• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Please don't make me think of Shantae going down the same path as Crash... those were dark days... too dark.
That was mainly universal's fault.

Believe it or not, a very similar siutation happened with Walt Disney and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, the character that came before Mickey.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
That was mainly universal's fault.

Believe it or not, a very similar siutation happened with Walt Disney and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, the character that came before Mickey.
Yeah... Poor Oswald. Didn't exactly live up to his name, the poor guy XD

Anyways.... We're slowing reaching the end of it. I am still dying to know how the winner/s will be announced >_<.. My excitement is building

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If Shantae doesn't get in, I wouldn't really care.

At least I know that Shantae managed to accomplish something. She gained more popularity, and even made it to Japan.

Who knows, maybe Half-Genie Hero will have a multiplayer Battle Mode. (8 Playable characters, gotta do something multiplayer with them.)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Yeah. I myself, have really enjoyed all of the Smash Campaigns. The artwork shared across all threads was great, and the enthusiasm really kept everything alive for me and kept me occupied through this long drought of no information.. lol.

Whatever the character/s end up being.. I bet they'll be fun.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I will instantly main K. Rool if he has the voice from the TV show.

We don't have many singers on the roster.

kappa

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Memes that need to happen if Shantae does get in Smash:

>Samus and Shantae share a strong mother/daughter relationship

>Ganondorf thinking she's a Gerudo and Sonic thinks she's Shahra

>Shantae's mad at Wario for not being paid for Shantae NAB.

>Pit and Dark Pit fight for Shantae's attention, with Shantae not really caring for neither

>Ryu and Mega Man use Capcom publishing the GBC original as an excuse for pretty much everything

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
>Peach dancing with Shantae

>Charizard and harpy Shantae having a flying contest

>Shantae dancing when Falcon says "Show me your moves." and when she finishes he says "YES!"

>Wii Fit Trainer having yoga practice with Shantae.

>Diddy and Donkey Kong looking confused with they see Shantae in her monkey form.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
>Peach dancing with Shantae

>Charizard and harpy Shantae having a flying contest

>Shantae dancing when Falcon says "Show me your moves." and when she finishes he says "YES!"

>Wii Fit Trainer having yoga practice with Shantae.

>Diddy and Donkey Kong looking confused with they see Shantae in her monkey form.
That last one tho

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

At least I know that Shantae managed to accomplish something. She gained more popularity, and even made it to Japan.

Who knows, maybe Half-Genie Hero will have a multiplayer Battle Mode. (8 Playable characters, gotta do something multiplayer with them.)
Well, Shantae is my top pick. My second pick is Krystal, so...I don't know what I'll do if neither of them make it. Sakurai better make the characters that get in fun if they're not either of those.

That being said. When Smash was still in development and we didn't know who all was getting in, Lucina was my top pick. I wanted her more than any other newcomer and anyone that got in after her was icing on the cake. Needless to say, she made it in. Maybe Shantae will be 2 for 2.:laugh:

Morbi

Scavenger

Indeed, without a lot of the people campaigning for Shantae I would never have had the temptation to try her games; however, as of current, I am going to purchase Half-Genie Hero and if I enjoy it, which I am sure I will, I can move on to her older titles. Holy mother of run-on sentences. I digress, Shantae is a great character and I do not need her to be playable to affirm that. I obviously want her to become playable, but if she is not, I still have a lot of future content to look forward to.

Mighty Minotaur

Smash Cadet
Off-Topic: Ok. Despite this not being Shantae related at all, I feel this is still completely necessary to post here.
For any Freedom Planet fans here, cuz' I know there are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrNDCcfSTC0
COME ON AND SLAM! XD (This guy deserves a gold medal...)

On-Topic: I don't see why there's so much pessimism about Shantae's chances. I personally feel her chances are really really good. Doubly as good with her Japanese fanbase growing due to the upcoming localization. I can't think of that many other character's besides her that are really really good ideas. Not to mention, there's going to be like, 4-5 characters added from the ballot. So imo it's pretty likely we'll get her.

The roster I'm hoping to get:
  • Shantae
  • Banjo & Kazooie (I had actually never played a B&K game until recently, I got it on Xbox Live Arcade. I really want him now, but not as much as Shantae.)
  • Chrom (It doesn't hurt to dream...)
  • Isaac
  • Inkling

The roster I think we'll get:
  • King K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Shantae
  • Banjo & Kazooie (Wild card, as it all depends on Nintendo and Microsoft being willing to work together)
  • Rayman (Another Wild card, as Ubisoft's relationship with Nintendo has been questionable lately)
Sorry for being such an infrequent poster. I keep up with this on my IPad, though.

P.S Am I the only one who really wishes that Bowser had his voice from Bowser's Inside Story rather than having Godzilla noises?

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Off topic, but I decided to play Bomberman '94 (Fantastic Turbografx/PC-Engine game, by the way) alongside my younger brother, since neither of us have played Bomberman in years.

We completely forgot how fantastic of a multiplayer game Bomberman is. I always prefer playing multiplayer video games on the couch with friends and family over playing online.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Off topic, but I decided to play Bomberman '94 (Fantastic Turbografx/PC-Engine game, by the way) alongside my younger brother, since neither of us have played Bomberman in years.

We completely forgot how fantastic of a multiplayer game Bomberman is. I always prefer playing multiplayer video games on the couch with friends and family over playing online.View attachment 74300
Ah... Bomberman multiplayer. That's some fun chaotic stuff! I've not played Bomberman in a long time. Although I've beaten a good deal of them.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice

We completely forgot how fantastic of a multiplayer game Bomberman is. I always prefer playing multiplayer video games on the couch with friends and family over playing online.View attachment 74300
When it came to konami bomberman was the only one I gave any type of f*** about. He is awesome in my opinion

Thigolf

Smash Cadet
Strictly looking at 3rd Party Characters that people really seem to want, I think Shantae is in pretty good spot - most of the other Third Party characters just have a ton of obstacles in their path.

Banjo-Kazooie are owned by Microsoft. While that doesn't knock them out immediately, I have a really, REALLY hard time imagining Nintendo paying and sharing Money for the DLC to/with one of their biggest rivals in the console market. I just can't see it happening, unless MS does allow Rare to make a Banjogame on 3DS or some other exclusive stuff, but that doesn't seem to likely either.

Snake - Kojima and Konami are on bad Terms right now. Seeing how Snake was only in Brawl because Kojima and Sakurai are buddies, I'm not sure if Sakurai wants to support the Company that basically kicked his friend out and removed his Name of all the boxes of the games he made. Nintendo probably has the last word, so when they say Sakurai has to, I guess he has no choice, but yeah, I'm not so sure about him either.

Bayonetta is too sexy. Yeah. Kind of ironic to say it, as this is being held against Shantae permanently, huh? :p Bayonetta is just completely built around her sexyness. She freaking STRIPS in her games. I simply can't see her fit in without heavily bumping up the Age Rating. Some might say "Well, don't strip her then", but Sakurai likes to do rather faithful interpretations of a character (when he doesn't include them very last Minute, that is), so stripping (hah) her character of the things that defy her just to make her fit into Smash doesn't seem like something he would want to do - it would be like adding Pikachu to the roster and giving him no electric attacks.

Then there's also characters like Rayman (a fav of mine) - he's pretty dang popular over here, but he doesn't seem to be too popular in Japan. What worries me about him isn't the lack of popularity in Japan, but the popularity combined with the cost that Ubisoft might charge for Nintendo to use him. Maybe they want a lot of Money for him and it isn't profitable enough when a whole Region doens't really care much for him? That's a HUGE speculation though, I think he has a good change of getting in.

And then there's the two Shs, the Indie characters: Shovel Knight and our beloved Shantae. I think both of them have a good shot. Shovel Knight was INSANELY popular early in the Ballot, so if they did some early picks, he has pretty dang high Chance of getting in, even though his lack of a japanese presence and him losing a lot of steam towards the end. Shantae on the other Hand started off slowly and gathered a ton of steam towards the end. I think Shantae has a Advantage, though: Japanase Appeal. I wouldn't go as far and say that she has a big fanbase in Japan - she really doesn't - but the fact that her games have only been quietly released via Steam so far and her still having even some high profile japanese fans speaks volumes. Now that her games are getting released in Japan, I can see her getting really, really popular (heck, she's already picking up!). Maybe Sakurai saw how beloved she is over here, recognized her appeal to japanese People and said "Yep, I think they'll like her, let's put her in!" But even if the Smash 4 DLC gets released and she's not one of the chosen characters, I can see her getting so much popularity that she'd be an insanely high contender for Smash 5. A Bonus for her and Shovel Knight are also the fact that Wayforward and Yacht Club probably won't ask for much Money to get their characters into Smash (if at all), since it gives them a lot of exposure, so that is probably a plus and does reduce the risk of losing money in case Japan really does not care much for them (which I don't think is the case anyway)

But yeah, just my two cents. I think Shantae has a good shot of getting in third party wise, but there are quite a few Nintendocharacters that are even bigger possible "threats". Heck, maybe we won't even get a single 3rd Party Character! But yeah, we'll see what happens. :D

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Bomberman has always been a fantastic game. It doesn't really matter what version you play, as long as it isn't the gritty reboot or off branch versions made by random companies. The game really holds up. I personally really loved the Jetters game, along side that Bomberman Live title.

That being said, if Shantae or Bomberman either one made it, I'd be extremely ecstatic. Inkling and Isaac would also be great IMHO. As far as characters like Shovel Knight, Banjo, K. Rool, Ridley, Rayman, Bayonetta, and so forth go, I'm indifferent. It is pretty much those 4 I mentioned above that are my do or die choices as far as DLC is concerned. But if something else pops up that is unexpected and I end up liking it (like Ryu ended up being for me) I'll be pleasantly surprised.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shantae, Rayman, and Shovel Knight are probably the only third parties without "my franchise is dead and my inclusion could lead to a revival" as fuel for their hype train.

(I would add Snake, but with Konami's inhouse dev teams taking charge with MGS6 and Kojima's team gone, MGS might as well be dead)

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Back for two things.

1. I got a new job that is likely going to eat up most of my time. So i'll ultimately be here even less.

2. Really glad Shantae is finally getting a release in Japan.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

The TV show "I Dream of Jeannie" turned 50 recently, so Gunmouth on Twitter made this cute crossover.

Is it legal for a character to be this adorable?!

MY HEART CANNOT TAKE ALL THIS CUTE

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Have another picture to satisfy your adorableness-related needs. :drshrug:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I enter this thread to rejoin the campaign, and I see a ton of fanart.

In the words of myself: Too much cuteness!

Top Bottom