• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
Wait- I'm extremely sorry, his name was Lloyd.
I'm a freaking dunce. Sorry, dude. :facepalm:
It's alright, we all make mistakes. I was just wondering because if a Mii costume with the name Isaac was out the Isaac for DLC thread would've known about, and I hadn't seen anything about, lol.

Ok now on to Shantae talk, how far into production is Half Genie Hero?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
It's alright, we all make mistakes. I was just wondering because if a Mii costume with the name Isaac was out the Isaac for DLC thread would've known about, and I hadn't seen anything about, lol.

Ok now on to Shantae talk, how far into production is Half Genie Hero?
I wish we knew... The new update was pretty minor. (Bonelegs is freaking awesome, though.)

Edit: Inb4 anyone points out that Shantae is now playable in Watch Quest.

I recently e-mailed Wayforward with a question bringing up the subject of them possibly considering producing merchandise in the future, so that may give us something to talk about when they respond.

Last edited:

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
I wish we knew... The new update was pretty minor. (Bonelegs is freaking awesome, though.)

I recently e-mailed Wayforward with a question bringing up the subject of them possibly considering producing merchandise in the future, so that may give us something to talk about when they respond.
I'd be down with that, I'd gladly buy some Shantae shirts and figures.

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
I know I'm late but I think Shantae x Mega Man would be cool. But not as lovers, more like best friends. She's a genie... he's a robot. They would be pretty cool as like besties. Plus, there both 3rd party. Idk wtf I'm talking about...

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I know I'm late but I think Shantae x Mega Man would be cool. But not as lovers, more like best friends. She's a genie... he's a robot. They would be pretty cool as like besties. Plus, there both 3rd party. Idk wtf I'm talking about...
We all want crossovers here on the internets.

On a serious note, and not exactly Shantae related, am I the only one who thinks a Mega Man x Touhou crossover would be pretty cool?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Alright, Wayforward has responded to my email, asking them a question related to the possibility of them making merchandise.

ahem,

"Hi Ricky,

Thanks for writing in. This is something we have thought about in the past, but have never moved forward to the point where we pinned down specific manufacturers or distribution methods. It is something we continue to think about though, so it's good to know that fans are interested in seeing more WayForward merchandise. :)

Thanks again,

-Aaron"

So it's an idea considered, but has never been fully done. Personally, I think it may be due to Wayforward not making enough money in order to do something like this.

What are your thoughts? What merchandise would you like to see, and who would you like to produce it?

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Alright, Wayforward has responded to my email, asking them a question related to the possibility of them making merchandise.

ahem,

"Hi Ricky,

Thanks for writing in. This is something we have thought about in the past, but have never moved forward to the point where we pinned down specific manufacturers or distribution methods. It is something we continue to think about though, so it's good to know that fans are interested in seeing more WayForward merchandise. :)

Thanks again,

-Aaron"

So it's an idea considered, but has never been fully done. Personally, I think it may be due to Wayforward not making enough money in order to do something like this.

What are your thoughts? What merchandise would you like to see, and who would you like to produce it?
Figures... and I'm mean good figures. The kind you shell out a lot of bucks so you can set them up to just look at kind of figures. That would be cool.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
I think we just lost a shantae supporter. On gamefaqs someone made a post saying I need a new most wanted cause they feel shantae has no chance. Not for nothing it sux seeing that cause it just discourages me . part of me doesn't care about the ballot anymore cause all the characters that are "popular" claimed by others a lot I don't even like at all .

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Here's a moveset idea for y'all.

Shantae Smash moveset ideas:

BASIC MOVEMENT and WEIGHT

(Idle) – Fighting Stance followed by some primping over time.

(Near Edge) – Shantae leans over and looks down a bit while holding her hair.

(Ground) – Shantae has normal running speed, good traction on the ground, less than average stopping power, and has a very slow crawl.

(Dash) – Shantae’s dash is extremely quick despite her normal running speed.

(Air) – Shantae’s jump is average, but her mid-air jump (which is based on her dungeon complete animation from the Shantae seires) is extremely floaty and gives her lots of control in the air at the cost of speedy air movement. She can go straight into her mid-air jump from the ground by pressing down and jump to mix-up her aerial approach, but this will take away her mid-air jump until she lands again. Also, by holding down the jump button after the ascent of her mid-air jump, she can slowly float downward, allowing her to mix-up her falling speed or gain more horizontal range.

(Weight) – Shantae is lighter than most human type characters. She gets knocked around very easily, and is naturally a fast faller. Her jump height is slightly above average and she is capable of floaty mid-air movement with the mid-air jump.
--------------------------------------------------
Shantae’s NORMAL ATTACKS

(Standard A combo) - (1st Attack) – Shantae starts off with a very quick, but weak, low kick with her front leg.
(2nd Attack) – Shantae follows up with a quick front side kick to high height from her back leg.
(3rd Attack) – Shantae ends the combo with a quick reverse spin kick to mid height. The same kick attack from Shantae PC.

(Dash Attack) – (Elbow Dash) - Shantae thrust forward elbow first. This attack hits once for solid damage and ok diagonal forward/upwards knockback. On hit or shield hit, Shantae recoils a bit from the impact and the end lag is reduced. However, if she misses, she’ll do a ukemi roll and there’s more end lag

(Up Tilt) - (Flip Kick) – Shantae does a flip kick that knocks foes into the air. This attack barely lifts foes with low damage of the ground, but can send foes with higher damage up much more. This attack also ends while Shantae is mid-air, so she can follow up with aerial attacks, fast fall to the ground, or mid-air jump depending on whats best for the situation.

(Side Tilt) - (High Hair Whip) – Shantae does a quick hair whip that hits high and can reach close-mid range. The start up, active, and end lag on this move is very short, so she can hit close opponents with low damage over and over. It has little knockback, light flinching, and can be angled upwards to punish jump ins. It also deals more damage at the tip.

(Down Tilt) - (Low Hair Whip) -Shantae does a quick hair whip that hits low and can reach close-mid range. The start up, active, and end lag on this move is very short, so she can hit close opponents with low damage multiple times. The damage, knockback and flinching is reduced compare to the higher version, so she can also hit opponents at slightly higher damage multiple times too. She can even crawl forward a bit between hits to add pressure or back a bit to space for the tip.

(Side Smash) - (Hair Whip) – Shantae does a mid ranged, mid height, and more powerful hair whip. It’s does great damage and the knockback is high, plus the very tip of the attack increases the damage and knockback. The attack can also be charged for even more damage and knockback and can tilt upwards to punish jump backs and opponents on platforms above or very slightly downwards to disrupt recovery attempts that go over ledges. A great attack from a distance, and perfect for punishing your foes retreats. Has some start up and end lag, but very short active.

(Up Smash) - (Spin Kick) - Works in a very similar way to the Up Tilt, however, Shantae will keep spinning in mid-air similar to Sonic's Up Smash. Also she will not end this move in the air. Instead she will return to the ground. Has medium end lag.

(Down Smash) - (Super Pike Ball) – Shantae uses Super Pike Ball to surround herself with 3 very fast spinning spiked balls. The longer its charged, the faster it spins and the more hits it does. This long lasting, multi-hit attack does great damage and even greater shield damage. It pulls the opponent in on hit, it punishes dodge attempts, and the last hit does decent knockback. It does have tons of end lag, so if the opponent is not hit or if the shield doesn’t break, then Shantae could easily get punished.

(Neutral Air) - (Twirl Attack) – Shantae does a violent multi-hit twirl attack from Shantae GBC that ends with an upward hair whip. The final hit does good damage and knockback.

(Forward Air) - (Mid-Air Hair Whip) – Shantae does a quick mid-air hair whip that can reach mid range. It’s speed and range is somewhere between the tilt and smash versions of the hair whip. It also does more damage and knockback at the tip.

(Back Air) - (Reverse Hair Whip) – Shantae quickly swings around to attack with her hair whip. The reach is the same as F-Air, but it has faster start-up and end lag at the cost of less damage and knockback. It also does more damage and knockback at the tip.

(Up Air) - (Mid-Air Flip Kick) – Shantae does a mid-air flip kick that shares the same properties of the up tilt. Using it the first time in mid-air will send Shantae higher up, but every use after that will not until she lands.

(Down Air) - (Twirl Dive) – Shantae does a downward angled spiral attack that hits multiple times and ends with a thrust kick for good damage and a diagonal spike. It has large active, and could easily miss the stage. Should be used with caution.
-------------------------------------------------
Shantae's SPECIAL ATTACKS

(Neutral Special) - (Fireball) – Shantae shoots a fireball from her fingertips that travels close, mid, or long range at a slow, average, or fast speed for weak, ok, or good damage and ok knockback depending on how long the attack was charged. This attack is fire element and the charge can be stored by shielding. It can be released anytime by pressing B again afterwards. Can’t charge in mid-air.

(Side Special) - (Exit Candy) - Shantae uses an Exit Candy to teleport horizontally. This move is great for moving in close or to get away quickly. Virtually no lag, you can easily combo this move if you use it on the ground. However, if used in mid-air Shantae will go into 'helpless falling.'

(Down Special) - (Storm Puff) – Shantae uses a Storm Puff and it floats up above Shantae and stays in place in mid-air. Shantae can hit the storm puff to move it to any direction and it’ll drift until it slows down and stops in place again. Once it’s fully charged, it’ll drop lightning very quickly then disappear. The lightning is multi-hit with ender, has an electrical effect, does huge damage and huge knockback to anyone that gets hit by it, including Shantae. Same in the air.

(Up Special) - (Float Muffin) – Shantae uses a Float Muffin to bounce a very high distance. There’s no attack properties to this move and it can only be used once until Shantae lands again, but it won’t put Shantae into a fall state. Perfect for recovery and ground to air follow ups whenever Shantae launches her foe high into the air from the ground.

FINAL SMASH - (Belly Dance) - Dancing! Seriously, use the dance mini game from the first Shantae game on GBC as the Final Smash. This would implement her belly dancing perfectly(besides using her taunts)! When players start Shantae’s Final Smash she’ll jump up on a stage in the background(similar to the Pokemon Trainer’s platform in Brawl) and begin bouncing back and forth as dance commands start to scroll up the right side of the screen. The commands would be the same ones as in Shantae GBC: Up, Down, Left, Right, B, and A. Every time the player inputs a command correctly a gem will be thrown on the stage. The gems do high damage and launch if they hit an opponent. The more successful inputs, the bigger the gems get. After the Final Smash ends Shantae will return to the same spot where she was when she activated the Final Smash in a similar way like Palutena.
Shantae's GRABS

(Tether Grab) - (Hair Grab) - Shantae can grab opponents and the stage edges with her hair.

(Pummel) - (Knee Jab) - Shantae jabs her knee into her opponent. Does only 1% damage but can be done very quickly in succession.

(Forward Throw) - (Hip Bump) - Shantae holds her opponent slightly off the ground and hip bumps them with her arms held up. This throw does average damage but doesn't launch very much.

(Up Throw) - (Hair Throw) - Shantae whips her head back and throws her opponent straight up. Good launch but not much damage.

(Back Throw) - (Hip Bump) - Shantae moves her opponent behind her with her hair and then hip bumps them with her hands closed together in front of her face. This throw does less damage than the forward throw but has very good launch.

(Down Throw) - (Dance) - Shantae throws her opponent at her feet and does a few quick dance steps on top of them before stomping, sending them slightly above her.
Shantae's TAUNTS

(UP TAUNT) - (Item get pose) - Shantae does a fist pump.

(SIDE TAUNT) – (Primping): Shantae makes adjustments to her bra, pants and hair.

(DOWN TAUNT) - (Dancing) – DANCE MODE: Shantae enters dance mode. The controls mimics the dance controls from the first Shantae game. Once you start dancing, you’ll have to press any direction, A or B button on 4/4th beat to keep dancing or miss a beat, shield, dodge, grab, or get hit or grabbed to stop and end dance mode.

SUPER SECRET TAUNTS!?!

Performing a certain series of dance steps after activating Dance Mode will make Shantae do a special taunt. After activating dance mode, press…

Down, Right – Shantae transforms into a monkey and taunts.

Down, Left – Shantae transforms into an elephant and taunts.

Down, A – Shantae transforms into a spider and taunts.

Down, B – Shantae transforms into a harpy and taunts.

Down, Down – Shantae transforms into a mermaid and taunts.

Down, Up, Up – Shantae transforms into a tinkerbat and taunts.

Down, Up, A – Shantae spawns a heart holder and heals 10%.
----------------------------------------------------
The secret taunts are just a fun idea. Not sure if they would be added.
The down taunt could also simply be Shantae does a random dance pose out of the six she had from Shantae GBC.

Most of this moveset was thought up by Mike Harvey. I have changed the Up Smash, the Side Special, taunts(one of them), and made up the throws.
I personally don't want Shantae to use any Pirate Equipment. She's a half-genie, not a pirate. She only used pirate equipment because she had too.
The equipment she uses in PC belongs to Risky Boots. Shantae won't be using pirate stuff in HGH. And seeing as we're getting a 'Risky Mode' I say Risky will be using them. Makes sense.
Also, I'm not against Shantae using transformations as attacks. I just think it would look odd to see her transform instantly. But that's probably just cause I love Shantae GBC so much lol.
But you generally use transformations to explore rather than fight(not always true of course. Elephant form says hello lol).

But this is just my two bits on the table. As always, #Shantae4Smash #VoteForShantae

If y'all want to see more check out the link:
https://wayforward.com/wayforums/topic/shantae-4-smash-4-fan-made-concepts-for-shantae-in-smash-4/

Also here's Mike Harvey's DA: http://mikeharvey.deviantart.com/

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
I think we just lost a shantae supporter. On gamefaqs someone made a post saying I need a new most wanted cause they feel shantae has no chance. Not for nothing it sux seeing that cause it just discourages me . part of me doesn't care about the ballot anymore cause all the characters that are "popular" claimed by others a lot I don't even like at all .
Hey, don't lose heart my friend! We just have to keep supporting Shantae as much as we can. Even if she doesn't make it in, I know that Wayforward, a company who has been loyal to Nintendo, appreciates us. They really do. They are some very good and creative people that understand and connect with the fans. We should keep on supporting not only Shantae, but Wayforward as well. So let's always show them the same love as they show us!

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Hey, don't lose heart my friend! We just have to keep supporting Shantae as much as we can. Even if she doesn't make it in, I know that Wayforward, a company who has been loyal to Nintendo, appreciates us. They really do. They are some very good and creative people that understand and connect with the fans. We should keep on supporting not only Shantae, but Wayforward as well. So let's always show them the same love as they show us!
Agreed.
Besides, we've already come this far. No reason to stop now, yeah? (-^-^-)
I know I'm sticking with my decision at the very least, and I'm certain many others are as well.
Supporters will come and go, that is honestly to be expected. What matters, is that you keep on fighting until that countdown clock hits zero. (After all, we've only got about 2-3 months left.)

We may not win this ballot, but let's give 'em everything we've got until the bitter end! Let your spirits burn strong, and show them why we love our Half-Genie Hero!

...These inspirational words doing anything for anyone...?
I'm not always the best at this sort of thing, I admit, but I'm committed. I assure you of that much.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Agreed.
Besides, we've already come this far. No reason to stop now, yeah? (-^-^-)
I know I'm sticking with my decision at the very least, and I'm certain many others are as well.
Supporters will come and go, that is honestly to be expected. What matters, is that you keep on fighting until that countdown clock hits zero. (After all, we've only got about 2-3 months left.)

We may not win this ballot, but let's give 'em everything we've got until the bitter end! Let your spirits burn strong, and show them why we love our Half-Genie Hero!

...These inspirational words doing anything for anyone...?
I'm not always the best at this sort of thing, I admit, but I'm committed. I assure you of that much.
Beautiful sir! Well spoken. Yes, let our spirits burn just as bright as the Half-Genie herself! Until the bitter end, we are Shantae supporters now and forever!!

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
This is what I'm afraid of with all the Shantae negativity. Ask him why he thinks Shantae has no chance. I don't post on gamefaqs but I have spent plenty of time refuting all the reasons for thinking Shantae has no chance. Whatever reason he says, I can give you a thorough explanation of why it's invalid.

EDIT: and you are more than welcome to copy or quote my explanation on gamefaqs. I've spent a long time writing carefully worded responses, so no reason not to put it to good use. I'm so irritated with people saying Shantae doesn't have a chance. I call people out on this on reddit all the goddamn time, and yet for every person I get to admit they are wrong, 10 more come out of the woodwork repeating the same bull****. Dispelling this nonsense is one of our most important jobs as Shantae supporters, since if it goes unchecked it will drive people away from her in droves, just like this guy.

Seriously, now that Shantae's visibility is up, countering the suggestion that she has no chance everywhere it pops up is probably the most important thing we can do to boost her votes.

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
This is what I'm afraid of with all the Shantae negativity. Ask him why he thinks Shantae has no chance. I don't post on gamefaqs but I have spent plenty of time refuting all the reasons for thinking Shantae has no chance. Whatever reason he says, I can give you a thorough explanation of why it's invalid.

EDIT: and you are more than welcome to copy or quote my explanation on gamefaqs. I've spent a long time writing carefully worded responses, so no reason not to put it to good use. I'm so irritated with people saying Shantae doesn't have a chance. I call people out on this on reddit all the goddamn time, and yet for every person I get to admit they are wrong, 10 more come out of the woodwork repeating the same bull****. Dispelling this nonsense is one of our most important jobs as Shantae supporters, since if it goes unchecked it will drive people away from her in droves, just like this guy.

Seriously, now that Shantae's visibility is up, countering the suggestion that she has no chance everywhere it pops up is probably the most important thing we can do to boost her votes.
I agree I always defend her on that site. People always attack cause she is yhrif party and say she is obscure. Also that polls from reddit and other site she isn't really high up there, so they always use that to say she has no chance. BTW I got one person to vote for her yesterday lol.

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
Wow, I see I missed the most inspirational love speech toward Shantae and Wayforward. Brilliantly said, @ Damenshi Damenshi & @MidnightTwinkle:crying::)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Send this to that guy for me:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Here's a moveset idea for y'all.

Shantae Smash moveset ideas:

BASIC MOVEMENT and WEIGHT

(Idle) – Fighting Stance followed by some primping over time.

(Near Edge) – Shantae leans over and looks down a bit while holding her hair.

(Ground) – Shantae has normal running speed, good traction on the ground, less than average stopping power, and has a very slow crawl.

(Dash) – Shantae’s dash is extremely quick despite her normal running speed.

(Air) – Shantae’s jump is average, but her mid-air jump (which is based on her dungeon complete animation from the Shantae seires) is extremely floaty and gives her lots of control in the air at the cost of speedy air movement. She can go straight into her mid-air jump from the ground by pressing down and jump to mix-up her aerial approach, but this will take away her mid-air jump until she lands again. Also, by holding down the jump button after the ascent of her mid-air jump, she can slowly float downward, allowing her to mix-up her falling speed or gain more horizontal range.

(Weight) – Shantae is lighter than most human type characters. She gets knocked around very easily, and is naturally a fast faller. Her jump height is slightly above average and she is capable of floaty mid-air movement with the mid-air jump.
Shantae’s NORMAL ATTACKS

(Standard A combo) - (1st Attack) – Shantae starts off with a very quick, but weak, low kick with her front leg.
(2nd Attack) – Shantae follows up with a quick front side kick to high height from her back leg.
(3rd Attack) – Shantae ends the combo with a quick reverse spin kick to mid height. The same kick attack from Shantae PC.

(Dash Attack) – (Elbow Dash) - Shantae thrust forward elbow first. This attack hits once for solid damage and ok diagonal forward/upwards knockback. On hit or shield hit, Shantae recoils a bit from the impact and the end lag is reduced. However, if she misses, she’ll do a ukemi roll and there’s more end lag

(Up Tilt) - (Flip Kick) – Shantae does a flip kick that knocks foes into the air. This attack barely lifts foes with low damage of the ground, but can send foes with higher damage up much more. This attack also ends while Shantae is mid-air, so she can follow up with aerial attacks, fast fall to the ground, or mid-air jump depending on whats best for the situation.

(Side Tilt) - (High Hair Whip) – Shantae does a quick hair whip that hits high and can reach close-mid range. The start up, active, and end lag on this move is very short, so she can hit close opponents with low damage over and over. It has little knockback, light flinching, and can be angled upwards to punish jump ins. It also deals more damage at the tip.

(Down Tilt) - (Low Hair Whip) -Shantae does a quick hair whip that hits low and can reach close-mid range. The start up, active, and end lag on this move is very short, so she can hit close opponents with low damage multiple times. The damage, knockback and flinching is reduced compare to the higher version, so she can also hit opponents at slightly higher damage multiple times too. She can even crawl forward a bit between hits to add pressure or back a bit to space for the tip.

(Side Smash) - (Hair Whip) – Shantae does a mid ranged, mid height, and more powerful hair whip. It’s does great damage and the knockback is high, plus the very tip of the attack increases the damage and knockback. The attack can also be charged for even more damage and knockback and can tilt upwards to punish jump backs and opponents on platforms above or very slightly downwards to disrupt recovery attempts that go over ledges. A great attack from a distance, and perfect for punishing your foes retreats. Has some start up and end lag, but very short active.

(Up Smash) - (Spin Kick) - Works in a very similar way to the Up Tilt, however, Shantae will keep spinning in mid-air similar to Sonic's Up Smash. Also she will not end this move in the air. Instead she will return to the ground. Has medium end lag.

(Down Smash) - (Super Pike Ball) – Shantae uses Super Pike Ball to surround herself with 3 very fast spinning spiked balls. The longer its charged, the faster it spins and the more hits it does. This long lasting, multi-hit attack does great damage and even greater shield damage. It pulls the opponent in on hit, it punishes dodge attempts, and the last hit does decent knockback. It does have tons of end lag, so if the opponent is not hit or if the shield doesn’t break, then Shantae could easily get punished.

(Neutral Air) - (Twirl Attack) – Shantae does a violent multi-hit twirl attack from Shantae GBC that ends with an upward hair whip. The final hit does good damage and knockback.

(Forward Air) - (Mid-Air Hair Whip) – Shantae does a quick mid-air hair whip that can reach mid range. It’s speed and range is somewhere between the tilt and smash versions of the hair whip. It also does more damage and knockback at the tip.

(Back Air) - (Reverse Hair Whip) – Shantae quickly swings around to attack with her hair whip. The reach is the same as F-Air, but it has faster start-up and end lag at the cost of less damage and knockback. It also does more damage and knockback at the tip.

(Up Air) - (Mid-Air Flip Kick) – Shantae does a mid-air flip kick that shares the same properties of the up tilt. Using it the first time in mid-air will send Shantae higher up, but every use after that will not until she lands.

(Down Air) - (Twirl Dive) – Shantae does a downward angled spiral attack that hits multiple times and ends with a thrust kick for good damage and a diagonal spike. It has large active, and could easily miss the stage. Should be used with caution.
-------------------------------------------------
Shantae's SPECIAL ATTACKS

(Neutral Special) - (Fireball) – Shantae shoots a fireball from her fingertips that travels close, mid, or long range at a slow, average, or fast speed for weak, ok, or good damage and ok knockback depending on how long the attack was charged. This attack is fire element and the charge can be stored by shielding. It can be released anytime by pressing B again afterwards. Can’t charge in mid-air.

(Side Special) - (Exit Candy) - Shantae uses an Exit Candy to teleport horizontally. This move is great for moving in close or to get away quickly. Virtually no lag, you can easily combo this move if you use it on the ground. However, if used in mid-air Shantae will go into 'helpless falling.'

(Down Special) - (Storm Puff) – Shantae uses a Storm Puff and it floats up above Shantae and stays in place in mid-air. Shantae can hit the storm puff to move it to any direction and it’ll drift until it slows down and stops in place again. Once it’s fully charged, it’ll drop lightning very quickly then disappear. The lightning is multi-hit with ender, has an electrical effect, does huge damage and huge knockback to anyone that gets hit by it, including Shantae. Same in the air.

(Up Special) - (Float Muffin) – Shantae uses a Float Muffin to bounce a very high distance. There’s no attack properties to this move and it can only be used once until Shantae lands again, but it won’t put Shantae into a fall state. Perfect for recovery and ground to air follow ups whenever Shantae launches her foe high into the air from the ground.

FINAL SMASH - (Belly Dance) - Dancing! Seriously, use the dance mini game from the first Shantae game on GBC as the Final Smash. This would implement her belly dancing perfectly(besides using her taunts)! When players start Shantae’s Final Smash she’ll jump up on a stage in the background(similar to the Pokemon Trainer’s platform in Brawl) and begin bouncing back and forth as dance commands start to scroll up the right side of the screen. The commands would be the same ones as in Shantae GBC: Up, Down, Left, Right, B, and A. Every time the player inputs a command correctly a gem will be thrown on the stage. The gems do high damage and launch if they hit an opponent. The more successful inputs, the bigger the gems get. After the Final Smash ends Shantae will return to the same spot where she was when she activated the Final Smash in a similar way like Palutena.
Shantae's GRABS

(Tether Grab) - (Hair Grab) - Shantae can grab opponents and the stage edges with her hair.

(Pummel) - (Knee Jab) - Shantae jabs her knee into her opponent. Does only 1% damage but can be done very quickly in succession.

(Forward Throw) - (Hip Bump) - Shantae holds her opponent slightly off the ground and hip bumps them with her arms held up. This throw does average damage but doesn't launch very much.

(Up Throw) - (Hair Throw) - Shantae whips her head back and throws her opponent straight up. Good launch but not much damage.

(Back Throw) - (Hip Bump) - Shantae moves her opponent behind her with her hair and then hip bumps them with her hands closed together in front of her face. This throw does less damage than the forward throw but has very good launch.

(Down Throw) - (Dance) - Shantae throws her opponent at her feet and does a few quick dance steps on top of them before stomping, sending them slightly above her.
Shantae's TAUNTS

(UP TAUNT) - (Item get pose) - Shantae does a fist pump.

(SIDE TAUNT) – (Primping): Shantae makes adjustments to her bra, pants and hair.

(DOWN TAUNT) - (Dancing) – DANCE MODE: Shantae enters dance mode. The controls mimics the dance controls from the first Shantae game. Once you start dancing, you’ll have to press any direction, A or B button on 4/4th beat to keep dancing or miss a beat, shield, dodge, grab, or get hit or grabbed to stop and end dance mode.

SUPER SECRET TAUNTS!?!

Performing a certain series of dance steps after activating Dance Mode will make Shantae do a special taunt. After activating dance mode, press…

Down, Right – Shantae transforms into a monkey and taunts.

Down, Left – Shantae transforms into an elephant and taunts.

Down, A – Shantae transforms into a spider and taunts.

Down, B – Shantae transforms into a harpy and taunts.

Down, Down – Shantae transforms into a mermaid and taunts.

Down, Up, Up – Shantae transforms into a tinkerbat and taunts.

Down, Up, A – Shantae spawns a heart holder and heals 10%.
----------------------------------------------------
The secret taunts are just a fun idea. Not sure if they would be added.
The down taunt could also simply be Shantae does a random dance pose out of the six she had from Shantae GBC.

Most of this moveset was thought up by Mike Harvey. I have changed the Up Smash, the Side Special, taunts(one of them), and made up the throws.
I personally don't want Shantae to use any Pirate Equipment. She's a half-genie, not a pirate. She only used pirate equipment because she had too.
The equipment she uses in PC belongs to Risky Boots. Shantae won't be using pirate stuff in HGH. And seeing as we're getting a 'Risky Mode' I say Risky will be using them. Makes sense.
Also, I'm not against Shantae using transformations as attacks. I just think it would look odd to see her transform instantly. But that's probably just cause I love Shantae GBC so much lol.
But you generally use transformations to explore rather than fight(not always true of course. Elephant form says hello lol).

But this is just my two bits on the table. As always, #Shantae4Smash #VoteForShantae

If y'all want to see more check out the link:
https://wayforward.com/wayforums/topic/shantae-4-smash-4-fan-made-concepts-for-shantae-in-smash-4/

Also here's Mike Harvey's DA: http://mikeharvey.deviantart.com/
If Shantae doesn't go into a fall state from her :GCU::GCB: and her Heart Holder taunt is done at the right time camping she could easily be a A to A+ tier.

perfect.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Has anyone else made a Mii Fighter of Shantae, and have used her on online Tourneys that allow Miis, along with my name as "Shantae4SB"?

Yeah... That healing taunt shouldn't be in the game. That's a little too overpowered for a character.
Wait- Doesn't WFT's downB heal, or just make you stronger?

Or Ness/Luca's downB, which can be abused in Doubles if you have the right partner.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
I agree I always defend her on that site. People always attack cause she is yhrif party and say she is obscure. Also that polls from reddit and other site she isn't really high up there, so they always use that to say she has no chance. BTW I got one person to vote for her yesterday lol.
By far the most common argument people give for thinking Shantae has no chance is that she is third party and not a giant gaming icon. Here is a slightly edited version of the explanation I always give for why this is a poor argument:

It's no secret that so far all of the third party characters in Smash are huge gaming icons. However we need to be a little more cautious when inferring things about the decision making process behind this.

Why would the dev team want to limit the number of third party characters? Presumably for three reasons: 1) because boosting third party characters isn't necessarily in Nintendo's commercial interests if it benefits their rivals, 2) because third party characters threaten to dilute the Nintendo flavor of the game, and 3) because negotiating IP rights for third party characters can be difficult and expensive.

Since third party characters generally present all three of these obstacles, they would only be worth including if they were such gaming legends that their prestige outweighs all three of those factors. However if a third party character had a near exclusive relationship with Nintendo, and the company that owned them were eager to see their character included, then the dev team might decide that those three reasons are not so applicable. Furthermore the dev team might feel that since the characters are DLC as opposed to content included in the main purchase, restrictions like those first two can be applied more loosely.

I would guess that Nintendo's thought process is something like that, especially given that Nintendo clarified that any videogame characters are fair game when asked specifically about third party characters. However it is still possible that instead of that, Nintendo just has an inviolable rule against third party characters in Smash, with special exceptions made only for the most iconic faces in all of gaming.

The point is that we can only speculate on the subject, and anyone who claims to know for sure one way or the other is full of ****. Sakurai and his team might be willing to consider Shantae, or they might not. As fans all we can do is express our opinions, cast our votes, and hope for the best.

~​

As for Shantae's popularity in the polls, there are no good polls right now. It just depends which ones you look at. In fact, in pretty much all of the recent polls I have seen, Shantae has been doing extremely well. Most of the polls where Shantae isn't doing so hot are very outdated. Besides, the ballot isn't won by popular vote anyway. Shantae will definitely be popular enough that Sakurai and friends will at least look at and discuss her as a potential character, and at that point what matters isn't whether she scored #5 or #15 on the ballot, but the actual reasons for and against her inclusion. And that is exactly the position that Shantae wants to be in.

~​

The last argument I hear against Shantae is that she isn't well-known in Japan. This is harder to argue against than the third party thing, but only because the third party character thing is obvious bs.

Lack of recognition in Japan is a drawback for Shantae, but it's very unlikely to be a fatal issue for her. We don't have any way of knowing exactly how Sakurai will weigh this factor. Ken Sugimori of Pokemon fame has expressed his support for Shantae, so clearly he doesn't think it's an impossible idea, and presumably he has more insight into how these factors are considered than any of us do. In any case, it is very hard to imagine most Japanese fans reacting negatively to Shantae's announcement - cute female characters tend to go over well there. This is the country that invented the "waifu" concept after all. Plus there are Japanese localizations in the works for Shantae, so Nintendo could see this as an opportunity to make a ton of eshop sales in Japan as soon as those localizations are finished.

~​

And here's the point to be made about all these objections, which should really be brought up with all of them, especially the lack of Japanese recognition complaint. Shantae faces obstacles, sure. But she is totally viable when you consider the context of the characters she is competing with. With the exception of K. Rool, Wolf, and maybe Isaac, all of the characters she competes with also face big obstacles that when considered in isolation, could keep them out of the game. Indeed, these obstacles explain why none of these characters have made it yet. However one or more of these characters aside from K. Rool, Wolf, and Isaac is likely to make it in as DLC. Shantae has a very reasonable shot at being one of them.

~​

Everyone is more than welcome to borrow these and save yourself the time of typing out a rebuttal from scratch. I personally don't care if you cite me or not, but since I have already used these elsewhere, it's probably best if you do, so as to avoid giving the impression that there is actually just one really determined Shantae supporter out there inflating her presence.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Yeah... That healing taunt shouldn't be in the game. That's a little too overpowered for a character.
Overpowered? You would be lucky to get it off. Shantae has to go through THREE dance animations. All someone would have to do is dash attack into her to stop her. So no, I don't see it being overpowered.

Oh, and yes, WFT does heal from Heavy Breathing. WFT also can heal from Sun Salutation, which is even better if done after Heavy Breathing.

Last edited:

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
By far the most common argument people give for thinking Shantae has no chance is that she is third party and not a giant gaming icon. Here is a slightly edited version of the explanation I always give for why this is a poor argument:

It's no secret that so far all of the third party characters in Smash are huge gaming icons. However we need to be a little more cautious when inferring things about the decision making process behind this.

Why would the dev team want to limit the number of third party characters? Presumably for three reasons: 1) because boosting third party characters isn't necessarily in Nintendo's commercial interests if it benefits their rivals, 2) because third party characters threaten to dilute the Nintendo flavor of the game, and 3) because negotiating IP rights for third party characters can be difficult and expensive.

Since third party characters generally present all three of these obstacles, they would only be worth including if they were such gaming legends that their prestige outweighs all three of those factors. However if a third party character had a near exclusive relationship with Nintendo, and the company that owned them were eager to see their character included, then the dev team might decide that those three reasons are not so applicable. Furthermore the dev team might feel that since the characters are DLC as opposed to content included in the main purchase, restrictions like those first two can be applied more loosely.

I would guess that Nintendo's thought process is something like that, especially given that Nintendo clarified that any videogame characters are fair game when asked specifically about third party characters. However it is still possible that instead of that, Nintendo just has an inviolable rule against third party characters in Smash, with special exceptions made only for the most iconic faces in all of gaming.

The point is that we can only speculate on the subject, and anyone who claims to know for sure one way or the other is full of ****. Sakurai and his team might be willing to consider Shantae, or they might not. As fans all we can do is express our opinions, cast our votes, and hope for the best.

~​

As for Shantae's popularity in the polls, there are no good polls right now. It just depends which ones you look at. In fact, in pretty much all of the recent polls I have seen, Shantae has been doing extremely well. Most of the polls where Shantae isn't doing so hot are very outdated. Besides, the ballot isn't won by popular vote anyway. Shantae will definitely be popular enough that Sakurai and friends will at least look at and discuss her as a potential character, and at that point what matters isn't whether she scored #5 or #15 on the ballot, but the actual reasons for and against her inclusion. And that is exactly the position that Shantae wants to be in.

~​

The last argument I hear against Shantae is that she isn't well-known in Japan. This is harder to argue against than the third party thing, but only because the third party character thing is obvious bs.

Lack of recognition in Japan is a drawback for Shantae, but it's very unlikely to be a fatal issue for her. We don't have any way of knowing exactly how Sakurai will weigh this factor. Ken Sugimori of Pokemon fame has expressed his support for Shantae, so clearly he doesn't think it's an impossible idea, and presumably he has more insight into how these factors are considered than any of us do. In any case, it is very hard to imagine most Japanese fans reacting negatively to Shantae's announcement - cute female characters tend to go over well there. This is the country that invented the "waifu" concept after all. Plus there are Japanese localizations in the works for Shantae, so Nintendo could see this as an opportunity to make a ton of eshop sales in Japan as soon as those localizations are finished.

~​

And here's the point to be made about all these objections, which should really be brought up with all of them, especially the lack of Japanese recognition complaint. Shantae faces obstacles, sure. But she is totally viable when you consider the context of the characters she is competing with. With the exception of K. Rool, Wolf, and maybe Isaac, all of the characters she competes with also face big obstacles that when considered in isolation, could keep them out of the game. Indeed, these obstacles explain why none of these characters have made it yet. However one or more of these characters aside from K. Rool, Wolf, and Isaac is likely to make it in as DLC. Shantae has a very reasonable shot at being one of them.

~​

Everyone is more than welcome to borrow these and save yourself the time of typing out a rebuttal from scratch. I personally don't care if you cite me or not, but since I have already used these elsewhere, it's probably best if you do, so as to avoid giving the impression that there is actually just one really determined Shantae supporter out there inflating her presence.
You just served me life lol

Lord Sturm

Smash Rookie
. Ken Sugimori of Pokemon fame has expressed his support for Shantae, so clearly he doesn't think it's an impossible idea, and presumably he has more insight into how these factors are considered than any of us do.
is there any Source about it? some people said that too but i cant find the source

jamesster445

Smash Lord
As a Fluff supporter in a world running with Bandana Dees, I understand the struggle.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

~​

~​

~​

~​

Two things:

1. "not iconic enough" isn't a legitimate argument anymore, internet. Nowadays, a majority of Smash Bros characters, since day one, have been obscure. The only reason Ness and Captain Falcon are in Smash Bros is because Mother 3 was going to originally be on the N64, and F-Zero X recently came out. Heck, the Mother series is still Nintendo's worst selling franchise that is represented in Smash. Heck, almost nobody knew who Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, and most importantly: Marth and Roy, until Melee. For Brawl: nobody remembered who Pit was, Mother 3 on the GBA sold poorly and was Japan-only anyway, so Lucas didn't help, and I don't think anyone wants to remember R.O.B.

2. "Shantae doesn't have a large audience in Japan"

...And? Neither does Sonic (His games actually sell WORST in Japan, and the best in Europe). Besides, a lot of Nintendo's money comes from America and Europe. Not to mention that we've gotten 3 characters who were in japan-exclusive games at the time of their debut, not to mention a game that was sold in extremely limited quanities in America (:4shulk:).

Actually, Shantae DOES have an audience in Japan, a rather surprising one, as well. In addition to an average number of people voting and creating fanart, fairly popular names in Japan love Shantae!

>Inti Creates has quickly become popular in Japan, and have enjoyed working on her titles

>Nishizawa, the creator of the once-famous "Monster World" franchise, backed Half-Genie Hero.

>Ken Sugimori, the artist of Pokemon, likes her as well!

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Two things:

1. "not iconic enough" isn't a legitimate argument anymore, internet. Nowadays, a majority of Smash Bros characters, since day one, have been obscure. The only reason Ness and Captain Falcon are in Smash Bros is because Mother 3 was going to originally be on the N64, and F-Zero X recently came out. Heck, the Mother series is still Nintendo's worst selling franchise that is represented in Smash. Heck, almost nobody knew who Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, and most importantly: Marth and Roy, until Melee. For Brawl: nobody remembered who Pit was, Mother 3 on the GBA sold poorly and was Japan-only anyway, so Lucas didn't help, and I don't think anyone wants to remember R.O.B.

...And? A lot of Nintendo's money comes from America and Europe. Not to mention that we've gotten 3 characters who were in japan-exclusive games at the time of their debut, not to mention a game that was sold in extremely limited quanities in America (:4shulk:).

Actually, Shantae DOES have an audience in Japan, a rather surprising one, as well. In addition to an average number of people voting and creating fanart, fairly popular names in Japan love Shantae!

>Inti Creates has quickly become popular in Japan, and have enjoyed working on her titles

>Nishizawa, the creator of the once-famous "Monster World" franchise, backed Half-Genie Hero.

>Ken Sugimori, the artist of Pokemon, likes her as well!
Pit was like the Duck Hunt of Brawl, popular by hardcore gamers, but not casuals. Everyone else you named...not so much.

Last edited:

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice

~​

~​

~​

~​

Nicely said.

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice

...And? Neither does Sonic (His games actually sell WORST in Japan, and the best in Europe).
That's like saying Mario doesn't have popularity in Japan just because his games sell better in America.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If Rayman is added, I just hope that his in-game model's design is different from the trophy's.

It just seems... Off to me. Am I the only one who thinks the model from 3 and onward worked better?

Last edited:

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Why isn't Isaac on that second list. He's not in Smash 4 as a Mii costume, AT, etc., so he should be #2 on that second list. Sorry about getting off topic but Isaac's my most wanted character (sorry guys, Shantae's #2 for me) I'm not trying to start a fight I just wanted to clear that up a little.

Edit: I'm talking about Isaac from Golden Sun.
I'm very sorry for that. I wasn't sure myself when I posted the list and hastily checked on wikipedia not noticing that I was looking at the BRAWL list of assist trophies. My bad I edited the post

Top Bottom