• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
So if Shantae gets in does anyone think she'll have a Japanese voice for the Japanese dub?
I don't think she has a Japanese VA yet so she most likely still have her English voice but I do wonder if she does get a Japanese voice actor who will it be ?

Thigolf

Smash Cadet
"Shovel Knight only appeared in one game. Even then, it didn't do very well in the eyes of the general public, so his chances of being in Smash are low."

Sounds familiar. :popo:

"Even though Shantae is an ongoing series, her chances are low, since the popularity is based on it's obscurity and cult following, and has only really achieved it recently because of Smash, more specifically the ballot."

Huh...:4ness::4lucas:
First of all, nobody made an Argument like this in the past few days or even weeks in here, so why even bring this up? Just to spite People with counter-arguments? Not cool.

Second of all, you can NOT compare a base game character with a DLC character.

If someone doesn't know a character in the base game of Smash Bros, they are not going to go "Well, I don't know that one character in a 50 character roster, so I'm not going to buy him!" They are going to buy the game and simply settle on a different character.

With DLC though? If someone doesn't know a character, chances are high that he/she is NOT going to purchase that character. It wouldn't do Nintendo any favors, so they are more likely to pick really popular characters that are known around the globe. It's a totally valid argument.

Seriously, we all want Shantae in Smash and we all are optimistic, but we also have to stay realistic. And seriously, don't just dismiss any counter argument, no matter how valid it is, especially if noone brings it up and you just cockily dismiss it for the heck of it. It does nothing but make us look like ignorant fanboys.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
First of all, nobody made an Argument like this in the past few days or even weeks in here, so why even bring this up? Just to spite People with counter-arguments? Not cool.

Second of all, you can NOT compare a base game character with a DLC character.

If someone doesn't know a character in the base game of Smash Bros, they are not going to go "Well, I don't know that one character in a 50 character roster, so I'm not going to buy him!" They are going to buy the game and simply settle on a different character.

With DLC though? If someone doesn't know a character, chances are high that he/she is NOT going to purchase that character. It wouldn't do Nintendo any favors, so they are more likely to pick really popular characters that are known around the globe. It's a totally valid argument.

Seriously, we all want Shantae in Smash and we all are optimistic, but we also have to stay realistic. And seriously, don't just dismiss any counter argument, no matter how valid it is, especially if noone brings it up and you just cockily dismiss it for the heck of it. It does nothing but make us look like ignorant fanboys.
I do see what you're saying and I can agree,
I will say this, if you had no idea who Shantae was and saw this face on the Smash DLC page:

Would you not be just a little bit interested in who she is or what makes her so important that Nintendo chose this character to be in Smash?

Ok dude, that was pretty immature, wait are you directing it towards Thigolf there?

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Okay dude, that was pretty immature, wait are you directing it towards Thigolf there?
(All the counterarguments, really. I knew that my "argument" was essentially pointless and isn't one that holds water in any way.

And means nothing now that the ballot's over.)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think I found two good voice actresses. Makiko Omoto, and Ayana Sakura.
Huh, not bad suggestio-...Wait, Makiko Ohmoto? As in the woman who voices....KIRBY? AND NESS? AND VIRIDI? AND LYNDIS?! YES, PLEASE!!!:grin::grin::grin: You know, a while back, I actually suggested Keiko Utoku, the woman who sings the Japanese opening theme to Sonic CD to be Shantae's JP voice actress.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
hopefully a release date for HGH is released during Indiecade.

(I knew I was missing something)

Last edited:

Thigolf

Smash Cadet
I do see what you're saying and I can agree,
I will say this, if you had no idea who Shantae was and saw this face on the Smash DLC page:

Would you not be just a little bit interested in who she is or what makes her so important that Nintendo chose this character to be in Smash?
Oh, of course I would! And I'm sure a lot of people would too. I'm just not sure if Nintendo would take the risk - they might not be sure if her charme and fun potential moveset would be enough to make Smash Players who aren't familiar with her still buy her. That's just speculation on my part, though. But I digress, this isn't why I wrote the post in the first place.

My point is: There are a lot of counterarguments out there that want to prove that Shantae isn't possible or plausible, with some of them, like "She's too sexy!" being really silly. But beyond those arguments, there are some that, whether we like it or not, bring up some good points why Shantae might not be included. Now, I'm not saying that we can't argue against those, because in most cases, there is still an discussion to be had - I'm just asking for people not to simply shrug those counter arguments aside with a rude "Pfff, those haters again!" attitude, but discuss them nice and calmly, without provoking or mocking the other party and stiring up a fire.

I just want everyone to be nice and civil to eachother. Because no matter who we are rooting for, in the end, we're all the same - fans of Smash. ^__^

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The Shantae demo just updated with a new level. And we finally get the HGH version of Burning Town. Complete with actual burning town.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Huh, not bad suggestio-...Wait, Makiko Ohmoto? As in the woman who voices....KIRBY? AND NESS? AND VIRIDI? AND LYNDIS?! YES, PLEASE!!!:grin::grin::grin: You know, a while back, I actually suggested Keiko Utoku, the woman who sings the Japanese opening theme to Sonic CD to be Shantae's JP voice actress.
Yes! I'm outta here. :4sonic:

I think Shantae and Sonic could be I'M OUTTA HERE buddies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You enjoy it?
Yep, I have an injury in my left hand so I had to use the analogue stick with my index finger but that's not the game's fault. It features Shantae running in to town as apparently Risky bombards it with Canonballs stuffed with Tinker Bats. I think it's the intro stage.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yep, I have an injury in my left hand so I had to use the analogue stick with my index finger but that's not the game's fault. It features Shantae running in to town as apparently Risky bombards it with Canonballs stuffed with Tinker Bats. I think it's the intro stage.
Huh, kinda like the GBC original.

Hope your hand gets better. I hope you learned your lesson about 20XX.
image.jpg

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Why do I think of the Battletoads pause screen when that beat that starts playing when dancing comes on?

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
From what I can see from the HGH update:

-Scuttle Town segment + music added
-The "READY" at the beginning of each level is much flashier now
-Added damage animations for animal transformations
-Added idle animation for Shantae at 1HP
-Major shortcut at Waterfall blocked off
-I think there are slightly different enemy placements for Waterfall (don't quote me)
-I think they're teasing that the "rhytmic transformation" mechanic from Shantae GBC could return (probably reworking it too), when you hold the dance button, the background starts thumping in a rhythm. Quick transformations are staying tho.
-Iris Out transitions on level completion.

Also Scuttle Town is fun, I think they realized that Pirate's Curse Scuttle Town may be too much for newcomers so they added water instead of bottomless pits. Works great as an intro stage.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've heard that the most recent demo of Half-Genie Hero was bad. That's certainly not the case, is it? Is there anything wrong with the game so far?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I've heard that the most recent demo of Half-Genie Hero was bad. That's certainly not the case, is it? Is there anything wrong with the game so far?
Even though I have the demo, I can't give you an honest answer mainly because my computer wasn't powerful enough to play it at full speed in the first place (my computer is OOOOOOOOLLLLLD).

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Even though I have the demo, I can't give you an honest answer mainly because my computer wasn't powerful enough to play it at full speed in the first place (my computer is OOOOOOOOLLLLLD).
Kinda where I am. Really wish that we'd be able to get the demos on other platforms.

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
I just played the new stage and it's fine to me. The music is great and the game is beautifully animated. Who said it was bad? It's awesome so far.

Top Bottom