• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The Hero of the Wild - Smash Ultimate Link Metagame Thread

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Can Link combo off Dthrow after Usmash %s? I'm having trouble landing Dthrow>Nair/Uair.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Bomb mechanics you may not know that you really totally should know(!!)

The bomb itself when thrown, Z-dropped or bouncing etc is a hurtbox sphere with a slightly smaller hitbox sphere inside it.
This is really important to understand as you'll see, so take note.

If the bomb hitbox touches a shield, the bomb will inflict shieldstun and lose the hitbox, i.e. the bomb will bounce off the shield and then be harmless to the defender.
If instead the bomb hurtbox touches the shield first, the bomb will bounce off the shield without inflicting shieldstun and will retain its active hitbox, meaning it can hit the defender if they subsequently come into contact with it even while it is bouncing on the ground afterwards.
Note that in this second scenario where the bomb's hurtbox has touched the shield first, the defender can actually parry the bomb's hitbox even one frame after the bomb has harmlessly bounced off their shield. This will mean they go into their parry frames (invincible) and the bomb will lose its active hitbox.
If you want to better ensure that the bomb's hurtbox touches the shield first because you like the idea of it retaining its hitbox when shielded, you will want to make the bomb move slowly, e.g. by z-dropping it just above the shield.
If you want to ensure the bomb's hitbox touches the shield first because you want the opponent to experience shieldstun from the bomb, let it be thrown/z-dropped inside the shield.
Otherwise simply take note of whether you see their shield flash with shieldstun when the bomb bounces off it and act on the knowledge that gives you.

Fire will immediately detonate bombs if it comes in contact with the bomb's hurtbox. Fire projectiles that can be clanked with however, well that's a different story.
If the fire projectile manages to come in contact with the hurtbox and avoid the slightly smaller hitbox of the bomb, it will detonate the bomb.
But if instead it comes in contact with the bomb's hitbox, the two hitboxes will clank, the fire projectile will disapear, the bomb's trajectory will be changed by being hit, but the bomb will otherwise remain intact and will even retain its hitbox too (just in case the fire thrower comes into contact afterwards while it is still bouncing).
If you want to better ensure this then give the bomb some speed in relation to the fire projectile.

The bomb cannot be picked up if Link has already started to detonate it.
If the opponent picks it up on the same frame you begin to detonate it, you will actually blow it up while they are holding it.
The trade-off (I guess) is, if you attempt to detonate it on the same frame the opponent lets go of the bomb, you will still get that useless bombpull animation.

The bomb blast is active for 2 frames, which is up from 1 frame only in smash 4, so yay.

The bomb has 60% health, i.e. it will not tank 60% but can tank anything less.

You can no longer Z-drop on the first frame of landing as in smash 4. Sadness.

The bomb will typically bounce 4 times maximum.
There are some obvious and boring ways to make it bounce more or less than this (e.g. releasing it close to the ground, bouncing it off higher surfaces, letting it hit something during its bounces etc).
But did you know it can bounce indefinitely if you throw it down just to the right of the small rectangular broken-pillar-wall on the top-right-middle of the Temple stage??? Wow! Broken!

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Here’s a tutorial guide video on how to ZAC and IZAC with Link’s Remote Bombs:
Hopefully this will help players learn how to combo with Z-dropping the Remote Bomb and then instantly catching it with an aerial.

Shoutouts to the people on the Link Discord channel for putting together this video guide!

EDIT:
For those who don't know the fact that Link can recover with his Remote Bombs or already know about it and want to learn how to recover with them, then here are two video guides on how to recover with Link's Remote Bombs.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Izaw, a Youtuber Link Main happen to upload video on part 1 of his in-depth guide to Link's Remote Bomb

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Don't know if that was mentioned before, if so I'm sorry. But if you have the "tilt stick" configured, you can throw down it down out of shield more easily. The shield will deactivate for the duration of the animation but if you're still holding the shield button, you can grab immediately after the throw animation by pressing A or pushing the tilt stick in any directions or get back to shielding.

From there the bomb will stay at your feet, and if you D-throw to a U-tilt for example. Link will grab the bomb as he attack and then you can try to send it upward and chain an explosion.

But if you pummel someone, depending on how you do it, the bomb will roll away a little and potentially buffer a detonate of someone freeing himself from the grab.

I can't say if this is a reliable tool to mix up or a really rare mix up flashy thing, and I didn't researched it a lot but as I was experimenting in training mod for hours yesterday to better comprehend him and the Ultimate mechanics and I found this and I was wondering if you think it might help Link's meta ?

And Two quick questions. When is it reliable to use F-Tilt. Is instant dash attack an approaching opponent from mid range trying to close a the gap reliable ?

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Don't know if that was mentioned before, if so I'm sorry. But if you have the "tilt stick" configured, you can throw down it down out of shield more easily. The shield will deactivate for the duration of the animation but if you're still holding the shield button, you can grab immediately after the throw animation by pressing A or pushing the tilt stick in any directions or get back to shielding.

From there the bomb will stay at your feet, and if you D-throw to a U-tilt for example. Link will grab the bomb as he attack and then you can try to send it upward and chain an explosion.

But if you pummel someone, depending on how you do it, the bomb will roll away a little and potentially buffer a detonate of someone freeing himself from the grab.

I can't say if this is a reliable tool to mix up or a really rare mix up flashy thing, and I didn't researched it a lot but as I was experimenting in training mod for hours yesterday to better comprehend him and the Ultimate mechanics and I found this and I was wondering if you think it might help Link's meta ?

And Two quick questions. When is it reliable to use F-Tilt. Is instant dash attack an approaching opponent from mid range trying to close a the gap reliable ?
I personally like to use F-tilt when retreating for some spacing. Also prefer it over F-smash most of the time as it has better coverage and is overall quicker to use while still being a reliable kill move. Hits under the ledge too. Switch the stick to tilt attacks to do this more effectively.

Dash Attack is very unsafe on shield but it's good for tech chaces. If you're approaching, you're better off doing so with arrows/boomerangs or a bomb in hand. His F and D tilts are decent for poking too I think.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Found this video while I was browsing through YT. Might be something worth keeping in mind when trying to set up your own combos and edgeguards with Link's remote bomb.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Danish just posted his Link combo video which feature some pretty unique combos and setups from his Link!

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
I got some matches of Salem's Link during the SC United tournament. Please analysis his Link matches during this tournament and share you thoughts about these particular MUs.

Salem switches from Lucina to Link during the 4th round of this GF doubles match.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I can tell you for a fact that MKLeo's Ike's N-air WAS the difference in that MU. Link plays a bit more like a swordfighter these days but Ike just slightly has the superior aerials overall. N-air on it's own is fast enough, and has more than enough coverage to protect him from anything Link can swing at him. That one move is what makes it a tough MU for Link, imo. It's just stupidly good. I wonder if Up-B OoS could punish Ike's N-air...

But, Salem did kill himself a couple times there too lol. I think he would have at least taken a game if not for that.

Not much to add yet on Peach but at about 2:35 with Mute, Salem got super aggressive once Peach caught the bomb and it kinda looked like Mute was a little locked up from holding it. It's definitely important to note that literally nobody can make real use of Link's bombs and it kinda shows there I think.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
I can tell you for a fact that MKLeo's Ike's N-air WAS the difference in that MU. Link plays a bit more like a swordfighter these days but Ike just slightly has the superior aerials overall. N-air on it's own is fast enough, and has more than enough coverage to protect him from anything Link can swing at him. That one move is what makes it a tough MU for Link, imo. It's just stupidly good. I wonder if Up-B OoS could punish Ike's N-air...
I went over to the Link Discord and asked some people about punishing Ike's Nair with Link's Spin Attack OoS. Here are their responses to that topic:
Ike Nair punish.PNG

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
About Ike's Nair, If we could get the hang of parrying, we my be able to utilt or Upsmash it. These Nair are great but the fact it repetitive and the pressure of him closing in is what choke Link the most. The Bomb and boomerang up close are too slow against that flurry of Nairs. Anyways, as always I could be wrong be I'm just putting my thought out here in case it helps :)

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
About Ike's Nair, If we could get the hang of parrying, we my be able to utilt or Upsmash it. These Nair are great but the fact it repetitive and the pressure of him closing in is what choke Link the most. The Bomb and boomerang up close are too slow against that flurry of Nairs. Anyways, as always I could be wrong be I'm just putting my thought out here in case it helps :)
I'm pretty sure parrying the same can be said will all characters in Ultimate as it is a new mechanic that a lot of player have yet to fully make use of it.

You should always have some space to pull out Link's bomb as it does have a bit of start up to it which can get Link punished. As for boomerang, despite the fact that it doesn't come out too fast, you can true combo it into Link's Fair which does at least 30% which is a lot of damage and can potentially kill your opponent when they're at the right percent.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
My friends on the Link Discord has made a google document on a list of all of Link's locking normals that do not hit certain characters.

Here's an explanation on what this list is about.

When some characters are knocked down their hurtbox becomes smaller making it harder for us to hit these characters with moves that lock. For the purpose of this I have tested a bunch of normals that would normally be used for locking an opponent. These Normals are Jab 1&2, Nair, FSmash 1. Below is a list of characters that cannot be hit by certain moves. (This does not include when they do the small bounce its for when they are resting in spot all moves should be able to hit if they are bouncing). Echoes are the same as their original.

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
How are you doing that diagonal motion with boomerang ?
The controller inputs are shown at the bottom right in that video tweet.

Are you asking about how Link was able to gain aerial momentum as he was throwing the boomerang?

Last edited:

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
The controller inputs are shown at the bottom right in that video tweet.

Are you asking about how Link was able to gain aerial momentum as he was throwing the boomerang?
Yes that's what I was trying to say.

He’s flipping his momentum with a b-reverse. Here’s a video on b-reversing
https://youtu.be/WtXoYgkC0PA

Edit: that video didn’t explain it very well. Here’s one from smash 4 that shows you how to do it. He uses neutral b but it works with side b as well.
Link: https://youtu.be/Vw1elkJwtDo
Thanks a lot I will look them up right away !

Iridium

Smash Hero
Four Links made top 48 at Umebura SP 2 (T, Nicorin, Lean and Manzoku), and two made top 8 at Karisuma SP 1 (Smasher, Asui). T's still using Young Link as well, but this is great for us.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Four Links made top 48 at Umebura SP 2 (T, Nicorin, Lean and Manzoku), and two made top 8 at Karisuma SP 1 (Smasher, Asui). T's still using Young Link, but this is great for us.
T also plays as BOTW Link as well

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
The one thing that stood out the most during this match between T and Banshou was how T managed to win that first game by comboing Link's SideB into ASA (Aerial Spin Attack). This is indeed a true combo btw.

Some stuff that I noticed during this match was T being able to quickly punish Ken's SideB sometimes with Link's Nair after getting caught by the multi-hit of Ken's SideB as well as being able to easily punish Ken's SideB recovery option with a simple Z-drop of Link's Remote Bomb and detonating it.

Last edited:

Kellojolly

Smash Cadet
Is it just me or is T playing Link a little like YL or TL? He focuses on boomerang and his CQC options and plays extremely aggressively. Also, he doesn't tend to use the bomb for stage control too much, if at all. And it seems like it's working somehow. Sorry if I am wrong but I am just a humble guy trying to learn the ways of Link after getting bored of Inkling lol.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I always forget Link has bombs to be honest. Tried using them online today and had some good results, but mostly against weaker opponents.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
It's been forever since I decided to make a post. But here I am.

Of course I came back to smash playing Link but....

Link have some tough inputs. Most with bombs. Tougher than most characters in this game and I'm wondering how everybody is managing doing them. What controller configurations are you using.

The hardest and most important for me listed below would immensely improve my ability to space and move.

short hop zdrop rar bair
Consistent wavebounce boomerangs (it's so much easier with arrows lol)

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Here's a link to a video clip of a nice Link that a friend of mine on the Link Discord had created.

https://gfycat.com/EvergreenConcreteBlacklab
Note that the grab isn't exactly guaranteed during this combo

This friend of mine also made this video on some Remote Bomb dribble setups for Link that can be done at around the middle of the stage
https://gfycat.com/ShowyFamiliarAbyssiniangroundhornbill

My friend also told me that you Smash toss the bomb downwards and then hit it with the top of SH Nair, the bomb will always go to the left no matter which way you're facing.
Here's a video that he made to prove that statement:
https://gfycat.com/GrossWhichCicada

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Fatality just posted his very own Smash Ultimate guide video on Link

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
THE OFFICIAL v2.0.0 PATCH IS OUT!
And this time Nintendo have actually listen to us and made their way to list all the official balance changes that have been made in this patch!

The link to the official v2.0.0 patch notes changes are listed right here:
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43317

As for our boi Link, he has received a few buffs from this patch. And here are what they are:
2.0.0 Link changes.PNG

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
For those who want to learn how to B-reverse with Link or with other characters that can use B-reverse, here's a video guide on how to do so from my boi Jtails

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Here's a fellow Link main Youtuber who has made in-depth video guides on Link's True combos and bomb setups in Smash Ultimate.

He also happens to be the same guy who made this Link bomb recovery guide that Iridium Iridium happened to have already posted on this thread.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Any tips for edgeguarding as Link? I am generally scared to do it because his recovery is pretty gimpable.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Any tips for edgeguarding as Link? I am generally scared to do it because his recovery is pretty gimpable.
You can simply use his projectiles to edgeguard from the ledge. His Remote bomb is the most effective out of his three projectiles.

Or if you wanna go offstage, you can use Nair, Fair, or Dair. Using Nair is a good way to gimp your opponent. Fair is good for getting a kill if you happen to land it offstage. Dair is good for getting the spike with Link although it can be risky to go for if you happen to execute below the ledge since you'll likely won't be able to make it back but satisfying nontheless if you successfully land that spike.

For starters, I suggest that you start out trying using his Remote Bomb for edgeguarding. There are some video guides that are posted on this thread to help you learn how to perform setups with Link's Remote Bomb, including some that are used for edgeguarding.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Anyone having trouble trying to utilize Link's Bair for combos? Well here's a video guide that goes over the techniques used in order to incorporate Link's Bair in his strings such as Attack Cancel, Turnaround Bair, and RAR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom