• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
So...instead of just 3, we might get as many as 6? Is that what some people are getting at now?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Shantae is just a cute character in general. It doesn't really matter what outfit it is.

CrazyCog

Smash Rookie
Just finished a 100% run of Pirates Curse and I am more hyped then ever. It is interesting all of she final smashes I have heard for Shantae. My favorite is the Brainscratchcomms suggestion of what happened during the final boss. It is quite satisfying shooting a giant metal ball into someone's face.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If Shantae gets a amiibo, through smash or not, I don't think I'll by her. Maybe. I dunno. I have too many amiibos. XD

FrontsideMisty

Smash Rookie
NNID
FrontsideMisty
This is great news! The shantae amiibo is pretty much going to come out some day. Can't wait to get one.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Off topic, but AWWWWW
image.jpg

This is from a Japanese Metroid manga, obviously with a less serious tone than a majority of Metroid's manga has (this is the source of RIDLEY ATE HER FREAKING PARENTS after all)

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You crazy!
I know. I only have 6 amiibos! XD. That's nothing compared to some people but I just feel I should only buy ones I really really like / mean a lot to me. TBH it's probbably going to be any future 3rd party amiibos or Ryu if he is made well.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

While I am happy with the roster I came up with, there are more characters I think would be interesting in a Arcade fighter...

Playable fighters:
-The Kid (I Wanna Be The Guy)
-Warrior name is actually unknown (Nidhogg)
-Vigilante Thief (Towerfall)
-Yooka & Laylee
-Miriam (Bloodstained)
-Sugimoto (Tempura of The Dead)
-Louise Lightfoot (Jump n' Shoot Attack)
-Aban Hawkins (1001 Spikes)

Arcade Mode Boss:
-Original Boss
-Golden Freddy or Nightmare (Five Nights at Freddy's)
-Dr. Fetus (Super Meat Boy)

You guys have any ideas?

Last edited:

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet
View attachment 78846
While I am happy with the roster I came up with, there are more characters I think would be interesting in a Arcade fighter...

Playable fighters:
-The Kid (I Wanna Be The Guy)
-Warrior (name is actually unknown. (Nidhogg)
-Vigilante Thief (Towerfall)
-Yooka & Laylee
-Miriam (Bloodstained)
-Sugimoto (Tempura of The Dead)
-Louise Lightfoot (Jump n' Shoot Attack)
-Aban Hawkins (1001 Spikes)

Arcade Mode Boss:
-Original Boss
-Golden Freddy or Nightmare (Five Nights at Freddy's)
-Dr. Fetus (Super Meat Boy)

You guys have any ideas?
How about
Zetterburn from rivals of aether
A runbow rep
Beck from mighty no.9
Meatboy from super meat boy
Steve from minecraft
Freddy from Fnaf
Anja from the upcoming indivisible
Goat simulator goat(as a joke character)
And I'm not sure if you would like this choice but maybe a guest character that didn't originate from a game yet has an indie game (best choices would be avgn for angry video game nerd adventures or ruby rose in the upcoming RWBY: Grimm Eclipse game)
Thoughts?
Also how about the return of bloody Marie from skullgirls as a boss

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
How about
A runbow rep
Beck from mighty no.9
Steve from minecraft
Freddy from Fnaf
And I'm not sure if you would like this choice but maybe a guest character that didn't originate from a game yet has an indie game (best choices would be avgn for angry video game nerd adventures or ruby rose in the upcoming RWBY: Grimm Eclipse game)
Thoughts?
>Sure
>YES
>Eh...
>Eh...
>I don't think Minecraft counts as an Indie anymore (Mojang is owned by Microsoft)
>FNAF reps work better as a boss IMO
>YES
>NO.
>They're essentially liscensed games, so no.
>Sure.

Last edited:

Misfortunedarkrai

Smash Cadet
>Sure
>YES
>Eh...
>Eh...
>I don't think Minecraft counts as an Indie anymore (Mojang is owned by Microsoft)
>FNAF reps work better as a boss IMO
>YES
>NO.
>They're essentially liscensed games, so no.
>Sure.
Thanks for the opinion. Glad you liked some of my ideas. (Specifically zetterburn and Bloody Marie)
Also, any idea's for secondary characters (basically more characters to represent certain series)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Thanks for the opinion. Glad you liked some of my ideas. (Specifically zetterburn and Bloody Marie)
Also, any idea's for secondary characters (basically more characters to represent certain series)
I had an idea that secondary characters could work as "assist" characters. Before every match, you're given a random assist character, who is basically a second super move. It's weaker, but easier to execute.

For almost every character on the roster, there is an "assist" counterpart, based on another main character in their game. For example: Reimu Hakurei is playable, but Marisa Kirisame is an assist. Peacock is playable, but Ms. Fortune is an assist, etc.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I know. I only have 6 amiibos! XD. That's nothing compared to some people but I just feel I should only buy ones I really really like / mean a lot to me. TBH it's probbably going to be any future 3rd party amiibos or Ryu if he is made well.
I currently have 18 amiibos all thanks to awesome friends and luck, but if Shantae ever got an amiibo or a figure I would buy right away as I always wanted a figure of her besides she can be up there with my Rosalina and Wii Fit
amiibos XD

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
My idea is less of a Smash Bros clone, which are usually mediocre, at best, but more of a traditional 2D Arcade fighter.
I get what you are saying with the track record for Smash clones, but I really do think a platform fighter like Smash Bros would be a better fit for an indie crossover fighter than a traditional 2D arcade fighter.

Just about every big indie character you said you would like to see included comes from a platforming game, where you can run back and forth, jump high, control your position in the air, and in general have very free movement. Platformers stress spacing and timing your jumps and attacks to take out smaller enemies that serve more as obstacles than opponents. That means no complicated, multi-input attack sequences. Thus none of these indie characters have combos as part of their native repertoire.

In traditional 2D fighters, movement is much more constrained, and much of gameplay revolves around chaining together attacks into long combos, often facilitated by intentionally combo-friendly gameplay mechanics (for example cancelling end lag on a move if the next move is input just as it connects).

When you play Shantae, or Shovel Knight, or Cave Story, or even I Wanna Be the Guy, you are running and jumping freely and trying to space and time a wide range of simple moves just right. That would translate beautifully into a platform fighter like Smash Bros, because controlling those characters would feel genuine to their original movement and abilities. The core of their gameplay could essentially be ported straight from their source games, with adjustments made to fit the new environment.

On the other hand, I think it would feel very strange playing as Shantae or Shovel Knight or Quote, but only being able to walk slowly back and forth or do limited jumps while fishing for complicated martial arts style combos. That's just not how they move or operate in their source games. To me at least, it wouldn't feel like I was really playing as that character, but rather as a 2D fighting game character loosely based on them.

And as for the track record of platform fighters, Rivals of Aether looks very well designed and has received a lot of positive initial feedback, so it is definitely possible for non-Smash games in that genre to get it right. Playstation All Stars shouldn't scare us away from ever revisiting the sub genre. (I never played that game by the way, was it really that bad?)

~

Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject. I would be interested to mess around with a traditional 2D fighter featuring indie characters, but I would be stoked through the roof to play a Smash-style platform fighter with that cast. Your mockup looks great by the way.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Playstation AllStars isn't necessarily bad. It had a lot of good ideas, even some that Smash should have taken(turning off stage hazards, for instance). But the primary mechanic for scoring points is flawed. Building up specials can be tiresome and if you miss with one, it's a waste of time.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I get what you are saying with the track record for Smash clones, but I really do think a platform fighter like Smash Bros would be a better fit for an indie crossover fighter than a traditional 2D arcade fighter.

Just about every big indie character you said you would like to see included comes from a platforming game, where you can run back and forth, jump high, control your position in the air, and in general have very free movement. Platformers stress spacing and timing your jumps and attacks to take out smaller enemies that serve more as obstacles than opponents. That means no complicated, multi-input attack sequences. Thus none of these indie characters have combos as part of their native repertoire.

In traditional 2D fighters, movement is much more constrained, and much of gameplay revolves around chaining together attacks into long combos, often facilitated by intentionally combo-friendly gameplay mechanics (for example cancelling end lag on a move if the next move is input just as it connects).

When you play Shantae, or Shovel Knight, or Cave Story, or even I Wanna Be the Guy, you are running and jumping freely and trying to space and time a wide range of simple moves just right. That would translate beautifully into a platform fighter like Smash Bros, because controlling those characters would feel genuine to their original movement and abilities. The core of their gameplay could essentially be ported straight from their source games, with adjustments made to fit the new environment.

On the other hand, I think it would feel very strange playing as Shantae or Shovel Knight or Quote, but only being able to walk slowly back and forth or do limited jumps while fishing for complicated martial arts style combos. That's just not how they move or operate in their source games. To me at least, it wouldn't feel like I was really playing as that character, but rather as a 2D fighting game character loosely based on them.

And as for the track record of platform fighters, Rivals of Aether looks very well designed and has received a lot of positive initial feedback, so it is definitely possible for non-Smash games in that genre to get it right. Playstation All Stars shouldn't scare us away from ever revisiting the sub genre. (I never played that game by the way, was it really that bad?)

~

Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject. I would be interested to mess around with a traditional 2D fighter featuring indie characters, but I would be stoked through the roof to play a Smash-style platform fighter with that cast. Your mockup looks great by the way.
While what you say is true, it's an argument that somewhat fails to hold up when you consider that Mega Man, Arthur (Ghosts & Goblins), and Zero, who are all platforming characters, and even characters who don't fit the bill at all, such as Phoenix Wright, are in traditional fighters such as Marvel vs Capcom, with actual fighting games movesets made for them.

While the moves and combos in this game (that is hopefully made one day, can we please get this buzzing on social media) could be heavily based on items and abilities of each character, I wouldn't mind any liberties being taken, such as Shantae having a basic punch for her light and normal attack, with her hair whip being the strong attack.

Not to mention that many of the platforming characters, or just characters in general, in Smash Bros have movesets simply made up for them, sometimes with little to no affiliations with their game, especially in Fox's and Captain Falcon's case.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Apparently the same artist who made that Shantae Palutena made a Shantae Fit Trainer.
image.jpg

I know it's done out of not enough space being on the page but it looks like she lost an arm

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How about
A runbow rep
Beck from mighty no.9
Steve from minecraft
Freddy from Fnaf
Thoughts?
Would love too see rwby rep.( oct. 23 is season 3)
I sold also like to see Hatty from battle block theature and Pip for Adventure of Pip

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
While what you say is true, it's an argument that somewhat fails to hold up when you consider that Mega Man, Arthur (Ghosts & Goblins), and Zero, who are all platforming characters, and even characters who don't fit the bill at all, such as Phoenix Wright, are in traditional fighters such as Marvel vs Capcom, with actual fighting games movesets made for them.

While the moves and combos in this game (that is hopefully made one day, can we please get this buzzing on social media) could be heavily based on items and abilities of each character, I wouldn't mind any liberties being taken, such as Shantae having a basic punch for her light and normal attack, with her hair whip being the strong attack.

Not to mention that many of the platforming characters, or just characters in general, in Smash Bros have movesets simply made up for them, sometimes with little to no affiliations with their game, especially in Fox's and Captain Falcon's case.
I just wanna preface my response by saying that one of the nice things about this thread is being able to have lively and civil discussions with reasonable people, so thank you for giving me that pleasure lol.

I should clarify the point I'm making. I am not arguing that a 2D fighter for indies couldn't work, or even that it couldn't work well. Rather I am making the case that the style of movement and combat in a platform fighter is much better suited to faithfully representing platforming characters, and is thus a better fit for an indie crossover fighting game.

The Mega Man example you brought up is a good illustration of this point. I'd say they did a pretty good job portraying Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom. In fact it's hard for me to imagine them doing much better than that in a 2D fighter.

So let's compare.

Here is Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom (all timestamped for you and ready to go):

Now here is Mega Man in Smash Bros (I would have used the super hype Mega Man matches from MLG last night but they aren't uploaded anywhere I could find yet):

Now compare those with some random gameplay from Mega Man 2:

If Mega Man looks more authentic in Smash Bros, that goes double for actually controlling him. When you play Mega Man in Smash you really feel like you are playing Mega Man from the original games. Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom is neat, but it's not the same. The fundamental reason for the difference is that Smash Bros provides an engine where Mega Man can move and attack platforming style just like he does in his original games, whereas Marvel vs. Capcom does not.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea, and an indie crossover 2D fighter could be really cool. For the reasons above though I really think platform fighter is the way to go.

Oh and another important reason I didn't talk about before: we are in desperate need of more great platform fighters. There are already tons of great traditional 2D fighters, but as far as platform fighters go it's basically just the Smash Bros series and probably Rivals of Aether when it comes out. That's crazy. Platform fighter is such a great genre, and yet it's so under-explored. Seeing a big, innovative, indie crossover game in that style would almost be even more exciting for me than Shantae appearing in Smash.

I guess ultimately it comes down to personal preference, and I have no contention with you if you just happen to like the idea of a 2D fighter better. But those are my reasons for being all on board for a platform fighter instead.

EDIT: fixed the timestamps

EDIT: fixed the timestamps again (for real this time)

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Here's the winning Rottytops outfit! Honestly, she looks great! I knew we could count on the fans to pick the best outfit.

can't wait for the r34 of it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Here's the winning Rottytops outfit! Honestly, she looks great! I knew we could count on the fans to pick the best outfit.

can't wait for the r34 of it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Alright! My vote won!! Oh and new backer build this week!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom