• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
You forgot these

I honestly think they went way too far into the Competitive Scene for this one. But that's just my thoughts. :drshrug:
Not really, it's more going into how an actual character is most likely developed and balanced to properly fit on the roster.

This is probably the best Shantae moveset so far.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thanks for that.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
12 days to go or 11 if it was Japan lol. Less than 2 weeks away.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The recipe for Shantae, based on comic book heroines.

2 Teaspoons of Wonder Woman
image.jpg

1 cup of Spider-Gwen
image.jpg

3 Gallons of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
image.jpg

pleasereadthiscomic

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
This was just posted on Nintendo's youtube channel.
Yay!

Speaking of those interviews, I don't really know how Oddworld: Abes Oddysee (New n' Tasty!) counts as an indie title.

Edit: Nevermind, Just Add Water, the developers, is an indie studio. They also worked on I am Bread.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Can someone please make Austin trying to do Shantae's fighting stance animation a gif?
image.jpg

PLEASE

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I find it weird that despite Shantae getting more backers and raising more money than Shovel Knight on Kickstarter, she's considered the "obscure" one between them.

Quietly logs onto Tumblr to start trouble

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I find it weird that despite Shantae getting more backers and raising more money than Shovel Knight on Kickstarter, she's considered the "obscure" one between them.

Quietly logs onto Tumblr to start trouble
It's not that weird. Shovel Knight KS asked for much less money, hitting all of its stretch goals before Shantae's initial funding goal. Also SK sells very well for an indie. It's based off of limited data, but it's not even all that unlikely that SK is close to or outselling the entire Shantae series.
I don't find it hard to believe. Steam Spy has Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse at an estimated 86,476 and 9,921 owners respectively. Shovel Knight has an estimated 254,541 owners on Steam. It's also not any kind of hard data, but since release, Shovel Knight appears in the top 20 eshop charts more often.

There's a lot of missing info, mind you: The DRM-free PC version of Shovel Knight, Xbox One version of Shovel Knight, Sony Platform versions of both series... then you've got Shantae on both iOS and Gameboy, but the GBC game sold famously poorly and I wouldn't know where to get the other data.

I'm not saying it with 100% certainty, but again, it's not all that unlikely. I don't want to fan the illusory competition between both of them though.
I don't really like it when people keep comparing the two. As a fan of both, it's kind of a drag.

EDIT: Not trying to be a detractor. Again, I'm a fan of both series. I own all of the games and even bought Risky's Revenge twice just to support them.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It's not that weird. Shovel Knight KS asked for much less money, hitting all of its stretch goals before Shantae's initial funding goal. Also SK sells very well for an indie. It's based off of limited data, but it's not even all that unlikely that SK is close to or outselling the entire Shantae series.
I don't really like it when people keep comparing the two. As a fan of both, it's kind of a drag.

EDIT: Not trying to be a detractor. Again, I'm a fan of both series. I own all of the games and even bought Risky's Revenge twice just to support them.
Indeed. For some reason, most people tend to treat this stuff like a political campaign, where they tend to expect everyone is going to either like one character or another... and that simply isn't always the case. We are all fans of different characters.

I myself would love to see certain characters join the fray.. I'm not just a fan of a single series, or character lol.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
It is honestly hard to say anything about the ballot, because sales figures don't always speak for number of votes. I mean if sales figures were what we were looking at, Minecraft has them both beat. But you don't see very many people casting votes on a Minecraft character, do you? On top of that, it is hard to say who is going to get in. Because the ballot isn't just numbers. It is numbers AND consideration from the big man himself. So it is all up in the air really.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It is honestly hard to say anything about the ballot, because sales figures don't always speak for number of votes. I mean if sales figures were what we were looking at, Minecraft has them both beat. But you don't see very many people casting votes on a Minecraft character, do you? On top of that, it is hard to say who is going to get in. Because the ballot isn't just numbers. It is numbers AND consideration from the big man himself. So it is all up in the air really.
Yep. For some reason a lot of people do try to look at sales figures don't they? That is usually irrelevant when it comes to stuff like this... Heck look at Earthbound. Originally, that game sold POORLY over in the US. (Of course it became a cult classic later on down the road... but the first smash put Ness into the mix before this.)

The ballot isn't just numbers. It's actually fans. Fans wanting characters they adore to become fighters in Super Smash Bros.

Sakurai is obviously in this equation.. but so are the fans. I mean we are the whole point of this ballot in the first place XD

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yep. For some reason a lot of people do try to look at sales figures don't they? That is usually irrelevant when it comes to stuff like this... Heck look at Earthbound. Originally, that game sold POORLY over in the US. (Of course it became a cult classic later on down the road... but the first smash put Ness into the mix before this.)

The ballot isn't just numbers. It's actually fans. Fans wanting characters they adore to become fighters in Super Smash Bros.

Sakurai is obviously in this equation.. but so are the fans. I mean we are the whole point of this ballot in the first place XD
Well... the fans ARE the numbers, which was my point. It isn't just about what we want, but about what Sakurai will accept. But yeah. Sales figures are not always a deciding factor. It certainly helps. But isn't what ultimately locks a decision.

I mean the best example of this is Lucas. The only real sales for that were in the Japan market, and not the US market. Sure a small portion of people likely imported. But not everyone wants to go through that process just to play the game, nor can some afford it. Lucas' return was purely based on fan demand. Same goes for Roy. He is largely unpopular in the Fire Emblem fanbase itself. But in Smash, he is iconic and beloved. Both have had similar issues, but it was ultimately the fans that kept them alive in Smash. And chances are that any character that makes it in will be the same case.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I'm not talking about the Smash Ballot at all, I'm talking about both games alone.

I don't hate Shovel Knight, in terms of characters, music, etc. I just don't like the game itself. Mainly due to the overall unoriginality of the game, and mainly living off the "retro" factor (to the point where it brings in the freaking Battletoads, which have been gone since the early 90's). When I played it Shovel Knight, I did have fun, but it got to the point that I stopped seeing Shovel Knight onscreen and saw Mega Man (with some Scrooge McDuck in there), mainly because of the gameplay and control, and fully realized what the game's hype was running off of. Like I said: The "retro" factor.

When I played Shantae, I had a "first-time" experience all over again. I knew it was based on games like Zelda, Castlevania, and Metroid. However, it felt extremely different from both, in terms of gameplay, control, tone, and setting. I could classify it as it's own unique game. (I can also do the same for Cave Story.)

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well... the fans ARE the numbers, which was my point. It isn't just about what we want, but about what Sakurai will accept. But yeah. Sales figures are not always a deciding factor. It certainly helps. But isn't what ultimately locks a decision.

I mean the best example of this is Lucas. The only real sales for that were in the Japan market, and not the US market. Sure a small portion of people likely imported. But not everyone wants to go through that process just to play the game, nor can some afford it. Lucas' return was purely based on fan demand. Same goes for Roy. He is largely unpopular in the Fire Emblem fanbase itself. But in Smash, he is iconic and beloved. Both have had similar issues, but it was ultimately the fans that kept them alive in Smash. And chances are that any character that makes it in will be the same case.
Sakurai is still fairly limited in his choices though, in a number of ways... For one, He still has to abide by what he receives from the ballot. For another thing, Sakurai can't just throw in one of his usual wacked out characters.. (Looking at you Wii Fit Trainer).. I mean, just to understand what I mean with this, lets pretend for a second WFT never made it into the game... and Sakurai added her in as DLC out of the blue for the fighter ballot.. You could imagine how angry most would be... as not many fans would have had her in mind, and not many would have considered her Smash worthy. For that matter, it wouldn't be a good choice business-wise, as considering this is Paid DLC... chances are, a wacked out character wouldn't sell very well..

Let me just pull the Ballot rules I fixed up a few days ago.

"1. The character has to have originated from a video game

That rule is arguably one of the most notable, and important. Infact, it was the only rule specified for the ballot. This rule basically feels like a safety net put up by Nintendo. They knew they would probably get a thousand troll characters, and get suggestions for non-video game characters, so they probably set this up.. lol.
So basically this rule means:

A. Characters who originated in anime/manga media aren't eligible. (Naruto, Goku, Ash Ketchum, Inuyasha, etc.)

B. Characters who originated in movies/animated movies aren't eligible. (Shrek, Wreck It Ralph, etc... and yes. Ralph is based on Videogames.. but he himself originated in an "animated movie".. thus, he isn't eligible.)

C. Characters who originated in cartoons aren't eligible. (Spongebob, Mickey Mouse, etc.)

D. Any other characters who originated outside of gaming in general aren't eligible. (Storybook/book characters, Real people, etc.)

2. The character has to sell
Obviously, this wasn't "mentioned" as a rule, but it's definitely something that would be a key factor, no matter what.. as it would ultimately decide whether the character was worth the time or not. This, is arguably probably one of the main reasons the ballot was started to begin with..: So Nintendo could get an idea of what characters were heavily popular, and which ones didn't receive votes at all. Sorta like a "which characters have profit potential" sort of thing.
So basically a few things flesh out from this rule:

A. The character must have a notablely large fanbase. (Again, this is based off of the "is the character profitable?" question. If a character has a large/decent fanbase, they would probably be more interested in the idea... luckily, the nature of the ballot in general helps with this aspect anyway, as the ones at the top will probably receive the most attention.)

B. The character must work as a fighter. (Of course, even though this is fan service, the character still has to flesh out as a fighter. The reason for this, is simply this: No matter how much a character is requested in the ballot, if they don't play well, or work horribly as a fighter, that could affect their profit potential. Some "might" buy them just to have the character, though others might see that "this character sucks" aspect as a turn off.)"

That second rule is especially important, as it is HEAVILY tied to the fans, and the fanbases in general. Unless you're a completionist, and are going to buy every single fighter DLC that is released... most fans/gamers wouldn't buy DLC for characters they didn't like. (Again, why Nintendo set this up in the first place. They would much rather get an idea from the fanbases themselves, rather than try to do a leap of faith, and fall flat.)

While sales figures for games themselves, and for characters aren't that big of a player... their potential for profit as a fighter in Smash (whether people would buy them) is unfortunately. (And anyway, Sakurai and his team wouldn't waste dev time on a character/on characters that wouldn't sell at all... as that stuff does cost time and money lol)

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Sakurai is still fairly limited in his choices though, in a number of ways... For one, He still has to abide by what he receives from the ballot. For another thing, Sakurai can't just throw in one of his usual wacked out characters.. (Looking at you Wii Fit Trainer).. I mean, just to understand what I mean with this, lets pretend for a second WFT never made it into the game... and Sakurai added her in as DLC out of the blue for the fighter ballot.. You could imagine how angry most would be... as not many fans would have had her in mind, and not many would have considered her Smash worthy. For that matter, it wouldn't be a good choice business-wise, as considering this is Paid DLC... chances are, a wacked out character wouldn't sell very well..

Let me just pull the Ballot rules I fixed up a few days ago.

"1. The character has to have originated from a video game

That rule is arguably one of the most notable, and important. Infact, it was the only rule specified for the ballot. This rule basically feels like a safety net put up by Nintendo. They knew they would probably get a thousand troll characters, and get suggestions for non-video game characters, so they probably set this up.. lol.
So basically this rule means:

A. Characters who originated in anime/manga media aren't eligible. (Naruto, Goku, Ash Ketchum, Inuyasha, etc.)

B. Characters who originated in movies/animated movies aren't eligible. (Shrek, Wreck It Ralph, etc... and yes. Ralph is based on Videogames.. but he himself originated in an "animated movie".. thus, he isn't eligible.)

C. Characters who originated in cartoons aren't eligible. (Spongebob, Mickey Mouse, etc.)

D. Any other characters who originated outside of gaming in general aren't eligible. (Storybook/book characters, Real people, etc.)

2. The character has to sell
Obviously, this wasn't "mentioned" as a rule, but it's definitely something that would be a key factor, no matter what.. as it would ultimately decide whether the character was worth the time or not. This, is arguably probably one of the main reasons the ballot was started to begin with..: So Nintendo could get an idea of what characters were heavily popular, and which ones didn't receive votes at all. Sorta like a "which characters have profit potential" sort of thing.
So basically a few things flesh out from this rule:

A. The character must have a notablely large fanbase. (Again, this is based off of the "is the character profitable?" question. If a character has a large/decent fanbase, they would probably be more interested in the idea... luckily, the nature of the ballot in general helps with this aspect anyway, as the ones at the top will probably receive the most attention.)

B. The character must work as a fighter. (Of course, even though this is fan service, the character still has to flesh out as a fighter. The reason for this, is simply this: No matter how much a character is requested in the ballot, if they don't play well, or work horribly as a fighter, that could affect their profit potential. Some "might" buy them just to have the character, though others might see that "this character sucks" aspect as a turn off.)"

That second rule is especially important, as it is HEAVILY tied to the fans, and the fanbases in general. Unless you're a completionist, and are going to buy every single fighter DLC that is released... most fans/gamers wouldn't buy DLC for characters they didn't like. (Again, why Nintendo set this up in the first place. They would much rather get an idea from the fanbases themselves, rather than try to do a leap of faith, and fall flat.)
Okay, well, it was unnecessary to make a wall post about a bunch of rules you compiled. I'm not exactly uneducated about how Sakurai chooses the roster. On top of that, I was pretty much agreeing on the fact that he was working with limited options. Iwata even said when they introduced the ballot that they are taking each suggestion "into consideration", which is what I meant by the numbers not being the only deciding factor. Sakurai has to work with what he feels is best fit out of the ballot. Not just the immediate top ballot candidates. Though it would make sense that he would be lurking near the top of the list for his choices. That is all I'm saying.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Okay, well, it was unnecessary to make a wall post about a bunch of rules you compiled. I'm not exactly uneducated about how Sakurai chooses the roster. On top of that, I was pretty much agreeing on the fact that he was working with limited options. Iwata even said when they introduced the ballot that they are taking each suggestion "into consideration", which is what I meant by the numbers not being the only deciding factor. Sakurai has to work with what he feels is best fit out of the ballot. Not just the immediate top ballot candidates. Though it would make sense that he would be lurking near the top of the list for his choices. That is all I'm saying.
Heh, sorry. I tend to go into detail in my posts. I probably should have put the rules thing into spoilers... whoops XD

I wasn't attacking you if that's what it looked like XD. Was more or less just adding on to the subject. (That wasn't even a wall. If ya wanna see a wall, look back towards some of the posts where I was addressing detractors.. lol)

I'm just a fast typer, so making long messages isn't that big of an issue for me. I will be putting the rules I mentioned in that one post in spoilers though.. as that does feel necessary now that you point it out.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Heh, sorry. I tend to go into detail in my posts. I probably should have put the rules thing into spoilers... whoops XD

I wasn't attacking you if that's what it looked like XD. Was more or less just adding on to the subject. (That wasn't even a wall. If ya wanna see a wall, look back towards some of the posts where I was addressing detractors.. lol)

I'm just a fast typer, so making long messages isn't that big of an issue for me. I will be putting the rules I mentioned in that one post in spoilers though.. as that does feel necessary now that you point it out.
No worries. I'm just chilling here mostly because Skype has stopped working for a majority of people, myself included. And I figured I'd go to one of my favorite hang outs. The Shantae thread. Because she is my number 1 choice on the DLC waiting list right now.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I just realized something, there's only 12 days left in the ballot...

I wish I could vote for Shantae but I voted for Agitha for stupid reasons, but that's a pipe dream so I'm changing camp. Shantae for the win!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I just realized something, there's only 12 days left in the ballot...

I wish I could vote for Shantae but I voted for Agitha for stupid reasons, but that's a pipe dream so I'm changing camp. Shantae for the win!
It's like me.
I wanna vote Shantae (And partially K. Rool) but Bandana Dee is claiming my vote and holding it until he's in.
It's just a matter of taste. :drshrug:
oh boy

THIS SHOULD BE FUN
Iz good. :4pacman:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Just for fun, and to get off the subject of the ballot for a moment, here's two questions if you want to awnser one of them.

1. If there was a Shantae Cartoon/Comic, a comedy-filled action adventure, what is a plot that could possibly happen ? (That isn't based on events in the games)

2. What superhero (or villain) would you want to see Shantae fight against? What would be the odds?

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Just for fun, and to get off the subject of the ballot for a moment, here's two questions if you want to awnser one of them.

1. If there was a Shantae Cartoon/Comic, a comedy-filled action adventure, what is a plot that could possibly happen ? (That isn't based on events in the games)

2. What superhero (or villain) would you want to see Shantae fight against? What would be the odds?
I would like a story that involves her Genie Mother. We've been hearing about her for three games, so I say it's time that we see her appearance. Though it could happen in Half-Genie Hero.

As for a hero or villain, I'm not sure.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Anyone see an animated series with Shantae having a similar format to Steven Universe? And though I wouldn't mind seeing the games' events adapted, I could see several plotlines happening that develop the characters and seeing the relationships between them, and exploring the kind of world Sequin Land is. I would love to see some inspired from the original Arabian Nights like Sinbad or Ali Baba.

Top Bottom