• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
(Psst, the Japanese release is a Physical Release)
Whoops. I of course ment a physical release for NA/Outside of Japan... I was actually thinking that was going to be obvious since it was brought up earlier, and the reason I mentioned it in the first place... oh well. lol

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Whoops. I of course ment a physical release for NA/Outside of Japan... I was actually thinking that was going to be obvious since it was brought up earlier, and the reason I mentioned it in the first place... oh well. lol
Maybe if that RetroVGS kickstarter does well...
image.jpg

I'm joking around, while that'd be cool, It'd be better to have a a physical release of the game on the 3DS first. The Wii U version is being released in Japan, too. I think a "Crossbuy" thing may be involved.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm extremely glad to see Shantae finally getting a proper Japanese release! And a physical release of all things, amazing. Hopefully the game will be successful out there:)

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 73791
Baby steps. :/

Personally, Shantae, Commander Video, and Quote have the highest chances, if we're keeping Japan in mind. Bit. Trip has been released in Japan, Cave Story was born in Japan, and Shantae...

Along with Wayforward's affiliation with Inti Creates, Ken and Ko's fanart, and Intergrow releasing some of Wayforward's games in Japan, You can't sit and tell me that Shantae won't appeal to a large amount of the Japanese gaming audience, especially the "otaku" crowd.
View attachment 73794
The arguments you have for shantae are good . people at gamefaqs can def use your help when it comes to her.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shantae's finally getting a Japanese release? Cool, can't wait to see what their thoughts on it are.
I just hope it gets some gaming media attention (Famitsu) and marketing there, especially from Nintendo. I'm not sure how Intergrow markets, though...

The arguments you have for shantae are good . people at gamefaqs can def use your help when it comes to her.
I believe I've already dumped several talking points on this forum, such as her being a new Female Protagonist, the coverage in Nintendo Power, good Reviews, her cameo in WarioWare DIY, etc.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I heard Shantae is finally heading to Japan and Matt has "secret" Shantae business in Japan things are really looking good right now for Shantae :)

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
No idea. I know they revealed more about Hyrule Warrior Legends.
I admit I wouldn't be surprised that some true final pre-ballot charaters get announced for release on the 30th as Lucas, Roy and Ryu got released 2 months after Mewtwo but anything is possible mainly hoping our girl makes it

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Physical Shantae games again, eh? I would TOTALLY double dip for Half Genie Hero if they did a physical version.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
You know Japan will love Shantae. She already has somewhat of a cult following.
image.jpg

i don't understand how people can legitimately hate Shantae

LOOK AT HER IN THIS CUTE SWEATER

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
Question, do you guys think in the Japanese version of PC Shantae will keep her english voice clips or will they be re-voiced by a Japanese VA?
Personally I think they'll keep her english voice, but at the same time it would be kinda interesting to hear how a Japanese Shantae sounds like.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Question, do you guys think in the Japanese version of PC Shantae will keep her english voice clips or will they be re-voiced by a Japanese VA?
Personally I think they'll keep her english voice, but at the same time it would be kinda interesting to hear how a Japanese Shantae sounds like.

Good Question.

Shantae and the rest of the characters don't have any real lines, and all of the dialouge is through text, not speech. so I'm not sure they'd go out of their way to change something so insignificant.

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911

Good Question.

Shantae and the rest of the characters don't have any real lines, and all of the dialogue is through text, not speech. so I'm not sure they'd go out of their way to change something so insignificant.
Maybe, but I can't help but imagine the salt it would bring if it had full Japanese voice acting (I know there's no way that's happening but I'm still imagining it).

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Speaking of Shantae's voice in Pirate's Curse, I had the thought that if Cristina Vee is unavailable to voice Shantae in Smash if she gets in, that Nintendo could do what they did for Sonic and take the voice clips from Pirate's Curse along with anything else she's recorded for Shantae and use them, I wanted to see if you guys have any opinion on this, because considering the amount of voice clips in Pirate's Curse alone, I'd be fine either way,

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of Shantae's voice in Pirate's Curse, I had the thought that if Cristina Vee is unavailable to voice Shantae in Smash if she gets in, that Nintendo could do what they did for Sonic and take the voice clips from Pirate's Curse along with anything else she's recorded for Shantae and use them, I wanted to see if you guys have any opinion on this, because considering the amount of voice clips in Pirate's Curse alone, I'd be fine either way,
They would most likely do that.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
They could very easily do that, should Vee not wanna/can't voice act. They've got all the 'hoos' and 'has' of her attacks, and the usual fighter stuff.

But let's not forget they also have "Ret-2-Go!" in there.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
By the by, when I expressed ignorance over Shantae's apparent "bad temper", I did happen to forget an incident in Risky's Revenge where, upon realizing his tasty meal would cost him, Squid Baron opts to "Dine and ditch!!" to which Shantae grumpily responds with, "That guy is so dead."

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Wow! Shantae's officially coming to Japan?! Awesome! I can only imagine the reception! BTW, in the chance that Shantae DOES get a Japanese voice actor, who do you think it should be? Believe or not, but one day, I was bored and decided to hype myself up by watching the JP/EU intro to Sonic CD, "You Can Do Anything". The (female) performer for the song, Keiko Utoku was actually suggested by someone in the comments to be the voice of Shantae. What do you all think? Personally...I'd love to see that happen. Heck, even now, listening to this:
I can't stop imagining Shantae singing it!

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Wow! Shantae's officially coming to Japan?! Awesome! I can only imagine the reception! BTW, in the chance that Shantae DOES get a Japanese voice actor, who do you think it should be? Believe or not, but one day, I was bored and decided to hype myself up by watching the JP/EU intro to Sonic CD, "You Can Do Anything". The (female) performer for the song, Keiko Utoku was actually suggested by someone in the comments to be the voice of Shantae. What do you all think? Personally...I'd love to see that happen. Heck, even now, listening to this:
I can't stop imagining Shantae singing it!
Do you mean the singer actually singing and doing voicework for Shantae or repeating "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior"? :p

Personally, until the games actually have full voice acting, I don't think the voices need to be changed, as the dialouge is mainly told through character busts and text, not speech and actions from the characters.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Do you mean the singer actually singing and doing voicework for Shantae or repeating "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior"? :p

Personally, until the games actually have full voice acting, I don't think the voices need to be changed, as the dialouge is mainly told through character busts and text, not speech and actions from the characters.
The female actually singing.:p

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
By the by, when I expressed ignorance over Shantae's apparent "bad temper", I did happen to forget an incident in Risky's Revenge where, upon realizing his tasty meal would cost him, Squid Baron opts to "Dine and ditch!!" to which Shantae grumpily responds with, "That guy is so dead."
She also did kinda murder a puppy.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Well, this was a pleasant surprise. Remember when Shovel Knight's physical copy in the West and his amiibo made people think it meant curtains for every other indie character's ballot chances? Shantae now has physical merchandise in the East, from a Western-based company that normally sticks to digital sales. That really significant. Your move, Yacht Club Games.

WayForward has been playing their game very smartly. While most indie devs have been shouting "hey vote for our character for the ballot", Bozon has been using it just to promote Shantae in general and not much else; the fanbase and hype have been building on their own as the awareness spread, and WayForward has been leisurely riding it to the point where suddenly they're able to put out physical merchandise in a foreign country that, before the ballot, barely knew of Shantae's existence. If the Pirate's Curse physical copy sells well in Japan, WayForward could take a massive step up in the gaming industry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom