• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

CFood

Smash Cadet
I pretty much have no comment on this. However I do have one on this fan art.

Shantae: Behold me! The half-genie hero of time!
Link: (in his head) Bruh...
Oh cool that's coming up again. I requested KuroTamashisan to do that forever ago.

SPEAKING OF, I half commissioned and half requested another one from LinkerLuis. (I'm supporting him through patreon, so my suggestions tend to be considered more often than not) In all actuality LL came to me and was like "What about Shantae in Link's tunic" and I was like "OMG no way, I requested someone else to do that forever ago but they never pulled through, that would be amazing."

I also requested that other person to do Link in Shantae's clothing, for the humour effect, but oh well.

Anyways, here we have Shantae in Link's garbs. (He went with the red tunic for obvious reasons, but there are alternate colour swaps as well)

http://linkerluis.deviantart.com/art/Half-Genie-hero-of-time-560338805

I'm still pushing for Shantae in Smash. But honestly, I haven't been playing Smash.

Who knows, maybe these pictures of Link and Shantae crossovers may be sending a slight message for Shantae in Smash?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Be it Pit, Link, or even Mario, Shantae looks good crossing over with Nintendo characters. I don't know what it is about her design that meshes well with just about any Nintendo game with a few exceptions.

Okay, maybe not Samus (at all), because nothing can cross over with Metroid (from Nintendo), it's too different from anything else in Nintie's lineup.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

So KOU from Inti Creates and Matt did an interview together. Matt seems pretty busy at TGS!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Oh, a physical release in Japan?! Awesome! This should finaly get Shantae the attention she deserves in the east. Hopefully it does well enough for Japan to also want her in Smash (even though the release date is after the ballot, maybe the marketing will be enough, bu that is just wishfull thinking).

Also, hi again, I have been gone for a while, But I have been following the thread on my phone, so no need to update me.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Oh, a physical release in Japan?! Awesome! This should finaly get Shantae the attention she deserves in the east. Hopefully it does well enough for Japan to also want her in Smash (even though the release date is after the ballot, maybe the marketing will be enough, bu that is just wishfull thinking).

Also, hi again, I have been gone for a while, But I have been following the thread on my phone, so no need to update me.
Considering how :roymelee: was in Smash before he was even in a game, I can see it happening.

Shantae is gathering even more steam in Japan thanks to the reveal at TGS, and maybe Nintendo wants to push it, considering how it's a Wii U & 3DS release, and them wanting to push Indies more.

Let's be honest, Shantae will be big in Japan.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Shantae's coming to Japan... wonderful news! That's what she needs! Anyways, since I can't be drawing on Miiverse(yep, I'm still banned...) I've been playing Call of Duty: Black Ops II and yelling humorously every time I die, "Shantae 4 Smash!" Not sure if it'll do any good but I'm having fun with it lol.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
With all this talk of a new Indie Girl in town, especially a western character, I'm not sure the local Shrine Maiden will be pleased.
image.jpg

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Has Tohou ever released on a console?

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Did you guys here about Konami. I don't have a link but apparently something's up with them. So that's like Bomberman, Snake, and Simon out of the 3rd party competition. Leaving only Layton, Shovel Knight, Rayman, and everyone's favorite half genie hero, Shantae. I do feel bad for those three fan bases above though. But with this and her soon release in Japan AND her current popularity AND WayForward supporting her... her chances aren't looking as grim as they were last month. Pretty good I'd say...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Did you guys here about Konami. I don't have a link but apparently something's up with them. So that's like Bomberman, Snake, and Simon out of the 3rd party competition. Leaving only Layton, Shovel Knight, Rayman, and everyone's favorite half genie hero, Shantae. I do feel bad for those three fan bases above though. But with this and her soon release in Japan AND her current popularity AND WayForward supporting her... her chances aren't looking as grim as they were last month. Pretty good I'd say...
Oh yeah, the rumor.

I had a good laugh.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
Idk oiff its tru but I damn hope it is.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
By the way, Ken Sugimori retweeted the "Matt Bozon is coming to TGS" tweet by Intergrow.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Sakurai's gotta be convinced by now.
Of course he will notice it. A man willing to actually GO to Japan to support their character instead of just living it to someone in Japan is a sign of a true designer/leader/creator/person. Doesn't Mr. Miyamoto come to America at least once a year to support his series over here?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
But he appears in the Pirate's Curse credits in the city of lost souls.
Considering how Wobble Bell's owner admits to neglecting the poor dog if you choose not to turn the puppy over to her, it's not a surprising end result.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
WOW. PogChamp, much?
I wanted to see a drawing of Shantae x Bubsy.
NO. NO.
For now, let's wash out that mental image with a little more work...
STATS
Size: Near that of :4pit:
Weight: :4link:
Ground speed: :pichumelee:
Air speed: :4megaman:

NEUTRAL GAME
Jab: Rapid hair whip, no finisher. And by rapid, I mean it can be as rapid (1.1% per hit, literally 1* knockback)
Dash: Elbow dash from GBC. (Deals 3-8% based on timing and 20-40 knockback at 70°)
Forward tilt: Left straight, right straight. Can't be spammed. (Solid 3% per punch, plus 10 or so Sakurai-angle knockback)
Up tilt: Shantae plants her hand down and pulls off Sonic's u-air from a handstand. (2% and 6.9% at 90°, in that order; 10* then 20.4 knockback)
Down tilt: Same as jab, but not as rapid. (2.2% and 14.5 knockback, Sakurai angle)

SMASH ATTACKS
Forward smash: Stands her ground while charging, then spins and lunges forward using the Side Kick from Pirate's Curse. The more you charge, the further Shantae kicks, ranging from 1 to 1.5 stage builder blocks. (13.5-17% based on timing, 111.1-128 knockback at 11°)
Up smash: Shantae generates a flame that grows as she charges. When she actually attacks, Shantae punches the ground with the flame stuck in her hand, creating a sparkling pillar of flame that reaches up to 1.5x her height. (4 rapid hits of 1.625%, then one bigger hit worth 11%; rapid hits worth 3 to 1* knockback, while big hit has 100 knockback, all from 110° to 90°)
Down smash: Mario's breakdance, kind of. (Front hit 18% and 104.3 knockback at 30°, back hit 10% and 98.9 knockback at 120°)

AERIALS
Neutral: Her GBC Twirl, but not flung wayforward. Duh. (First five hits are 1.4% and 5* knockback, but 5% and 17.857 regular knockback at 70° right after)
Forward: Shantae's better...uh, semi-spike, for lack of a better term. She quickly judo chops a step ahead of herself, and that's all there is to it. (7-frame sweetspot is 10% and 100 knockback at 285°; anything else is only 8% and 45 knockback at 27°)
Back: Triple-roundhouse. (2.2%, 3.3%, and 4.4%; 30*, 30*, then 69 knockback, all at 159.371°)
Up: Shantae does this pose while generating a spark above her hand. (First hit is 5% and 20* points of "guiding" knockback; second hit does 6.4% and 75 knockback at 105°)
Down: Drill Kick! What more can I say? (Seven hits worth 1% and 10* knockback, followed by 3% and 45.678 knockback; all is 315°)

LET'S WRASSLE!
Grab: Shantae spins her ponytail and throws it like a lasso. This can be charged for half a second, after which her grab becomes 1.2x the usual length.
Pummel: Punches the target's gut. Or mouth, in certain cases. (1.05%)
Forward throw: Hip checks the target. (10%, 77.7 knockback, 30°, you know the drill.)
Back throw: Wraps the target up in her hair, then releases them like a top. (9.5%, and 56 knockback at basically a reverse Sakurai angle)
Up throw: Wheeee, Flip Kick~... (12%, 99 knockback at 90°)
Down throw: Elbows the target to the floor. (10%, 68 knockback at 77.7°)

ATTACKING WHILE PRONE
Floor attack (Face-down): Shantae legsweeps around herself. (5.7% on each side, with 66 knockback at either 45° or 135°)
Floor attack (Face-up): Curls back, then leaps up and kicks. (6.1%, 42 knockback at 10°)
Floor attack (Trip): Steps back up and creates small sparks on both sides. (4.444% each side, 70 knockback at any Sakurai-based angle)
OW THE EDGE: Shantae hops back on and unleashes a haymaker. (8%, 65 knockback at 5°)

NEUTRAL SPECIAL: MAGIC BELLY DANCE
Shantae basically goes into her iconic belly dance mode! Pressing a direction, or Attack, or even Shield (Whichever works) turns her into various animals, granting her different attacks for up to three seconds - providing you don't use it TOO much.
  • Pressing Special again actually leads to Shantae throwing out a quick fireball, AKA the Flash Bolt. (Deals two rapid hits with nothing more than 2% each, then a slightly bigger hit; this one deals 8% and 55 knockback, namely at 67°)
  • Shield will make Shantae become a crab. Attacking in Crab mode lets Shantae "slap" with her pincers, crippling enemies' shields. (The actual pincers deal only 2% not counting shield damage. If you don't land this hit, it'll create a small "water hitbox" to push back foes anyway. Neat!)
  • Become a monkey by hitting Grab or Attack. Attack, at this point, denotes Monkey Claw (12.48%, 78 knockback at 45°). Pressing Special will instead make Shantae use Monkey Bullet (Ranges from 9% and 100 points of Sakurai-angle knockback at the start, to 5.5% and 43.21 knockback at 70° after 16 frames).
  • Hitting Up will make Shantae quickly dart up into Harpy mode (5-9% depending on timing; 35-60 knockback at 90°), only to glide for a few seconds. Flapping your wings with Jump will create a small windbox effect worth 20* knockback at the Sakurai angle. Oh, and you can dart again with any attack button and L-Analog (Same as the first dart, but at whichever angle you choose). But that sends you into freefall, so be careful!
  • Pressing Back literally makes an Elephant out of our favorite half-genie, and trades her jumping abilities for extra weight and power. Press Attack or Jump to hop in place and Stomp (17.8% and 100 knockback at any Sakurai-esque angle, depending on placement), or press Special to Charge ahead 2 SBBs (14% and 111.111 knockback at 33.3°).
  • Pressing Down lets Shantae turn into the Spider. Shoot a Stunner Web with Attack or Special. (8%, stunning on hit, tripping without actually hitting, and 25.075 knockback at the Sakurai angle if you actually score a hit. What more could you ask for?!)
  • Last but not least, the Mermaid is mapped to Forward on L-Analog. Tapping Attack or Special launches the usual Mermaid Bubbles (5% each, along with 18 knockback at the Sakurai angle).
Anyway, the transformations last 1.25 seconds at maximum usage rate, with each usage in a row cutting half a second. Do make good use of your transformations, but spice up your attack pattern if you want them in top shape.

SIDE SPECIAL: PIKE BALL THROW
This is Shantae's (non-holdable) charge projectile; holding Special will increase the Pike Ball's spin as you charge. Each second after the first adds another Pike Ball, for a total of the full three after two seconds. Once you let go, Shantae flings whatever Pike Balls she's gathered 3 SBBs ahead of herself. (Each Pike Ball does 4-7%, with 87-123.3 knockback at 45°)

UP SPECIAL: FLOAT MUFFIN
Shantae holds this bizarre, candy-balloon-tasting treat up high - and flies up with it for some reason. After 1 second of flight, Shantae takes a nibble and tosses it aside, leaving her in special fall. The actual flight can also be canceled into Shantae's aerials. (This move does no damage. Who would have thought?)
Well apparently I learned potential Japanese names of the characters Shantae is called Shanti, Risky is called Risukyi Boots and Rottytops is called Lottitops. lol
Lal. That's just the romanization. :4sonic:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shovel Knight had a special bossfight based on the Battletoads.

Wayforward made Double Dragon Neon.

Double Dragon and Battletoads had a crossover, as they were both beat-em-ups.

Shantae x Shovel Knight platformer confirmed.

Top Bottom