you could maybe learn a thing or two from my video about Link and maybe even use some of the stuff yourself. If you like the video, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate it very much if you click the like button, or left a comment or even subscribed. I'm on a rampaging mission to become a content creator for the smash ultimate community and it is my first video. I plan to do more Link videos and explore his technical areas more often. Any advice is also very welcome! ♥

awesome vid keep it up!

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
My only take is Link is nowhere near OP and saying stuff like that could invoke the nerfhammer.

Also I'd be interested in seeing a full few games rather than just your best kills. Although it did give me some good pointers, so definitely keep it up.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Any real usefulness? Like I am not sure how this could be applied in a match.
If you happen to have the bomb end up sitting at the ledge during this glitch then it can be used as a good 2-frame option.
Overall, think of this glitch as if Link's bomb has suddenly become a lot like Snake's C4 but with a bigger explosion since neither you or the opponent can re-position the bomb's placement during this glitch

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Link's D-throw follow-ups
--------------------
Work in progress. Eventually I'd like to get it looking as good as the d-throw follow-up post I made for smash 4 Link (quoted in here https://smashboards.com/threads/lin...rmative-quotes-can-be-found-in-the-op.379659/).
I've been treating this as a side-project due to the sheer amount of characters there are. Because it was taking a while I decided to release the information in batches to at least give you all something to work with in the mean time.
If there's a character you need to know the information for sooner rather than later, let me know.

If you want to get an idea of how other characters might look compared to the ones listed below before I release the next batch, (in rough order of importance) note that it's more useful if the character:
- has no special move to help them escape,
- has a bad first airdodge invulnerability frame,
- is heavy,
- has a DJ that moves them slowly and doesn't shift their hurtbox up at least initially, and/or
- has a large hurtbox.

Please note!
Against most characters an Uair follow-up can always simply be avoided by DIing the D-throw away, but I thought it was an important follow-up to list regardless, so where it would otherwise work I've included it in brackets.
With Aerial Spin Attack ('ASA') follow-ups I'll be assuming you are reversing it or jumping toward them when necessary to follow DI. In most cases it will be your best follow-up but will also require you to be frame perfect; typically you're looking at needing to use it on airborne frame 1, 2 or 3 depending on their percent with little to no room for error in some cases.
To help with learning the timing for ASA and the FH aerial follow-ups, this might be helpful https://twitter.com/FoxIsOD/status/1097817831993835520
Also note that Reverse U-tilt can be done frame perfectly by angling the tilt-stick just above the diagonal notch (no need to use the joystick to turn around).
--------------------

Mario
0% Depending on DI, Reverse U-tilt (or U-tilt), SH Nair (or Bair).
20% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
30% SH Nair/Bair can miss so use FH Nair/Bair. U-tilts can be avoided by DIing away.
40% U-tilts no longer work.
60% FH Nair/Bair no longer works so use DJ Nair/Bair
70% (FH Uair can work if Mario doesn't DI away)
80% DJ Nair/Bair no longer works
90% ASA will stop working.
100% (you will need to DJ Uair assuming Mario doesn't DI away still)
110% (DJ Uair no longer works)

Donkey Kong
0% U-smash will work unless they DI behind you then directional airdodge in front of you, U-tilt (no need to reverse U-tilt), SH Nair (or Bair).
10% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. U-smash can be avoided by DIing away and DJing away (and also by DIing behind and DJ away but only if Link is facing right because z-axis shenanigans). Otherwise as above.
30% U-smash no longer works. SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair.
40% (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.) U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away.
50% U-tilts no longer work.
60% FH Nair/Bair no longer work so use DJ Nair/Bair.
90% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work. (SH Uair will stop working; start to use FH Uair)
110% ASA stops working. (FH Uair will stop working; start to use DJ Uair)
130% (DJ Uair can be avoided with DJ even with no DI)

Link

Yoshi

Fox
0% Depending on DI, Reverse U-tilt (or U-tilt).
10% U-tilts can be avoided by DIing away then DJing away.
20% FH Nair/Bair begin to work (SH never worked). Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by simply DIing away.
30% U-tilts no longer work. ASA starts to work if frame perfect.
40% FH Nair/Bair no longer work, use DJ Nair/Bair.
50% (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
60% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work. (SH Uair will stop working.)
70% ASA stops working. (FH begins to work if they don't DI away.)
80% (FH Uair stops working.)

Pikachu
10% Depending on DI, SH Nair/Bair begin to work.
20% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
30% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. U-tilts can be avoided by DIing away.
50% FH Nair/Bair no longer work, use DJ Nair/Bair. (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
60% (SH Uair will stop working.)
70% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work. ASA stops working.

Ness

Jigglypuff

Peach
20% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
30% Normal U-tilt can also be avoided by simply DIing away.
50% FH Nair/Bair no longer work, use DJ Nair/Bair. (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
70% DJ Nair/Bair will stop working (SH Uair will stop working; start to use FH Uair)
80% ASA stops working.
90% (FH Uair will stop working)

Bowser
0% U-smash will work unless they DI behind you then directional airdodge in front of you, U-tilt (no need to reverse U-tilt), SH Nair (or Bair).
10% ASA starts to work if frame perfect.
20% U-smash is also avoidable by DIing away then DJing away.
30% U-smash is avoidable by simply DIing away.
40% U-smash no longer works. SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away.
50% SH Uair works unless they DI away and then either directional airdodge back toward you or DJ away.
60% To avoid SH Uair, they must DI away then directional airdodge back toward you, but if you dash forward for a frame first this will not work either. U-tilts no longer work.
70% Dashing forward will no longer guarantee SH Uair if they DI away.
80% FH Nair/Bair no longer work so use DJ Nair/Bair.
90% (SH Uair will stop working; start to use FH Uair)
100% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work.
110% ASA stops working.
120% (FH Uair will stop working; start to use DJ Uair)
140% (DJ Uair can be avoided with DJ even with no DI)

Pichu
20% FH Nair/Bair begin to work (SH never worked). Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
30% U-tilts no longer work. ASA starts to work if frame perfect.
40% FH Nair/Bair no longer work, use DJ Nair/Bair.
50% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work.
60% ASA stops working.

Marth/Lucina
Their Up-B is frame one invulnerable in the air. This complicates things.
0% If they don't use Up-B, Reverse U-tilt (or U-tilt), SH Nair (or Bair) will work.
If they do, picking the right U-tilt depending on DI will still work, but there's no risk even if you pick wrong as the Up-B won't hit you and then you are free to punish. It will hit you if you attempt a Nair/Bair though.
10% Their Up-B will miss an attempted SH Nair unless they DI behind you and reverse the Up-B, but then Bair will hit if they try this.
20% ASA starts to work if frame perfect but not against their Up-B.
30% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair, only, frame perfect FH Nair doesn't work against their Up-B and will get you hit. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
40% Normal U-tilt can also be avoided by simply DIing away. Frame perfect FH Nair will beat their Up-B.
50% U-tilts no longer work. ASA will start to work against their Up-B if frame perfect. (SH Uair works if they don't DI away (or use Up-B, which won't hit you).)
60% FH Nair/Bair no longer work, use DJ Nair/Bair.
70% DJ Nair/Bair will stop working (SH Uair will stop working; start to use FH Uair, which can of course still be avoided as above.)
80% ASA stops working.

Young Link
10% Depending on DI, SH Nair/Bair.
20% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair.
30% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
50% FH Nair/Bair no longer work, use DJ Nair/Bair.
60% (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
70% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work. ASA stops working. (SH Uair will stop working.)

Roy
0% Reverse U-tilt (or U-tilt), SH Nair (or Bair) will work.
10% Their Up-B will miss an attempted SH Nair unless they DI behind you and reverse the Up-B, but then Bair will hit if they try this.
20% ASA starts to work if frame perfect.
30% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
40% Normal U-tilt can also be avoided by simply DIing away.
50% U-tilts no longer work. (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
70% (SH Uair will stop working; start to use FH Uair, which can of course still be avoided as above.)
80% DJ Nair/Bair will stop working
90% ASA stops working.

Mr. Game & Watch

Zero Suit Samus

Wario
0% U-tilt (reverse U-tilt for DI away), SH Nair (or Bair).
20% ASA starts to work if frame perfect.
30% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
40% (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.) U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away.
70% FH Nair/Bair no longer work so use DJ Nair/Bair.
80% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work. (SH Uair will stop working; start to use FH Uair)
90% ASA stops working.
110% (FH Uair will stop working)

Snake

Ike
0% U-tilt (no need to reverse U-tilt; the only way to avoid it is to DI away then directional airdodge toward you or diagonally down and toward you, which can be punished), SH Nair (or Bair).
10% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. (DI away then directionally airdodge toward you won't avoid a normal U-tilt)
30% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away then DJing away.
40% (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
70% FH Nair/Bair no longer work so use DJ Nair/Bair. (SH Uair will stop working; start to use FH Uair)
80% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work.
90% ASA stops working. (FH Uair will stop working; start to use DJ Uair)
120% (DJ Uair can be avoided with DJ even with no DI)

Pokemon Trainer

Lucas

Olimar
His whistle gives him armor on frame 2, that's one frame sooner than he can get invulnerability from airdodging. If Olimar is able to whistle-armor through a follow-up, I will count that follow-up as not working.
10% Depending on DI, SH Nair/Bair begin to work.
20% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then whistling or DJing away.
30% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. U-tilts can be avoided by DIing away.
60% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work. (SH Uair will stop working.)
70% ASA stops working.

R.O.B.

Wolf
20% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair.
30% U-tilts can be avoided by DIing away.
40% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. U-tilts no longer work.
50% FH Nair/Bair no longer work, use DJ Nair/Bair.
60% (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
70% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work. (SH Uair will stop working.)
80% ASA stops working.

Mega Man

Greninja
20% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away / airdodging.
30% U-tilts no longer work. FH Nair/Bair can be avoided by DJing.
40% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. DJ Nair/Bair start working.
60% DJ Nair/Bair no longer work. (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
70% ASA stops working. (SH Uair will stop working.)

Palutena

Pac-Man

Shulk

Ryu

Ken

Inkling
20% ASA starts to work if frame perfect. Reverse U-tilt can be avoided by DIing away, while Normal U-tilt can only be avoided by DIing away and then DJing away.
30% SH Nair/Bair no longer work, you will need to start doing FH Nair/Bair. Normal U-tilt can also be avoided by simply DIing away.
50% U-tilts no longer work. (SH Uair works if they don't DI away.)
80% DJ Nair/Bair will stop working ASA stops working. (SH Uair will stop working; start to use FH Uair)
100% (FH Uair will stop working)

More to come.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Here's a video on an expert guide of Link's bomb recovery made by LxZ Link, a fellow Link main Youtuber

He also made a beginners guide of Link's bomb recovery as well. Please check it out if you haven't seen it already or if you're looking to learn how to start recovering with Link's remote bomb

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Anyone looking for ways to improve with Link? Well here's a video guide from LxZ Link to help you start improving!

I also found this technique called 'C-stick Macro Specials' which is a technique that takes advantage of the macro on the c-stick. It can be helpful for performing Wavebounces.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Patch 3.0.0 is coming soon today. But before that happens, here's a Link combo showcase video made my friend LxZ Link. Lets hope that patch 3.0.0 doesn't negatively affect our ability to perform these sick combos that he has made for us.

EDIT: The changes from patch 3.0.0 did not hinder Link's ability to perform these combos showcased in the video. They are still possible for Link to pull off.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
THE OFFICIAL v3.0.0 PATCH IS OUT!
The link to the official v3.0.0 patch notes changes are listed right here:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45075/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTU1NTQ5NDQ3L2dlbi8xNTU1NTQ5NDQ3L3NpZC9mVTRQbHRSQWx5SFNzMmFfOE9Yekxjb3NvVTRiJTdFZndOSXVEWU1VNnNtaWRJbnFfQ3ltc01tYk9YZWhPV29PTnElN0VqVENXJTdFeWMlN0VYOFMzWFFJOEQ2OVdVNzMyZ0p2WlVBb1Q2eDlsbVd6NW5DQXpEeXVJVGduR0thUSUyMSUyMQ==

Here are some universal changes that have been made to all characters according to the patch notes in terms of their basic movement:
Universal Patch 3.0.0 changes.PNG

As for what changes have been made to Link, he's only received a small nerf to his Boomerang:
Link Patch 3.0.0 changes.PNG

Seems that the reason as to why this change has been made was to nerf the projectile spam in Smash Ultimate as there were other characters who had their projectiles nerfed in terms of how much power they did on shields. This nerf to Link's Boomerang shouldn't really affect the amount of damage that he does with his Boomerang or ability to combo off of it. So overall, Link hasn't really received anything that'll drastically change the way he plays from this v3.0.0 patch.

Here's a visual representation from the Link discord showcasing just how much shield damage Link's boomerang now does in the new v3.0.0 patch in comparison to patch v2.0.2.

Top image is from patch v2.0.2 and the Bottom image is from patch v3.0.0:
Link Patch 3.0.0 changes image.PNG

As you can see, the amount of shield damage that Link's Boomerang now does has been change by a pretty small amount.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Here's a spreadsheet on the Link's Nair Tumble Percents on every character in Smash Ultimate for version 3.0.1. Shoutouts to the people on the Link discord for creating this spreadsheet after hour of testing in the lab.

Click here to view:
Link's Nair Tumble Percents 3.0.1

Note that this spreadsheet does not include Nair Tumble Percents on Joker yet as the Link discord has yet to figure out what his percents need to be at to start tumbling from Link's Nair.
The information on this spreadsheet may change depending on the balance changes that we'll receive from future patches so please be on the lookout for any updates on this spreadsheet in the future.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
The Beefy Smash Doods just posted this video on a new item technique which seems extremely helpful with Link's Remote Bombs and can potentially lead to new combos and Bomb setups

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Izaw released his very first 'Art of Link' video for Smash Ultimate!

Note that he is not gonna mention anything about Link's Remote Bomb in this video as he will make a separate video covering the Remote Bomb.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I have a video to share with you guys involving Link. This video of course is prior to me breaking my thumb. I haven't been able to consistently play Link how I'd like to because of the medical issue and because the thumb brace on my thumb makes it hard to execute button inputs effectively, quickly and accurately. That on the side, I'd like to talk about a couple things that take place in this video that should probably be paid attention to and explored a little more than I see it being done by other Links. I'll startoff by talking about the intro to the video itself.

The beginning of the video: Throwing Links bomb UP instead of z drop or down throw as a ledge guard option. EVERYONE and their mother expects to have Links wait for the opponent to get close enough to the ledge and then z drop detonate. In fact, most people are so expecting of it that they just eat the bomb at this point and tech. However, the same people I generally find teching the z drop detonates are also the same people I catch off guard the most with throwing the bomb up instead. It cuts off high recovery inherently because they don't want to jump into a bomb, and of course covers mid as it falls and eventually low. This essentially forces people to recover mid, or wait out the bomb and recover SUPER low. In otherwords, this effectively forces your opponent to give you a free edge guard scenario with a runoff nair, if you choose not to detonate the bomb and only use it as a scare tactic to force them low. However, for the most part, 9 out of 10 up throws if timed properly will workout best if you just detonate instead of using it for a scare, but don't forget that the scare tactic is always there for the Nair setup.

Timestamp at 0:31: At this point in the video, there are a few different clips where I barrage the opponent with nairs and bombs, and it appears that when I do this and stay out of grab range, there is virtually no safe option for the opponent to perform outside of roll back, which obviously, rolling isn't exactly 'safe'. Now, doing this in a way that doesn't leave you open is FAR easier said than done because the timing and spacing required for inputs and safe shield pressure is very strict. z drop nair if spaced properly on a shield can either result in a free forward throw with the bomb or a downthrow with the bomb, which of course means a regrab nair or a regrab backair shield cross up. I recommend trying to learn this technique, as before I broke my thumb, I was able to consistently lock people down into the corner of stages and force them to roll behind me to escape the pressure, because pressing any A button resulted in them picking up my bomb and eating a Nair, thus being sent off stage. If they spot dodge, either the bomb will hit them or the nair will. If they shield, and you are spaced well, they can't really shield grab either, it'll whiff and they'll just end up back under pressure. I call this "dribbling" kind of like you dribble a basketball.

At timestamp 1:12, against the Ryu, you'll see a z drop combo that also involves using a grab downthrow while using uptilt to not only extend the throw damage but regrab the bomb in the process. This is already common knowledge, but what isn't common knowledge is that it is 100% true after a z drop backair forward bomb throw. I consistently do this to characters around Ryus weight/size, in fact, even with a broken thumb, I can still consistently do this combo to Ryu and other similar weights/sizes. Even just yesterday, I did it to someone twice in the same game, and once in the game before it. I HIGHLY recommend looking at this one closely and applying it as it creates a lot of pressure and let's be real, bomb combos are just sick looking. Why else would you want to play Link other than looking sick ? I also want to note that after the initial uptilt bomb regrab, you can throw the bomb up and begin conditioning the opponent based on stage position. If you are on right side, they'll generally drift left to avoid the bomb, and if on left side, they'll drift to the right to avoid the bomb. This means, follow the drift and catch them with up airs. If they spot dodge, well, they done goofed because now the punish just hits harder than they would have received if they just took the upair. VERY great conditioning tool and combo. Try it out and help optimize it.

You don't have to worry about other stuff in the video, I only brought it here as an example for those few reasons. Tho, if you have any feedback about the video, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if you would let me know what you think. If you like it, let me know. If it was helpful showcasing of something to practice, let me know that as well. If you like the video, please please PLEASE click the like button because I get this thumb brace off my thumb in less than 2 weeks and get to play this character again and I'm honestly excited to explore him in depth to find nice, lengthy, 50/50 or frame trap based bomb extension combos that are both practical and quick to practice, just like the bomb combo on that Ryu. Peace for now. Will return in the future when I figure out more z drop combo setups.

EDIT: I also forgot to note, more Links need to do jump off Arrows just before shooting out a Nair to edge guard long distance off stage opponents. It's honestly SUPER good option. They either have to jump or fastfall if the arrow is placed well enough and that leaves them with either no double jump or a dangerously low recovery being forced out of them.

Last edited:

J for Jonas

Smash Rookie
Up smash and SH Fair below opponents on platforms connects only on a few chars reliably. Here is a Google Sheet I made showing who they are and under what circumstances they get hit for all characters in Smash Ultimate.
All other stages with plats are too high for Upsmash/SH Fair to work reliably apart from PS1 in which you can use the BF side plat data and the PS2 data for the midplat at Town and City. SH Fair could work on Lylat from the middle of the ground to the lower sideplats though situational.

Color coding:
Green = Reliable
Yellow = Works well if you position yourself accordingly
Orange = Can work but harder to pull off
Red = Not worth going for

Click here to view the Google Sheet
Up smash and SH Fair below opponents on platforms 3.0.1

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Izaw just posted his second video guide on Link's Remote Bomb. This video guides offers more tips and tricks on how to position the bomb, how to use the Remote Bomb in Neutral, Remote Bomb Combos & Setups, as well as some Remote Bomb Techs.

If you have watched Izaw's first video guide on Link's Remote Bomb, then I recommend that you watch it before watching his second Remote Bomb guide in order to get started on learning how the Remote Bomb works with Link.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
THE OFFICIAL v3.1.0 PATCH IS OUT!
The link to the official v3.0.0 patch notes changes are listed right here:
https://en-americas-support.nintend...imate-update-ver.-3.1.0---fighter-adjustments

For those who that are wondering, Link has received no changes at all from this patch.

The Beefy Smash Doods have made a video showcasing side by side comparison of the changes made in patch 3.1.0.

They also mentioned some unannounced changes that weren't mentioned in the patch notes. One of those changes includes the Held Item Attack Tech, a technique that allowed you to attack with your aerials and normals while holding an item in your hands at the same time. This was a tech that benefited character who had throw-able projectiles such as Link with his Remote Bomb. Sadly he will no longer be able to perform this tech now that it has been patched out.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Wanna know how to finish off your opponents with one of the most satisfying edgeguarding options that you can do as Link?

Check this video guide from my good friend LxZ Link on how to perform 'The T Spike' with Link!

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Salem made this video guide on LSI and Crouch Canceling for Smash Ultimate.
Both of these techniques are helping in improving Link's survivability in Smash Ultimate.

LSI, aka Launch Speed Influence, can be helpful for Link at getting the stage tech while recovering with his Remote Bomb in order to avoid his opponents attempts to punish Link for recovering high above the stage with his Remote Bomb Recovery.

Crouch Canceling is helpful for Link at surviving strong hits that he normally wouldn't be able to survive. Note that Salem misses the fact Crouch Cancelling doesn't apply to crawls, Dtils, etc. in this video.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
This man is a legend to be able to pull off these Death Combos with Link!
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Hello guys! I have a special announcement to make!

A friend of mine from the Link discord has announced that he's going to be making a Link collaboration montage video and will accept any clips that you send to him on amazing plays and highlights with BOTW Link.

Here is the official post about the Link montage collaboration that state all the details about it as well as a video tutorial on how to send him you clips:

c91f8e444430ee571575d3341890c8e5.png

EDIT: Here's the finished Link Collaboration Montage video. Please give it a like and Subscribe to WolfeScratch for putting this video together!

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Check out this new Link Remote Bomb Edgeguard setup!
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
They ruined Link in this game. They ruined his voice and his bombs. 1. The voice is TERRIBLE AS HECC, and 2. the "remote bombs" can be used to the opponents advantage. #MakeLinkGreatAgain
First of all, this is probably the best Link we've ever had overall. Second, remote bombs don't really do jack for other characters. What are they gonna do if they get it; throw it at us for 1% damage or throw it offstage? They can't detonate it on their own and holding it locks out their normals until they do get rid of it. It's incredible for edgeguarding and securing kills offstage. Third, "his voice" has nothing to do with his metagame so take that somewhere else.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
They ruined Link in this game. They ruined his voice and his bombs. 1. The voice is TERRIBLE AS HECC, and 2. the "remote bombs" can be used to the opponents advantage. #MakeLinkGreatAgain
Agreed. The worst part is we'll most likely never ever get the old Link back either.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
First of all, this is probably the best Link we've ever had overall.
Hmmm.... Not sure about that one chief.
Second, remote bombs don't really do jack for other characters. What are they gonna do if they get it; throw it at us for 1% damage or throw it offstage? They can't detonate it on their own and holding it locks out their normals until they do get rid of it. It's incredible for edgeguarding and securing kills offstage.
Okay... here's the problem. You see the thing is... throwing it off stage is fine, since you can always generate a new one. I've seen Level 9 CPUs do that in Tournaments. But if they throw it at you, THEN detonate it, Boom. You are hit. If you're against a professional player who knows how to fight Link, that means the tables have turned. NEVER TRUST REMOTE BOMBS.
Third, "his voice" has nothing to do with his metagame so take that somewhere else.
I know his voice has nothing to do with his metagame. I'm saying that the way a character sounds is one of the most important parts of the character. Mario has had different voice actors now and ten, but ultimately, Charles Martinet is the most popular voice actor for Mario.

It was the same for Bowser! They had to choose between Scott Reid (who is the voice actor for Ninja in Mario Sports Mix), or Kenny James. They chose Kenny James, and he is the most popular voice actor for Bowser. This version of Link sounds like TRASH. No offense to Kengo Takanashi, but his voice acting for Link in this game is utter trash. They could've brought back Akira Sasanuma again, but no. They had to make us suffer with THIS TRASHY VOICE ACTING.

This has been my TED Talk, and what I'm trying to say here is Make Link Great Again.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Okay... here's the problem. You see the thing is... throwing it off stage is fine, since you can always generate a new one. I've seen Level 9 CPUs do that in Tournaments. But if they throw it at you, THEN detonate it, Boom. You are hit. If you're against a professional player who knows how to fight Link, that means the tables have turned. NEVER TRUST REMOTE BOMBS.
This is the only relevant thing in your post so I'm just gonna reply to this in order to enlighten. If you detonate the bomb AFTER they throw it at you, that's literally your own fault and you deserve the damage from your own bomb. Why would you ever do that? Also, if you detonate it just before they pick it up it will explode in their hands and take the blast. If they even get close to the bomb you can detonate it to hit them. The opponent typically doesn't wanna be near the bomb as you are free to detonate it on command. Hence its ability to trap. It has decently high knockback as well and a big radius on explosion. Hence it's ability to edgeguard very well.

By your opinion of the bombs being turned against him, it's actually Toon and Young Link that have less trustworthy bombs as the enemy can at least do something with them if they catch one.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Hmmm.... Not sure about that one chief.

I know his voice has nothing to do with his metagame. I'm saying that the way a character sounds is one of the most important parts of the character. Mario has had different voice actors now and ten, but ultimately, Charles Martinet is the most popular voice actor for Mario.

It was the same for Bowser! They had to choose between Scott Reid (who is the voice actor for Ninja in Mario Sports Mix), or Kenny James. They chose Kenny James, and he is the most popular voice actor for Bowser. This version of Link sounds like TRASH. No offense to Kengo Takanashi, but his voice acting for Link in this game is utter trash. They could've brought back Akira Sasanuma again, but no. They had to make us suffer with THIS TRASHY VOICE ACTING.

This has been my TED Talk, and what I'm trying to say here is Make Link Great Again.
In a competitive sense, he is the best Link we've had. Even just looking at T's results in this game, Link has done way more noteworthy feats here already than Smash 4 Link did for its whole lifespan.

And even if your opponent has the Remote Bomb and throws it, I don't see why any player would detonate it at close range when they know it's coming. Also certain you can detonate it almost immediately against whoever threw it, or just not do anything with it. It's not impossible to use Toon or Young Link's bombs against them either, and I'd also argue those aren't too easy to capitalize on.

I really haven't seen top level players or anybody use Link's bombs against him efficiently at all, and they still have less ways to follow-up from them than him regardless. Unless Links are constantly throwing bombs in others' faces and doing nothing afterwards, they shouldn't be losing advantage at all. The point of the bomb is to limit your enemy's options to get near you, like leaving a trap around, while mixing up where you move it.

Link does have notable flaws, but these aren't the ones I'd think of first.

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
wait, what? Why are you detonating the bomb when its thrown back at you? why are you trying to detonate it at all if an opponent is holding it? I dont see why it would happen unless your just mashing the detonator when they catch and throw it. the only way other players can force the bomb to detonate themselves is to hit it with something fire based. So for instance, an Olimar COULD chuck your bomb at you and quickly hit it with a red Pikmin. But this can not happen while your holding it, and does not happen often to begin with

I mean, I still say that I liked the old bombs infinitely more, but I cant argue that the remote bombs are bad. They serve different purposes than the old ones, and serve their purpose extremely well. They are incredible for setting traps, killing, and edge guarding. But the one thing the remote bombs have that has mostly erased all my annoyance with them is the bomb recovery. Remote bomb recovery is way more versatile and controlled, allowing link to recover from almost anywhere, and make it a LOT harder to gimp link if you are good enough at it. Gone are the days when a light tap from literally any attack while off stage would send me helplessly falling down into the void. they are also really great for preventing edge guarding all together by blasting yourself past enemies attempting to jump out and hit you.

Personally, I like to purposely try and get rushdown characters to accidentally grab my bomb by throwing it at em when they are attacking. catching the bomb will throw off a LOT of players flow and give you an opportunity to hit them when their attack is disrupted

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Personally, I like to purposely try and get rushdown characters to accidentally grab my bomb by throwing it at em when they are attacking. catching the bomb will throw off a LOT of players flow and give you an opportunity to hit them when their attack is disrupted
This is what I personally don't understand. Why do people use the remote bombs to take out rushdown characters such as Sonic (:ultsonic:) and Yoshi (:ultyoshi:) when there are fighters such as Kirby (:ultkirby:) that can take down those characters? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
because I dont play Kirby, I dont enjoy playing Kirby or characters that play like him at all. I play Link because I enjoy playing him, and opt to learn the matchups for the character I have fun playing as.....thats literally the point of the game, find what you enjoy and master it.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
because I dont play Kirby, I dont enjoy playing Kirby or characters that play like him at all. I play Link because I enjoy playing him, and opt to learn the matchups for the character I have fun playing as.....thats literally the point of the game, find what you enjoy and master it.
I understand the point of the game. I just don't know why you can use a cheap bomb against a rushdown character when we have bait and punish characters that are dedicated to defeating rushdown characters.

Also Hero is broken. Please don't ban him, just give him a nerf or two.

Top Bottom